What could possibly prevent someone from publicly identifying as trans or binary? Not like people show disdain and hatred for them.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    What could possibly prevent someone from publicly identifying as trans or binary? Not like people show disdain and hatred for them.
    Yeah, that's anyways been my thought about why being gay wasn't a choice.

I mean, who would choose to be hated about something they could easily change?

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    There is no 'spike'. You can keep repeating it but the 'increase' that does exist is explicable entirely through the cohort effect. Singal is a virulently abusive transphobic concern troll who harassed trans women who criticize him. He is not a good faith broker on the matter of trans children and as noted, WPATH SOC 8 pretty much demolished him, and it is not even all that trans friendly. He will selectively ignore it because that's what he does.

Mets, of course, will unsurprisingly double down on this just like he has the words of other virulent transphobes like Abigail Shrier.

So, no spike, no ROGS, no 'trans trend', the blockers are in fact safe and reversible (no one had any issues with them when the’re used to stop precocious puberty after all) and the list goes on and on about all the things Shrier and now Singal have been wrong about, but none of that is going to matter, and the words of a massive number of people who work directly with transgender individuals and transgender children aren't going to matter either

Attachment 125097
    You keep saying there is no spike. What do you mean by this?

There is significant evidence that more young people are identifying as trans or nonbinary than with older people and in previous generations. They are seeking more medical care. This has been linked a few times.

Do you think the evidence is made up? Would you like more links? Are you defining this in a particular way? Is there some other explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Do you think this is the complete explanation, that roughly 4 percent of the population in older cohorts is trans or nonbinary but closeted (or potentially lost to suicide)?

This is a potential explanation for an increase, but there's still an increase.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 10-02-2022 at 11:30 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Good.

Conservatives want parents to have a say, although this doesn't mean parents should be able to change private school assignments. The parents have the choice of sending their kid to another private school or one of the local public schools.

The school picked a really dumb fight here, but I'm not sure if there's any solution here beyond allowing the private school to torpedo its reputation.

What's your source?

Politifact says that one's bullshit.

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...it-bidens-stu/
    Snopes considers it "unproven" but does point out that Christie quite clearly lied when he claimed the stutter "never came up" in campaign prep, as the Washington Post had previously cited an anonymous source saying that it had been discussed.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    I think that you're absolutely right about DeSantis , he's not going to meet with Biden for sure. He's not going to risk his possible chance in 2024 even though his state got hit with a hurricane. He's the same guy who just a week ago sent about 50 migrants to Martha's Vineyard without telling anyone in advance.
    My bad. Ooops.
    Last edited by CaptainEurope; 10-03-2022 at 12:01 AM.

Well it's taken me some time to catch up on everything after I got power back a few hours ago, and it seems I missed the usual people bringing up anti-trans articles and defenses of anti-trans bigots. IN the mean time there are still many without power, Ukrainians fighting for their freedom, the UK economy imploding thanks to the same old Right politics, and so many other important things to talk about than something that's so hateful yet inconsequential to the people complaining about it.

If you'd like something inconsequential that's not going to lead to pushback due to defending bigotry to talk about you can join me and question why there's such a bread vacuum here in FL after Ian has passed. Unlike TP it's not as hard to manufacture or distribute.

You keep saying there is no spike. What do you mean by this?

There is significant evidence that more young people are identifying as trans or nonbinary than with older people and in previous generations. They are seeking more medical care. This has been linked a few times.

Do you think the evidence is made up? Would you like more links? Are you defining this in a particular way? Is there some other explanation?

Do you think this is the complete explanation, that roughly 4 percent of the population in older cohorts is trans or nonbinary but closeted (or potentially lost to suicide)?

This is a potential explanation for an increase, but there's still an increase.
    It’s incredibly hard to interpret the data I think in a way that any impartial person could be completely confident was correct…it’s such a complex issue. Humans!

