Astonishing Member

It's not necessary to conduct a clinical diagnosis of dementia to notice that someone is in decline. I certainly noticed it in my mother (who did in fact eventually die of dementia) years before she reached the state where it was an actual medical problem. Now that I'm elderly, I notice it in myself. I'm not demented, but I am forgetful, I struggle to remember names and events that I would have known immediately just a few years ago, and I have trouble concentrating hard enough to understand difficult arguments that I could have analyzed (albeit with some effort) in years past. I know that many people remain sharp as a whip all their lives, but most people slow down mentally, and it doesn't take a medical exam to find evidence of it. The symptoms are apparent. As for Biden, I well remember his rambling "questions" of witnesses at hearings that went on and on for several minutes when he was a Senator, so that's nothing new, but his fumbling over words and sudden changes of thought mid-sentence do seem to be more frequent these days than I remember their being during the Obama administration. As for Trump, I didn't pay any attention to him prior to his presidency, so I really have no long-term baseline for comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    It's not necessary to conduct a clinical diagnosis of dementia to notice that someone is in decline. I certainly noticed it in my mother (who did in fact eventually die of dementia) years before she reached the state where it was an actual medical problem. Now that I'm elderly, I notice it in myself. I'm not demented, but I am forgetful, I struggle to remember names and events that I would have known immediately just a few years ago, and I have trouble concentrating hard enough to understand difficult arguments that I could have analyzed (albeit with some effort) in years past. I know that many people remain sharp as a whip all their lives, but most people slow down mentally, and it doesn't take a medical exam to find evidence of it. The symptoms are apparent. As for Biden, I well remember his rambling "questions" of witnesses at hearings that went on and on for several minutes when he was a Senator, so that's nothing new, but his fumbling over words and sudden changes of thought mid-sentence do seem to be more frequent these days than I remember their being during the Obama administration. As for Trump, I didn't pay any attention to him prior to his presidency, so I really have no long-term baseline for comparison.
    Thank you very much for your insight.

Flubs and rambling will happen but as long as he gets his point across then I think it's okay. What troubles me is what seems like avoidance to take media questions as he's walked away several times while they're calling out to him. The other day it happened and a reporter yelled, "when are you going to take our questions??", and I cringed for him.
    If the country was running swimmingly then it wouldn't feel like such a big deal but we're dealing with a lot of large issues at the moment.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Thank you very much for your insight.

Flubs and rambling will happen but as long as he gets his point across then I think it's okay. What troubles me is what seems like avoidance to take media questions as he's walked away several times while they're calling out to him. The other day it happened and a reporter yelled, "when are you going to take our questions??", and I cringed for him.
    If the country was running swimmingly then it wouldn't feel like such a big deal but we're dealing with a lot of large issues at the moment.

Sadly no matter how valid a person point is if they cant get it across in an effective manor it is meaningless. Politics quit being about policy the day mass media became a thing. it has become more about perception right now. Your mind is sound great, but you mispronounced some little European pocket country so clearly you cant be trusted with the codes! That is my issue with Biden's speech. not a mental health issue but it being a liability politically. Lets say he does run again in 2024 I dont know if he will or not but lets say he does. Ever misspoke word, every time he stops his sentence to collect his thoughts before starting again, every time he walks out with out answering questions will be brought up and be huge sound bites and talking points. And if he stumbles in a debate? it will be this 82 year old man cant form his thoughts in a debate, how is he going to do under pressure with world leaders, what is he going to do in a crisis? And they will say hey look at this, he is 82 now but 3 years ago look at how he was stamering and flubbing. So I am not worried about his mental health. I am worried about the ability to look like a competent candidate.
    Last edited by babyblob; 12-01-2021 at 09:31 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Sadly no matter how valid a person point is if they cant get it across in an effective manor it is meaningless. That is my issue with Biden's speech. not a mental health issue but it being a liability politically. Lets say he does run again in 2024 I dont know fi he will or not but lets say he does. Ever misspoke word, every time he stops his sentence to collect his thoughts before starting again, every time he walks out with out answering questions will be brought up and be huge sound bites and talking points. And if he stumbles in a debate? it will be this 82 year old man cant form his thoughts in a debate, how is he going to do under pressure with world leaders, what is he going to do in a crisis? And they will say hey look at this, he is 82 now but 3 years ago look at how he was stamering and flubbing. So I am not worried about his mental health. I am worried about the ability to look like a competent candidate.
    All of the above is valid and I'm sure there are plenty of people feeling the same as you. And I'm sure that is impacting his approval ratings.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    All of the above is valid and I'm sure there are plenty of people feeling the same as you. And I'm sure that is impacting his approval ratings.
    Sadly that is how it is. I Dont think he is doing a bad job im not worried about his mental health and if he runs Ill drop a vote for him. But many do think he is bad because of his flubs and how the GOP run with it.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Got an alert that the first case of the Omicron variant of COVID has been detected in the U.S.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Got an alert that the first case of the Omicron variant of COVID has been detected in the U.S.
    California right? That is what I heard.

