I always found weird, and rather naive, the idea that to have weapons at home is going to help you in any way if some tyrannical government wanted to mess you up.

Anyway, what a tragedy once again.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I actually didn’t mention the term “transphobia”.

But definition of various phobias can imply hatred as well as fear.

But if you believe that it does imply just irrational fear (rather than hatred): then why donÂ’t you have sympathy for some one with an irrational fear?
    I don't think it means just fear, only that the hate comes from a state of fear and ignorance. It's like they used to say in X-men: People fear what they don't understand.

That part I get, the fear of the unknown is some kind of primal fear that has allowed us as a species to survive. But in today's society, ignorance about subjects that have been studied extensively is a choice. If you want, you can find all sorts of information in scientific literature or on the internet.

Still, there is no reason why we should keep accommodating these people when they have no rational explanation for their fears. This wouldn't be widely accepted with any other group of people. Imagine someone keep having a platform if they constantly posted anti-black or anti-muslim content. (And to be honest here, I for example consider fear of muslims to be rational, considering how much violence some of them have inflicted in western countries. But I doubt I would have much luck if I kept making "jokes" about it or kept doubling down on fearmongering about them like Rowling does, though that would be more out of genuine fear of retribution than of keeping it PC.)

To answer your question, I don't have sympathy with someone who is villingly causing others harm, no matter what their beliefs are or why they have them. And since both Chappelle and Rowling have been informed many times how dangerous their rhetoric is, I consider them as villingly causing harm.
    Last edited by Catlady in training; 05-26-2022 at 10:08 AM.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    The Moonies. It had to be the fucking Moonies. Did you know they own the Washington Times?

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    I always found weird, and rather naive, the idea that to have weapons at home is going to help you in any way if some tyrannical government wanted to mess you up.

But that hasn't deterred many a backwoods militia from forming under the fears that the commie libs will take everything away.

Hell, I still find it puzzling how a gun will keep you safe in a house given it would require optimal circumstances for it to be effective and there's way too much variables that could **** that up.

But given how we have seen Supreme Court cases like Castle Rock v. Gonzales and DeShaney v. Winnebago that have verified the general uselessness of police, I can understand the appeal of that kind of protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    If I cross the road without looking on the left and on the right, the odds are that the cars will still stop or avoid me.
    Nevertheless it doesn’t mean I will do it.
    You've never tried to cross the street in New York City, have you?

A thought just occurred to me, and I wonder if this argument has ever been made. Say you believe that the 2nd amendment says you have the right to bear arms means you have the right to own guns. It in no way says what kind of guns you have the right to own. If we were to ban the sale of any kind of assault rifle like the AR-15, and somebody sues, saying 'you can't impede my 2nd amendment rights!', couldn't we just say 'Hey, you have the right to own a hunting rifle, or a shotgun, or a handgun. Ergo, you can still bear your arms. You just can't bear THESE arms.'

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Hundreds gather at church for blessing ceremony featuring AR-15s

Moon is the son of the late Rev. Sun Myung Moon, a self-proclaimed messiah who founded the Unification Church, which critics regard as a cult. The younger Moon's congregation is a breakaway faction of the Unification Church, which had distanced itself from Wednesday's event.
    Nuttier than a nut farm.
    Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    The Moonies. It had to be the fucking Moonies. Did you know they own the Washington Times?
    So, not so unified then?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Indeed. What would stop said tyrannical government from poking the barrel of an M-60 Abrams tank through your living room window, or dropping a smart bomb down your chimney from three miles up?

By the by, here’s another ridiculous argument from right wingers, conservatives and Qpublicans: they all whine that banning assault rifles won’t stop people from getting their hands on them, yet they think that banning abortion would end the practice. Makes no sense.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Joe Garcia, the husband of Irma Garcia, one of two teachers shot and killed in Uvalde, TX on Tuesday, has reportedly suffered a fatal heart attack. Joe and Irma were high school sweethearts and married 24 years. They leave behind four children.

Wow that is absolutely awful.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Joe Garcia, the husband of Irma Garcia, one of two teachers shot and killed in Uvalde, TX on Tuesday, has reportedly suffered a fatal heart attack. Joe and Irma were high school sweethearts and married 24 years. They leave behind four children.

I just heard about that. How terribly sad.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post

It is. The Republican Party doesn't care.

https://apnews.com/article/uvalde-sc...1d604db3edf211

Senate GOP blocks domestic terrorism bill, gun policy debate

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    It is. The Republican Party doesn't care.

https://apnews.com/article/uvalde-sc...1d604db3edf211

Senate GOP blocks domestic terrorism bill, gun policy debate
    Well people wanted Democrats to keep pushing this and here is the result. As long as there is the understanding that Democrats ARE constantly trying to do something to deal with the issue. GOP won't even debate it.

Mighty Member

Soundly “beating” this hypothetical tyrannical government (which as you and others here rightfully point out will more likely than not have the clear edge in the form of a functioning modern military) might not be so much the idea as putting up a considerable enough resistance to make said government rethink whether it’s worth dedicating the effort and resources to cowing their own citizens just to get their “new order” in place.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 05-26-2022 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    You've never tried to cross the street in New York City, have you?
    No, but the vehicles on the main straight road near my house are quite fast…

Like someone said in the movie “Deepwater”: “hope is not a strategy”.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Soundly “beating” this hypothetical tyrannical government (which as you and others here rightfully point out will more likely than not have the clear edge in the form of a functioning modern military) might not be so much the idea as putting up a considerable enough resistance to make said government rethink whether it’s worth dedicating the effort and resources to cowing their own citizens just to get their “new order” in place.
    Like the government would care. We have a party that actively supports terrorism on its own government and wants to elect the man behind back to office. They are taking the rights away from woman and minorities and are fun with our children being gunned down at school for so they can keep money and power.

Do you really think that the government would care if they had to kill off some nut jobs who have seen to many Die Hard movies? They would roll over them laugh and keep going. And if a few soldiers were killed by these guys? Who cares. Way way more to replace them.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

More often then then saving the family from an intruder, you always read cases in the newspaper how most of the time that gun ends up being used in a situation of domestic violence. Someone shoots their spouse or some other relative. Even worse is when someone kills their spouse and children before turning the gun on themselves. There was a tragic local case where a father thought it was a good idea to show his small children his gun while warning them never to play with it. He thought it wasn't loaded and pointed the gun in the direction of his 9 year old daughter and pulled the trigger. He was wrong and she was killed by a shot to the head.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-26-2022 at 02:11 PM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Been reading on the utter incompetence of Uvalde police department. They'll need to be completely dissolved. How can they stand around at the scene doing nothing while a madman is in there killing children and arresting the parents who want to save them?