Page 695 of 946 FirstFirst ... 195595645685691692693694695696697698699705745795 ... LastLast
Results 10,411 to 10,425 of 14176
  1. #10411
    Ultimate Member Tendrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    10,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    It’s very concerning that Trump now has more of a rallying cry for all Republican voters. A reminder that even if they don’t like him personally, there’s more at stake. The lure of having a massive majority on the Supreme Court with potentially more to come in a second term, could sway moderate and “Never Trump” Republicans.

    The country is in ruins. The pandemic is not close to being under control, there is civil unrest, natural disasters on both coasts, massive unemployment spikes, etc. but this could be the one issue that unites all right leaning voters and distracts the public from his disastrous first term. There’s more on the line than just the presidency. Something anti-Hillary Democrats forgot in 2016.


    Everything feels pretty hopeless right now.
    I think you're underestimating how mcuh of a mobilizing issue the courts are for the other side of this equation at this point. The stakes just got raised *even higher*.

  2. #10412
    Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    7,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    It’s very concerning that Trump now has more of a rallying cry for all Republican voters. A reminder that even if they don’t like him personally, there’s more at stake. The lure of having a massive majority on the Supreme Court with potentially more to come in a second term, could sway moderate and “Never Trump” Republicans.

    The country is in ruins. The pandemic is not close to being under control, there is civil unrest, natural disasters on both coasts, massive unemployment spikes, etc. but this could be the one issue that unites all right leaning voters and distracts the public from his disastrous first term. There’s more on the line than just the presidency. Something anti-Hillary Democrats forgot in 2016.


    Everything feels pretty hopeless right now.
    If we go by donations as an indicator which side heard the rallying cry louder, it's Democrats.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

    Hillary was right!

  3. #10413
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    22,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Exactly. I honestly believe that McConnell is willing to give up the Presidency and the Senate for this one seat. Even if he is guaranteed that the outrage will be enough to flip the Senate and lose Trump the White House, I think he still chooses to ram it through. If he can get someone like Barrett on the Court, that's at least 10-15 years of unquestioned Conservative rule on the Supreme Court. Kavanaugh and Gorsuch could have up to 30 years on the court, Alito and Thomas probably have 10 or so, Roberts somewhere in the middle. Sotomayor and Kagan are pretty young, but they're not the concerns. Breyer likely steps down under a Biden Presidency, but again, once we're in 6-3 land, nothing really matters.

    This is McConnell's legacy. He's a 78 year old man who likely only have one more term in the Senate. This is everything he has dreamed of up to this point and is able to put a final stamp on his section of the history books. He doesn't care about anything except for this. If he can ram this through, don't be shocked if he doesn't finish up his next term in the Senate.
    BINGO! McConnell sacrificed Republican control of the House in 2018 to put Kegger Kavanaugh on the bench, there's no question he'll give up the presidency and the Senate in a New York minute to replace RBG with another right winger. The fact Moscow Mitch is rushing through the process is proof he doesn't think Trump will win, so he's taking no chances on cementing that 6-3 conservative advantage on SCOTUS.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  4. #10414

    Default

    On this date in 2014, 2015, as well as 2016, "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" published profiles of North Carolina Congresswoman Renee Ellmers, who used a unique strategy for reaching Congress... she rode the 2010 Tea Party Wave on the strength of her campaigning hard against the “Ground Zero Mosque” in New York City, and while spewing out that sort of bigoted nonsense, accused Anderson Cooper of being anti-religion for questioning her pro-Christian/anti-Muslim worldview. After barely winning her first term, North Carolina’s 2nd District was gerrymandered after redistricting to be far more conservative, and keep her in office. During her second term, she voted for the 2013 Government Shutdown, and drew headlines for saying she was keeping her Congressional salary, saying, “I need my paycheck.” She’s also argued for men getting to pay less for health insurance through the Affordable Care Act because “they won’t be using the maternity leave”, tried spinning the GOP’s “War on Women” by saying the real war was being pulled off with the ACA, and in July 2014, advised her fellow Republicans that the only way they, as a party, would win over female voters in elections was to “bring policy down to a woman’s level”. After Ellmers' bailed on the harsh anti-choice bill, HR 7, because was not thrilled with the language about the definition of rape in the bill and angered the anti-abortion movement, Ellmers fell from grace with the anti-choice movement so fast, they were demanding she be left off the GOP's special committee to investigate Planned Parenthood. Between that, and rumors of an affair began to swirl involving Ellmers, and California Congressman Kevin McCarthy, she was damaged enough to finish third in the GOP Primary in 2016. She is now mercifully out of office.

