Page 131 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 31811211271281291301311321331341351411812316311131 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,965 of 75153
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    it was the riots after King was killed that led to the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1968, more than a century after slavery ended.

After which Republicans resorted to the "Southern Strategy", "Jim Crow Laws" and African-American voter suppression to win elections, as they still do so today whenever possible.
    Then, in that case, I’ll say this:

if the riots that happened/are happening in the aftermath of George Floyd’s death, regardless of what was destroyed and, more importantly, any innocent lives which were risked in the process in all that destruction, leads to the passage of another Civil Rights Act, or, if the government can’t be trusted to do that much, the implementation of another reform/solution which goes far enough to accomplish a significantly positive change in negating corruption and helping black people everywhere happens, then, ok then...

Ok then I’ll say, it will be at that point that I’ll change my ways of thinking how I view riots, despite how life-threatening they can get, and admit that riots are more necessary than I had been taught and thought, even if they’re called a necessary evil, in getting society to change for the better, with the understanding of otherwise condemning riots only when it goes hand in hand with condemning intolerable conditions the unheard are going through, like how MLK was touching on.

I’m prepared to view riots more as necessary if it leads to more significant reforms that will negate aspects such as "Southern Strategy", "Jim Crow Laws" and African-American voter suppression, like you were mentioning and also mentioned that it was riots that led to the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1968. I’m sure I’ll view riots in a better light after that...

but, in the case a significant solution doesn’t come about akin to the Civil Rights Act of 1968, which you yourself referred to, or whatever other example or gage you prefer to use when referring to the progress of maintaining the well-being of black people everywhere, ultimately doesn’t end up happening in the aftermath of all the riots, which many seem ready to risk their lives in by the way others I’ve seen talk about it regardless of how dangerous they can get, then...

we’ll, that would be another story, wouldn’t it?
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 05-29-2020 at 04:06 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Ok then I’ll say, it will be at that point that I’ll change my ways of thinking how I view riots, despite how life-threatening they can get, and admit that riots are more necessary than I had thought, even if they’re called a necessary evil, in getting society to change for the better, with the understanding of otherwise condemning riots only when it goes hand in hand with condemning intolerable conditions the unheard are going through, like how MLK was touching on.
    Not asking that you change your view on riots.

Just that you understand why they happen in America and that Republicans repeatedly fight against and repeal nearly all of your suggestions regarding finding alternate solutions.

It says a lot that one of the few Republicans fighting hard for police reform was their only African-American congressmen.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-29-2020 at 04:17 PM.

I mean, I think the LAPD are less corrupt today because they got exposed on Rodney King, and after the L.A. Riots, changes were made from up on high within that police force to curtail that sort of thing within that city.

I'm not going to act like the riot itself was people doing the rioting out of social activism. Hell, there's a Sublime song about it.

But again, we've created a system where people might have to loot to survive, regardless of their race. We're all broke down here.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    White people riot for their football teams winning and losing, getting haircuts in the midst of pandemics, and just if they’re drunk enough. Who has called them “violent” or “thugs”?
    NOBODY

e settled for THIRD DEGREE murder. People have to LOOK UP what that term means because it’s so uncommon.
    You go with the charge that you think you can win.
    Not the one that you think will get you into White House next to the President. That is why Zimmerman is still free.

How has the blue state of Minnesota failed to have a democracy that represents the will of the people?
    it's hard to address issues when your minority population is 8-15%.
    I can ignore a lot of issues if they are never bought up.

so understanding the solutions that need to be figured out and put into action.
    First you have to have folks understand there is an issue.
    Second you have to be willing to meet and discuss those issues.
    Third you have to agree on solutions.

Most folks understand the first point. It's the OTHERS that are troublesome.
    They are troublesome because everyone has an AGENDA to BENEFIT them.

How many folks have PROFITED off of dead black males? Folks who got movie deals, tv shows, jobs, elected and so on.

