Page 162 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 621121521581591601611621631641651661722122626621162 ... LastLast
Results 2,416 to 2,430 of 75153

think globally. Act locally. register to vote. run for local or state office. join nonprofit civic awareness and social change groups. interact with local news media- by phone, email, social media. Get to know your public officials in your city/county/state. see if they need support or replacing. Learn how to do a 'deep dive' into historical narratives, and the moral cores of issues of import. The day-to-day grind of work, managing a business, managing a family can frequently be overwhelming. As cognizant, conscious humans, we have no excuse to not be mindful, aware, and empathetic. To do otherwise is to accept the consequences of being willfully ignorant, unaware, and callous.

People were shitting on the first set because their ignoring science because they want haircuts. The second set are protesting 100+ years of getting murdered. Bit of a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    If you are one of the minorities that are routinely targeted and killed with hardly ever any justice or real repercussions for the murderers. And are constantly told that "now isn't the time", or that this way or that way isn't the "right kind" of protest. If "they" would only do as they are told.

With an important election later this year, yet another slaughter in the streets of a black man and a hesitant arrest AFTER protesting began of a murdering cop I certainly cant criticize the anger and need to protest. Again not condoning violent protest at all.

Whats the right way to handle it then? I am not arguing its safe to congregate in groups. I am not arguing its the best thing to combat the virus. But, people are fed up. Do they just offer "thoughts and prayers" once again? IF they didn't start protesting would the murdering officer even be charged with anything yet?
    But I guess the question is whether or not more deaths from the coronivirus makes it worth it.

If the people who die end up being protestors, and they willingly took the risk I suppose that's fair. Still sucky but that's sort of how natural selection works... you take that risk and role the dice what happens happens. But I'd feel worse if any family members (particularly high risk ones) were to suffer the consequences of their decision.

I can see why people are so upset they feel the need to protest. A virus like this is not going to stop the fear and anger people feel. And with a lot of the peaceful protest I have seen people are trying to be smart about it. Wearing masks and such. I dont agree with the violence and looting at all. But I understand the need to hold peaceful protests and make your voice heard even in a time like this. I am just pretty sure we will have a huge outbreak of the virus in the future. But with states opening back up and people flocking to the beaches and that party in the Ozarks that was going to happen anyway. If people have the right to ignore social distance to hang at the beach people have the right to ignore social distance to protest for an important cause. This just may have accelerated the time table a bit.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    People were shitting on the first set because their ignoring science because they want haircuts. The second set are protesting 100+ years of getting murdered. Bit of a difference.
    Difference in the intent, not not a difference in the outcome. People will die for this either way. Maybe those deaths will be worth it... but I don't think that aspect of the it should be minimalized.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The Hatch act restricts political campaign activities by federal employees. That wasn't what Comey did.
    You're correct on that, unfortunately doing this allowed Comey to get his wish - Hillary not being president.

While I have an issue with Trump, I do also have an issue with the media and others for giving him outsized publicity in the primaries, which helped be the only alternative to Hillary Clinton.
    Not much of one. You're still blaming the Democrat for having the audacity to lose to a Republican.

I suspect Democrats greatly exaggerate the effect of Russian interference, which ended up being a fraction of total election spending.
    You suspect wrong. It didn't have to be a large scale operation, all they needed was to move the electorate in the right direction here and there and it worked. Russia's really good at it, and they're going to do it again in '20.

You're looking in the wrong direction, this was settled in the Supreme Court. The GOP went completely off the rails in that election with Diebold and what occurred in Florida.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily...connor-regrets

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    A majority is literally 50% plus one.

She had a plurality.
    Plurality is literally a synonym for "relative majority." It is a kind of majority. So she had the majority.

What kind of teacher are you, anyway?
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    If you are one of the minorities that are routinely targeted and killed with hardly ever any justice or real repercussions for the murderers. And are constantly told that "now isn't the time", or that this way or that way isn't the "right kind" of protest. If "they" would only do as they are told.

With an important election later this year, yet another slaughter in the streets of a black man and a hesitant arrest AFTER protesting began of a murdering cop I certainly cant criticize the anger and need to protest. Again not condoning violent protest at all.

Whats the right way to handle it then? I am not arguing its safe to congregate in groups. I am not arguing its the best thing to combat the virus. But, people are fed up. Do they just offer "thoughts and prayers" once again? IF they didn't start protesting would the murdering officer even be charged with anything yet?
    How about not RIOTING AND LOOTING. Anyone who watched that video knows George Floyd was murdered. They could have made a point, but when I see it escalate this this type of violence, my sympathy goes right out the window.

