Page 364 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 2643143543603613623633643653663673683744144648641364 ... LastLast
Results 5,446 to 5,460 of 75153

Looks like the nickname Benedict Donald is starting to get some traction.

Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    The digging up of past tweets, articles, interviews etc where a bad opinion was expressed is sort of getting out of hand.

The idea that you are not allowed to grow, and move on from past transgressions, or bad opinions is ridiculous. Especially when these bad opinions aren't out of line with the common opinion at the time.

Context is important. You can't expect George Washington to be Woke.
    Well, when Fox News et al apologizes for going after the (Dixie) Chicks then I’m prepared to listen about why it’s wrong for a business executive to resign for saying that women are precious petals to be protected by manly men. I’m pretty sure sexism wasn’t cool in 80s either.

Also, George Washington was a jerk. Read Charles M. Blow in the times to understand how horrific slavery was.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    The digging up of past tweets, articles, interviews etc where a bad opinion was expressed is sort of getting out of hand.

The idea that you are not allowed to grow, and move on from past transgressions, or bad opinions is ridiculous. Especially when these bad opinions aren't out of line with the common opinion at the time.

Context is important. You can't expect George Washington to be Woke.
    Some of those are people looking for attention and payback for whatever.

I mean it is getting out of hand.

And in Texas we are now required to wear masks in public buildings and outside gathering. They just sent a text. Getting ready to see the snowflakes go off.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Looks like the nickname Benedict Donald is starting to get some traction.

That handle fits him so very well.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    Well, when Fox News et al apologizes for going after the (Dixie) Chicks then I’m prepared to listen about why it’s wrong for a business executive to resign for saying that women are precious petals to be protected by manly men. I’m pretty sure sexism wasn’t cool in 80s either.

Also, George Washington was a jerk. Read Charles M. Blow in the times to understand how horrific slavery was.
    There's several category errors here.

While sexism wasn't cool in the 1980s, the view that American military policy should be changed in order to allow women to serve in combat roles, was not an overwhelmingly popular one.

If you believe that Fox News did something wrong, it would be wrong for liberals to do something similar in the past.

The Fox News people were criticizing the Dixie Chicks for something they had said contemporaneously. Whatever the merits of the argument, it's not the equivalent of going after someone for things said decades earlier.

A communications chief at an aerospace company isn't going to be subject to karma based on something Fox News did in the 2000s.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Kimberly Guifoyle, a top fundraising official in the Trump campaign, and girlfriend to Donald Trump Jr, tested positive for COVID-19.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/03/u...ronavirus.html

Kimberly Guilfoyle, the girlfriend of President Trump’s eldest son and a top fund-raising official for the Trump re-election campaign, tested positive for the coronavirus on Friday before a Fourth of July event at Mount Rushmore, a person familiar with her condition said.

Ms. Guilfoyle traveled to South Dakota with Mr. Trump’s son Donald Trump Jr., in anticipation of attending a huge fireworks display where the president was set to speak. They did not travel aboard Air Force One, according to the person familiar with her condition, and she was the only person in the group who tested positive.

As a routine precaution, people who come in close contact with Mr. Trump are screened for the virus.

Ms. Guilfoyle is the third person in possible proximity to Mr. Trump known to have contracted the virus. A personal valet who served Mr. Trump his food and the press secretary for Vice President Mike Pence tested positive for the virus in May.

Ms. Guilfoyle was not experiencing symptoms, the person familiar with her condition said. She and the younger Mr. Trump never met up with the president’s entourage, the person said. Out of caution, the couple plans to drive back from South Dakota to the East Coast, the person said.

Still, that another person who was expected to be near Mr. Trump tested positive — and someone who most staff aides consider a member of the Trump family — is likely to renew attention around potential risks to the president.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

“Our nation is witnessing a merciless campaign to wipe out our history, defame our heroes, erase our values, and indoctrinate our children.” from Trump’s prepared remarks at Mount Rushmore
    Twitter Link

And Trump doesn't even see what is so wrong with what he said, does he? Or maybe he does and doesn't care.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post

My point is you can’t hold people’s societal views from the past to the standards of today.

As Mets correctly pointed out, women in the military was not a popular opinion at the time. It’s hardly surprising he held that view then. He didn’t own slaves. He didn’t abuse children. He had an an opinion that isn’t well regarded now. Is he not allowed to grow, have been wrong, and move forward in life because of that? We’ve all said some dumb **** in the past. Be thankful yours wasn’t printed.