Personally I think identifying in a way other than gender/sex of birth seems higher than when I was much younger, but I primarily put that down to my belief society is slightly less hostile now to people doing that.

But what I can’t get my head round why anybody would worry about such an increase even if it’s true.

I don’t see it really as anybodys concern except the person making the decision (and their parents if they are minors)…it doesn’t hurt anybody else, and I really can’t see anyone doing it on a whim. (Yes…know in billions of people there might be a handful of exceptions. So what?)

I have to rub my eyes in disbelief when I see arguments like “It might effect the birth rate”. There’s enough people!
    Last edited by JackDaw; 10-02-2022 at 01:56 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Wrong.
    DeSantis: My name is Reek.
    Biden: Good boy.

Wait a minute, it’s been reported Biden isn’t scheduled to fly into Florida until Wednesday. When was this picture taken?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Fantastic Member

Wrong thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Well it's taken me some time to catch up on everything after I got power back a few hours ago, and it seems I missed the usual people bringing up anti-trans articles and defenses of anti-trans bigots. IN the mean time there are still many without power, Ukrainians fighting for their freedom, the UK economy imploding thanks to the same old Right politics, and so many other important things to talk about than something that's so hateful yet inconsequential to the people complaining about it.

If you'd like something inconsequential that's not going to lead to pushback due to defending bigotry to talk about you can join me and question why there's such a bread vacuum here in FL after Ian has passed. Unlike TP it's not as hard to manufacture or distribute.
    Bread? Is it just bread or how about other staples like milk or eggs? It could be a transportation/shipping problem.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Bread? Is it just bread or how about other staples like milk or eggs? It could be a transportation/shipping problem.
    Well with the power still down in parts of FL and them still clearing trees it could be down to local supplies spoiling in the case of milk which is still rare, but Bread is just . . gone. It's not that hard to make from scratch unlike TP so as this is my first storm since moving here it's mind-boggling. It shouldn't be that hard to get in.

Astonishing Member

my webskills suck
    Last edited by shooshoomanjoe; 10-02-2022 at 03:56 PM.

Well, I am and have been nonbinary for nearly 50 years at this point, but I can't say I was ever counted as nonbinary. It's not like I've ever had the option, really. Since people like myself were largely invisible to the general population as recently as 20, even 10 years ago, I'm not sure when all of us older folks would have been counted.

And not joking in the slightest, this is a very real issue/question in my actual not-online life: To what degree am I required to become a standard-bearer, at this late stage? I mean, I have been misgendered and misunderstood on this into middle age ... on a personal level, is there any point in becoming super loud and vocal about it, now?

In my humble genderqueer opinion, kids today just have the language and the options to actually consider gender beyond what is assigned at birth. I think it's disingenuous to pretend this was always the case. Because, again, even ten years ago the vast majority of people were not having these discussions. (I can again personally testify to that part: I'd found the language to accurately define my identify myself by that point, but it seriously is not as if most people were talking about it at all.)

I'd imagine though that all of this probably just makes me biased, as opposed to particularly informed about the topic, in your opinion? That's a good way to turn even the loudest minority voice into a whisper.

(Edit: If it helps, I have also worked in mental health nearly 15 years, with kids specifically about 5, and just over a year that the majority of those have -- really, just happened to be -- trans/nonbinary kids. Not as if I set out with any particular goal to become any authority on trans kids -- but, I kinda think I am at least a little, anyway? Compared to folks for whom this is all an abstract?)
    Last edited by Adam Allen; 10-02-2022 at 10:05 PM.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Well with the power still down in parts of FL and them still clearing trees it could be down to local supplies spoiling in the case of milk which is still rare, but Bread is just . . gone. It's not that hard to make from scratch unlike TP so as this is my first storm since moving here it's mind-boggling. It shouldn't be that hard to get in.
    It could be the drivers of the bread trucks. I've heard that in some areas, they have a strong union, and if they don't want to drive to areas that they think are still unsafe, they won't go.
    Watching television is not an activity.