Page 672 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 17257262266266866967067167267367467567668272277211721672 ... LastLast
Results 10,066 to 10,080 of 75153
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I don't actively recall being taught about the Holocaust when I was in school, but when I was 15 or so and interested in history, I stumbled upon that early 1970's British made documentary series about World War II, The World At War, and that was how I learned about the horrors visited upon the Jews by Hitler and Nazi Germany. And, let's keep in mind that Trump went out of his way to slurp Netenyahu and Israel, even going so far as to have the US Embassy moved to Jerusalem, now his cronies are pulling this abominable ****? Jewish-Americans should be outraged at what he's done.
    Did they not have a history class in your school?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    In my own history classes at school (in UK) we got nowhere near any 20th century events...school covered stuff like Spanish Armada, Napoleonic Wars. The American War of Independence was regarded as a fairly recent event...

I suppose covering Second World War In school might have been regarded as unnecessary...it was recent enough that most people had family that had fought, and events were well covered in tv documentaries.

The Trump Ad with the MiGs, those are also Russian troops based on the guns and equipment.

Maybe John Bolton will disagree?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yes, we had history classes, I just don't remember if the Holocaust was taught. That was well over forty years ago for me.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

Yes, we had history classes, I just don't remember if the Holocaust was taught. That was well over forty years ago for me.
    Oh, okay, lol.

The way you phrased, I thought you meant something else.

It was 20 years ago for me, and we certainly didn't skip it.

Did slide right over the colonization of Africa, though

I don't remember when it started, but we spent a lot of time learning about the Holocaust.

We learned about the Holocaust through our Temple. It was not taught in public school in Florida. They spent a lot of time on the Civil War though, with talk about "States Rights".
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

That is bananas. No wonder Florida is so fucked up.

I learned about the Holocaust in fourth grade. We even watched the tv mini-series starring Meryl Streep. Of course, we also learned about it in Hebrew School. Maybe because there's such a large Jewish population in Brooklyn, where I went to school, there was a demand for it to be taught as early as kids could handle it.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Judging from what I've heard and read about last night town hall fiasco (I wasn't about to risk what few brain cells I have left by watching it myself), Trump proved beyond any lasting shadow of doubt that he's woefully and pathetically out of his depth in any public setting where he isn't surrounded by sycophants, Kool-Aid drinkers, yes men, bootlickers and asskissers. Just like it wasn't smart of Trump to sit down for an interview with a reporter who helped bring down Richard Nixon, whoever told Dolt45 that doing a town hall was a good idea will soon have his head on a platter, if it isn't already. You can't tell me Trump wasn't furious after that shitshow ended because he'd been made to look like even more of a clown than he already is now.
    I really do think sometimes, that Trump doesn't really want a second term and is intentionally doing stuff to lose support.
    Watching television is not an activity.

I have little memory of excatly what I was taught in school, just a few things here aand there. Everything that was important I learned on my own or in college.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Astonishing Member

They taught us about the Holocaust when I was in high school during the 90s, even had a survivor speak to us. They barely touched the Japanese American camps though, except an English teacher who had us read a memoir.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    We learned about the Holocaust through our Temple. It was not taught in public school in Florida. They spent a lot of time on the Civil War though, with talk about "States Rights".
    I remember it being taught(also Florida public school) but as kind of a foot note, like the majority of my last history class in high school being WW2 and maaaaybe spending a day or two talking about Anne Frank and that being about it on the Holocaust itself, mostly just about the battles themselves and Nagasaki/Hiroshima. WW2 was kind of the cut off point to for the most modern stuff we covered, maybe some very very condensed civil rights movement and Vietnam stuff at the end but absolutely nothing on anything past that(graduated in 2009 for reference).

When I was in school, Vietnam wasn't history yet.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    I remember it being taught(also Florida public school) but as kind of a foot note, like the majority of my last history class in high school being WW2 and maaaaybe spending a day or two talking about Anne Frank and that being about it on the Holocaust itself, mostly just about the battles themselves and Nagasaki/Hiroshima. WW2 was kind of the cut off point to for the most modern stuff we covered, maybe some very very condensed civil rights movement and Vietnam stuff at the end but absolutely nothing on anything past that(graduated in 2009 for reference).
    God damn. I remember putting on a play for the Diary of Anne Frank in middle school. I can't imagine how you could teach modern history without a WW2 deep dive.