Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    You know this is a social media joke because Cruz is wearing a mask.
    The image may be a joke but that's Cruz on his way to Cancun while his constituents freeze.
    Last edited by shooshoomanjoe; 02-18-2021 at 09:03 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    The image may be a joke but that's Cruz on his way to Cancun while his constituents freeze.
    The time for vacation might have been when he was in other state's business trying to get black people's votes thrown out. And lying about the election. Maybe not when his constituents are dying and freezing for days. He may not be able to personally help individuals, but he should be out there getting answers and applying any pressure he can to get power back and clean water to people.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Which ones are you talking about? And do you think they were right to do so?
    It was all of them. Except two guys in Washington State. They get a pass.

Man, the Cancun thing blew up so badly Cruz is already trying to get on a flight back home.

He got caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Nope. But that is a different argument than the idea that the response of unnamed conservatives to Ginsburg’s death justifies progressives acting a particular way.
    I did not make that argument, though. I said it was hard to take the high road about Rush Limbaugh, which honestly was the kindest and most respectful thing I could say about his passing away. That is not hyperbole; I deleted several other comments that came to mind first, because I didn't want to just spew hate. I did my best to resist my worst impulses, and tried not to contribute to making public dialogue just a bit more hateful by indulging them. In other words, I practiced behavior that was the polar opposite of what Limbaugh's career was devoted to encouraging.

I didn't mention RBG to say progressives should act like conservatives. It was an example of the "low road" that I was myself trying to avoid taking. If I'd wanted to just insult him (taking that low road) I could have and would have just done that.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    BOTH SIDES!

7 Times Rush Limbaugh mocked other people dying. Which includes RBG. When she was dying of lung cancer. Which just killed Rush.

Save it. Most of the "making fun of the deceased" Republicans are bleating about in Rush's defense is just people quoting Limbaugh. "Disparaging the deceased" is people just reminding everyone that his career work was building a personal empire on those disgusting statements that dehumanized everyone that wasn't a rich white guy.

That isn't maligning him. That's the facts about who he was, and what he did.
    The comments on RBG didn't reference her lung cancer, and were more about progressives making inflated claims about her qualities.

If someone were to mock the most ridiculous praise of Limbaugh seen in a conservative outlet, that's not the equivalent of mocking Limbaugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I see. But how about we look at all the quotes from Rush about people who just died? Can we give him the same "respect" he gave so many?

https://brokeassstuart.com/2021/02/1...-people-dying/
    It's a perfectly consistent to view to treat people the way they treated others. That is a different argument to articulate.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    I did not make that argument, though. I said it was hard to take the high road about Rush Limbaugh, which honestly was the kindest and most respectful thing I could say about his passing away. That is not hyperbole; I deleted several other comments that came to mind first, because I didn't want to just spew hate. I did my best to resist my worst impulses, and tried not to contribute to making public dialogue just a bit more hateful by indulging them. In other words, I practiced behavior that was the polar opposite of what Limbaugh's career was devoted to encouraging.

I didn't mention RBG to say progressives should act like conservatives. It was an example of the "low road" that I was myself trying to avoid taking. If I'd wanted to just insult him (taking that low road) I could have and would have just done that.
    That's fair.

There's certainly a moral value in not embracing the low road, both because taking the high road is the right thing to do, and because it is advantageous in the long term in terms of building credibility.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Limbaugh is just simply being treated in his death as he treated others in his life, nothing more, nothing less. He was a wretched, vile man and the world will be a better place without him.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Limbaugh is just simply being treated in his death as he treated others in his life, nothing more, nothing less. He was a wretched, vile man and the world will be a better place without him.
    I haven's said anything about Limbaugh's death so far. But I remember when Al Franken wrote his book and was criticized, even on the Left, for making fun of Limbaugh's weight and other things. His response was that he only does that to people who have made a career of kicking other people when they were down. For instance, Limbaugh made fun of Chelsea Clinton, calling her ugly and generally mocking her looks and this was when she was a teenager, when a person is the most insecure and sensitive about looks. He has mocked the deaths of other people.

That I'm not mocking his death is moot. We all know what kind of person he was. I'm sorry for people who knew him personally and cared about him but it would be utter hypocrisy to pretend he was anything but a hateful being who only made the world a worse place through his hate and lies.
    Power with Girl is better.

I love how when someone dies they take on this saint like quality and a person is very much wrong for pointing out that we all have to be sad about the person dieing. I am not going to crack jokes or say I am glad he is dead. But you know what I will not cry for anyone who treated people the Rush did. Nor am I going to pretend he was anything but a racist sexist *******.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

It would have been nice if Limbaugh was repentant for his language and behavior but he remained what he was until the end. He knew that he had lung cancer for months but never once showed remorse or empathy for anyone else. If anything, my condolences go towards his family. I won't disparage Limbaugh but I won't say anything good either because there's really nothing good to say.

I will just note the cosmic irony of someone who spent their life breathing hatred and ignorance into the world being felled by lung cancer.

Makes this lapsed Catholic wanna believe.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Astonishing Member

Reading social media posts, republicans don't care that Cruz went to Cancun. They didn't care that trump admitted to being a sex offender. They didn't care that Roy Moore was banned from a mall because he was hitting on teenagers. They didn't care that Greene mocked and harassed Parkland survivors. They don't care that several of their lawmakers and news casters have made sexist and racist comments. Seems like the only time people can do wrong, in their eyes, is when someone has liberal views.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Reading social media posts, republicans don't care that Cruz went to Cancun. They didn't care that trump admitted to being a sex offender. They didn't care that Roy Moore was banned from a mall because he was hitting on teenagers. They didn't care that Greene mocked and harassed Parkland survivors. They don't care that several of their lawmakers and news casters have made sexist and racist comments. Seems like the only time people can do wrong, in their eyes, is when someone has liberal views.
    They also didn't care when rioters stormed the Capital, when policemen were beaten and killed, when lawmakers lives where threatened. It's like some of these people have no souls.

He's heading back home!

"Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Still haven't seen Heidi with him. Maybe she stayed in Cancun.