Page 349 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 2492993393453463473483493503513523533593994498491349 ... LastLast
Results 5,221 to 5,235 of 75153

Leaders want John Wayne name, statue gone from Orange County airport

I rolled my eyes at this, but then I read what The Duke said and holy ****.......

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post

I rolled my eyes at this, but then I read what The Duke said and holy ****.......
    Oh yeah. They even reprinted the article in 1979 after his death. Even by the standards of the 1970s, it was unbelievably racist and ignorant. Contrast it with something the comedian Jack Benny said, probably in the late 40s or early 50s.

"At Abadan I had an unsettling run-in with racial prejudice. I had gone into a canteen to get a sandwich and a ginger ale. There was no air-conditioning in the place. A ceiling fan was lethargically stirring up the hot air. I got my food and sat down. A sergeant sat down beside me and said, 'Hi, Mistuh Benny. Ah'm comin' to see your show t'night. You all got Rochester with you?'
    'No,'I said.
    'Well, I sho am disappointed. You cain't have much of a show without Rochester. He's just about the funniest damn coon in the world.'
    I didn't think it was my place to get into a discussion with him about his racist language, so I merely said, 'Well, I hope we'llput on a nice show even without Rochester.' I was there to bring our men a little time out for laughter--they sure needed any relief.
    But this fool wasn't satisfied. 'Seems to me, Mistuh Benny, without Rochester, you ain't got no show.'
    'You really love Rochester, don't you?' I said.
    'Love him? Why, sir, ah tell you ah'd walk ten miles to see that Rochester.'
    'You love him so much, huh? Well, let me ask you something. Would you walk into this canteen and sit down with him at the same table?'
    His expression got nasty. 'Well, sir, ah come from a part of the country where we don't sit down with nigras.'
    'I thought so, young man, and that's why I didn't bring Rochester on this trip. I didn't want him to be embarrassed and humiliated by ignorant folks like you. You say you love Rochester. You'll walk ten miles to see him perform. But you won't sit down at the same table and drink a coke with him. You make me sick.'
    I walked out of the canteen.

Definitely, Wayne's attitudes were indeed "Holy Sh*t" even 50 years ago.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member

Wayne was also very patriotic but it feels like the folks that are uber patriotic are also racists.

John Wayne is a draft dodger whose real name is Marion Morrison. His whole schtick is complete bullshit.

A new development in the story about the Trump administration knowing about Russians paying bounties to the Taliban to kill U.S. and EU troops...

This wasn't just briefed to Trump in March. They've known it was happening for a year. Trump was briefed about it in 2019.

AP News and New York Times just dropped that story about a half hour ago.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Oh yeah. They even reprinted the article in 1979 after his death. Even by the standards of the 1970s, it was unbelievably racist and ignorant. Contrast it with something the comedian Jack Benny said, probably in the late 40s or early 50s.

"At Abadan I had an unsettling run-in with racial prejudice. I had gone into a canteen to get a sandwich and a ginger ale. There was no air-conditioning in the place. A ceiling fan was lethargically stirring up the hot air. I got my food and sat down. A sergeant sat down beside me and said, 'Hi, Mistuh Benny. Ah'm comin' to see your show t'night. You all got Rochester with you?'
    'No,'I said.
    'Well, I sho am disappointed. You cain't have much of a show without Rochester. He's just about the funniest damn coon in the world.'
    I didn't think it was my place to get into a discussion with him about his racist language, so I merely said, 'Well, I hope we'llput on a nice show even without Rochester.' I was there to bring our men a little time out for laughter--they sure needed any relief.
    But this fool wasn't satisfied. 'Seems to me, Mistuh Benny, without Rochester, you ain't got no show.'
    'You love him so much, huh? Well, let me ask you something. Would you walk into this canteen and sit down with him at the same table?'
    His expression got nasty. 'Well, sir, ah come from a part of the country where we don't sit down with nigras.'
    'I thought so, young man, and that's why I didn't bring Rochester on this trip. I didn't want him to be embarrassed and humiliated by ignorant folks like you. You say you love Rochester. You'll walk ten miles to see him perform. But you won't sit down at the same table and drink a coke with him. You make me sick.'

Much respect for Jack Benny.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    A new development in the story about the Trump administration knowing about Russians paying bounties to the Taliban to kill U.S. and EU troops...

This wasn't just briefed to Trump in March. They've known it was happening for a year. Trump was briefed about it in 2019.