    It was on this date in 2017, 2018, as well as 2019, that “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” profiled Mark Holbrook, who ran for Congress in 2016, attempting to win office in Maine's 1st Congressional District and pulling an upset in the GOP Primary by all of 58 votes. He thus advanced to attempt to unseat Democratic Congresswoman Chellie Pingree, but lost in that effort with only 42% of the vote. That is ironically an improvement upon his performance in the 2014 elections, when he only got 28% of the vote in an attempt to get into the Maine state legislature, and we're not sure how his bizarre football-themed ad could have helped elevate his profile. Especially when you consider Maine's 1st District is pretty far away from Foxboro, Massachusetts, where the nearest NFL team plays. Well, Holbrook's TV ads were also centered around portraying himself as an "anti-establishment" candidate, which got him as far as it did, adding in a little irrational criticism of Barack Obama, and winning over GOP voters by supporting Donald Trump's insane idea for a border wall. Which, if there's a state that shouldn't be worried about folks coming across the U.S./Mexico border on foot, you'd think it would be Maine, right? Well, Holbrook was actually claiming he was harder to the right on immigration than even Donald Trump, if you can believe that. Looking at Holbrook's issue stances, it's noteworthy that under his stance on abortion, he gripes about "selling baby parts" which tells you he still believes in the hoax perpetrated by the Center for Medical Progress. But on the majority of issues, Holbrook's stances are vague, or unspecified. He was contemplating running for U.S. Senate, but announced he was mounting a challenge to Rep. Pingree again in 2018, this time not even having an opponent to face off against in the GOP Primary for the seat. In July of 2017, Holbrook decided he would write an op-ed in the Portland Press Herald where he gave his humble thoughts that "fear-mongering by liberals on ACA repeal incites hostility and violence". How dare you tell people that the Republican plan to repeal the ACA would leave 23 million people without insurance and tens of thousands more people would die ANNUALLY as a result! Those facts provided by the Congressional Budget Office and medical organizations nationwide are just "fear-mongering"... This was only a slightly less inflammatory quote than seeing Mark Holbrook actually echo the disgusting comments by Donald Trump after white supremacists and Neo-Nazis carried out a terror attack and blamed "both sides" for the violence, saying they were "both sides of the same hate-filled coin". As a result, this time Mark Holbrook’s efforts in getting elected were far more pathetic, and he only got 32% of the vote in his rematch against Congresswoman Pingree. As he seems unable to ever be elected to office, we will set aside his profile at this time, and take a look at another kooky Republican today instead. (Current crazy/stupid scoreboard, is now 917-45, since this was established in July 2014.



    Bryant “Corky” Messner
    Welcome to what is the 917th original profile here at “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day”, where we’ll be discussing Bryant “Corky” Messner, a 2020 candidate for U.S. Senate in New Hampshire, looking to unseat Senator Jeanne Shaheen. Messner advanced out of the Republican primary with an endorsement from Donald Trump, which was earned by firmly and completely applying his lips to Trump’s arse to defend him, no matter how stupid Trump got. Literally, Messner even defended Donald Trump’s comments about potentially treating Covid-19 by injecting the infected with disinfectant, saying it was just “aspirational talk. (There was a literal uptick in calls to poison control after people injected themselves with bleach.)

    However, the other big thing related to Covid-19 and Corky Messner is that he believes the conspiracy that the Chinese government deliberately spread it throughout the world, and as such, he would like to punish Chinese students at American universities and ban them from taking science or physics classes, and force them to only have the option to study economics or “the American Constitution”. At other points, Messner has called on Chinese students to be banned from the United States entirely, and called for nations from around the world to refuse to pay any debts back to China for failing to contain Covid-19.

    We’ll add that Messner also denies the science behind climate change, but that probably has something to do with him having hundreds of thousands of dollars personally invested in oil and gas companies.

    But while it already looked like he was going to lose in November to Jeanne Shaheen, last month Messner’s odds became incredibly long when it was announced he was under investigation because he runs a charitable organization that supposedly aides college students in need of financial assistance… but per the former Chief Justice of the Colorado Supreme Court, it has only awarded one scholarship in the decade that it has existed. And being accused of running a fraudulent charity is exactly on-brand for someone endorsed by Donald Trump, y’know?

    We’re expecting Corky Messner to not become the first Senator in American history named “Corky” and to lose by double digits in about six weeks. This hopefully will be the only time we mention him at CSGOPOTD.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  5. #10415
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    That wasn't power the GOP had to give.


    It's not "caving," they need to compromise or we get nothing. Even the GOP as we speak has incredible trouble in congress doing things because they're not compromising on bills.
    The Republicans have the presidency and control of the Senate.

