I'd considering moving and voting for Tami.

Way to go!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Fair enough, I agree. The problem for me (to continue the theme) is what do we do when the next school shooter comes along? What defenses are there?

On the first bolded, thank you for the honesty.

On the other bolded, good points. Conservative= inaction. Filibuster= inaction. So filibuster favors conservatives. And there's no question it's been abused since the '90s, only getting worse over time. Not having to stand up and actually filibuster just makes things easier. I believe something needs to be done to change that, I just worry that throwing it out will bite us in the ass. Precisely because I feel like conservatives know their back is up against the wall demographically and we're approaching the last stand for white supremacy to be the unquestioned/unchallengeable status quo. They go hard because they need to go hard, will ignore or abuse rules and generally do anything they can to enact their agenda (even if that's to get nothing done). If there are no rules, that's scarier to me.

I'd say that's true, but probably also some silent resentment (imagine being around an ego that big and petty, how many slights and insults has he heaped upon even those he's loved?) that might allow them to enjoy him making an ass of himself and pretending not to have noticed.
    There were similar theories when Trump stepped up into Air Force One with toilet paper stuck to his shoe. I think Kelly Anne Conway, for one, enjoyed seeing Trump make a fool of himself from time to time.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I have to ask. Why are black men assaulting Asians?
    Whatever the reason is, I’m sure it’s complicated and requires no small amount of empathy and nuance to understand.

Thanks, everyone. I don't know if I would ever seriously run for a real political office, still, it's fun to see my name on the ballot.

There really isn't much to being in the County Committee. It's mostly just voting on county-level leadership positions, voting to decide who the County Committee endorses in political races (who gets their name in the first column), and voting on occasional rule changes or things like that. Also working with the town Municipal Chair to get local candidates elected.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I have my sample ballot, and he is in the 3rd column. He isn't even endorsed by the State Republican Organization.

Which reminds me, my name is on the ballot (squee!!) but not for political office. I'm on to be a member of the County Democratic Committee for my town. it's more of a formality than anything, but still, it's fun to see my name at the bottom of the first column of the Democratic ballot (Gov Murphy is at the top of the ballot column).
    That's excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Fair enough, I agree. The problem for me (to continue the theme) is what do we do when the next school shooter comes along? What defenses are there?

On the first bolded, thank you for the honesty.

On the other bolded, good points. Conservative= inaction. Filibuster= inaction. So filibuster favors conservatives. And there's no question it's been abused since the '90s, only getting worse over time. Not having to stand up and actually filibuster just makes things easier. I believe something needs to be done to change that, I just worry that throwing it out will bite us in the ass. Precisely because I feel like conservatives know their back is up against the wall demographically and we're approaching the last stand for white supremacy to be the unquestioned/unchallengeable status quo. They go hard because they need to go hard, will ignore or abuse rules and generally do anything they can to enact their agenda (even if that's to get nothing done). If there are no rules, that's scarier to me.

I'd say that's true, but probably also some silent resentment (imagine being around an ego that big and petty, how many slights and insults has he heaped upon even those he's loved?) that might allow them to enjoy him making an ass of himself and pretending not to have noticed.
    To be really pedantic, I was summing up other people's arguments on the question of why Democrats might want to reverse the filibuster, even if my own understanding is similar.

A distinction I'd add is that the Trump base of the Republican party wants to do stuff that may be filibustered. They want more spending for themselves, want the government to be involved in all sorts of cultural things, and have a low regard for subtle political strategy. The traditional establishment Republicans do probably view the filibuster as a tool that helps them more than it hurts them, since the situations they believe a change to be merited would be significant enough that they could peel off enough Democrats, or could be accomplished through reconciliation.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Have a bit of an update on a CSGOPOTD I profiled back in September, Lauren Witzke, a candidate for U.S. Senate in Delaware. She was into conspiracy theories like Qanon, but also entertains flat earth discussions, anti-Semitic conspiracies, and is a 9/11 Truther. Oh, and she hangs out with white nationalists and admitted to helping drug cartels smuggle contraband earlier in her life.

Anyway... she's somehow now a fill-in host for bats*** televangelist Rick Wiles. She's filling in today, because Wiles thought Jesus would make him immune to Covid-19, and Wiles got to find out that J.C. did not, in fact, make him bulletproof. So while Witzke is filling in, she came up with a great bats*** theory... Satan gave Rick Wiles Covid-19 because he had Milo Yiannapolous on his show last week to talk about the benefits of anti-gay therapy, and that made a vengeful lord of hell inflict a disease upon Wiles. No word on why the other millions of people around the world have caught the virus, or what they did to anger Satan.

These are actual Republican candidates for office who win primaries. They aren't outliers. This is the GQP.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Have a bit of an update on a CSGOPOTD I profiled back in September, Lauren Witzke, a candidate for U.S. Senate in Delaware. She was into conspiracy theories like Qanon, but also entertains flat earth discussions, anti-Semitic conspiracies, and is a 9/11 Truther. Oh, and she hangs out with white nationalists and admitted to helping drug cartels smuggle contraband earlier in her life.

