Page 99 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 498995969798991001011021031091491995991099 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 75153
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    As for the point on statistics that some of the posters here are African-Americans who dealt with the issues of academic equity, I don't think that contradicts anything I've said so far, but obviously anyone is welcome to discuss the impact of those policies if they want to.
    Already did that a long time ago when we discussed the differences in education in neighborhoods I've lived and taught in along with personal stories about police harassment.

Your general sentiment was the same as it is now -- acknowledging the problems after a long bout of denial and little else.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I was thinking that by being a red state, the Yellow Snowflake trusts them to keep those damn dirty Dems/minorities away from voting.
    If voters don't show up in person, how can the people running the polling places know which ones to exclude for being minorities? That's Trump's thinking, IMHO.
    Last edited by Anodyne; 05-24-2020 at 07:15 PM.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member

Mets' argument was that Trump was doing a better job than Cuomo. It's a low bar to clear, but that was my argument not his.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

So in wild things to see on a FB. I stumbled across a wild conspiracy deal where Bill Gates is trying to infect people with tracking chips in the vaccine because he wants to "control" people. Also he now controls Apple products and some app is gonna do it too. lol
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Because they have rich patrons, discriminate actively or passively (better not be gay!) and poorer schools need it more.

Why should my tax dollars be used to teach religion?
    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Why? Because they don’t need it! Not while they have well heeled sugar daddies to keep them solvent.
    The counterargument would be that the federal government is spending a lot to offset the costs of COVID-19. One could certainly see funding to private schools in these unique and rare circumstances as being part of that, as this is not an appropriate time to play favorites, especially with mandated school closures creating new expenses and complications.

The private schools here didn't do anything wrong, but are still suffering financial costs as a result of the pandemic.

Efforts to keep money from those who don't need it are going to make it harder for those who do need it (as they are less likely to have the resources to navigate complex bureaucracies.)

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonAnders View Post
    You mean aside from it being illegal?

Are you seriously suggesting you don't see a problem with this?
    If the text of the law clearly excludes private schools, than I would have a problem with this. I'm not sure it does.

A politician saying something doesn't make it true.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Already did that a long time ago when we discussed the differences in education in neighborhoods I've lived and taught in along with personal stories about police harassment.

Your general sentiment was the same as it is now -- acknowledging the problems after a long bout of denial and little else.
    New evidence isn't necessarily going to change opinions, not should it.

Just because something happened to an individual doesn't mean there's an obligation to agree with their policy recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Mets' argument was that Trump was doing a better job than Cuomo. It's a low bar to clear, but that was my argument not his.
    I did not say that Trump is doing a better job. What I said is that "Trump and Republican Governors are not the only ones who messed up."
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 05-24-2020 at 07:35 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

I did not say that Trump is doing a better job. What I said is that "Trump and Republican Governors are not the only ones who messed up."
    It was hardly a massive rebuke of what Trump and the GOP are doing, when even if you're right about Cuomo what separates how badly they "messed up" is Mount Everest.

Went back through the day. While this probably isn't the final say, it's worth taking note of -

https://my.xfinity.com/articles/news...g-Florida-b023

Judge rules against Florida on felons paying fines to vote

I remain unaware that a majority of elected Democratic members of Congress or statewide officeholders are in favor of marijuana legalisation.

As far as I know, this remains a policy supported by a majority of elected officeholders on both sides.
    To go back to this for a second, this is the stance of the person heading the party in the year 2020...

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/18/212602...rump-president

Biden’s opposition to marijuana legalization is at odds with most Americans’ views
    In debates, in his criminal justice reform plan, and in his “Plan for Black America,” Biden has said he supports the federal decriminalization of marijuana, which would maintain fines but do away with prison or jail time for possession. But he remains opposed to full legalization, which would remove all penalties and, typically, allow sales for recreational purposes.

Mighty Member

The counterargument would be that the federal government is spending a lot to offset the costs of COVID-19. One could certainly see funding to private schools in these unique and rare circumstances as being part of that, as this is not an appropriate time to play favorites, especially with mandated school closures creating new expenses and complications.

The private schools here didn't do anything wrong, but are still suffering financial costs as a result of the pandemic.

Efforts to keep money from those who don't need it are going to make it harder for those who do need it (as they are less likely to have the resources to navigate complex bureaucracies.)

If the text of the law clearly excludes private schools, than I would have a problem with this. I'm not sure it does.
    The CARES Act is not about providing financial relief to private businesses, which private schools would fall under, and can apply for support under Trump's relief act.

The CARES Act is about providing funding to public schools in impoverished areas, because the parents cannot afford to purchase the technology required for their child to engage in online learning. If you can afford to send your child to a private school, (Religious or not) than you can afford to buy a laptop for your child. Many parents living in the South Bronx, do not have that luxury.

https://www.ed.gov/news/press-releas...onal-emergency

The problem with Betsy Devos is that she is an ideological zealot, who instead of engaging in the logical pragmatism of providing support for students in low income neighborhoods, has to inject her politics into the bill, by diverting the money to privately orientated religious schools. One should govern like a legislator, not an ideologue.

Ultimate Member

New evidence isn't necessarily going to change opinions, not should it.

Just because something happened to an individual doesn't mean there's an obligation to agree with their policy recommendations.
    I also already pointed out a long time ago that the only thing that usually changes a Republican's mind is when they start suffering as well.

