Page 189 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 891391791851861871881891901911921931992392896891189 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,835 of 75153

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Protest at Floyd's hometown in Houston.

Yeah... at this point they might as well just open up the economy again. Social distancing is pretty much dead. We'll get a coronovirus spike either way, but in the least people can go back to work and get a paycheck while it's happening.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah... at this point they might as well just open up the economy again. Social distancing is pretty much dead. We'll get a coronovirus spike either way, but in the least people can go back to work and get a paycheck while it's happening.
    And I hope that the people proudly proclaiming “No Justice, No Peace” over and over again are fully prepared to accept whatever result comes their way in their responsibilities of willingly going out to protests knowing fully well how it could get potentially dangerous, and that it works out for them for the best with no regrets.

"Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I have seen many videos on twitter of white idiots, assholes, and ****-stirrers going out and vandalizing things to make it look like legitimate protesters are doing it, but the facts that these cops don't care and ARE ACTIVELY ENCOURAGING IT is beyond the pale.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/st...878105600?s=20

Asherville PD attacked and destroyed a city-approved medic station that included EMTs, doctors, and city officials among the protesters being treated.

They slashed water and sprayed all medical supplies so they could not be used. Again, this medic station was sanctioned by the city and had city workers manning it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...RDvADRByYtCZBU
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    And I hope that the people proudly proclaiming “No Justice, No Peace” over and over again are fully prepared to accept whatever result comes their way in their responsibilities of willingly going out to protests knowing fully well how it could get potentially dangerous, and that it works out for them for the best with no regrets.
    Riots aside, it's why I'm not out there protesting. I 100% sympathize, but I take care of my 85 year old mother and I wouldn't put her at risk for anything in the world.

But yeah... that's a whole other aspect to this story which is just waiting to drop. Even when the riots end and we're left with peaceful demonstrations, we're going to be hit with a massive coronovirus spike and the finger of blame will be pointed right at the protest. Between the pandemic, the riots, and Trump about to flood the streets with his Storm Troopers it's like 3 horror movies all rolled into one.

Intermediary

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    I have seen many videos on twitter of white idiots, assholes, and ****-stirrers going out and vandalizing things to make it look like legitimate protesters are doing it, but the facts that these cops don't care and ARE ACTIVELY ENCOURAGING IT is beyond the pale.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/st...878105600?s=20
    but its not really

ask any black and brown person

Many many PDs are definitely living in the "Its US vs Them" world and we should all be grateful for their "protection"

George Will, in a interview with Joy Reed, predicts that the hashtag that will trend on Twitter in 2021 will be #Trumpwho?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    George Will, in a interview with Joy Reed, predicts that the hashtag that will trend on Twitter in 2021 will be #Trumpwho?
    Wouldn't it be worse for Trump if no Trump related hashtags were trending? If he was ignored to that extent (beyond various tell-alls about behind the scenes problems in his administration and potential investigations?)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Intermediary

the Robert E Lee monument in Richmond will be removed

GOOD

this is LONG overdue - local organizations have been trying to get that thing removed for years

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam is expected to announce plans Thursday to remove one of the country’s most iconic monuments to the Confederacy, a statue of Gen. Robert E. Lee along Richmond’s prominent Monument Avenue, a senior administration official told The Associated Press.

The move would be an extraordinary victory for civil rights activists, whose calls for the removal of that monument and others in this former capital of the Confederacy have been resisted for years.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMan View Post

GOOD

this is LONG overdue - local organizations have been trying to get that thing removed for years
    I don't really have a dog in the Confederate monuments fight, but it galls me when the locals overwhelmingly want to take it down and the state forces an override law down the throat of the city.

Most of the things are racist to the extreme, but some do have a place. On battlefields, mostly, and perhaps in places associated closely with the person in question, but little else, IMO.

Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

GOOD

I think it was suggested to me of possibly putting such statues outside of museums only if they’re in heavily education-oriented environments and tell what wrongdoing was done, on the basis that educating someone shouldn’t be limited to museums, but if that truly turns out to be impossible, then exclusively leaving them in museums it is, or if not museums, then just have it thrown away and anything else not worth keeping around.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Wouldn't it be worse for Trump if no Trump related hashtags were trending? If he was ignored to that extent (beyond various tell-alls about behind the scenes problems in his administration and potential investigations?)
    Perhaps I should have phrased it differently. Will was asked what would happen in the Republican Party after Trump was voted out, considering how Codependent they have become with him. His reply was that they would be saying, 'Trump who?', that they would be so deep in denial that they wouldn't even acknowledge he ever existed. With that, comes the 2021 Twitter hashtag, #Trumpwho.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

I think you should listen to the retired military officials and the former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs who have roundly roundly disagreed with this

the military is a hammer, not a scalpel
    THIS.

Every time I'm hearing Trump or one of his lackeys saying that they need to bring in the Military, I think of the movie The Siege. In the movie the government is holding a meeting about sending the Military into New York, and Bruce Willis's character discourages the thought, saying "The Army is a broadsword, not a scalpel."

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    This really sums up how entrenched white supremacy is in America. If a black cop murdered a white man by pressing his knee on to his neck for eight minutes, asphyxiating him, that cop would’ve already been given a lethal injection or be having from a tree.
    That got me to thinking about the shooting of Justine Damond by Officer Mohammed Noor. Noor also had complaints against him, making it even more obvious that there is something wrong with the Minneapolis Police Department, and got 12.5 years. Let's see if the white cops even get convicted, and if they do, how long they go away for.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Perhaps I should have phrased it differently. Will was asked what would happen in the Republican Party after Trump was voted out, considering how Codependent they have become with him. His reply was that they would be saying, 'Trump who?', that they would be so deep in denial that they wouldn't even acknowledge he ever existed. With that, comes the 2021 Twitter hashtag, #Trumpwho.
    The current Mets-style 10 dollar word posting is probably going to trend to look for impressionable respectable faces like Melania at very worst, since she also looked pretty and female and respectable and caring enough ("Who cares" jacket aside) to advocate for responsible pandemic response when her spouse was going to cause thousandful deaths by the day.