Page 4943 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 3943444348434893493349394940494149424943494449454946494749534993 ... LastLast
Results 74,131 to 74,145 of 75153
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post

Many Republicans share Trump's values and many independents don't recognize the historical precedent at work -- or authoritarianism in general.

Others repeatedly downplay or ignore the obvious and hope that continually playing with fire doesn't eventually burn them as well.
    Or worse, they don’t care, and that’s what worries me the most.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Yeah...

If only there was a simple, pragmatic move that a group of Democratic politicians could have made that would have kept the guy from being Speaker...
    You mean keep the guy who repeatedly broke his word to them in charge? I'm sure he'd keep his word the next time. Would you perhaps be interested in a bridge I have for sale? For completely unrelated reasons, I assure you.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post

Many Republicans share Trump's values and many independents don't recognize the historical precedent at work -- or authoritarianism in general.

Others repeatedly downplay or ignore the obvious and hope that continually playing with fire doesn't eventually burn them as well.
    Rather disturbingly, Trump leads in every single recent poll.

There's a real possibility that he will come back in 2024.

People are weird though. For a man who almost literally wrecked democracy in the US to still get so much support says a lot about the electorate.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

People are weird though. For a man who almost literally wrecked democracy in the US to still get so much support says a lot about the electorate.
    Most of Trump’s followers don’t care that he nearly crashed the country. They love him unconditionally because he validated their hate and gave it a voice while he was president.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Most of Trump’s followers don’t care that he nearly crashed the country. They love him unconditionally because he validated their hate and gave it a voice while he was president.
    His followers blindly worshipping him is one that but the fact that so many “undecided” voters and minorities seemingly want him back in the White House makes me lose what little faith I still had in humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    His followers blindly worshipping him is one that but the fact that so many “undecided” voters and minorities seemingly want him back in the White House makes me lose what little faith I still had in humanity.
    People are B'ing and complaining about the Economy, unable to see anything past their own wallets. The economy is improving though slowly, and they are impatient. There are other things that are making them look for a scape goat to blame.

If things change for the better by election time a year from now, current polling will be meaningless.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Incredible Member Reverse Happy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

If that ain't an indictment of democracy, I don't know what is. "A republic, if you can keep it" indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    People are B'ing and complaining about the Economy, unable to see anything past their own wallets. The economy is improving though slowly, and they are impatient. There are other things that are making them look for a scape goat to blame.

If things change for the better by election time a year from now, current polling will be meaningless.
    There is a really obvious problem there...

If you say something along the lines of "Read my lips. No new taxes..."?

It might come back to haunt you.

Biden ran on saying rather loudly that he was the "Competent Alternative..."

If you say something like that, it is not exactly unfair for folks to expect said competency.

While you might look at things and say "Slow improvement is good enough for me..."?

Some folks probably quite reasonably expect someone who is "Competent..." not to preside over the sort of increase in inflation that has not happened in decades in the first place. That someone truly "Competent..." would have the competency to avoid that entirely.

Personally, I can look at the thing and say "Well, this is the first time someone has ever tried to pull this particular thing off of the shoulder and back onto the road..."

That said, if folks won't cut him that same degree of slack?

I get it.

This one might be worth the space.

https://apnews.com/article/cantaloup...6d7c43d3c3b323

Salmonella in cantaloupes sickens dozens in 15 states, U.S. health officials say
    U.S. health officials are warning consumers not to eat certain whole and cut cantaloupes and pre-cut fruit products linked to an outbreak of salmonella poisoning.

At least 43 people in 15 states have been infected in the outbreak announced Friday, including 17 people who were hospitalized. Several brands of whole and pre-cut cantaloupes and pre-cut fruit have been recalled. They include Malichita brand whole cantaloupe, Vinyard brand pre-cut cantaloupe and ALDI whole cantaloupe and pre-cut fruit products.

Consumers who have the products in their homes should throw them away.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Musk has announced that he will file federal lawsuits against the companies that pulled their ads from X after the endorsing that tweet. He said it is an attempt to silence free speech.
    Do you have a link for that? The way I read it is that he wants to sue the media watchdog group Media Matters for pointing out that nazi content is appearing next to those firms' advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Yeah...

If only there was a simple, pragmatic move that a group of Democratic politicians could have made that would have kept the guy from being Speaker...
    Like voting for another fascist extremist, maybe one with an impulse control problem who has physically assaulted other members of congress?

John Fugelsang had a good point about the polls the other day. He said that they're really only polling people who still use a landline or people who answer an unknown number on their cellphone. That amounts to a small, skewed sample size of "Dewey Defeats Truman" proportions.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    John Fugelsang had a good point about the polls the other day. He said that they're really only polling people who still use a landline or people who answer an unknown number on their cellphone. That amounts to a small, skewed sample size of "Dewey Defeats Truman" proportions.
    I only even consider answering unknown numbers if I am either expecting a potential phone call from a number I don't keep in my phone - but those often have a description attached like "Healthcare" (which includes the local vet) or it comes from someplace with a relative who I don't typically keep in contact with - but then I typically don't speak when I answer, as robocalls typically don't start in unless they pick up a voice first.

I've never received a phone call for a survey, at least not one that wasn't robodialed.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    At the same time, those polling companies are aware of that and try to apply a model to make up for that. In many elections, the polls have not been far off. So I am worrying about Trump being ahead.