Anyway... she's somehow now a fill-in host for bats*** televangelist Rick Wiles. She's filling in today, because Wiles thought Jesus would make him immune to Covid-19, and Wiles got to find out that J.C. did not, in fact, make him bulletproof. So while Witzke is filling in, she came up with a great bats*** theory... Satan gave Rick Wiles Covid-19 because he had Milo Yiannapolous on his show last week to talk about the benefits of anti-gay therapy, and that made a vengeful lord of hell inflict a disease upon Wiles. No word on why the other millions of people around the world have caught the virus, or what they did to anger Satan.

These are actual Republican candidates for office who win primaries. They aren't outliers. This is the GQP.
    Yeah, nutbags with some seriously bad wiring upstairs. It's amazing these loons lie awake at night dreaming up mondo crazy crap like that.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I have no words.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Republican Wins Mayoral Race in 85% Latino Texas Town Where Hillary Clinton Won by 40 Points

The city of McAllen, Texas—a border town that went for Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump by 40 points in 2016—just elected a Republican mayor.

Javier Villalobos defeated Democrat Veronica Vela Whitacre by 206 votes in a runoff election over the weekend, according to unofficial election results reported by KRGV. Votes will be canvassed and certified by city officials on June 14.

Villalobos, an attorney and former chairman of Texas' Hidalgo County Republican Party, thanked his supporters and campaign team following his narrow victory.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Republicans won a mayoral race in Fort Worth as well, so the party is happy about Texas.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/07/u...publicans.html

Local factors may be at play in the McAllen mayoral race. This was a general election with 9,282 ballots cast in a city of 143,000. To be fair, it does have a population in excess of South Bend, Indiana.

Biden carried the county by 17 percent, so it has been getting very rapidly more conservative or at least friendlier to Republicans.

This detail was refreshing.

Mr. Villalobos, a local lawyer who is a city commissioner, celebrated his victory by riding a bicycle built for two with Jim Darling, McAllen’s departing mayor. Mr. Darling did not seek re-election after eight years in office.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 06-07-2021 at 06:33 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I think a lot of Democrats haven’t realized that Latinos (especially older Latinos) are socially conservative. It’s going to be difficult to get them to back progressive issues. A large section of the Latino population is anti-immigration, especially those in south Texas regions.

Latinos in South Texas Voted Against Illegal Immigration and CBP Demonization

It’s unfortunate that Latinos are voting against their own self interest but Republican rhetoric seems to be working on them. Also, the Biden campaign really didn’t make as big of an effort as they could have to sway them. They just assumed Latinos would vote blue.

Another mistake is to view the Latino population as a single voting block. Mexicans in California and Nevada vote differently from those in Texas. Cubans in Florida vote differently than Puerto Ricans on the East Coast, etc.
    Last edited by Robotman; 06-07-2021 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I think a lot of Democrats haven’t realized that Latinos (especially older Latinos) are socially conservative. It’s going to be difficult to get them to back progressive issues. A large section of the Latino population is anti-immigration, especially those in south Texas regions.

A lot of those Democrats have not even internalized that Trump could have actually done better with Latinos the second time out.

Never mind that he actually did.

Never mind that the Texas border presents a pretty singular situation for voters to base their votes on.

BANNED

I think a lot of Democrats haven’t realized that Latinos (especially older Latinos) are socially conservative. It’s going to be difficult to get them to back progressive issues.
    Let's not generalize just yet.

It’s unfortunate that Latinos are voting against their own self interest but Republican rhetoric seems to be working on them.
    Let's not condescend to voters either.

Wait for the data to come. As it is, it was a close election and it was a very narrow victory eked out. It's not clear what message there is to take away just yet.

Ultimate Member

It’s unfortunate that Latinos are voting against their own self interest but Republican rhetoric seems to be working on them. Also, the Biden campaign really didn’t make as big of an effort as they could have to sway them. They just assumed Latinos would vote blue.

Another mistake is to view the Latino population as a single voting block. Mexicans in California and Nevada vote differently from those in Texas. Cubans in Florida vote differently than Puerto Ricans on the East Coast, etc.
    Exactly.

I think Democrats need to understand this, a substantial number of minorities are socially conservative but liberal when it comes to politics and economics. There’s this myth that arose with the Obama Presidency that minorities are some gigantic blue bloc, that couldn’t be further from the truth.

Being of mixed- African descent, I can say quite confidently that a lot of black people and Latinos (especially the religious ones which make up a massive number of them) actually agree with the GOP on certain issues, the real turnoff is the 1. Racism 2. Penchant for punching down and bullying 3. Trickle down economics (a lot of people don’t know just how much Reagan’s policies devastated minorities) and the glorification and preservation of wealth at all costs- which is what the GOP is married too. 4.General weirdness (politics aside p, you have to question the sanity of guys like Matt Gaetz and Majorie Taylor Greene).

The dems have to consider how they’re going to bring more Latinos into the fold especially in the era of disinformation and fear mongering.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I think Democrats need to understand this, a substantial number of minorities are socially conservative but liberal when it comes to politics and economics.
    Wait for the data to come, then generalize.