See someone BENEFITS from all this.
    I can't run on an end police brutality platform if it's GONE.
    I can't put friends on special task forces if gun violence is solved.
    I can't keep certain businesses out of the hood-if crime rate is ultra down.
    I can't keep my WHITE schools at the top as the best-if Black schools are FIXED.
    I can't STEAL or MISUSE money for movements-if they are no longer needed. Hi Shaun King.

A lot of these issues could be solved if the right folks get to the table. The folks who benefit from this mess keep them out.

‘I am George Floyd’: Four more NYPD officers break rank to criticize Minneapolis cop now charged in Floyd’s death

A day after an active-duty NYPD officer took to social media to label the white police officer now charged in the death of George Floyd as his “enemy,” four more New York city cops are publicly sharing the same rage.

“I am George Floyd,” each of the NYPD officers, two of them retired, say in the brief social media messages that lament the shocking death of Floyd, who panted “I can’t breathe” multiple times as a white cop kept his knee pressed to the unresisting black man’s neck for over five minutes.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Or the Boston Tea Party lmaoooo
    I was recently talking to friend who's a high school teacher of American History about the Boston Tea Party. I wondered what would have happened if the Sons of Liberty had been actual Native Americans instead of just dressed like them. She said that they likely would have been executed. Specifically, she said that there would have been another Boston Massacre.
    Last edited by Malvolio; 05-29-2020 at 04:29 PM.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You go with the charge that you think you can win.
    Not the one that you think will get you into White House next to the President. That is why Zimmerman is still free.
    Not the point of my comment. Also don’t understand what the second sentence was about.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I mean, I think the LAPD are less corrupt today because they got exposed on Rodney King, and after the L.A. Riots, changes were made from up on high within that police force to curtail that sort of thing within that city.

I'm not going to act like the riot itself was people doing the rioting out of social activism. Hell, there's a Sublime song about it.

But again, we've created a system where people might have to loot to survive, regardless of their race. We're all broke down here.
    Are you kidding me? The rioting IS for social activism. Looting is for survival, but don’t pretend that we’re all treated equally. In discussions of class, black ppl are still hit harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I was recently talking to friend who's a high school teacher of American History about the Boston Tea Party. I wondered what would have happened if the Sons of Liberty had been actual Native Americans instead of just dressed like them. She said that they likely would have been executed.
    Militias are okay as long as they are white. Just like if Black ppl were in Congress with guns, yelling about the lockdown, they would’ve been beaten, arrested, and a few may even be killed for “causing the officer to fear for his life”

Good. Now all those NYPD officers should start saying “I am [INSERT BLACK PERSON I UNFAIRLY STOPPED AND FRISKED/BRUTALIZED/KILLED]”
    Last edited by Tycon; 05-29-2020 at 04:18 PM.

Ultimate Member

"Jeff Sessions's Blind Eye"

The new attorney general makes it clear that when it comes to abuses in local policing, Americans are now on their own.

"One of the effects of racial segregation is that it fractures reality, so that the daily occurrences of one world can be entirely invisible, even fantastic, to another. When the town of Ferguson, Missouri, erupted in protest during the summer of 2014, in the aftermath of Michael Brown’s shooting at the hands of police officer Darren Wilson, millions of Americans were shocked, both at the ferocity of the demonstrations, and the brutal, militaristic response of local police.

To many white Americans, the world Ferguson residents described to reporters must have seemed preposterous––a violent klepto-state where black residents were bled dry by the municipal government and frequently abused and treated with contempt by an unaccountable police force. In turn, Ferguson’s black residents radiated frustration with a country that seemed in disbelief about what they had seen, heard, felt, and very literally paid for in more ways than one.

In March 2015, the civil-rights division of the Justice Department published the results of a months-long investigation into Ferguson, uncovering a municipal government that saw the criminalization of its own residents as a source of revenue, with city officials even directing police to produce increases in court fees for infractions like “manner of walking in roadway” and “failure to comply.” The report described how the municipal government saw the town’s black residents “less as constituents to be protected than as potential offenders and sources of revenue,” and the police force itself as a kind of armed “collection agency.”

