Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Forgive me if this was already mentioned:

Far-right 'Moms for Liberty' listed as a hate group for first time

Moms for Liberty, the far-right parental group known for protesting at school board meetings, has been identified by the Southern Poverty Law Center as a "hate group" for the first time ever.

Moms for Liberty, which recently said it knows liberal groups are spying on its activities because it's doing the same thing to them, is among 12 parental groups added to the SPLC's list of hate groups, according to USA Today.
    Isn't it quite the coincidence that right wing groups like these that use "Liberty" or "Freedom" in their name are hellbent on curtailing liberty and freedom for anything or anyone they don't like?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

It should be noted the conservative-and not extremist at all-DeSantis will speak at the Moms for Liberty summit.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It should be noted the conservative-and not extremist at all-DeSantis will speak at the Moms for Liberty summit.
    He remains a man of no qualities.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Gooooooood morning everybody! It'll be a better day than before.

Pat Robertson, the religious broadcaster who turned a tiny station into the global Christian Broadcasting Network, tried a run for president and helped make religion central to Republican Party politics in America, has died. He was 93.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    I will read them in detail later, but I hope that there are examples showing parity with how widespread things have become in the GoP when I do. I will also find and link to individuals shown to be violent directly supported by prominent conservatives rather than a legal fund to help everyone involved. I did ask for funds made specifically for violent protestors after all, not ones for all of them which happen to include some who were violent. I believe there were many non-violent protestors who were arrested in those hectic days who needed legitimate assistance.
    I have had some issues finding direct links to these funds because it seems we missed some news on this thread: Jan. 6 rioters are raking in thousands in donations. Now the US is coming after their haul This report shows there is a good reason for the difficulty in finding these funds, and how Tucker Carlson used to shill for these people constantly on top of CPAC's support.

Now as for your Nazi Punching link, it was posted in 2017. Rather than the uptick in anti-facist conflict it predicted I haven't noticed any killings/riots/mass violence attributed to Antifa or people punching Nazis. Nor is there any evidecen that prominent Dems are campaigning on calling for (or encouraging) violence against Nazis or Facists. Please correct me if I'm wrong on these matters.

None of this compares to just the Anti-LGBT violence embraced by the GoP openly, and when you add in the White Supremecist and Anti-Goverment violence they've also embraced there should be no doubt that the GoP are embracing violence at all levels. I still don't see any evidence of such an overt embrace of violence from the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    What did I leave out?

And how am I posting in bad faith if I go out of my way to show your comments in their original context, so that someone else can determine if they agree with my interpretation?
    If you are only considering video, you were lying when you look at link #2. If you are considering any evidence that Ron DeSantis is a facist/despicable person/evidence no moderate should vote for him you avoided posting 3 posts to make it out like the board didn't respond. By either standard you lied again in an easily verifiable way. Then there's the multiple posts with you doing everything you can to avoid responding to it all, which continue to this day.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post6482609
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post6482782 -> Broken Link, fixed here to avoid claims of malicious editing.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post6483474

When you misrepresent the facts, avoid viewing/responding to evidence you asked for, and outright lie about the posters on this thread more than once . . . why should anyone trust anything you say?

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    There are PLENTY of specifics in the John Oliver piece. It's not just a "hit piece." Don't lie, Mets.
    Unless he's actually watched it, he's dismissing evidence without looking at it while asking for more . . . again. Once more, clearly not debating in good faith.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    And you know what? Something being a Hit Piece doesn't make it wrong, The Atlantic piece on Chris Licht was a hit piece of career ending proportions. It will also likely win awards for being great journalism.
    DeSantis was given every opportunity to respond, he chose not to. It doesn't change the selectively edited ads that John Oliver points out, or anything else he shows evidence for claiming.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    Yeah if stuff was pulled out of the butt then sure yeah, but there's actual facts provided.

I think the only thing that would be hearsay is the "thigh/thaifood" story, but disregarding his policies, that story should be enough to not want anything to do with the man.

But I suppose targeting the LGBTQIA+ community is okay because it doesn't affect you so you can just ignore it.
    Mets would rather complain about us than educate himself on this subject, because there's no logical way to excuse a "moderate" vote for DeSantis that doesn't by-definition become another GoP extremist when making the vote.

