Federal judge tosses most claims against Trump, Barr and U.S. officials in clearing of Lafayette Square

A U.S. judge on Monday dismissed most claims filed by the American Civil Liberties Union of D.C., Black Lives Matter and others in lawsuits that accused the Trump administration of authorizing an unprovoked attack on demonstrators in Lafayette Square last year.

The plaintiffs asserted the government used unnecessary force to enable a photo op of President Donald Trump holding a Bible outside of the historical St. John’s Church. But U.S. District Judge Dabney L. Friedrich of Washington called allegations that federal officials conspired to make way for the photo too speculative.

The judge’s decision came in a 51-page opinion after the Justice Department requested she toss four overlapping lawsuits naming dozens of federal individual and agency defendants, as well as D.C. and Arlington police, in the June 2020 incident.
    Friedrich also ruled that federal defendants such as then-Attorney General William P. Barr and then-acting Park Police chief Gregory T. Monahan are immune from civil suits and could not be sued for damages, and that Black Lives Matter as a group could not show it was directly injured by actions against individual demonstrators.

The judge did allow litigation to go forward challenging federal restrictions on protests and other First Amendment activity at Lafayette Square across from the White House, and against local D.C. and Arlington County police agencies that supported the operation.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Appeals court blocks federal judge’s ruling to overturn California’s assault weapons ban

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit has blocked a federal judge’s ruling overturning California’s longtime ban on assault weapons, in which he likened an AR-15 to a Swiss army knife.

A three-judge panel in a one-page order on Monday issued a stay of the June 4 order from U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez of the Southern District of California, in which the judge ruled that sections of the state ban in place since 1989 regarding military-style rifles are unconstitutional.

Senior Circuit Court Judge Barry G. Silverman, Circuit Judge Jacqueline H. Nguyen and Circuit Judge Ryan D. Nelson wrote that the stay will remain in place pending the outcome of another case challenging the ban.

“The stay shall remain in effect until further order of this court,” the panel wrote.

The 9th Circuit panel said parties will file a status update within 14 days of a decision in the other case, Rupp v. Bonta.

Which still means nothing, because Judge Friedrich was appointed by Donald Trump in 2017. Stolen judiciary still defending the corrupt fascist.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    He's the Brooklyn borough president and frontrunner for mayor of New York City.
    Maybe this year. Already have a couple folks to get around to, but he's still a likely candidate. It seems like I have one corrupt New York Democrat every other year to talk about.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Astonishing Member

Supreme Court battle could wreak havoc with Biden's 2020 agenda
    I really hope Breyer himself is thinking hard on retirement. I mean at 82 come on dude. They take these lifetime appointments too far. I don't think Democrats should openly campaign or anything but he really needs to be looking out for the country here and calculating. This could be another Ginsberg type moment. She was amazing and did so much fore freedoms in America. But, there was the case for her age during Obama's term.

As far as worrying about GOP "reprisals" screw them. They need to just ram whoever they want through not cater to GOP at ALL. Its still a majority conservative court you dont have to give the GOP any moderates etc dont court any of their votes. If Dems lose control at midterms Bidens entire agenda and any SC picks are gone. They will hold up any nominations period.
    Last edited by kidfresh512; 06-22-2021 at 08:56 AM.

Astonishing Member
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Maybe this year. Already have a couple folks to get around to, but he's still a likely candidate. It seems like I have one corrupt New York Democrat every other year to talk about.
    The Democratic Party controls four out of five of the boroughs in New York City. That leads to two things. 1. Democrats who would be moderate Republicans almost anywhere else, and 2. Democrats who have so much power that they fall to the temptation to abuse that power. I'm not saying that makes it right. I'm just explaining how it happens.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    How dare they mock Glorious Dear Leader?!?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Seriously? Lord have mercy, just when you thought you've heard it all when it comes to the madness of the Trump White House, lunacy like THIS pops up!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Supreme Court battle could wreak havoc with Biden's 2020 agenda
    I really hope Breyer himself is thinking hard on retirement. I mean at 82 come on dude. They take these lifetime appointments too far.
    I wonder if it's a case of the Conservative SCOTUS or messengers and so on dropping hints to Breyer and others that the SCOTUS won't abuse their conservative supermajority as long as he carries out his lifetime appointment?

If that's the case you could have a situation where Breyer is led to believe that if he retires and allows Biden to replace him with someone younger, the Conservative SCOTUS will see that as a signal and cue to make bolder and more intransigent rulings like say actually rule against Obamacare or take on Roe V. Wade and so on.

That's about the only motivation or reason I can see for Breyer in good faith continuing to stay on as judge.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I wonder if it's a case of the Conservative SCOTUS or messengers and so on dropping hints to Breyer and others that the SCOTUS won't abuse their conservative supermajority as long as he carries out his lifetime appointment?

If that's the case you could have a situation where Breyer is led to believe that if he retires and allows Biden to replace him with someone younger, the Conservative SCOTUS will see that as a signal and cue to make bolder and more intransigent rulings like say actually rule against Obamacare or take on Roe V. Wade and so on.

That's about the only motivation or reason I can see for Breyer in good faith continuing to stay on as judge.
    Thats like the whole thing with believing the GOP will act in good faith anyway. Look at Ginsberg's reported last wish that trump didn't make her replacement . They know how politics works at their age and experience. If you want your replacement to be someone with a similar philosophy and understanding of the law then you better retire when the opportunity is there for that to happen.