    They do have the ability to select, nominate and vote for a new Supreme Court justice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    No, I really don't think I did. The only thing the GOP wants is the seat. No concession or compromise the Dems could offer up will entice them. There will be no grand compromise because the GOP has shown over and over again that compromise is meaningless to them. There are no gentlemen's agreements that will stand. There are no enforcement mechanisms by which they will abide.

    The only thing the Dems have to offer is retaliation, which Schumer offered earlier, but the GOP is never punished for its transgressions the way the Democrats are, so what do they care?
    The difference between our perspectives seems to be tha you think the Democrats have nothing to offer? I'm not entirely sure about that.

    Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Exactly. I honestly believe that McConnell is willing to give up the Presidency and the Senate for this one seat. Even if he is guaranteed that the outrage will be enough to flip the Senate and lose Trump the White House, I think he still chooses to ram it through. If he can get someone like Barrett on the Court, that's at least 10-15 years of unquestioned Conservative rule on the Supreme Court. Kavanaugh and Gorsuch could have up to 30 years on the court, Alito and Thomas probably have 10 or so, Roberts somewhere in the middle. Sotomayor and Kagan are pretty young, but they're not the concerns. Breyer likely steps down under a Biden Presidency, but again, once we're in 6-3 land, nothing really matters.

    This is McConnell's legacy. He's a 78 year old man who likely only have one more term in the Senate. This is everything he has dreamed of up to this point and is able to put a final stamp on his section of the history books. He doesn't care about anything except for this. If he can ram this through, don't be shocked if he doesn't finish up his next term in the Senate.
    Trump's down eight points, so this isn't exactly a case of McConnelll endangering a Trump lead.

    Likewise, polls do suggest that Democrats are already the favorites to take the Senate.

    If swing-state Republican Senators were able to delay the vote until after the inauguration, would you want them to win? Would you want Susan Collins to win reelection, and Republicans to potentially keep the Senate?

    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Odd how the "Pro-Life" party didn't express any condemnation towards ICE for getting caught doing forced sterilizations of detainees and then getting caught trying to deport the women who were sterilized before they could testify to cover it up.
    It's an ongoing story, and there are multiple investigations. It has yet to be confirmed that ICE officials have called for forced sterilizations, or attempted to deport anyone in order to cover it up.

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    BINGO! McConnell sacrificed Republican control of the House in 2018 to put Kegger Kavanaugh on the bench, there's no question he'll give up the presidency and the Senate in a New York minute to replace RBG with another right winger. The fact Moscow Mitch is rushing through the process is proof he doesn't think Trump will win, so he's taking no chances on cementing that 6-3 conservative advantage on SCOTUS.
    The Democrats were favored to take the House in 2018 well before Christine Blasey Ford's allegations were leaked to the media.

    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...for-the-house/

    There's the argument that the Kavanaugh hearings helped Republicans gain seats in the Senate, where Democratic incumbents lost in Missouri, Indiana, North Dakota and Florida.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  6. #10416
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    3,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The Republicans have the presidency and control of the Senate.

    They do have the ability to select, nominate and vote for a new Supreme Court justice.
    Not when Obama was president.

    The GOP deliberately took that choice away from Obama wanted to replace Scalia with Garland. They wouldn't let the senate vote on that subject, which is what they countered on down the road for Gorsuch.

  7. #10417
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Not when Obama was president.

    The GOP deliberately took that choice away from Obama wanted to replace Scalia with Garland. They wouldn't let the senate vote on that subject, which is what they countered on down the road for Gorsuch.
    That occurred when different parties controlled the White House and the Senate.

    Now, as I said "The Republicans have the presidency and control of the Senate. They do have the ability to select, nominate and vote for a new Supreme Court justice."
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  8. #10418
    Astonishing Member Kusanagi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,920

    Default

    Does anyone else get the feeling the Republican most likely to sabotage the Supreme Court seat is Trump himself?

    As has been pointed out, right now this is easily his best rallying cry for the election, but if they sit a supreme court justice before the election the situation becomes a lot less dire for Republican voters. If anything if they sit a justice before the election that might make voters more comfortable voting for Biden since 'at least they'll have the court'.

    Would it really be out of character for Trump to sit on the nomination and hold a gun to Republicans heads and make the real claim that if they don't re-elect him the Democrats will get the seat?
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

    Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

  9. #10419
    Invincible Jersey Girl Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    25,787

    Default

    It seems to me, from what I've seen and heard, that people who are voting for Trump cite reasons such as:

    1. The Economy - They say he is good for jobs and the economy
    2. Immigration - they like his hard line stance on immigration
    3. Abortion/Religion - They hate Abortion and they think that Trump will be anti-abortion and pro-religion.

