Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Things are getting more and more f**ked up over in Tennessee as they go heavy on anti-LGBT rights.
    Let's not forget conservatives and right wingers want to keep government OUT of the lives of the people. Just thought I'd bring that up.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Speaking of right wingers, check out these obvious racist a-holes.

The six senators who voted to block debate on bill aimed at targeting hate crimes against Asian-Americans.
    Cotton (R-AR)
    Cruz (R-TX)
    Hawley (R-MO)
    Marshall (R-KS)
    Paul (R-KY)
    Tuberville (R-AL)

A whos who of hate!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Things are getting more and more f**ked up over in Tennessee as they go heavy on anti-LGBT rights.
    My aunt is all for this. Sexuallity should not be in schools. kids shouldnt be learning about gay people because that is a sexual topic and it needs to stay out of the class.

I pointed out how mad she got when they were talking about banning books with racial slurs and she called it cancel culture. I said banning books with gay people is cancel culture just in the pother direction. She said no books like that teach sexuality so it is not cancel culture. I tried to point out slurs teach racism. She said no one is dumb enough to take their values from a book written a long time ago.

I just asked. So the bible is not a book? And I left the room.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Not surprised Fled Cruz is on that list. I'd love to know what their rationale was for blocking that debate, other than the GQP needs a group of people to discriminate against.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 04-15-2021 at 01:23 AM.

No big surprises there.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Astonishing Member
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

I'm sure that has Alex Jones sweating bullets.

Black Buffalo police officer fired for trying to stop chokehold wins ruling, to get pension

The officer, Cariol Horne, was fired following a 2006 incident in which she tried to stop an officer from using a chokehold on a handcuffed suspect. Horne served on the Buffalo police force for 19 of the 20 years required to receive a pension.
    "The message was sent that you don't cross that blue line and so some officers — many officers don't," Horne said in a 2020 interview with CNN's Brianna Keilar.

"I had five children and I lost everything but [the suspect] did not lose his life," Horne said then. "So, if I have nothing else to live for in life, at least I can know that I did the right thing and that [he] still breathes."

Tuesday's ruling restored Horne's pension and vacated an earlier court ruling upholding her dismissal.

CNN reached out to the city on Wednesday but received no immediately reply. Michael J. De George, spokesman for Buffalo, told the Buffalo News: "The City has always supported any additional judicial review available to Officer Horne and respects the court's decision."

Neither the Buffalo Police Department nor the Buffalo Police Benevolent Association immediately responded to a request for comment.

"The legal system can at the very least be the mechanism to help justice prevail, even if belatedly," Erie County Supreme Court Judge Dennis E. Ward wrote in his decision.

Ward referenced the cases of George Floyd — who died after a Minneapolis police officer pressed his knee on his neck for nearly nine-and-a-half minutes — and Eric Garner— the New York man who died after being placed in a chokehold — among other alleged instances of excessive force by police.

"One of the issues in all of these cases is the role of other officers at the scene, and particularly their complicity in failing to intervene to save the life of a person to whom such unreasonable physical force is being applied," Ward wrote.

Ward referenced Buffalo lawmakers who penned a law obligating police officers to intervene in instances of excessive force and named the legislation after Horne. In so doing, Ward wrote, the city "has thus already determined that Officer Horne intervened to save the life of a civilian."

Horne addressed the court decision in a statement issued through her attorney.

"My vindication comes at a 15 year cost, but what has been gained could not be measured," she said. "I never wanted another Police Officer to go through what I had gone through for doing the right thing."

She called on lawmakers nationwide to pass similar legislation to Buffalo's "Cariol's Law," which obligates officers to intervene and seeks to legally protect those who do.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bl...on/ar-BB1fF2UG

Treasury further confirms that not only is former Manafort associate Konstanin Kilimnik a "Russian Intelligence Services agent" but that he "provided the Russian Intelligence Services with sensitive information on polling and campaign strategy" -- the campaign being Trump's.
    Twitter Link
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I guess repeating "Russian Hoax" ad nauseum is not working anymore.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Golly gee whillickers! What a surprise----NOT!!

Wisconsin teachers resign after investigation into slavery lesson

SUN PRAIRIE, Wis. — Three Wisconsin middle school teachers have resigned after they put together a lesson for sixth-graders asking them how they would punish slaves.

The Wisconsin State Journal reported Wednesday that an investigation conducted by Axley Attorneys on behalf of the Sun Prairie Area School District found that the Patrick Marsh Middle School teachers collaborated on the assignment two or three years ago but the lesson was outside district curriculum and no one at any leadership level approved it.

The assignment asked students how to punish a defiant slave using Hammurabi’s code, a set of laws in ancient Mesopotamia. The investigation also found the assignment included other “offensive” questions.

The assignment came to light in February when a parent complained. The parent asked for the lesson to be taken down due to its “inappropriate and sensitive nature,” the investigation found, but the teacher refused. The parent called the principal, who told the teachers to remove the assignment. The teachers were placed on leave.

US company illegally peddling ‘miracle cure’ bleach for new Covid variants

Peddlers of industrial bleach who urge Americans to drink the fluid as a “miracle cure” for cancer, HIV/Aids and other diseases have begun touting the product illegally as a treatment for the latest variants of Covid-19.

Chlorine dioxide, a powerful bleaching agent used in textile and paper manufacturing, is being compounded and sold out of a makeshift laboratory in Miami, Florida. The company, Oclo Nanotechnology Science, is playing on fears of the new strain of the coronavirus discovered in the UK, which is now spreading rapidly and widely through the US.
    The Miami company is invoking B117 to drive up sales of its bleach products, which the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warns are potentially dangerous and can be life-threatening. The front page of Oclo’s website is dominated by a photograph of vials of its chlorine dioxide product billed as an “antiviral” treatment.

The image is superimposed with the words: “B117 … new variant of coronavirus, the most contagious and dangerous in the United States. Rescuing chlorine dioxide and its great curative potential against pathogens.”

The appearance of a new marketing push out of Miami by peddlers of the bleach “cure”, often referred to as “miracle mineral solution”, or MMS, signals the FDA’s uphill struggle in trying to control the potentially lethal trade. Since the start of the pandemic, the federal agency has been clamping down on fraudulent products which claim to treat or cure Covid-19.

I guess it's good at least that middle schoolers are learning about Hammurabi's Code (I don't recall learning about it until I was in high school). While you could certainly phrase homework questions about the code in any number of inoffensive ways, at the same time I think this was a bit of an overreaction. Slavery is a historical issue, and there are more "eras" of slavery besides just pre-Emancipation slavery in the United States. If it's too offensive and sensitive to learn that such eras and their conditions existed, then I guess Education should just throw in the towel.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci