Page 304 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 2042542943003013023033043053063073083143544048041304 ... LastLast
Results 4,546 to 4,560 of 75153
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    A lot of people couldn't see Trump winning the first time, but he still did. I won't breathe a sigh of relief until the final results come in after the election.

God, I knew Trump was worse than Nixon after his first year. It's just now that he knows the Republicans in the Senate will let him get away with everything, he'll try literally anything.
    I counted Nixon as worse because of a couple of things. First that the failed break in of the DNC campaign offices. The second one just came to light fairly recently. That Nixon's camp stopped the Paris Peace talks, prolonging the war to help boost Nixon's chance of winning. It's hard to say how many lives were lost because of that one

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Strauss would be highly preferred over the toady that Barr wanted to be the new Acting prosecutor at SDNY... it would have been Craig Carpentino, a guy who worked for Chris Christie during Bridgegate.

Berman is still scheduled to speak in front of Congress on Wednesday. Sure he'll have some dimes to drop.
    I think Carpentino only has experience in corporate law and was never an AG or prosecutor which is the kind of candidate that usually gets this post.

So let's just step back and look at Trump's week...

• The Supreme Court rule against him on LGBTQ workplace rights.
    • SCOTUS also rules against him on DACA, which is his bread and butter, anti-immigrant boilerplate.
    • Twitter starts flagging his posts for being lies.
    • Facebook cancels his ads for having Nazi imagery in them.
    • Trump campaign embarrasses themselves after bad poll after bad poll come out, they threaten legal action, get told to pound sand, commission their own polls at conservative sources... which also show they're losing to Biden badly.
    • Court throws out his lawsuit that attempts to block Bolton's book.
    • Excerpts from Bolton's book show that everyone in the Trump administration thinks he's an idiot, and he ALSO tried soliciting China's help in the 2020 election.
    • Trump's niece reveals a book is on the way
    • Covid-19 cases continue to spread at a shocking rate, people keep dying, and Trump and GOP governors are catching major s*** for making measures to stop the spread political
    • Trump blinks and moves his hate rally from Juneteenth to today.
    • Trump's hate rally had an advance team of campaign staffers inside the venue, and six of them test positive for Covid-19.
    • AG William Barr botches the firing of Berman at SDNY, risks his own impeachment, and that becomes the biggest news story when Trump wanted to rush out to retake the spotlight with the hate rally.

Am I missing anything?
    https://twitter.com/exavierpope/stat...97221354713089

Tulsa police arrested a woman who was peacefully protesting outside Trump's rally.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think Carpentino only has experience in corporate law and was never an AG or prosecutor which is the kind of candidate that usually gets this post.
    So what you are saying is that McConnell would confirm him in a heartbeat.

I counted Nixon as worse because of a couple of things. First that the failed break in of the DNC campaign offices. The second one just came to light fairly recently. That Nixon's camp stopped the Paris Peace talks, prolonging the war to help boost Nixon's chance of winning. It's hard to say how many lives were lost because of that one
    Yeah, it is hard to top that.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    • Barr tries to trick Berman into quitting
    • Berman says no
    • Barr tries to fire Berman
    • Finds out he can't
    • Barr then says that Trump fired him
    • Trump says ' Nope, I have nothing to do with it, talk to Barr.'
    • Berman still has his job
    The last few hours have been an absolute shitshow, and there’s still the Tulsa Petri Dish Rally to provide more madness tonight.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

I whole-heartedly agree that we need to completely overhaul the education system to teach the whole history of the country and world, not just the parts that make white people look good. I admit it's been a few years since I've been in school, but I never learned about things like the Tulsa Race Riots. I didn't even know this happened until I was browsing Wikipedia one day at work. We never learned about Juneteenth. We just glossed over the atrocities committed against the Native Americans. It was never mentioned that Washington had slaves, and I'm sure that the horrors of slavery itself were softened. These things and more need to be taught, but aren't.
    It's also important to remember that it's not just the tragedies that need to be taught but accomplishments and traditions as well. Outside of a few key figures (such MLK, Pocahontas, Harriet Tubman, Santa Ana, etc) we know almost nothing about the cultural history of non-whites in America and even their accomplishments are primarily in relation to their interactions with white Americans rather than personal or cultural.