    The Economy is the one that is the hardest for me to understand. In four years he has trashed the econmy and destroyed job growth, as well as created several Stock Market scares.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

  10. #10420
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    22,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    It seems to me, from what I've seen and heard, that people who are voting for Trump cite reasons such as:

    1. The Economy - They say he is good for jobs and the economy
    2. Immigration - they like his hard line stance on immigration
    3. Abortion/Religion - They hate Abortion and they think that Trump will be anti-abortion and pro-religion.

    The Economy is the one that is the hardest for me to understand. In four years he has trashed the econmy and destroyed job growth, as well as created several Stock Market scares.
    As far as I’m concerned, there’s only ONE reason people vote for Trump:

    RACISM

    Everything else is just fluff and nonsense.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  11. #10421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    It seems to me, from what I've seen and heard, that people who are voting for Trump cite reasons such as:

    1. The Economy - They say he is good for jobs and the economy
    2. Immigration - they like his hard line stance on immigration
    3. Abortion/Religion - They hate Abortion and they think that Trump will be anti-abortion and pro-religion.

    The Economy is the one that is the hardest for me to understand. In four years he has trashed the economy and destroyed job growth, as well as created several Stock Market scares.
    Still, I think those rationales are far less important than the emotional connection Republicans have to their party. Positive party loyalty seems stronger among Republicans and Democratic party loyalty seems more negative in the sense that democrats are more emotionally motivated to vote against Republicans rather than for their candidates. I believe most younger and college graduate voters will continue to lean toward liberal and progressive but also will tend to identify as independent rather than Democrat. Often, it seems like Democratic candidates, especially moderates, will face as harsh criticism from their own voters as they will from the Republicans.

    I think the Democratic party generally reflects and represents the views of the country more comprehensively than the Republican party - including progressive, liberal and conservative points of view, but at the same time it also suffers the same sort of divisions that prove detrimental to party solidarity during elections.

  12. #10422
    "Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,921

    Default

    Life has been frustrating. Here, a moment of joy and amusement. Here's Ted Cruz accidentally eating a bug live on TV. Feel free to include this in his upcoming profile WBE.

  13. #10423
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    11,831

    Default

    The Economy? Trump is the first modern President to have a negative job growth. He is a disaster on the economy.



    You will also notice that his initial job growth was just a continuation of what Obama did and his massive tax cut for the rich did not add more jobs. There was no change to the curve after he gave the 1% more money they can't spend. But it allowed all those Corporations to increase stock buy backs instead of adding any jobs.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 09-20-2020 at 06:57 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  14. #10424
    Astonishing Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    2,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    That occurred when different parties controlled the White House and the Senate.

    Now, as I said "The Republicans have the presidency and control of the Senate. They do have the ability to select, nominate and vote for a new Supreme Court justice."
    It doesnt matter who controls the Senate and who is president.

    What matters is that in March of 2016 Mitch said the American people should choose who the next justice should be because it is an election year. Now he is changing his tune and will ram down a pick.

    Mitch is so full of shit. he wanted the vote on a justice to wait because he did not want the Dems to make the pick. He wanted to wait for a Republican. Not he wants to rush a pick through because he is worried Trump will lose. It doesnt matter that the Rebuplicans have the legal right to do this. What matters is Mitch and so many other Republicans in 2016 said no Justice should be voted on in an election year. Yet not they are ignoring that. Mirch claim to be a man of principles and a man of his word. This is proving he is a lair who will do what he can to keep his power and it is sick.

    He doesnt give a damn about the American people and their choice. He wants to do what is best for him and the party. He is proving himself to be full of shit and a liar and it is amazing how many people defend that.
    Last edited by babyblob; 09-20-2020 at 07:04 AM.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  15. #10425
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    It doesnt matter who controls the Senate and who is president.

    What matters is that in March of 2016 Mitch said the American people should choose who the next justice should be because it is an election year. Now he is changing his tune and will ram down a pick.

    Mitch is so full of shit. he wanted the vote on a justice to wait because he did not want the Dems to make the pick. He wanted to wait for a Republican. Not he wants to rush a pick through because he is worried Trump will lose. It doesnt matter that the Rebuplicans have the legal right to do this. What matters is Mitch and so many other Republicans in 2016 said no Justice should be voted on in an election year. Yet not they are ignoring that. Mirch claim to be a man of principles and a man of his word. This is proving he is a lair who will do what he can to keep his power and it is sick.

    He doesnt give a damn about the American people and their choice. He wants to do what is best for him and the party. He is proving himself to be full of shit and a liar and it is amazing how many people defend that.
    Yeah, but something, something Democrats, makes it okay

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •