Glad to wake up to find Chauvin was found guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Still possible he might file an appeal, but yeah guilty on ball charges.
    In that context where the President’s remarks about “praying for the right result” potentially harmful? (i.e. Might they provide part of the grounds for appeal?)

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Sentencing hasn't begun yet.
    Are there minimum sentencing laws in Minnesota regarding the specific crimes that Chauvin has been convicted of?
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Ex-officer Chauvin won't serve a full sentence in prison.
    Probably not, given how cops fare in prison.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Solitary will probably be required, but eventually they'd have to ease the guy into general population. Solitary will drive a person mad after too long. So either way the dice is rolled and he takes his chances.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

On this date in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, as well as 2020, "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" published profiles of Tony Tinderholt, a member of the Texas House of Representatives and Jared Lee Loughner look-alike who hangs out with anti-immigrant militia groups and talks about arming Americans all along the U.S./Mexico border to stop Mexicans from taking “free stuff” and “thieving”. His solution to the immigration crisis is “people are going to die and that’s the only thing that is going to stop migrants from taking the lifeblood of our country.” Tinderholt has also told open-carry advocates in his district to call him immediately if the police even question them for wandering around with a firearm. Best of all was Tinderholt’s reaction to a Texas probate judge ruling that the state must comply with the Supreme Court’s rulings on same sex marriage… Tinderholt tried rallying against the judge for this, but in his effort online to do so, named the wrong case and the wrong judge. Making his crusade to protect the sanctity of marriage on Christian principles even more ridiculous and hypocritical is the fact that Tinderholt has been divorced four times, and is on his fifth marriage by the age of 44. He also has been under an ethics investigation for “misplacing” $15,000 in campaign funds, something that is not shocking when you consider that back in 1999, one of his ex-wives and employees were embezzling money from a child care business he ran to buy crack cocaine (at least it was without Tinderholt’s knowledge). Since being allowed to continue his legislative career into a second term, he has already shown no signs of chilling out, now directing his attention towards abortion. And like any Tinderholt effort, it's extreme and insane. He sponsored HB 948, "The Abolition of Abortion in Texas Act". Tinderholt followed up just that inflammatory idea with a series of quotes that take misogyny towards a level best described as completely insulting:

Right now, it’s real easy. Right now, they don’t make it important to be personally responsible because they know that they have a backup of ‘oh, I can just go get an abortion.’ Now, we both know that consenting adults don’t always think smartly sometimes. But consenting adults need to also consider the repercussions of the sexual relationship that they’re gonna have, which is a child.”
    Yes, those pesky wimmenfolk just don't know anything about being personally responsible about sex, amirite, fellas? Especially the rape and incest victims who aren't exempted by the bill Tinderholt just wrote, those non-smartly thinking consenting adults. (Please note those past two sentences are laced with all of the sarcasm I can muster.)

People did ask Tinderholt why he makes no exceptions for rape or incest, and this was his response:

"I'm a firm believer that God creates children in his own image, regardless of how that child is brought into the world, it’s created in his image, and how can someone want to destroy that? I don’t think that there should be any exceptions to murder, no matter what. So, if this child was out of the womb and it was a child that was born out of rape or incest, no one would be OK with killing a child. I look at it like that child is a child in the womb, just like it’s out.”
    So unless a rapist were to father a child that looks non-human, Tinderholt feels everyone should be thrilled. Got it. Oh, and we'll point out that while Tinderholt feels there should be no exceptions to murder, he's still fine with the death penalty. Last we checked, executioners are an exception to murder, so there's that.

We don’t have too much to update of late on Tony Tinderholt, save for the fact that in May of 2017, he sabotaged a bill to create stricter penalties for animal cruelty amending it to remove that punishment, and stating his desire to do so was out of spite over his previous legislation on abortion not passing to criminalize it.

Tinderholt spent part of his last term in office trying to criminalize all abortion, this time specifying in his legislation that it would be murder every time a zygote was killed after FERTILIZATION. Yes, outlawing abortion isn’t extreme enough for this twit, he’s going to blunder his way into criminalizing birth control pills as murder while he’s at it. And women who would do such a thing? They should be given the death penalty, in Tinderholt’s warped mind.

Oh, and there also was the deliciously ironic moment that after he attacked even the minimal mask mandates being created by Texas Gov. Greg Abbott in August of 2020, shortly after f***ing around, Tinderholt found out, contracting Covid-19, ending up being hospitalized, and telling the media, “IT’S REAL, IT IS SERIOUS.” (No s***, Tony.)

Tony Tinderholt won re-election in 2020 with a less-than-comfortable 51% of the vote. We look forward to the day when we can report he got less than his Democratic opponent because obviously his constituents deserve better than this maniac.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Solitary will probably be required, but eventually they'd have to ease the guy into general population. Solitary will drive a person mad after too long. So either way the dice is rolled and he takes his chances.
    Can't say I find myself feeling all that sorry for Chauvin.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    And because of course this happened today around the same time the verdict was being read, a 15 year old black girl in Ohio called the police because she was being attacked. She was holding a knife because she was having to defend herself. So of course the police rolled on up and immediately shot and killed her.

