Page 177 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 771271671731741751761771781791801811872272776771177 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,655 of 75153

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    92 and now couldn't be more different. Between cell phones getting footage of police BS and a divided country where most consider the otherside the root of all evil in the world. I am not sure if people would stop just on the threat of military violence. There are more than enough people willing to die for this and more than enough cameras that will show other potential protesters/rioters their end and a reason to take a stand.
    That's the upside I suppose ... with the amount of coverage plus social media if lines are crossed, it will be documented.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Isnt Blackwater technically a buisness and the government cant just shut it down for "reasons" despite how horrible they are ? Or is it more a case of "Yeah turns out all the contracts you had have been cancelled"
    Blackwater doesn't officially exist as a business anymore. They closed down several years ago, probably to avoid any lawsuits resulting from the awful **** they perpetrated in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Unrelated:
    The GOP propaganda machine makes it easy for people who don't actually consider themselves racist to still support the Republican party.
    One of their favorites is old "Bootstraps" myth. "Black people don't get anywhere because they don't work hard enough." This can also be twisted into, "The Democrats want to give welfare to black people which makes them dependent on the government". Another spin-off is "Democrats are the real racists because they respect black people enough to make them work harder to get ahead."
    There are several more ways to spin that narrative, but you get the idea. Honestly, Joseph Goebbels would be very impressed with the Republican party.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 06-02-2020 at 11:03 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    It's someone's live line their entire way of life, and with the corona lock down taking much of it away for a time it is even more challenging. That and if you participated in the PPP for there is now no way that you can hold up to the requirements and are now stuck holding that burden unless something changes in that.
    Yeah, the fact that all this is occurring during a Corona pandemic makes everything 100 times worse.

The victims of the looters were all probably already in financial peril due to the lockdown. And everyone from the protesters to the police to the first responders are putting themselves at risk with exposure. On top of everything else that's happening, hundreds will probably die from the virus because of all of this.

Between the riots and the pandemic and the threat of the military, it's like 3 horror movies all rolled up in one.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, the fact that all this is occurring during a Corona pandemic makes everything 100 times worse.

The victims of the looters were all probably already in financial peril due to the lockdown. And everyone from the protesters to the police to the first responders are putting themselves at risk with exposure. On top of everything else that's happening, hundreds will probably die from the virus because of all of this.

Between the riots and the pandemic and the threat of the military, it's like 3 horror movies all rolled up in one.
    And it's only June. Wait another month or so after summer arrives and the heat ramps up, that always brings out the crazy in people.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    While some spotlight had shown on who might be making a play at WGN a while back, I did come across this a few days ago. Not telling how it might actually play out.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...ihy-story.html
    Intresting. Given the situation with the Tribune trying to keep itself straight with the new owners, I would be happy to see WGN America do this. Locally I trust them more than other sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Not sure its possible to be completely unbiased. Human error and all that.

Plus, the first time they point out the orange menace lied, expect his cultists to accuse them of being "fake news".
    Ha, we've had that already on our radio shows and they're clicked off the air fast. Correct on Human error, but WGN has been pretty much independent for years, it's partly why the Sinclair deal didnt go though. We're way to independent than most stations. Let them try.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    by popularizing "fake news" trump is putting a spotlight on the freedom of information and how easy it is for us to filter our news results to make sure we are getting the information we want from the sources we want. with the internet and social media it is far easier today than 10 or more years ago. trump is using that freedom as a weapon, so now anyone can just scream fake news on either side. it's one of his prime manipulation tactics.

a news org saying trump lied is not groundbreaking. everything he says, does, and represents is a lie
    Exactly, which is why journalists need protection to be as honest as possible. We cant go back to yellow journalism and muckraking.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    And this is what I mean by consequences. This is a reckoning. This moment is for the “good” Americans who stayed silent and thought “nice” things while not being anti-racist. This is the consequence of middle class white people keeping African-Americans in a lower socioeconomic status. This is a consequence for the Democrats who made deals with the devil. This is a consequence of silence.
    You mean the Democrats that want to make changes but can't because of the people who they serve are idiots and they have to do what their constituents want. They have been trying for years. People do not change easily. You can thank Cromwell and the Protestans for that. And in some cases you have to make compromise to get what you want.

This is a consequence of slavery. This is a consequence of Jim Crow, and Segregation and assassinating Martin Luther King. This is a consequence not acting upon every time a black American was murdered by a cop. This is a consequence of underfunding public services and overfunding the military, the police and the spy agencies. This is a consequence of not paying reparations. This is a consequence of not treating your brothers and sisters as full human beings with dignity and respect. This is a consequence of treating them as three-fifths of a human being.
    So are you going to address the same issues happening in other countries as well for the indigenous communities and non whites who also have been murder by cops internationally ? This is not just that. It's also a long ass history of other factors as well coming into play here. Race is only a portion of it, it's also issues Of police unions. Well we'd be happy to pull out of the EU, are they willing to foot the bill?