Spreading unfounded rumors about Biden’s condition will only help get Trump re-elected.
    Some people are looking for an excuse to not vote for Democrats. How about you guys quit giving them one?
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Spreading unfounded rumors about Biden’s condition will only help get Trump re-elected.
    Some people are looking for an excuse to not vote for Democrats. How about you guys quit giving them one?
    If they decide not to vote for Biden because of what a random person on a comic book message board thinks then they were not devoted to vote for him any way. if they are looking for an excuse like you say then if it is not people talking about concerns they have which is legit and allowed then they will use gas prices or inflation or a number of other things. Dont put it on us when some one who doesnt want to vote for him at the end of the day does not.

Maybe most of the blame should go to places like CNN, MSNBC, or Fox News who have all talked about this subject many times rather then some people on a comic book board. i am sure more voters care about what they have to say then some of us.

And some of us are not spreading unfounded rumors. We are not saying Biden is crazy or unfit. just that he is not as good a speaker as he once was and that will hurt him.
    Last edited by babyblob; 12-01-2021 at 12:39 PM.

Meanwhile, Mark Meadows is saying in his upcoming book that Trump tested positive for COVID-19 three days before the first debate with Biden. Oh, and the Supreme Court is hearing the case today that they will probably use to overturn Roe vs Wade.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Meanwhile, Mark Meadows is saying in his upcoming book that Trump tested positive for COVID-19 three days before the first debate with Biden. Oh, and the Supreme Court is hearing the case today that they will probably use to overturn Roe vs Wade.
    There was always a question on when he was positive for Covid if I remember right. I have heard that he wanted to give Biden Covid. I dont doubt that at all.

The case they are hearing today. is that the one that challenges the Mississippi law?

Astonishing Member

Supreme Court seems inclined to uphold Mississippi abortion law that would undermine Roe v. Wade

The Supreme Court on Wednesday signaled it is on the verge of a major shift in its abortion jurisprudence, and is likely to uphold a Mississippi law that mostly prohibits the procedure after 15 weeks of pregnancy.

Whether that would mean overruling Roe v. Wade’s finding that women have a fundamental right to end their pregnancies was unclear. But none of the six conservatives who make up the court’s majority expressed support for maintaining its rule that states may not prohibit abortion before the point of fetal viability, which is generally estimated to be between 22 and 24 weeks.

Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr., often the most moderate of the conservatives, said Mississippi’s limit of 15 weeks was not a “dramatic departure” from viability, and gave women enough time to make the choice to end their pregnancies.
    The court’s liberals said the only thing that has changed since it found a fundamental right to abortion in 1973’s Roe decision — and later affirmed in 1992’s Planned Parenthood v. Casey — was the arrival of new justices.

“Will this institution survive the stench this creates in the public perception, that the Constitution and its reading are just political acts?” asked Justice Sonia Sotomayor. “If people believe this is all politics, how will we survive? How will this court survive?”

In other news:

BREAKING: Stacey Abrams is running for Georgia governor in 2022
    Stacey Abrams launched a campaign for Georgia governor on Wednesday with a pledge to fight for economic equality and expand healthcare access, setting up a potential rematch against Republican Gov. Brian Kemp in one of the nation’s most competitive political battlegrounds.
    The Democrat announced her campaign with a video that highlighted her work in the state since her narrow 2018 defeat to Kemp, along with a message that “opportunity and success in Georgia shouldn’t be determined by your ZIP code, background or access to power.”
    Her decision, long expected by local Democrats, clears the way for what could be a titanic showdown between two longtime political rivals. That is, if Kemp survives a fight for the GOP nomination first.
    Last edited by kidfresh512; 12-01-2021 at 01:42 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

California right? That is what I heard.
    Same here. The person in question had been in Nigeria but was vaccinated, so the symptoms were minor from a report I heard.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

If they decide not to vote for Biden because of what a random person on a comic book message board thinks then they were not devoted to vote for him any way. if they are looking for an excuse like you say then if it is not people talking about concerns they have which is legit and allowed then they will use gas prices or inflation or a number of other things. Dont put it on us when some one who doesnt want to vote for him at the end of the day does not.

Maybe most of the blame should go to places like CNN, MSNBC, or Fox News who have all talked about this subject many times rather then some people on a comic book board. i am sure more voters care about what they have to say then some of us.

And some of us are not spreading unfounded rumors. We are not saying Biden is crazy or unfit. just that he is not as good a speaker as he once was and that will hurt him.
    Let's get real for a minute...

The assertion that more than, maybe something like a percentage measured in the thousandths, of the folks in question are even aware that the ten or so folks who regularly participate in this thread do so?

(Never mind the "Baked In..." idea that they take any one of us seriously enough that we would be what their vote hinged on...)

It is laughable.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Trump clearly has a mental decline and the GOP seem all willing to throw themselves at his altar again. Before anyone judges Biden they best realize what the alternative is gonna be and his effects now will likely see black market abortions and more dangers with women come to pass if the Supreme Court decision hits. Its gonna get dangerous and be a clear sign ahead this is the effect of voting in a terrible Republican President.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.