George Washington might have been a jerk by today’s standards, but he hardly was by the standards of when he lived. That’s all I’m saying. Slavery is obviously terrible. No argument here.

Former Evangelical lays out the problems with Trump's core supporters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I did more sleuthing, Frontier appears to be a right-wing rag that even the local right-wing rags despise.

That aside ...

That's one opinion versus several hundred different ones. And the majority of them thought COVID was a liberal hoax 2 months ago. Clearly, they have woken up to the reality that people are getting sick and dying.

So, what is your point? IS Frontier the ONLY source that matters here? I am confused; help me out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    His main point was that the idea that 100% of those tested for Coronavirus in a state ended up testing positive is bs according to one person he considers to be an expert.

There have been others who noted an alternative explanation for those results, including Chris Hayes (quoted earlier) and the web article everyone's citing, which now includes a correction (and was smart enough to put the correction in the headline.)

https://www.politicususa.com/2020/06...lsa-rally.html
    Mets is sort of on the right track.

To me, it's just odd that a guy who is a reporter for the local ABC affiliate and (what might be)the local right-leaning outfit point out the suspect nature of the numbers while it seems no one from a national outfit even thought to second guess a number like that.

Never mind getting in touch with any local press to question that sort of number.

Never mind running a second piece once you have screwed it up to try to get the bottom of what the actual number might look like.

While Hayes usually seem to be fairly above board, just sneaking in a correcting and leaving it there feels like an issue when the numbers could still be pretty high.

Could be he might circle back around to covering whatever is actually going on. As of right now, doesn't really feel that way.

Astonishing Member

There's several category errors here.

While sexism wasn't cool in the 1980s, the view that American military policy should be changed in order to allow women to serve in combat roles, was not an overwhelmingly popular one.
    Sexism was enormous in the 80s. You couldn't see a movie or tv show without something being sexist in it. That stance being popular is an example of sexism being wide spread.

If you believe that Fox News did something wrong, it would be wrong for liberals to do something similar in the past.
    What? This reeks of whataboutism.

The Fox News people were criticizing the Dixie Chicks for something they had said contemporaneously. Whatever the merits of the argument, it's not the equivalent of going after someone for things said decades earlier.
    There are no merits for their argument, saying this shouldn't be career ending.

A communications chief at an aerospace company isn't going to be subject to karma based on something Fox News did in the 2000s.
    News networks should apologise for doing horrible things, Fox News destroying the Dixie Chicks being one of them. They've for a long list to make up for, remember when Rush Limbaugh called Chelsea Clinton a dog when she as 13?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ru...elsea-clinton/

Limbaugh truly did once refer to young Chelsea as a dog.

When we attempted to track down the origins of this claim we came across two examples of Limbaugh making such a reference. The first was a viral quote: “Socks is the White House cat. But did you know there is also a White House dog?” – Rush Limbaugh, holding a pic of 13-year-old Chelsea Clinton on TV, 1993.”
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 07-04-2020 at 12:02 AM.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Trump's new campaign promise is building a stature for Antonin Scalia.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

I have a gut feeling that he realized people had started digging so he decided to quit over this somewhat minor thing before people find the essay about, say, having sex with underage platypuses.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

This sounds big:

France's ex-prime minister Edouard Philippe is being investigated by a French top court over his management of the COVID-19 crisis.

The announcement came just hours after he resigned from his post to become Le Havre's mayor following last week's municipal elections.

He is accused of "failing to fight disaster" in a case opened by the Court of Justice of the Republic (CJR), the only French court that can judge government members over their actions while in office.

Philippe could face up to two years in prison plus fines, if he is convicted.
    https://www.euronews.com/2020/07/04/...risis-handling

I hadn't considered the French response so bad (from the American perspective it looked pretty spot-on), but I remember early on, before I had even heard the word covid-19, one of my instagram friends, an Italian in France, was very angry at the French government because he had relatives dying in Italy and felt France was dragging her feet.

Hillary was right!

Following years of lobbying, skulls of 24 Algerian Freedom fighters have arrived in Algeria from France today.
    The men were decapitated as they fought against French Colonial occupation, their heads taken to France as a sign of victory and later kept at the Museum of Man.
    https://twitter.com/samirasawlani/st...54514432532482

Hillary was right!