AP News and New York Times just dropped that story about a half hour ago.
    Wow. And in the meantime Trump was demanding that Russia be apart of the G7 summit. Another day, another treasonous act. But of course half the country won’t believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    Stefan Molyneux is a creepy dude, like a weird occult leader. While not a self professed white supremacist/nationalist like David Duke and Richard Spencer, he definitely believes that racial and gender IQ discrepancies are primarily genetic (a completely unscientific viewpoint to take based on the evidence) and he has a strange misogamist bent towards women, and seems to view feminism as leading to western civilizations decline.

Definitely don't want impressionable teenagers tuning into him when the parents are at work.
    To be fair, I don't think he is an occult leader. I mean it is easy to confuse him with Satan, but I think he is more of a cult leader.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post

'No,'I said.

Yeah, it’s not something that’s just coming up . It caused a bit of a stir years back when people were discussing his legacy. Even other actors at the time disagreed with John Wayne.

He was fiercely against the civil rights movement because he believed black people were inferior.

As Robotman pointed out, the guy was full of ****. But then again, the US has a history of honoring those that were full of dudu and re-writing history to favor them.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by maninthemacintosh1606 View Post
    To be fair, I don't think he is an occult leader. I mean it is easy to confuse him with Satan, but I think he is more of a cult leader.
    Fair enough, but I still think he’s a super creepy dude.

If it’s the state of California, the statue will be gone if it’s not on federal land. The generation that really cared about him have pretty much died off.

What he said was well...very racist, particularly by today’s standards, but this statue thing is starting to remind me a little too much like the religious right of the 80’s & 90’s who sat around listening to immoral lyrics in order to ban records. When I was young the left fought against the censorship of punk and rap music, now it seems like the left is combing through a person’s history looking for a sign of racism to ban their material and claim moral virtue, in short the equivalent of the religious right.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    In a thread where "Capitalism" versus "Communism" has been a thing, it's absolutely worth noting that the thing that quite a few folks are saying took far too long took that long because capitalism was working exactly as it was intended to.
    Yes capitalism is working as it was intended to in that fringe players on the far right are getting dumped from social media platforms because it threatens to hurt big business’s bottom line.

As Stefan Molyneux points out in his twitter account, white children are now a minority in North America, which simply means non whites have a growing amount of purchasing power, and they’re not going to support or invest in a media platform that has people promoting white supremacy/nationalism, and xenophobia. They’ve got purchasing power, so David Duke, Richard Spencer and Stefan Molyneux can go join Alex Jones on the fringes of the internet where they belong.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    John Wayne is a draft dodger whose real name is Marion Morrison. His whole schtick is complete bullshit.
    Certainly a very unpleasant character...I think he took the “wrong side” (well the side I oppose..) on practically every political issue. He supported the McCarthy witch hunt, for example.

But he did lead in some great films.

My Mom loved John Wayne's movies, said that he reminded her of her father. However, she never agreed with his politics so I'm not sure how she feels about this issue. I'll have to ask her the next time I speak with her.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Namor (or Aquaman if you’re a DC fan) wouldn’t like that.
    I liked how Aquaman was a mixed-race immigrant to Atlantis who still won their hearts and eventually their throne for trying hard enough after their attempts to keep him away or enslaved with all kinds of WALL! stuff only resulted in a lot of WALL! things being exploded in action scenes as an afterthought. This in one of the most popular blockbusters currently.

WALL! will probably remain my most reliable GOP lie reminder forever, since it's forever tied to Trump's initial campaign lie and GOP supporters's simpleton readiness to ignore bigger forces at play like COVID-19 and global warming that can't stopped by racism, as long as they get just one more fix.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Certainly a very unpleasant character...I think he took the “wrong side” (well the side I oppose..) on practically every political issue. He supported the McCarthy witch hunt, for example.

But he did lead in some great films.
    Will Clint Eastwood be next, he's his generation's John Wayne. Does he have any statues?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Will Clint Eastwood be next, he's his generation's John Wayne. Does he have any statues?
    Doubt it.

He's not associated with (White) America's self image the way John Wayne was. Yeah, he made Westerns but
    the Spaghetti Westerns were deconstructing the classic Westerns and his characters in them were never any better than anti heroes.

And he wouldn't have had the War movie sideline as an option during a deeply unpopular Vietnam war either.

America's relationship with the movies during WW2 made Wayne what he was. Its kinda unique to the era.

Eastwood's problematic in a completely different way.