Page 154 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 541041441501511521531541551561571581642042546541154 ... LastLast
Results 2,296 to 2,310 of 75153
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I don't condone a police officer macing a child at all. That's horrible.

Though at the same time I question bringing children into a situation like this in the first place. Unless a child getting pepper sprayed was exactly the outcome they wanted from bringing a child into a situation like this. But that's probably over thinking it.

Hope the kid is okay though. Pepper spray is no joke.
    Apparently it started out peaceful and only later turned into a riot. But in any case, I’m pretty certain a child shouldn’t have to be pepper sprayed at all, and shows another case of irresponsibility from the cops.

“The United States of America will be designating ANTIFA as a Terrorist Organization.” - https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonal...29644228247552

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    “The United States of America will be designating ANTIFA as a Terrorist Organization.” - https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonal...29644228247552
    Someone pointed this out that everyone should think about.

So what scares me about this is that there isn’t some ANTIFA org that if you’re a member of they’ll come for you. Any dissenters will be accused of being ANTIFA and then persued and prosecuted as terrorists thereby allowing conservatives to take out those they deem a problem.

Extraordinary Member

Oh thank god, that will solve everything

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    I’m sure that by most peoples’ reckoning, they wouldn’t classify ANTIFA as an organization. Trump seems to be condemning a social movement that started out with a good intention as having later lost its way. If that’s the case, then he shouldn’t be surprised if someone speaks of police departments as having lost their way as well.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 05-31-2020 at 01:24 PM.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

I’m sure that by most peoples’ reckoning, they wouldn’t ANTIFA an organization. Trump seems to be condemning a social movement that started out with a good intention as having later lost its way. If that’s the case, then he shouldn’t be surprised if someone speaks of police departments as having lost their way as well.
    Meanwhile, a good portion of his base have been responsible for actual acts of domestic terrorism in the past decade, but he's not going to dare upset the apple cart if he wants to be reelected. So, he's just gonna feed them pablum, like usual.

I don't care much for Antifa, but the fact that he assumes they're terrorists while acting like his own base doesn't have any problems just further highlights Trump's history of racial relations. Then again, this man 30 years ago demanded the death penalty be brought back in New York and spent money on newspaper ads demanding it on the court of public opinion.

"Social justice and progress are the absolute guarantors of riot prevention." - MLK
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Spectacular Member Maine Starfish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Well, as a non white person that organized dozens of protests back in my college days I have no problem telling other people NOT to burn buildings down while a lawful peaceful protest is happening.

And no ones suprised that this is happening... but that doesn't make it any less tragic. You have people turning violent and destroying their OWN neighborhood, including many local minority owned business, while priveleged white people get to watch it transpire on the television from the safety of their homes. Good luck getting white people to learn consequences from that particular formula.

And again, I think it's fair to bring up the fact that this is in the middle of a pandemic. If this is really about lives, that's something people need to consider too. A lot of people could get infected and die from this. And that just as valid a concern as someone dying from a corrupt police officer. You're talking about property versus lives... but what about lives versus lives? I'm not entirely okay with trading one death for another. Others are and that's fine... but it's at least something we shouldn't completely be overlooking.
    I’m not telling people to burn down buildings though.

And I have no idea if people are destroying their own neighborhoods, for all I know the looting and rioting is the result of people from outside of the neighborhood. I’m not going to condemn the entire protest just because some people decide to steal some video games and burn some buildings. Again people’s lives are more important, that’s the most important part here, that police stop killing people. Everything else is secondary. I’m well aware we’re in the middle of a pandemic, that hasn’t stopped police from killing black people without consequence.

Antifa being made terrorists is hideously dangerous territory. They have no organisation, no identifier, no leader. If someone claims their Anti-fa they may well have peaceful intentions in mind.

Some have referred to it as "Lazy Reichstag Fire". Plus the awful optics of "The group called anti-facists are terrorists, brought to you by a racist widely considered to be supportive of white supremacists"

Also theres no actual way to prove Antifa have been involved.

One thing that is really bothering me. The governors, the mayors, the police, they are all saying the riots need to stop. That is fine the riots do need to stop. But none of these leaders is talking about what comes next. None of them are asking how do we keep this from happening again.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Maine Starfish View Post
    I’m not telling people to burn down buildings though.

And I have no idea if people are destroying their own neighborhoods, for all I know the looting and rioting is the result of people from outside of the neighborhood. I’m not going to condemn the entire protest just because some people decide to steal some video games and burn some buildings. Again people’s lives are more important, that’s the most important part here, that police stop killing people. Everything else is secondary. I’m well aware we’re in the middle of a pandemic, that hasn’t stopped police from killing black people without consequence.
    I'm not saying that you're telling people to burn down buildings. I'm just saying I feel more than justified to tell others that they shouldn't be doing that.

And I agree an entire protest shouldn't be condemned for the stupid actions of a bunch of criminals who decide to use this as cover to commit crimes. I think that's the heart of the problem for me. The entire movement gets hurt because of this sort of behavior. Your ability to protest lawfully and peacefully is compromised when a bunch of idiots hijack the thing for their own selfish reasons. It hurts the people who care enough about the matter to do it in an intelligent manner, and that possibly ticks me off the most.

And yes, peoples lives are important (though I don't think you can entirely dismiss the innocent people who have lost their business and livehoods over these riots... that's important too). But again, that raises the question about protesting in a pandemic where you're potentially risking hundreds of lives. So it's not just an issue of prioritizing property over lives... it's a question of prioritizing lives lost by corrupt police officers over lives lost from getting the coronovirus. Or are those lives secondary too?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Antifa being made terrorists is hideously dangerous territory. They have no organisation, no identifier, no leader. If someone claims their Anti-fa they may well have peaceful intentions in mind.

Some have referred to it as "Lazy Reichstag Fire". Plus the awful optics of "The group called anti-facists are terrorists, brought to you by a racist widely considered to be supportive of white supremacists"

Also theres no actual way to prove Antifa have been involved.
    Or since Donnie only has like 50 words/expressions cycling around what he calls a brain, and witch hunt is one of them, might as well start one himself now.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I agree with that. He did bring a lot of attention to his cause. But sadly most of it was negative because of how he protested and sadly that took a lot away from his message which is a very important one. People chose to focus on the wrong thing, I think the backlash he got for it was insane. No one black, white, Latino etc.. Dem or Republican man or woman should be abused and punished for holding a peaceful protest that hurt no one.
    I'm not sure that's true. In my opinion ALL the negativity it got came from the same people who wouldn't appreciate any form of protest, on that matter, in any scenario.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I'm not sure that's true. In my opinion ALL the negativity it got came from the same people who wouldn't appreciate any form of protest, on that matter, in any scenario.
    I think both are true.

I think some people were genuinely offended that the national anthem was the vehicle being used to make his protest. And I think some genuiely disliked football being politicized the way it was.

But I also agree there's a block of people who woudln't appreciate the message regardless of how the messenger gave it.

It's all of the above.

“We need real police department reform. Every police officer involved in a killing must be held accountable, and those found guilty must be punished with the full force of the law. Every killing of a person held in police custody must be investigated by the Department of Justice.” - https://mobile.twitter.com/BernieSan...02628959821827