Page 258 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 1582082482542552562572582592602612622683083587581258 ... LastLast
Results 3,856 to 3,870 of 75153

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Well, I voted. Did you?
    For a whole bunch of Democratic Governors...

Is Chicago a picture of how minority Americans should live in a truly equal 2020?

Past that, it doesn't really change that the "We Really Stuck It To 'Em..." bird flip wasn't really much of one when you take a step back and look at it again. Move that is totally worth making and the right thing to do in the year 2020? Sure.

A move where you have really stuck a thumb deep in the eye of racists in the year 2020? Doubtful.

I'm just saying that it's at least worth it to be straight with yourself about that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by KOSLOX View Post
    Iowa governor signs police reform bill that was passed in one day

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/12/polit...rnd/index.html

Key item

It prevents an officer from being hired in Iowa if they have a previous felony conviction, were fired for misconduct, or left before they could be fired for misconduct.
    If I told you how many folks I know that quit before something like that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Thinking about it in pretty basic "Nuts And Bolts..." terms, it would seem like there is a sort of plausible version of it where...

- Lady gets downwind of that that her husband had a long term affair with a woman.
    - There was not a really good "If Husband Cheats On Wife..." clause in the prenup she signed before getting married.
    - She sees that her husband having his wife divorce him after becoming the first lady would be a legitimate issue for said cheating husband.
    - She sees the position that this puts her in, and decides to renegotiate accordingly.

How it would seem to folks on the outside looking in? Largely a non-issue. No?
    I don't put a lot of stock in Trump's intelligence, but I don't see him ever signing a pre-nup with a 'no cheat' clause.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I don't put a lot of stock in Trump's intelligence, but I don't see him ever signing a pre-nup with a 'no cheat' clause.
    Sure.

His current wife seemingly found herself in a position where she had the sort of leverage that none of his former wives had, and did what almost any other person would do in the same situation.

I'll be interested to see what all the protesting does to the spread of Covid-19. I expect we'll see a big spike in roughly another week. So much for social distancing.

PS I'm not saying people shouldn't protest rather it is bad timing that things have happened the way they have.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Really fast I just heard about this from my Star Wars discord. Apparently a young man, Robert Fuller, was, well no way around this, found hanging in Palmdale California near city hall. Its claimed to be a suicide, but they are looking at it as a possible homicide as well. Sheriff is not answering questions about it.

https://abc7.com/robert-fuller-palmd...*****/6245421/
    Last edited by Darkspellmaster; 06-12-2020 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Really fast I just heard about this from my Star Wars discord. Apparently a young man, Robert Fuller, was, well no way around this, murdered by lynching, in Palmdale California near a government building. Sheriff is not answering questions about it.

https://abc7.com/robert-fuller-palmd...*****/6245421/
    I've seen this mostly on social media thus far. The cops trying to say it was a suicide... but his family are calling for an independent investigation because that doesn't sound like Fuller.

This could blow up in the news in a big way right now.

But something seems suspicious about this, to be sure.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 06-12-2020 at 08:24 PM.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    For a whole bunch of Democratic Governors...

Is Chicago a picture of how minority Americans should live in a truly equal 2020?

Past that, it doesn't really change that the "We Really Stuck It To 'Em..." bird flip wasn't really much of one when you take a step back and look at it again. Move that is totally worth making and the right thing to do in the year 2020? Sure.

A move where you have really stuck a thumb deep in the eye of racists in the year 2020? Doubtful.

I'm just saying that it's at least worth it to be straight with yourself about that.
    For the last 60 years since most of them were installed people have been trying to remove them.
    They existed as a reminder of centuries of slavery and systematic oppression.
    Their removal means that young black children won't have to live and grow up in their shadow. It's a positive step forward.
    Only you could piss on that for no more reason than to start a pointless argument.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I've seen this mostly on social media thus far. The cops trying to say it was a suicide... but his family are calling for an independent investigation because that doesn't sound like Fuller.

This could blow up in the news in a big way right now.

But something seems suspicious about this, to be sure.
    Ugh!, I live in Palmdale. He's right it's all over social media, but is only now getting into the main street press.

For the last 60 years since most of them were installed people have been trying to remove them.
    Their removal means that young black children won't have to live and grow up in their shadow. It's a positive step forward.
    Only you could piss on that for no more reason than to start a pointless argument.
    Which would be the exact reason that I said that it move that is totally worth making and the right thing to do in the year 2020.

As for it being some serious flip of the bird in a reality where Chicago is a place where one race is largely living apart from another with an entirely different set of opportunities(never mind how they are policed...)?

Come on.

Well, as a Historian (one of my undergraduate disciplines) I have mixed feelings about removing monuments of any sort. On the one hand, I get where you are coming from. On the other hand, because the Ancient Egyptians (for example) often destroyed their monuments and associated records (due to certain bad rulers later generations despised) our picture of Middle Eastern History is very incomplete including the probable (from what we have pieced together) true dark origins of monotheistic religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Well, as a Historian (one of my undergraduate disciplines) I have mixed feelings about removing monuments of any sort. On the one hand, I get where you are coming from. On the other hand, because the Ancient Egyptians (for example) often destroyed their monuments and associated records (due to certain bad rulers later generations despised) our picture of Middle Eastern History is very incomplete including the probable (from what we have pieced together) true dark origins of monotheistic religion.
    There’s a lot of debate about subject at moment in UK because protesters at Bristol hauled down a statute to a slaver (who towards end of life left money to Bristol to found schools, etc) and put it in nearby river.

Over the years many Bristolians had asked for the statute to be moved.

Personally I would prefer statutes to have an information plaque placed on them, recording their deeds.

But really if local opinion has consistently asked for removal (to a museum, say) I find it hard to come up with a logical argument for not moving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    There’s a lot of debate about subject at moment in UK because protesters at Bristol hauled down a statute to a slaver (who towards end of life left money to Bristol to found schools, etc) and put it in nearby river.

Personally I would prefer statutes to have an information plaque placed on plinth, recording their deeds.

But really if local opinion has consistently asked for removal (to a museum, say) I find it hard to come up with a logical argument for not moving it.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post

Personally I would prefer statutes to have an information plaque placed on them, recording their deeds.

The worst option is when they are completely destroyed rather than moved somewhere appropriate. I wish this wouldn't happen but I understand why it does.

The situation reminds me of what the Taliban or ISIS have done, granted for different reasons. Another thing, I'm deeply worried any precedent set now might later be abused say by extremist movements (mainly right-wing) who hate certain types of artwork or other historical figures if they come to power. This could easily prove a slippery slope.
    Last edited by Celgress; 06-12-2020 at 09:44 PM.

Another current debate in UK has been about the withdrawal of past TV programs from some platforms because of racial language, etc.

Latest example is removal of an episode of Fawlty Towers in which Basil upsets some German guests and The Major utters some unpleasant remarks about the West Indian cricket team.

On that I think I would regret the episode being permanently removed. It’s very funny, and I think it’s completely obvious the two characters concerned are not admirable.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 06-12-2020 at 09:47 PM.