Great job to Kevein M on becoming the weakest most powerless Speaker in the history of the House!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Is anyone surprised that his first promise is for investigations into President Biden rather than some announcement for and agenda that would actually help the American people?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Is anyone surprised that his first promise is for investigations into President Biden rather than some announcement for and agenda that would actually help the American people?
    Well, he’s gotta keep his party’s lunatic fringe fat, dumb and happy, or they’ll turn on him in a heartbeat. Hell, they’re probably going to do that anyway, but, I’m guessing he already knows that.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Imagine getting into office and deciding to do absolute horse sh-t. No one is shocked these morons will not do ANY job at all.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Biden literally told McCarthy and his ilk this in a response. Essentially its .....GROW THE F-CK up and get to work.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...-of-the-house/

Jill and I congratulate Kevin McCarthy on his election as Speaker of the House.

The American people expect their leaders to govern in a way that puts their needs above all else, and that is what we need to do now.

As I said after the midterms, I am prepared to work with Republicans when I can and voters made clear that they expect Republicans to be prepared to work with me as well. Now that the leadership of the House of Representatives has been decided it is time for that process to begin.

Today we learned that my plan to build an economy that works from the bottom up and the middle out has achieved the lowest unemployment rate in 50 years. And that we made 2021 and 2022 the best years for job growth on record.

It’s imperative that we continue that economic progress, not set it back. It is imperative that we protect Social Security and Medicare, not slash them. It is imperative that we defend our national security, not defund it. These are some of the choices before us.

As the last two years show, we can do profound things for the country when we do them together.

For example, this week I travelled to Kentucky to highlight the growing benefits that the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law is bringing to communities all over the country.

This is a time to govern responsibly and to ensure that we’re putting the interests of American families first.

Joe Biden the adult in the room with the children.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

The only reasons why having the Republicans control the house over the next two years isn't a cause for a massive freak-out, is because the Dems still control the Senate and the Executive Branch, because the margin of control is so narrow, and because the Dems in the House will stay focused, doing their level best to reign in the Republicans whenever possible.

It's gonna be a bumpy ride, but here is to the next election cycle for the House returning control back to the Democrats.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

What happened? After the 14th failed attempt I thought it was going to go nowhere. Did that one guy scare Gaetz enough into behaving?

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    What happened? After the 14th failed attempt I thought it was going to go nowhere. Did that one guy scare Gaetz enough into behaving?
    No I joked that Rogers scared Gaetz but the real truth was McCarthy promised him a spot on a committee and Rogers wasn't happy as we saw. Its the 15th vote that finally got McCarthy his resume role.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    That is why Mike Rogers, who was previously promised the post, wanted to murder Gaetz on the spot and had to be restrained.
    Camera Guy had one job

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    No I joked that Rogers scared Gaetz but the real truth was McCarthy promised him a spot on a committee and Rogers wasn't happy as we saw. Its the 15th vote that finally got McCarthy his resume role.
    That is so pathetic. You get powers by being a total brat. If I was one of those other republicans I would have voted no. I wouldn't feel right with that.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    The only reasons why having the Republicans control the house over the next two years isn't a cause for a massive freak-out, is because the Dems still control the Senate and the Executive Branch, because the margin of control is so narrow, and because the Dems in the House will stay focused, doing their level best to reign in the Republicans whenever possible.

It's gonna be a bumpy ride, but here is to the next election cycle for the House returning control back to the Democrats.
    Yeah, though it may be possible the Republicans will trip each other up so much, the Democrats end up not having anything to rein in. The main problem is that we'll probably be running into a major downturn with a government that is basically too dysfunctional to cope. So, the conservatives will get to show everyone exactly how beneficial it is to run a nation without government interference, though I suspect the outcomes will not meet the expectations.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Does calling it “collateral damage” alter the reality?? Does it alter the fact that thousands of civilians will die because Russians have deliberately targeted Ukraines infrastructure?
    It alters the narrative going "Russia is targeting civilians".