And because of that the best option is to prosecute the criminal elements of the party and vote the rest of them out of power.

-----
    "National Republicans sue California to block mail-ballot November election"

"The Republican Party has thrown its full weight behind challenging California’s move to a mail-ballot November election during the coronavirus pandemic.

A lawsuit from the Republican National Committee, the National Republican Congressional Committee and the California Republican Party seeks to invalidate Gov. Gavin Newsom’s order that county election officials mail every registered California voter a ballot. While Newsom and California election overseers have said the switch is necessary to balance public health with civic participation, opponents argue that Newsom has overstepped his authority.

The lawsuit argues that Newsom exceeded the limits of his powers by not seeking the consent of the state Legislature, accusing him of a “brazen power grab” that “was not authorized by state law” and transgressing the Constitution.

Republicans in California and nationally have battled efforts to expand remote balloting for the November election, warning that mail ballots increase the risk of voter fraud. President Donald Trump has amplified that critique, including a string of Memorial Day weekend tweets, and additionally bemoaned mail ballots on the grounds that they disproportionately benefit Democrats.

A complaint filed in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California emphasizes those arguments, alleging that Newsom has “created a recipe for disaster” with an ill-conceived voting plan.

“No State that regularly conducts statewide all-mail elections automatically mails ballots to inactive voters because it invites fraud, coercion, theft, and otherwise illegitimate voting,” it states. “Fraudulent and invalid votes dilute the votes of honest citizens and deprive them of their right to vote in violation of the Fourteenth Amendment.”

Newsom was already facing legal challenges to his all-mail election order, including one filed last week by former Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), who is seeking to return to the House this year. The governor said Friday that he believed he was well within his authority.

“We’re on firm legal ground,” Newsom said, arguing that “public health is a nonpartisan issue.”

Millions of California voters already participate in mail-focused elections thanks to a state law that encourages counties to send ballots to all registered voters in an effort to lift participation."

https://www.politico.com/states/cali...ection-1286119
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-24-2020 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    The CARES Act is not about providing financial relief to private businesses, which private schools would fall under, and can apply for support under Trump's relief act.

The CARES Act is about providing funding to public schools in impoverished areas, because the parents cannot afford to purchase the technology required for their child to engage in online learning. If you can afford to send your child to a private school, (Religious or not) than you can afford to buy a laptop for your child. Many parents living in the South Bronx, do not have that luxury.

The problem with Betsy Devos is that she is an ideological zealot, who instead of engaging in the logical pragmatism of providing support for students in low income neighborhoods, has to inject her politics into the bill, by diverting the money to privately orientated religious schools. One should govern like a legislator, not an ideologue.
    The CARES Act (The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act) is the entire two trillion dollar stimulus package.

That money is going all over the place, including to businesses.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/25/211927...virus-stimulus
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

The CARES Act (The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act) is the entire two trillion dollar stimulus package.

That money is going all over the place, including to businesses.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/25/211927...virus-stimulus
    Yes, but the money provided to education is specifically for technology infrastructure, that is clearly stated by the US department of Education on April 6th. She is using wording without the overall care act to divert funding to private schools, who do not require technology infrastructure, because again, if you can afford to send your child to private school, than you can afford to buy them a laptop, many students in the South Bronx do not have that luxury,

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post

To call these people ideologues implies they have any actual principles, as opposed to acting purely out of self interest. It's not as if people like Devos believe that private religious schools would be better for everyone, it's just that in the current system they give a distinct advantage to children like her own while screwing over all the poor minority kids who can't afford to pay for that. The evangelical movement has never really been about Christianity, it's just that it's the label that comes closest to matching the non-ethnic whiteness that defines the "real" America for them. And when it comes to education, it's pretty clear that for all that affluent parents spend sending their kids to fancy private schools, they don't really get much value out for their money. Oh sure, their kids tend to do much better in life than poor kids stuck in dilapidated public schools, but when you control for socioeconomic background that effect pretty much entirely evaporates. There is no question that, if we were to spend the same amount of money per student on a public school system that served everyone equally, it would be the finest in the world by a long shot.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    To call these people ideologues implies they have any actual principles, as opposed to acting purely out of self interest. It's not as if people like Devos believe that private religious schools would be better for everyone, it's just that in the current system they give a distinct advantage to children like her own while screwing over all the poor minority kids who can't afford to pay for that. The evangelical movement has never really been about Christianity, it's just that it's the label that comes closest to matching the non-ethnic whiteness that defines the "real" America for them. And when it comes to education, it's pretty clear that for all that affluent parents spend sending their kids to fancy private schools, they don't really get much value out for their money. Oh sure, their kids tend to do much better in life than poor kids stuck in dilapidated public schools, but when you control for socioeconomic background that effect pretty much entirely evaporates. There is no question that, if we were to spend the same amount of money per student on a public school system that served everyone equally, it would be the finest in the world by a long shot.
    People's political ideologies are shaped by their economic background. Betsy Devos was raised by her billionaire father and was sent to a private Christian school at a very young age. Believe me, if she could ensure that every impoverished child in America (Regardless of race, Black, White, Hispanic) would attend a private Christian school, you better believe that she would do it.

I wouldn't be surprised if she denotes charity to poor minority neighborhoods, and despite rolling with Trump, it wouldn't surprise me in the least, if she is in Koch Libertarian camp, more so, than the Mercers, and their brand of right wing nationalism.