Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    The SPD, Greens and FDP have agreed on a coalition treaty, which is kind of blueprint of their plans for Germany for the next 4 years.

I am pleasantly surprised how much in it I like.

Some highlights are:
    • Exploring lowering the federal voting age to 16.
    • Improving access to abortion by eliminating a law banning doctor's offices "advertising" abortion services (i. e. offering any kind of information on it).
    • Many improvements to allowing access to higher education to poorer kids (higher monthly payments, higher income threshold of their parents, smaller percentage of it to be paid back later, more flexibility in changing your majors without losing the benefit).
    • Removal of a law that required trans people to have therapy before seeking gender reassignment surgery and change in legal status.
    • Getting out of coal 8 years earlier than the last government's plan, investing more into rail and less into roads and other climate initiatives.
    I hope Scholz can keep moving Germany forward.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I think the message of these two trials is that the prosecutor/DA for the Rittenhouse trial was simply not as good as the one in the Arbery trial.
    Apart from being different states it seems the distinction remained what is vigilantism and what is self-defense - The GA case had recourse to lawful authority so there was no reason to be out "protecting" the neighborhood, Kenosha was a not under civil authority and protection. There was no reasonable self-defense in GA.

Astonishing Member

Federal judge changes his mind about stepping down, eliminating vacancy for Biden to fill

A federal judge who announced in August that he would step down from active service has informed the White House he changed his mind, eliminating a vacancy on the bench President Biden could fill.

Robert King, 81, who serves with the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond, Va., told Biden he would not be taking senior status after all in a letter obtained by Reuters.

"After careful consideration, I have decided to continue for the foreseeable future in regular active service," King said in the letter.
    81!!! That is just asinine. I don't get this obsession with working until you drop dead.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Are you trying to express a legal thingie?
    They're expressing a mental thingie.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    They're expressing a mental thingie.
    It's a troll thingie.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

While I get that it is how folks feel?

Is any of the "My Take On This..." really thread relevant?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Between the video of the killing, The man on the stand admitting that Arbery never had a gun and did not threaten him, and the most blatant racist remarks from the lawyers that even had people on Fox News going WTF! The jury wasnt taking any time.
    Exactly.

You know it's really bad when even Fox News is disgusted by the defence's conduct.

Seriously, between the "too many black pastors" and "dirty toe nail" comments, the defence pretty much only appealed to racism.

Which on the other hand isn't entirely surprising considering Arbery was basically lynched by 3 racist goons.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post

isnt that how a forum works? have a topic, story, etc.. people give facts on the story and they give their opinion of the facts? Have a back and forth on the topic? It would be pretty boring if that didnt happen. At least that is my take
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

isnt that how a forum works? have a topic, story, etc.. people give facts on the story and they give their opinion of the facts? Have a back and forth on the topic? It would be pretty boring if that didnt happen. At least that is my take
    But that doesn't matter if one person always has all the absolute facts. Then we should all just agree with them and STFU.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    But that doesn't matter if one person always has all the absolute facts. Then we should all just agree with them and STFU.
    Well you got me there. And since it was so well put I have nothing more to say on the matter.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post

I don't see why not. This is a thread on news and politics. So we're giving our opinions on stories that are in the news. Not really that hard to understand.
    Watching television is not an activity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Xheight View Post
    Apart from being different states it seems the distinction remained what is vigilantism and what is self-defense - The GA case had recourse to lawful authority so there was no reason to be out "protecting" the neighborhood, Kenosha was a not under civil authority and protection. There was no reasonable self-defense in GA.
    That's all legalese noise that a capable DA could have contered. Granted the judge in Kenosha was an a--hat whereas the one in GA was fair, but even with all that it wasn't a well prosecuted case.

Well you got me there. And since it was so well put I have nothing more to say on the matter.
    And I didn't even have to write it in really big letters.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Federal judge changes his mind about stepping down, eliminating vacancy for Biden to fill

81!!! That is just asinine. I don't get this obsession with working until you drop dead.
    To some people, they equate retirement to being a shark that stops moving: once they do, they die. To them, they find joy and fulfillment in working, as long as they have their health, both physical and mental, and they enjoy what they do, they see no reason to stop.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    To some people, they equate retirement to being a shark that stops moving: once they do, they die. To them, they find joy and fulfillment in working, as long as they have their health, both physical and mental, and they enjoy what they do, they see no reason to stop.
    RBG showed us how well that worked out. And she didnt even have her health.

And you have 83 year old Stephen Breyer who is not stepping down while The Dems control the next nomination and confirmation so we will go through the RGB thing again in a few years.