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    1) That was mocking, unless you're a sociopath and 2) Blowing up hospitals and power stations isn't collaterial damage when you're targeting them, comrade.
    I was never tested, but it is my understanding that sociopaths lack empathy, so pretty sure that's not at play here. Other than taking cheap shots, any reasoning you can share on why it's mocking, assuming you've actually read the involved posts? And what definition of "collaterial damage" are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    I'm sure that pro-russian trolls will appreciate that first round of russian prisoners received pardons for crimes they commited in russia by commiting crimes in Ukraine.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...08fc0016452ab4
    I appreciate that contracts must be honored, did Zelensky kept his promises to his "dirty dozen"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I said I wasn't referring to mainstream media sources.

There are plenty of alternatives to the mainstream media (broadcast news, CNN, NPR, PBS, major newspapers, Time magazine, etc.)

There's various strands of conservative media, some ideologically skeptical sources (Joe Rogan, Bari Weiss, etc) and various strands of left-wing media, to say nothing of international press.

Who is someone that you trust to be acting in good faith who can report that the Ukrainian military is as careless about civilian casualties as the Russian military and that Ukraine started the war? If this is something that you expect others to be familiar with, you should be able to provide it.
    I don't know if it'll meet your criteria, but you can start with the reporting of someone who's been there since the beginning: Patric Lancaster.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Taking the Wiki piece as “gospel” suggests that the Russians actually went some way to increase tensions in the Donbas area as a pretext to invade it, and snatch another chunk of Russian territory.

In any event, trouble within another sovereign state is not a legitimate reason to mount an invasion…things like pushing for UN peace initiatives would have been more acceptable

Realistically I think the Russians calculated that Ukrainian/ Western democracies would have reacted completely different…that surrender of the territory would quickly follow after Russia’s display of force…effectively that events would pan out the same way the 2014 Crimea action did.

As it’s turned out the war (are even the Russians still thinking of it as a “special operation”??) has turned out to be a disaster for Russia itself as well as a humane disaster. (The action has turned intro a recruiting sergeant for NATO, thousands of Russians dead, billions of pounds wasted, hundreds of thousands of young men trying to leave the country, sanctions imposed, etc.)
    Russians had no more interest in incorporating the Donbas than the people there had of becoming part of Russia, but it played out that way.

Or enforcing the Minsk Agreements? Was that acceptable? Was it feasible considering every signature but Putin's has turned out to be part of a ploy?

They were aiming for something like a scaled up Georgia, but negotiations in Turkey were stopped cold. Who did that?

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post

The main cause for concern is there are many of the Republican Caucus who want to vote no on the debt ceiling and shut down the Government, their main hostage in this is cutting Social Security and Medicare. A government shutdown could damage the economy and damage the country. McCarthy might have given that away as he made all the concessions to the fascist fringe of his Party.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by nose norton View Post
    It alters the narrative going "Russia is targeting civilians".

I was never tested, but it is my understanding that sociopaths lack empathy, so pretty sure that's not at play here. Other than taking cheap shots, any reasoning you can share on why it's mocking, assuming you've actually read the involved posts? And what definition of "collaterial damage" are you using?

I appreciate that contracts must be honored, did Zelensky kept his promises to his "dirty dozen"?

I don't know if it'll meet your criteria, but you can start with the reporting of someone who's been there since the beginning: Patric Lancaster.

Russians had no more interest in incorporating the Donbas than the people there had of becoming part of Russia, but it played out that way.

Or enforcing the Minsk Agreements? Was that acceptable? Was it feasible considering every signature but Putin's has turned out to be part of a ploy?

They were aiming for something like a scaled up Georgia, but negotiations in Turkey were stopped cold. Who did that?
    Can you tell me about why you would recommend Patrick Lancaster as someone you trust?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The main cause for concern is there are many of the Republican Caucus who want to vote no on the debt ceiling and shut down the Government, their main hostage in this is cutting Social Security and Medicare. A government shutdown could damage the economy and damage the country. McCarthy might have given that away as he made all the concessions to the fascist fringe of his Party.
    Still, if what happened on the floor of the House is any indication, infighting among Republicans might have them spend as much time at each other's throats as it does going after the Government.

We'll see how much damage they can do in two years. We did survive 4 years of a Trump administration.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Astonishing Member

Allegedly, trump personally spoke to some anti-McCarthy republicans to change their minds. I guess he still has some away over the party.