Among the crucial contributions of the report was documenting a little acknowledged fact of life for the modern American poor: Any encounter with law enforcement can set in motion a series of events that can devastate the already precarious livelihoods of those with meager resources, something you are far more likely to experience if you are black.

The federal government’s authority to investigate and oversee reforms in local police departments comes from a law passed in the aftermath of the 1991 beating of Rodney King by four Los Angeles police officers, and their subsequent acquittal, despite video evidence showing cops striking a dazed and helpless King repeatedly with batons. Then as now, many viewers were shocked by a vivid representation of police brutality faced by black Americans, while others refused to see any problem worth addressing at all.

The purpose of that law was to address systemic problems in police departments that could lead to such incidents, by giving the federal government the power to investigate local authorities for systemic problems, then enter into court-enforced agreements known as “consent decrees” to compel changes if necessary. On March 31, Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who was cynically sold by his defenders as a champion of civil rights, ordered a review of the Justice Department’s approach to policing, asserting that “it is not the responsibility of the federal government to manage non-federal law enforcement agencies.”

During his confirmation hearing, Sessions said federal investigations of police departments were bad for “morale,” and waved away the idea that police abuses could be systemic, rather than the actions of a few bad apples."

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...nd-eye/521946/
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-29-2020 at 04:20 PM.

That fact that he thinks this is a good thing to brag about lmaoooooo

https://twitter.com/anacabrera/statu...628267008?s=21
    "This is by far the fastest we've ever charged a police officer"-Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Then, in that case, I’ll say this:

if the riots that happened/are happening in the aftermath of George Floyd’s death, regardless of what was destroyed and, more importantly, any innocent lives which were risked in the process in all that destruction, leads to the passage of another Civil Rights Act, or, if the government can’t be trusted to do that much, the implementation of another reform/solution which goes far enough to accomplish a significantly positive change in negating corruption and helping black people everywhere happens, then, ok then...
    Kneeling, talking, complying, fighting, rioting. None of these forms of protests are EVER acceptable, never taken seriously, and are never heard.

There's always a complaint, always a judgement. It doesn't matter what black people do.

That fact that he thinks this is a good thing to brag about lmaoooooo

https://twitter.com/anacabrera/statu...628267008?s=21
    If that's true, then the question must be asked: why have they been so slow to charge police officers in these types of cases in the past?
    Watching television is not an activity.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonAnders View Post
    Kneeling, talking, complying, fighting, rioting. None of these forms of protests are EVER acceptable, never taken seriously, and are never heard.

There's always a complaint, always a judgement. It doesn't matter what black people do.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-29-2020 at 04:35 PM.

Mighty Member

It probably happens in YOUR country, too. Don’t be like “omg America is soooo bad, good thing im in [INSERT COUNTRY THAT ALSO HAS VIOLENT POLICE BRUTALITY AGAINST BLACK PPL THAT OFTEN GETS IGNORED]” cause it isn’t an empathetic or sensitive take at all.
    I'm not trying to be empathetic or sensitive, I am expressing my pure disgust of what I witnessed on youtube. Yes my country has it's fair share of police brutality like everywhere else, but no we do not have frequent re-occuring episodes of the police choking or shooting unarmed black men to death. I have crossed the line to your country on several occasions, and your police scare the crap at me, they are extremely militant, most likely because you do not have any gun control.

My country also does not have a history of Confederate States that relied on plantation slavery for it's economy to function. You have deep systemic racial problems down there. So politely get stuffed.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    You know Politifact gave him a rare "Full Flop" rating recently due to how, during the Obama administration, he was all "We have to protect the independence of inspector generals", but during the Trump administration, he did a 180 and is all, "we have to serve the president, regardless of integrity". Makes you wonder what was the dividing factor between the two... hmm? Certainly has nothing to do with party lines, isn't it?

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...endence-trump/
    Last edited by GindyPosts; 05-29-2020 at 05:49 PM.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    There's an inherent irony to the fact that "peaceful" protests are ignored and downplayed; almost mocked, while the moment you finally respond with anger and hostility towards a system, people criticize you for being barbaric and uncivilized.