This is a consequence of not listening to the unheard. I’ll bet you hear them now.[/QUOTE]

We've heard them for a long time, and those of use that try to do good and help tend to get ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by mogwen View Post
    Oooh! What a surprise!
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/twitter-t...230300318.html

White supremacist group poses as Antifa to incite violence on Twitter!
    Damn it to hell. KKK going to get up in here too aren't they. That's all we need.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    You're underestimating how much work has been put in to selling these lies, and how much dividend that work has paid out. Look at the 100 years people have spent rehabilitating the reputation of the Confederacy. Lies in speeches, lies in books, lies in movies, lies on statues, lies in TEXTBOOKS! All to sell the lies. Get them young, keep them in lies, drown them in the lies. That how they can point at something racist like the Civil War, say "that's not racist", and have people believe it. Our culture may be seeped in racism, but there's a massive effort to keep it that way while telling people it's not true. That's what I mean when I say propaganda gets into people's brain.
    Same as Japan and it's covering up of WWII and their past history on the civil war there. The reason for all of it is to make the South seem like less of aggressors. And let's be real here the Southern strategy worked well because of the fact that the Union did not help out to reform changes, and on that Grant and other Presidents did not follow up.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    Absolute nonsense. This seems to be implying that the Democratic Party is helpless and powerless in the face of a vast, right-wing propaganda machine. Which no doubt exists. But come on.
    A lot of the Right wing machines is owned by very wealthy people who have more money to buy up media and are able to sell these ideas. See the south and its whole idea of southern culture.

If this century-old conspiracy was so powerful then how did the Civil Rights Act pass? The Voting Rights Act? How did Barack Obama get elected?
    1. A **** ton of work and years and years of people who did change and see though what was happening and diversity happening in Congress. 2. Same thing there. 3. Younger generations growing up in a diverse world and voting for the person they believed could fix some of the issues.

Let’s not pretend that racism has only been killing people in the 21st century. I mean, Fox News has only been around for 23 years. Is it only then that white people became culpable for black disenfranchisement?
    No white people were culpable for years and people saw it though local news. And people have been calling it out, it's the issue of getting into a position that you can do something about it.

If it makes you feel better blaming the nefarious, shadowy GOP then go right ahead.

Complicity. Consequences.
    Theres more to it than that. No one has just been sittings on their heels, the issue is the courts and the congress. You have to get things fixed where theres not suppression.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

And now, profiles in courage from the GOP!

Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., on the president’s photo op at St. John’s last night: “Didn’t really see it.”
    Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C., doesn’t stop at cameras here on the Hill. Told reporters he’s already “said too much,” per @LACaldwellDC
    Sen. Steve Daines, R-Mont.: “I was grateful for the president’s leadership.” Says George Floyd was murdered but looting is not acceptable.
    Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, when asked if what we saw at the White House last night was an abuse of power: “By the protestors, yes.”
    Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La.: “I didn’t follow, I’m sorry.”

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Plus Rand Paul hasn't said anything in 5 days. From someone who tries to fly the libertarian banner, it's an even worse exercise in hypocrisy than from the rest of the GoP.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Gentrification is slowly creeping into black West Philly where I live. I infrequently get calls and postcards in the mail asking if I want to sell my house. Regarding the latter, some of those postcards actually had pictures of my place on them, something I found unnerving.
    That happens here where I live, too. It's just developers looking to tear down buildings and put up six condos in its place. For what it's worth, I live in the poorer part of pretty well to do white neighborhood and we get these from time to time. Including the google maps photos of the property on the card.

Trump's man of the year award in Michigan he likes to lie about appears to be real now.

Guess where it came from?

A KKK group.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Police shot directly at a German journalist with Deutsche Welle with rubber bullets during a live broadcast, but missed.

The German government is asking US authorities for an explanation.

Deutsche Welle is a government-funded public broadcaster, so this was basically an attack on a foreign government entity.

Here is video of the Foreign Minister Maas speaking, with English subtitles:
    https://twitter.com/marceldirsus/sta...01355764326400
    Last edited by CaptainEurope; 06-02-2020 at 12:10 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Gentrification is slowly creeping into black West Philly where I live. I infrequently get calls and postcards in the mail asking if I want to sell my house. Regarding the latter, some of those postcards actually had pictures of my place on them, something I found unnerving.
    I get calls and postcards.

Heck I get calls from groups begging for money. Blocked thier calls and one agreed to put the num ber on the do not call list. They still call.

One could not get off the phone fast enough when I start telling them off about all the harrassing call.

Astonishing Member

'Trying to stay alive': 70 protesters sheltered in stranger's home during D.C.'s curfew

A D.C. man says he sheltered about 70 protesters who were allegedly corralled and pepper-sprayed by police on Monday night in Northwest. The curfew in the District ended at 6 a.m., and the protesters left his home safely and peacefully.

Taylor, who was sheltering in Rahul Dubey's home all night, describes the moments leading up to entering his home. She says she felt like she was going to die.
    https://twitter.com/ABC7News/status/...546907137?s=20

This was really heartwarming really in a sea of bad news and awfulness. I hope they all stay safe

One political consideration right now is that sending in the military is quite popular with the public.

"Calling in the U.S. military to supplement city police forces":

Support 58%
    Oppose 30%

@MorningConsult National Poll
    The polls by the Morning Consult are generally considered reliable.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Anyway, why exactly is it that many systems out there, including police departments, have systemically grown to opposed and attack black people on sight more and more as if akin to a sponge soaking up liquid poison over time? There have been prior discussions on here that perhaps Nixon’s War in Drugs was partially responsible in noticeably increasing persecution to black people in America in the last 50 years, on the basis and false assumption of many black people being thugs in drug dealing gangs, but what other factors should be considered, as well as who aside from Trump should be held more responsible for fueling/fanning the flames of racism, antagonism, and targeting more?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    If the looting contineus, I find that stance believable. As afraid as I am of the proverbial genie being let out of the bottle I do think the rioting needs to stop one way or the other. If the police and National Guard can't do it, the military is basically your last option.

But HOPEFULLY things just quite down on their own. No one benefits from things escalating.