Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    That's Gene Wilder.
    But its a Mel Brooks Movie.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    And, of course, you have the knuckleheads who scream bloody murder about how the Second Amendment is sacrosanct because of the importance of a well regulated militia being able to combat a tyrannical government, blah, blah, blah. That’s so much nonsense, I mean, how are a bunch of mouth breathing Gravy SEALs plunking tin cans in the woods on weekends supposed to stand up against a government that can shove the barrel of an M-1 Abrams tank through their living room window, or drop a smart bomb down their chimney from five miles up? PLEASE!
    Wouldn’t it be better to put that time and energy into staffing a government with representatives who demonstrate integrity and ethics so that people won’t have to worry about it turning authoritarian?
    It isn’t as much fun as looking tough and waving a gun around in the mirror or going to the range to shoot targets but at least they can appreciate knowing the country won’t implode and their children won’t be shot in their classrooms.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    It's the lack of factual evidence that is even more telling -- for instance, there is proof from other countries that gun regulation works, yet many Republicans are not even open to the attempt.

Just follow the money -- the NRA gives the Republican party money and political capital so that's who they represent in Congress.

That's why these "debates" are somewhat pointless -- the answers are usually obvious even if some won't admit to them.

-----

"NRA contributions underscore grip in GOP"

"The National Rifle Association (NRA) has funneled millions of dollars to Republican senators over the past decade and beyond, contributions that shadow the debate over new gun restrictions following the mass shootings in Buffalo, N.Y. and Uvalde, Texas.

The NRA contributed roughly $149,000 to Senate recipients in the 2020 cycle, with nearly all the funds going to Republicans, according to OpenSecrets.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) topped the list with $16,029 from the NRA in that cycle, followed by Sen. Bill Haggerty (R-Tenn.) with $10,550 and Lindsey Graham with $10,459.

In the 2018 cycle, the lobbying group funneled more than $35,000 to Senate GOP recipients, and in 2016, that number topped $139,000.

The NRA isn’t the only one spending heavily.

Gun Owners of America, a rival gun-rights group, allocated $45,100 to Senate recipients in the 2020 cycle, according to OpenSecrets, with 100 percent of proceeds going to Republican figures.

There’s also the National Association for Gun Rights. The group spent $20,000 on Senate races in the 2020 cycle, funneling money to five Republican candidates.

Those stacks of cash come with an expectation: that the lawmakers who receive money will side with the gun lobby and oppose legislation that seeks to impose further restrictions on firearms, including as pressure mounts over mass shootings."

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...e-grip-in-gop/
    And we know the NRA isn’t funded strictly by members. The gun and ammunition manufacturers own the organization and it wouldn’t surprise me to learn they own the others as well.
    Something else to note is the NRA is funding efforts in countries worldwide to loosen gun regulations. It’s good for business. They loosen regulations to sell more guns which increases gun violence overall which makes people afraid and motivates them to buy a gun for protection.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    That's Gene Wilder.
    Well, yeah. But Mel Brooks wrote it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    True and fair, my bad.

Astonishing Member

Fetterman Checks Into Hospital to Seek Treatment for Clinical Depression

Senator John Fetterman, Democrat of Pennsylvania, who was hospitalized last week after feeling lightheaded, checked himself into Walter Reed National Military Medical Center on Wednesday night to receive treatment for clinical depression, his office said on Thursday.

“While John has experienced depression off and on throughout his life, it only became severe in recent weeks,” Adam Jentleson, his chief of staff, said in a statement. He said that after undergoing an evaluation on Monday by Dr. Brian P. Monahan, the attending physician in Congress, Mr. Fetterman followed the recommendation for inpatient care at Walter Reed.

“John agreed, and he is receiving treatment on a voluntary basis,” Mr. Jentleson said.

Mr. Fetterman, 53, was admitted to George Washington University Hospital last week after feeling unwell during a daylong Senate Democratic retreat. He spent two days in the stroke unit, where he underwent an M.R.I. and other tests that ruled out another stroke and remained free of any seizures, a spokesman said.

The decision to seek help at Walter Reed underscored the challenges, both physical and emotional, that Mr. Fetterman has been dealing with since entering the Senate last month, a transition that has been vastly more difficult because of the strains of his recovery.
    Not good at all

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    FpHJXOKXsAICdcb.jpg

I'm sure enough wishing him well. But I have friends and family who have dealt with clinical depression, and the last sentence seems... very optimistic. Depression is not a flu you get over in a week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    I'm glad he's getting help, and hope he gets better. But man, the optics on this are terrible. It's callous, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    One has to wonder what might be if the Republican party actually lived up to the moniker of "compassionate conservative" and started showing real concern for the less fortunate.
    There's no such thing as compassionate conservatism. Conservatism, at its root, not only does not care about most people, it actively tries to harm them.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    And, of course, you have the knuckleheads who scream bloody murder about how the Second Amendment is sacrosanct because of the importance of a well regulated militia being able to combat a tyrannical government, blah, blah, blah. That’s so much nonsense, I mean, how are a bunch of mouth breathing Gravy SEALs plunking tin cans in the woods on weekends supposed to stand up against a government that can shove the barrel of an M-1 Abrams tank through their living room window, or drop a smart bomb down their chimney from five miles up? PLEASE!
    You had government tyranny a couple of summers ago, when police declared war on their communities because their communities had the nerve to ask them to please stop killing unarmed people in the street. The 2nd Amendment crowd did nothing about that, because they're cowards and hypocrites. The only 'tyranny' they're concerned about is the idea that the government might one day come and take their toys away.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I'm glad he's getting help, and hope he gets better. But man, the optics on this are terrible. It's callous, I know.
    Well, I’m sure Mr. Fetterman’s colleagues on the other side of the political aisle will show all due compassion and express their most sincere hopes for his recovery.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Ain’t happening.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    You had government tyranny a couple of summers ago, when police declared war on their communities because their communities had the nerve to ask them to please stop killing unarmed people in the street. The 2nd Amendment crowd did nothing about that, because they're cowards and hypocrites. The only 'tyranny' they're concerned about is the idea that the government might one day come and take their toys away.
    That's not quite true...the 2nd Amendment crowd went to join the Police side and help wage war against those communities even if they had to be driven in from other states. Still cowards, hypocrites, and many more unkind things I'm sure we could all say though.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

But not that line. Wilder ad libbed.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    But not that line. Wilder ad libbed.
    Only the last bit (IIRC), but that IS what makes the joke so hilarious.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Fantastic Member

Joh Fetterman had a stroke before this. Do you guys think the two could be linked?