Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    We'll agree to disagree because this is a sensitive topic (my family is from Ponce). After the pro-independence movement in the early 1900's, the US gave Puerto Ricans "citizenship" to quell the uprisings but it was granted by Congress and not the Constitution so we were not allowed to vote and didn't have the same protections as American citizens. Many strongly believe citizenship wasn't truly granted until the commonwealth was established, when we could vote and were granted equal rights. Until then the US government could veto any law enacted on the island as they wished, and non-white Puerto Ricans were mostly restricted from moving to the mainland. To this day there is great debate on whether Puerto Ricans should push for statehood, enhanced commonwealth status, or independence.

In any case, the calls for the boycott were wrong and won't be soon forgotten.
    I’d hope that Puerto Ricans also remember the absolute ****-show of an emergency response the Trump administration launched following hurricane Maria, including the personal attacks he launched against its people and politicians. In fact, new evidence came to light last year that his administration withheld almost $20 Billion in aide allocated for them. I’m on my phone so I won’t even try to link to it, but any of you can look it up.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Every time I think there is nothing that the world agrees on now that Betty White is dead, we can all agree that Bill Maher is a worthless turd.
    But we don't. I and a few others on these boards find Bill Maher funny and occasionally insightful. He's also often a horse's ass, but that shouldn't mean we can't enjoy his comedy.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    But we don't. I and a few others on these boards find Bill Maher funny and occasionally insightful. He's also often a horse's ass, but that shouldn't mean we can't enjoy his comedy.
    His comedy is entertaining but I cant take him seriously on politics. I love that he is a "Let me live how I want how dare you come at me for my thoughts and beliefs" guy. But the second some one says they believe in god or are religious man does that believe what you want thought go out the window at least as far as letting the other person believe what they want. he turns into the :God is not real you are an idiot how can you buy into the big God Lie." and is all and all just a complete ass about it.

Im not religious at all and it bugs the crap out of me. Who cares if a person wants to believe in God? Let them believe how they want. it would be different if he did this on the people who rammed God down other throats but he is like this with anyone. What was it he said years ago when he had his tv show on ABC? CBS? I cant remember what network. but he said along the lines of "The second a person says they believe in God I know they are utter fools and I can discount everything else they have to say."
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I’d hope that Puerto Ricans also remember the absolute ****-show of an emergency response the Trump administration launched following hurricane Maria, including the personal attacks he launched against its people and politicians. In fact, new evidence came to light last year that his administration withheld almost $20 Billion in aide allocated for them. I’m on my phone so I won’t even try to link to it, but any of you can look it up.
    Yeah that whole ordeal was a complete mess and is still being investigated.
    A bunch of local officials were fired when residents discovered a warehouse loaded with emergency supplies that never made it to the people.

Puerto Rico residents outraged after discovering warehouse full of unused aid from Hurricane Maria
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/...d-aid-n1118501

The governor said she had ordered an investigation after learning the emergency supplies had been piled in the warehouse since Hurricane Maria battered Puerto Rico in September 2017.

Vázquez said inaction by the fired official, Carlos Acevedo, was unacceptable.

“There are thousands of people who have made sacrifices to help those in the south, and it is unforgivable that resources were kept in the warehouse,” the governor said.
    From the President on down to local government it was a completely botched s**tshow.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Why are conservatives so bent over the change to the green and brown M&M's??
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Because they have no actual policies other than the 'Culture War'?

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Let's not kink-shame Tucker Carlson.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Lawmakers lobby Biden administration to cut tariffs on China
    https://highlandcountypress.com/Cont...ina/2/20/75417

More than 130 members of the U.S. House of Representatives, led by Reps. Ron Kind (D-Wisc.), Darin LaHood (R-Ill.), Suzan DelBene (D-Wash.) and Jackie Walorski (R-Ind.), have signed a bipartisan letter to United States Trade Representative Katherine Tai expressing their strong support for "establishing a comprehensive and fair exclusion process that would allow U.S. producers, manufacturers, and importers to request relief from Section 301 tariffs on imports from China."

According to Rep. Kind's House website, "At a time when many industries across our nation are coping with COVID-19 related challenges and struggling to adjust their supply chains while remaining competitive, expanding the exclusion process would help provide critical support to American workers, businesses, and our economic recovery. The lawmakers also emphasized the importance of holding China accountable for commitments it has made to the United States and for its state-centered and non-market trade policies.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

Past several posts are a reminder of what a crappy president trump was. I hope Americans remember that in 2024.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    past several posts are a reminder of what a crappy president trump was. I hope americans remember that in 2024.
    worst president ever!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    worst president ever!
    I know its not a joking matter but I heard this statement in the voice of Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I know its not a joking matter but I heard this statement in the voice of Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons!
    As it was meant to be.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Past several posts are a reminder of what a crappy president trump was. I hope Americans remember that in 2024.
    He really just ran the office into the ground. Then he shat on it and set it on fire.
    #Jan6NeverForget

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Which is something that no one is doing.

Meanwhile?

This is still a party that can undermine itself, and alienate the base just fine all one it's own.

Since Manchin was still a Dem as of this post, the woman in question undermining the party is something that would have happened anyway.
    It would’ve only happened given the opportunity provided by the allowance of dark money and corporate financing of elections.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Let's not kink-shame Tucker Carlson.
    It's not just him, though its clearly where the talking point is coming from, I've seen it everywhere...and its disturbing.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!