He can be talking to Biden right now with a list of candidates he is impressed with as his successor. Legacy is something that I bet they think about.

I think the manipulation game is very real. Like with Manchin and Sinema I am sure they are being winded and dined by the GOP and threatened or told they are superstars for helping the GOP out. But, the net result is the people get fucked. The GOP will not use the same rules once they get power back

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Thats like the whole thing with believing the GOP will act in good faith anyway.
    The Supreme Court GOP isn't quite the same as the Congress GOP and the White House GOP, they are long-term ideologues dedicated to preserving oligarchy whereas senators and reps, and Presidents are more beholden to topical sentiments. None of this is to say that SCOTUS GOP are secretly institutionalists or benign, they aren't. But the fact is that it's in the interest of Conservative SCOTUS to preserve the Supreme Court in its current form, to stave off laws that would introduce term limits, or alternatively pack the courts.

If the SCOTUS acts overly partisan, they could create another Dred Scott moment, a decision so profoundly and fundamentally evil that it radicalized the racist, sexist Northern USA of the 1850s and moved the Overton Window for ending slavery and directly contributed to the rise of the (original non-evil) Republican party. So instead Conservative SCOTUS prefer "death of a thousand cuts", and hobble and reverse progress carefully. So to do that, occasionally they will make token non-partisan non-evil rulings.

Given that reality, someone like Breyer might be convinced (or exhausted or fatigued) into thinking maybe it's better not to rock the boat.

Look at Ginsberg's reported last wish that trump didn't make her replacement .
    There's an Italian expression that goes "one day you'll sell your watch, another your chain, and then soon you won't even have eyes to cry with." That's how I feel about RBG and her last wishes. She didn't step down when the Dems had the Senate and the WH and then gambled that a HRC Presidency with a GOP Senate (which is how it looked in 2016) would allow her time to retire, and then she had to bank that she would live until Biden makes it to the WH. It was a gamble she played with American lives and American laws, and now there's not much to speak of RBG's last wishes anymore.

In either case, Ginsberg's situation is different from Breyer. Ginsberg stepping down before January 2015 when McConnell took the Sen. Maj. would have maintained the existing status-quo...with Breyer the fact is that if Biden replaces him, you'd still have a 6-3 GOP court.

I agree he should step down but at the same time I am trying to see it from his perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The Supreme Court GOP isn't quite the same as the Congress GOP and the White House GOP, they are long-term ideologues dedicated to preserving oligarchy whereas senators and reps, and Presidents are more beholden to topical sentiments. None of this is to say that SCOTUS GOP are secretly institutionalists or benign, they aren't. But the fact is that it's in the interest of Conservative SCOTUS to preserve the Supreme Court in its current form, to stave off laws that would introduce term limits, or alternatively pack the courts.

If the SCOTUS acts overly partisan, they could create another Dred Scott moment, a decision so profoundly and fundamentally evil that it radicalized the racist, sexist Northern USA of the 1850s and moved the Overton Window for ending slavery and directly contributed to the rise of the (original non-evil) Republican party. So instead Conservative SCOTUS prefer "death of a thousand cuts", and hobble and reverse progress carefully. So to do that, occasionally they will make token non-partisan non-evil rulings.

Given that reality, someone like Breyer might be convinced (or exhausted or fatigued) into thinking maybe it's better not to rock the boat.

There's an Italian expression that goes "one day you'll sell your watch, another your chain, and then soon you won't even have eyes to cry with." That's how I feel about RBG and her last wishes. She didn't step down when the Dems had the Senate and the WH and then gambled that a HRC Presidency with a GOP Senate (which is how it looked in 2016) would allow her time to retire, and then she had to bank that she would live until Biden makes it to the WH. It was a gamble she played with American lives and American laws, and now there's not much to speak of RBG's last wishes anymore.

In either case, Ginsberg's situation is different from Breyer. Ginsberg stepping down before January 2015 when McConnell took the Sen. Maj. would have maintained the existing status-quo...with Breyer the fact is that if Biden replaces him, you'd still have a 6-3 GOP court.

I agree he should step down but at the same time I am trying to see it from his perspective.
    The thing is, there is no assurance that Biden will have a second term, that the Dems will retain control over the Senate, or that even if Biden doesn't 't have a second term that another Dem would follow him to the WH.

Beyer may last 3 or 4 years, but after that who knows? If he retires now, Biden can replace him with someone young enough to last a long time.

I do think that Supreme Court Justices should have a mandatory retirement age, though I'm okay with it being as late as 82.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    The thing is, there is no assurance that Biden will have a second term, that the Dems will retain control over the Senate, or that even if Biden doesn't 't have a second term that another Dem would follow him to the WH.

Beyer may last 3 or 4 years, but after that who knows? If he retires now, Biden can replace him with someone young enough to last a long time.

I do think that Supreme Court Justices should have a mandatory retirement age, though I'm okay with it being as late as 82.
    Kinda feels like a lot of folks need to internalize that the court is functionally an equal branch whose members can tell everyone else to go kick rocks if they intend on putting their own egos in front of "Long Game..." strategy.

Republicans could have had a version of this same conversation about Thomas when Trump took office in the aftermath of Scalia passing.

If he told them, "Yeah, Ain't Gonna Happen..."?

What alternative would they have?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post

Thats my big thing. The reality is its highly likely Dems could lose the Senate. So if you are dealing with reality he seriously should be looking at the exit in the next few months. And Dems just get in their prime target dont even pretend to care about any GOP votes