I couldn't name an Asian-American or Native American writer from those school history books but I could name dozens of white writers, poets, and other artists that I read (Thoreau, Keats, Dickens, London, Bradbury, Franklin, Twain, etc, etc, etc) repeatedly. Neglecting the non-white aspects of American history and culture is in many ways worse than focusing on and/or erasing the tragedies because it primarily allows for non-whites to be viewed as enemies and/or outsiders rather than contributors to making America what it is today.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-20-2020 at 03:35 PM.

Correct.

So what you are saying is that McConnell would confirm him in a heartbeat.
    Also, likely correct...

It's amazing, though, that this is now the second SDNY post fired by the Trump administration. We're talking about Preet Barara being given the axe for investigating Trump, and now Berman.

It's almost as if Trump and his cronies are compulsively criminal, or something.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    It's also important to remember that it's not just the tragedies that need to be taught but accomplishments and traditions as well. Outside of a few key figures (such MLK, Pocahontas, Harriet Tubman, Santa Ana, etc) we know almost nothing about the cultural history of non-whites in America and even their accomplishments are primarily in relation to their interactions with white Americans rather than personal or cultural.

I couldn't name an Asian-American or Native American writer from those school history books but I could name dozens of white writers, poets, and other artists that I read (Thoreau, Keats, Dickens, London, Bradbury, Franklin, Twain, etc, etc, etc) repeatedly. Neglecting the non-white aspects of American history and culture is in many ways worse than focusing on and/or erasing the tragedies because it primarily allows for non-whites to be viewed as enemies and/or outsiders rather than contributors to making America what it is today.
    Well that is sad to hear, not very balanced or empirical, I would assume that American high school books would be like Canadian high school books and give a holistic (not selective) account of history.

Ultimate Member

It's almost as if Trump and his cronies are compulsively criminal, or something.
    So long as they are enabled by other Republicans they feel absolutely no need to stop being criminal.

Barr himself has been at this for decades -- Trump is just the latest (sloppy) Republican to need a fixer.

They do it because they can get away with it which is why I say the only solution is to start holding them accountable for their crimes.

Same as the police.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-20-2020 at 03:46 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    Well that is sad to hear, not very balanced or empirical, I would assume that American high school books would be like Canadian high school books and give a holistic (not selective) account of history.
    Oh please, it only took me like two seconds to find this:

Your country's history is every bit as ugly and tragic as ours, and the same is basically true in every white settler colony.

Well...

Looks like they scrapped the "Pre-Game" address to the overflow crowd because there is no overflow crowd.

The inside of the arena where Trump is holding his rally. It's not even half full.

Is Trump 'The Rally is half full' or 'The Rally is half empty' kind of guy?

BREAKING via @CNN: Trump cancels his planned address to the "overflow crowd" because nearly no one showed up.
    Twitter Link
    Last edited by Tami; 06-20-2020 at 03:52 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Oh please, it only took me like two seconds to find this:

Your country's history is every bit as ugly and tragic as ours, and the same is basically true in every white settler colony.
    Do you have a copyright date on that book, looks pretty old to me.

Correct.

Also, likely correct...

It's amazing, though, that this is now the second SDNY post fired by the Trump administration. We're talking about Preet Barara being given the axe for investigating Trump, and now Berman.

The galling thing is this is all out in the open, along with the firing of the inspector generals. We are so far from normal that it is frightening to see our government subjected to the rule of a raggedy alliance of racists, Neo-Nazis and other scum. It's very telling that we don't see more leaving the GOP like George Will, Joe Scarborough, etc. What few voices of dissent there are is very muted.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post

The inside of the arena where Trump is holding his rally. It's not even half full.

Is Trump 'The Rally is half full' or 'The Rally is half empty' kind of guy?

Twitter Link
    I guess there aren't as many stupid Trump followers as I thought. I guess they read that release It wouldn't surprise me if Trump rage Tweets up a storm later on.