Page 170 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 701201601661671681691701711721731741802202706701170 ... LastLast
Results 2,536 to 2,550 of 75153

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    The Insurrection Act allows a president to use US troops without approval in an emergency situation.
    It is rarely used, last being used in response to the 1992 riots that erupted after the acquittal of the officers who beat Rodney King. But the Bunker Bitch has never cared about precedent.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I wonder how many of his followers will gush at him waving a Bible around at the same time he ignores its teachings
    Hey if he’s holding the Old Testament he’s right on the money in a lot of instances. On numerous occasions God ordered armies to invade cities and smite enemies. Numbers 25-26 for example. Smiting was his solution to a lot of problems.

One thing I noticed as I am watching the news. The county coroner has now said the cause of death for Floyd was because of what the officer did.

On another note I am torn. On one hand I want the riots and looting to stop. As a country we just cant allow that to keep going on unchecked. But threatening to use the force of the US military is bothersome. An army against their own citizens is very troubling. I really dont know what to think. I have always been about law and order, I have always been about resolving things in a peaceful many. I have always been proud of my country even when I was in prison I had no ill will towards the legal system or the country. I always had a set of beliefs and stuck to them. But the last few years I have been really been questioning hard those beliefs.

I dont really remember the riots of 1992 and to be honest didnt pay much attention to Ferguson and Baltimore. I have grown up in the last few years and am learning and trying to understand. I mean being 39 maybe I am too late I dont know. But I am having a hard time with all of this mentally. And if it is bad for me a white man I cant even picture what it is like for a black person in this country right now.
    Last edited by babyblob; 06-01-2020 at 04:46 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

It was the expected. Racism, racism, shoot people, property is important.

Not a drop of empathy to be found.
    Considering Trump hasn’t said **** about the more than 100,000 people that died from coronavirus, most of which the direct result of his incompetence and negligence, that came as absolutely no surprise.

I wonder how many of his followers will gush at him waving a Bible around at the same time he ignores its teachings
    The holy rollers stopped caring about the teachings of the Bible long ago. Just like the GOP, they’re all about the cruelty.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Nevermind....

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    It is rarely used, last being used in response to the 1992 riots that erupted after the acquittal of the officers who beat Rodney King. But the Bunker Bitch has never cared about precedent.
    You can argue there are a lot of similarities between the 92 Riots over Rodney King and the current situation. The biggest DIFFERENCE being in the former, the governor requested assistance from the president.

You can argue there are a lot of similarities between the 92 Riots over Rodney King and the current situation. The biggest DIFFERENCE being in the former, the governor requested assistance from the president.
    Well, it does seem like there is kind of a built in override if State level government is not able to protect the civil rights of the state's citizens.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    And hell, that was in one state. I sure hope all the governors aren't going to allow a damn army in to wage war against protestors

Astonishing Member

The Insurrection Act allows a president to use US troops without approval in an emergency situation.
    The governor of Illinois has been on MSNBC and CNN. He completely disagrees with that and says the Governors have to ASK for the military to be deployed in regards to the Act in question. And he will NOT and knows no governor that will.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Well, it does seem like there is kind of a built in override if State level government is not able to protect the civil rights of the state's citizens.
    Statutes like this are deliberately vague as far as when something like this could be used.

Trump using it here would be completely unprecidentd... but it would probably take a room full of constitutional lawyer to determine whether or not it was actually outside his authority.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

And hell, that was in one state. I sure hope all the governors aren't going to allow a damn army in to wage war against protestors
    As with everything in politics these days, I suspect it would all come down to partisanship. While I seriously doubt blue state governors would take that drastic step, red staters, eager to please Trump, probably might, if not would.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

Shockingly enough, Ivey is against using the federal stormtroopers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El Summers View Post
    While I'm sure some governors are going to do otherwise, I'd imagine that most governors aren't in a hurry to put "County"/"State"-level law enforcement in the middle of it if things get cranked up to "Completely Stupid..."

Astonishing Member

It's one thing for the red state Governors to kiss his ass and cozy up. But, its a whole other to invite the military to your streets to appease him and make him look good. That's all he cares about. He cleared out peaceful protestors around the White House so he could walk across the street to hold up a bible for a photo op.

It's hard, but not impossible, to rail against Obama being a power grabber while being for Trump using the military domestically against the wishes of the state for the first time ever. Even for the current brand of hypocrites.
    Dark does not mean deep.