I hope he is seeing the biblical judgement he deserves.

I was hoping for Kissinger, but I'll take Robertson.

Astonishing Member

Supreme Court strikes down Alabama congressional map in victory for voting rights advocates

The Supreme Court on Thursday struck down Alabama’s congressional map, a surprise ruling that it likely violates the Voting Rights Act by diluting the power of Black voters.

In a 5-4 decision, the court affirmed a lower ruling that ordered the GOP-led state to create a new map with an additional majority-Black district.

Alabama’s map included one majority-Black district out of the state’s seven total districts, despite accounting for about 27 percent of the state’s population.

It marks a surprising shift for the Supreme Court, which last year signaled skepticism about striking down the map by putting the lower court’s ruling on hold in a 5-4 emergency decision as the justices considered the case more fully.
    Surprised actually. You know the disparity was bad if this Supreme Court decided to say ok stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Mets would rather complain about us than educate himself on this subject, because there's no logical way to excuse a "moderate" vote for DeSantis that doesn't by-definition become another GoP extremist when making the vote.
    The article I linked above is a blistering attack on DeSantis, but every statement is backed by journalism and links itself. I've posted it before.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Some unexpected good news:

The Supreme Court's final decision of the day is a 5–4 ruling that AFFIRMS the Voting Rights Act's protection against racial vote dilution! Roberts and Kavanaugh join the liberals. This is a HUGE surprise and a major voting rights victory.
    https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1666811655609810945

Edit: Kidfresh beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    DeSantis’ unchecked power in the state is reflected in his ability to bully that same legislature into a redistricting that removed traditionally Black voting blocs, despite the legislature preferring a more moderate plan.
    But clearly like with his anti-LGBTQ policies his racist redistricting and black voter suppression is no good reason why a "moderate" Republican shouldn't vote for him...

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Supreme Court strikes down Alabama congressional map in victory for voting rights advocates

Surprised actually. You know the disparity was bad if this Supreme Court decided to say ok stop it.
    But the GoP aren't extremists and racists just because they gerrymander in such a way as to remove black voting blocks, perish the thought.

Just a reminder, *this* is who DeSantis made the surgeon general of Florida because he had trouble finding someone who would back his masking and vaccine policies.

Donald Trump-aligned Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, whose state recorded more COVID-19 cases and deaths in August than it did in any month before vaccines became widely available, has appointed a new state surgeon general. Is it someone normal who will tell people to get vaccinated? No, you idiot! It’s a doctor named Joseph Ladapo who was last seen on the national stage participating in a COVID miracle cure event with another doctor who believes that lizard people control the government and that demons cause gynecological problems by implanting stolen sperm, as well as a third doctor who later got arrested for being part of the mob that smashed into the U.S. Capitol in an effort to overturn the presidential election.
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...nnections.html

There is no public evidence that Ladapo was involved in either the lawsuit or the Ivermectin operation uncovered by Time, but he has continued to write skeptically about vaccines and other mainstream anti-COVID efforts for the right-wing Wall Street Journal editorial page. After being introduced by DeSantis on Tuesday, Ladapo told reporters that there is “nothing special” about vaccines “compared to any other preventive measure.
    Another reminder:

4 million deaths worldwide are prevented by childhood vaccination every year. More than 50 million deaths can be prevented through immunization between 2021 and 2030. By 2030, it is estimated that: Measles vaccination can save nearly 19 million lives.Apr 20, 2023
    Last edited by Tendrin; 06-08-2023 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    . . . and on the drive home I listened to the NYC based News Radio station . . .
    Ah, but which one?
    There's more than one???
    For New York City news radio stations, there are two I know of on the AM band: WCBS 880 and WINS 1010. WINS also broadcasts over 92.3 FM. (Though these days I believe both 880 AM and 1010 AM are owned by the same company?)

My preference is for 880 AM; it's hard for me to take WINS seriously sometimes because of an old parody from Saturday Night Live where they turned the WINS slogan of "You give us 22 minutes, we'll give you the world!" into "You give us 22 minutes, we'll give you the time!"

Ultimate Member

Oh wow...

For the older heads here, Robertson was a pretty big name back in the day. He was always on TV in the 1980s.

I didn't agree with some of his beliefs but may he RIP.