This case seems messier than the initial reaction on social media.

https://tinyurl.com/umudmm7d

Bodycam footage showed that the girl had a knife, was charging at someone else who was pinned against a car.

The 10-second clip begins with the officer getting out of his car at a house where police had been dispatched after someone called 911 saying they were being physically threatened, Interim Police Chief Michael Woods said at the news conference. The officer takes a few steps toward a group of people in the driveway when the girl, who was Black, starts swinging a knife wildly at another girl or woman, who falls backward. The officer shouts several times to get down.

The girl with the knife then charges at another girl or woman who is pinned against a car.

From a few feet away, with people on either side of him, the officer fires four shots, and the teen slumps to the ground. A black-handled blade similar to a kitchen knife or steak knife lies on the sidewalk next to her.

A man immediately yells at the officer, “You didn’t have to shoot her! She’s just a kid, man!”

The officer responds, “She had a knife. She just went at her.”

The race of the officer wasn’t clear.
    Hmm- Associated Press links are censored, so I had to make a tiny url.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 04-21-2021 at 03:44 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Nancy Pelosi has thanked George Floyd for sacrificing his life for justice.

https://news.yahoo.com/nancy-pelosi-...st_sjwumo1bpf4

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Term limits will do more good than "age limits."

So would removal of parties AND special interest groups (if you leave one, it doesn't help with total reform).

Age limits don't save us from the Gaetz, Greenes, & Weiners.

I will take term limits first, although.
    I suspect term limits for legislative positions will backfire. It means the lobbyists and staff will have more institutional knowledge than any elected officials, and provides more opportunities for people like Gaetz who want to use Congress to get exposure. It's also easy to subvert with elected officials running for new offices when a term is up. A member of Congress can run for county executive or minor statewide office (Treasurer, Agricultural Commissioner, etc.) State legislators can swap seats with city councilmen.

Larger legislative bodies tend to have a mix of newcomers and seasoned pros, so it's not as much of a problem. There is still some potential fixes, like removing the institutional advantages that come with seniority. Its one thing for a veteran congressman to say that he should be chairman of an important committee because of his experience on the matter. It's a problem if the understanding is that it's his turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Hmmp, it was a bit reckless but at the end of the day I'm glad she did it. If for nothing else it made all the red-asses instantly hold up a comparison to Trump and his shitbird all-stars showing on 01/06. OH! So now the pro-maga leadership is not just playing stupid, that was a blatant piece of willful ignorance that showed it's head after Waters spoke out.

Chauvin was the lowest of **** fruit though and his defense was terrible because there's only so much lipstick and make-up on pig you can do. Odd turn of phrase there. It ain't over.
    The argument would be that we need consistency, and that it is hypocritical to defend Waters while trying to only go after Republicans who say something that's arguably incendiary.

It's certainly possible to have neutral standards where what Waters said is okay, but we do need to define what those neutral standards are.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    In that context where the President’s remarks about “praying for the right result” potentially harmful? (i.e. Might they provide part of the grounds for appeal?)
    It's probably better for elected officials not to say anything about trials, but that is a vague and ultimately unobjectionable comment, in that everyone wanted the right result. The disagreement would be about whether it was achieved (it was.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Nancy Pelosi has thanked George Floyd for sacrificing his life for justice.

https://news.yahoo.com/nancy-pelosi-...st_sjwumo1bpf4
    I doubt that was what Mr. Floyd had in mind when he walked in that store a year ago. I cringed when I heard that from Pelosi.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Justice was done here and I had read some people wondering ...if they would convict him on 1 or 2 at most. This surprised many people as they found him guilty the whole way.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

It's probably better for elected officials not to say anything about trials, but that is a vague and ultimately unobjectionable comment, in that everyone wanted the right result. The disagreement would be about whether it was achieved (it was.)
    Yes the right result was reached, thank goodness. (Given the weight of evidence in the case, it’s incredibly telling that was ever in serious doubt.)

But I think the full remarks made by the President went further than just making the anodyne statement “praying for the right result”, but actually made it clear what he thought the right result was.

I think that was a really dangerous thing to do....certainly it should surprise no one if it is used as part of the grounds of a future appeal.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...?ocid=msedgdhp

The situation ended with nobody getting hurt and the guy seemed reasonable. But I couldn't help but think he should be glad he wasn't black because he might have been shot dead.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Justice was done here and I had read some people wondering ...if they would convict him on 1 or 2 at most. This surprised many people as they found him guilty the whole way.
    I don't mind admitting I was one of those people who had been surprised at the outcome. I had heard legal experts say that if a verdict was reached early, say like after two or three days, it mean a consensus had been quickly reached on the counts. But, the longer the deliberations went on, the more likely the jury couldn't reach that consensus.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

This case seems messier than the initial reaction on social media.

https://tinyurl.com/umudmm7d

Bodycam footage showed that the girl had a knife, was charging at someone else who was pinned against a car.

Hmm- Associated Press links are censored, so I had to make a tiny url.
    ...That doesn't seem messier at all, the comment from the other bye-stander was 100% correct: she was just a kid, so the officer absolutely didn't need to shoot her in order to deescalate the situation.

And four shots?

In a crowded area?

That's definitely not a good decision, and goes against any basic training on fire arms.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 04-21-2021 at 05:22 AM.