I'm sorry but this doesn't help their case in my eyes. And before any of you lash out at me, just think of this scenario. If the victim was of any other race. Asian, White, or even Latino, the world may not even blink twice much less have riots and looting.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    The latter have good intent and a good reason to be out there but it won't save them for the virus. They'll be at high risk of exposure at protests and riots. This is about public safety, not principles.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    That's probably a call by the Secret Service more than Trump himself.

Still, he's clearly feeling the heat. Moreso than usual.
    I doubt it. You always defend trump. I think you're one of those people who support him but are too ashamed to publicly do it because you're aware what a horrible person he is and an inept leader. But let's say the secret service did tell him to hide in a bunker. So what? He's the president, he doesn't have to hide. The country is going through the worst race riots since the 60s and instead of leading trump is hiding in a bunker. If my history is right, the JFK, LBJ, Nixon and Obama administrations saw widespread race riots but none of them hid on a bunker. They were out there doing their jobs something that trump needs to do.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    But I guess the question is whether or not more deaths from the coronivirus makes it worth it.

If the people who die end up being protestors, and they willingly took the risk I suppose that's fair. Still sucky but that's sort of how natural selection works... you take that risk and role the dice what happens happens. But I'd feel worse if any family members (particularly high risk ones) were to suffer the consequences of their decision.
    When you weigh the scales with the deaths of black people who have suffered from injustice and racism for hundreds of years since they were dragged over here to work for and build this country for free. And had to fight and scrape and shout for every bit of freedom they have from then till now. Yet STILL half the country is voting for and supporting racists. Racists in the highest office in the land advocating that they continue to be abused and mistreated and roughed up by police.

They continue to see that they are treated as "less than" they don't get justice for this obvious abuse and misuse of power. Weight that, hundreds of years of injustice against you personally being upset about this virus.

Not to mention the fact that black people are suffering from the virus at higher rates than others as well. Its easy to sit in judgement without the weight of all that oppression and other people conveniently looking the other way. So they can get what? Some anti abortion judges? Some more stock dividends and handouts to major corporations? Limits on more "brown people" being able to come here in any way?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Plurality is literally a synonym for "relative majority." It is a kind of majority. So she had the majority.

What kind of teacher are you, anyway?
    For first time for months dug out my Chambers 21st Century Dictionary and actually checked meaning of a word...

Plurality...
    First meaning...”the state or condition of being plural”

Second: “the condition of having more than one job” (especially in relation to the church)

Third: “a large number or variety”

Fourth: “a relative majority” (the dictionary notes this is the most common use in the US.)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    How about not RIOTING AND LOOTING. Anyone who watched that video knows George Floyd was murdered. They could have made a point, but when I see it escalate this this type of violence, my sympathy goes right out the window.

I'm sorry but this doesn't help their case in my eyes. And before any of you lash out at me, just think of this scenario. If the victim was of any other race. Asian, White, or even Latino, the world may not even blink twice much less have riots and looting.
    I clearly said several times rioting and looting is not the way. So not sure why you are bringing it up. I have never advocated or supported violent protest. With the one exception of the comment I made about the confederate monuments and statues. **** that **** tear it down.

And "your sympathy goes right out the window" is quite comforting to the hundreds of years of abuse and oppression your fellow Americans deal with daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post

And this is why the looters are so damaging to protests like this. Public sympathy for a LOT of people are thrown right out the window when business are being burned down and people are breaking into stores just to get free stuff? What the hell does this have to do with social justice? Not a dam thing. But that behavior becomes the face of the movement rather than the people who are doing the right thing for the right reason. It's so frustrating that selfish jerks wanting free stuff are always hijacking the narrative because they're not smart enough to realize how damaging it is to the cause, or they simply don't care. Screw how badly this makes protestors look if they can get a free Xbox from Gamestop.
    Last edited by XPac; 06-01-2020 at 07:09 AM.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    For first time for months dug out my Chambers 21st Century Dictionary and actually checked meaning of a word...

Plurality...
    First meaning...”the state or condition of being plural”

Second: “the condition of having more than one job” (especially in relation to the church)

Third: “a large number or variety”

Fourth: “a relative majority” (the dictionary notes this is the most common use in the US.)
    Not common enough for some people, apparently.

Coming up next, a very serious person will explain to us that the US is a Republican, not a Democracy.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!