Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    All this talk about a potential Civil War has gotten me thinking.

While I pray that it doesn't happen, I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered that we were heading in that direction. But the more I think about it, the more I question just how effective a new Confederacy would be?

In the last civil war, both sides were essentially equal, with the Union maybe being better equipped. But if we have a new civil war- unless there are massive defections from the military, I'd say those fighting to keep the country united would have a serious tactical advantage over a new Confederacy. The Union would have overwhelming air and sea power at its disposal, which could make quick work of the militias that rise up against the government.

Of course, I do realize that overwhelming force doesn't always equal victory- I just have to look at Vietnam or Afghanistan to prove that. But I can't see there being enough people in this country that want to break away that could form that kind of long-term insurgency. And the ones that do want to do that aren't exactly the cream of the crop.

Anyways, that's just my two cents. What do you all think?
    I think that there is a group of Americans who are oligarchs in everything except "Exactly What We Are Calling Them..." which was not in play the last time that folks penning letters to the Penthouse Forum about how likely a civil war is never plug into their decidedly goofy numbers.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 08-05-2022 at 04:05 PM.

A Civil War in America? I dont have much fear of that.

Twitter goes down for 20 Minutes and people freak out. Starbucks has a new coffee drink and it is the top story on the News. Kim K puts out new photos of her and Pete D and its breaks the internet.

To be honest Americans are very comfortable, very soft, and most of us out side a protest are not going to take things to the next level like armed combat vs the government.

As far as The Proud Boys or the Save Merica cammo wearing Ar-15 crowd. The second they are faced with real military power they will fold. And the rest will see these "Highly trained soldiers" Taken out in all of 5 minutes by real military professionals and they will forget all about the glorious revolution. Or if they are feeling sneaky and want to hide in their little bunkers in the woods and a cruise missile takes them out from 500 miles away yea real effective.

So in all honesty a revolution against the government would last as long as the government decides they will put up with that nonsense. or until the government shuts down Instagram and people decide that the punishment is not worth the trouble.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    All this talk about a potential Civil War has gotten me thinking.

While I pray that it doesn't happen, I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered that we were heading in that direction. But the more I think about it, the more I question just how effective a new Confederacy would be?

In the last civil war, both sides were essentially equal, with the Union maybe being better equipped. But if we have a new civil war- unless there are massive defections from the military, I'd say those fighting to keep the country united would have a serious tactical advantage over a new Confederacy. The Union would have overwhelming air and sea power at its disposal, which could make quick work of the militias that rise up against the government.

Of course, I do realize that overwhelming force doesn't always equal victory- I just have to look at Vietnam or Afghanistan to prove that. But I can't see there being enough people in this country that want to break away that could form that kind of long-term insurgency. And the ones that do want to do that aren't exactly the cream of the crop.

Anyways, that's just my two cents. What do you all think?
    We're not likely to see civil war as we had in the 1860s. It would probably be more of an insurgency.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Got an alert that Alex Jones has been ordered to pay $45 million to Sandy Hook parents. To quote Montgomery Burns….EXCELLENT!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I might be wrong, but if there ever was a break, the Blue and Blue Leaning side would far outnumber the Red or Red-leaning side. You really have to be a certain personality to risk giving up everything you have just for illusions, lies, fantasies, and a trip down the rabbit hole. Even among conservatives, at some point, some of them are going to ask is this worth it?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Got an alert that Alex Jones has been ordered to pay $45 million to Sandy Hook parents. To quote Montgomery Burns….EXCELLENT!
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    More of these "entertainers" need to be sued for the lies they tell. I'd like to think eventually the platforms that give them air time would start regulating the content they're putting out.
    I really want to see Hannity or Carlson hauled into court and sued into oblivion.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

I haven't spoken much about Indiana's upcoming abortion limitations because... what is there for me to discuss? The state's going to make it damn near impossible for women to get medical treatment and doctors are going to be forced to play of charades to figure out if what they are doing is going to get them in trouble. Ideally, to help minimize the need for abortions, the state could teach sex ed, but the only type we're allowed is "abstinence-only", and research has shown that does **** all unless you show people what sex is actually about, warts and all, instead of the often-made-up nonsense used in abstinence-only education, which likely will convince more people to go the abstinence route.

Man, there's genuinely a lot of good Hoosiers here. This is a nice state. It's just a crying shame that we routinely have to answer to the loudest idiots and decide that they should have their opinions accepted, and it keeps making us look like the inept backwoods of the Midwest.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Just like 'Fake News', 'CRT' and other words/acronyms/phrases that have been co-opted by the conservatives who criticize them, it expands to encompass more and more things they also hate.
    Meanwhile, the dark side of it is that they purposefully want to have that "boy who cried wolf" scenario so that way when the actual wolves show up (as in, actual pedophiles that are already targeting children, usually protected by Republican lawmakers and conservative influencers, for example), nobody will give a ****.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    More of these "entertainers" need to be sued for the lies they tell. I'd like to think eventually the platforms that give them air time would start regulating the content they're putting out.
    I really want to see Hannity or Carlson hauled into court and sued into oblivion.
    He won't be required to pay any where near that amount.

I'm more interested in the legal jeapordy he could finally bein. Guys like Alex Jones have been immune to consequences for far too long.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

It's not really fascism unless it's from the Fasch region in Austria. Everything else is just sparkling dictatorship.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    It's true that polls said Hillary had it in the bag. I vividly remember a Vox headline of, "The polls are split between Hillary Clinton winning and Hillary Clinton winning in a landslide."
    It's also true that everybody from Putin to James Comey read that and reacted to it, until shortly before the elections, the polls were a lot tighter. People keep forgetting that.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Off topic I have only read a handful of those issues. But it is on my list.
    I remember when they showed the Blob putting on reading glasses, it broke the Internet in half. What there was of the Internet back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

This is category creep. There's plenty on this on the left as well.
    Whether it's the right calling recycling "woke" or the left considering a change of election results "fascism", people in this Ohio diner agree that category creep is very creepy indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    It's not really fascism unless it's from the Fasch region in Austria. Everything else is just sparkling dictatorship.
    Technically you should be thinking of someplace from Italy.
    The word fascism is derived from the Latin fasces, which was (I believe) an ancient Etruscan symbol of power co-opted by the Romans. It's also featured in some early American artwork/seals, as the founding fathers were enamored of the Roman Republic.
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 08-05-2022 at 11:43 PM.
    Dark does not mean deep.