Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Florida Republicans turn school elections into new political battlegrounds

This is another one of those long term goal items the GOP does well. They have been targeting local school boards, and elections related boards etc. To fundamentally start shaping school curriculum and policies to match the national rhetoric.

Not sure what the solution would be except more Democrats start running for these as well. If GOP go at this like they have with the same zeal of appointing conservatives to all levels of court system....
    Honestly, Democrats should focus on school board elections, and getting elected to positions where they can influence curricula.

That's probably the best resolution to the question.

One potential problem for Democrats is they may have a tough time winning school board races. Some of what they want is really unpopular, although curiously exit polls in 2020 suggested Biden did slightly better with parents than with people who had no kids, so it should be possible for sane people to win.

https://www.cnn.com/election/2020/ex...tional-results

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    So when it comes to gun control, the Left is reduced to arguing for something that might become law, but really wouldn't accomplish anything, or argue for something that would accomplish something significant, but will never get enough votes in Congress to be passed. We're all doomed.
    It's messy. As a further complication, any time there's any hint of restrictions, gun sales go up, which means an increase in the supply of guns.

Another issue is that one relatively rare type of death gets so much more publicity and focus than the majority of gun violence. There are essentially four types of gun violence. The most common is suicide. Then we've got career criminals. Then we've got violent assholes (the guys who commit domestic violence and/ or take guns out in barfights.) Finally, we have organized mass shooters.

There will be different policy answers for these problems.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Honestly, Democrats should focus on school board elections, and getting elected to positions where they can influence curricula.

That's probably the best resolution to the question.

One potential problem for Democrats is they may have a tough time winning school board races. Some of what they want is really unpopular, although curiously exit polls in 2020 suggested Biden did slightly better with parents than with people who had no kids, so it should be possible for sane people to win.

https://www.cnn.com/election/2020/ex...tional-results

No what the GOP lie about and say Democrats want and or are teaching is unpopular. CRT in math books, or lying about "grooming" kids with LGBT "agenda". That is all fake fearmongering ,as we all know, pushed by the GOP as an issue. That is not to say it isn't working for them as a made up issue echoed in right wing media. They just say CRT over and over again, and keep saying the gays are converting their kids instead of teaching the alphabet and it does work for some.
    Last edited by kidfresh512; 06-27-2022 at 10:52 AM.

About this "why didn't the Dems codify Roe BS. First nothing would stop this Court from declaring any such act of Congress unconstitutional. So it's really a nonissue. Second;

Debunking the Myth: Obama's Two-Year Supermajority

[QUOTE]The President's cause was helped in April when Pennsylvania's Republican Senator Arlen Specter switched parties.

That gave the President 59 votes -- still a vote shy of the super majority.

But one month later, Democratic Senator Byrd of West Virginia was hospitalized and was basically out of commission.

So while the President's number on paper was 59 Senators -- he was really working with just 58 Senators.

Then in July, Minnesota Senator Al Franken was finally sworn in, giving President Obama the magic 60 -- but only in theory, because Senator Byrd was still out.

In August, Senator Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts died and the number went back down to 59 again until Paul Kirk temporarily filled Kennedy's seat in September.

Any pretense of a supermajority ended on February 4, 2010 when Republican Scott Brown was sworn into the seat Senator Kennedy once held.Do you see a two-year supermajority?

I didn't think so.[QUOTE]

And that majority included some Democrats that would not have voted to codify Roe over a filibuster. And it was a supermajority in name only, and only for 4 months at that. But keep blaming the Democrats for crap the GOP is responsible for.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Even when something is popular the GOP still wont let it be taught if they dont agree with it.

Here in Ohio. Fairfield High School has had Diversity for the last 3 years. But this year it was postponed and then cancelled. Not just for the year but cancelled for future years. it will not happen in school.

The also passed that teaching about Gender, race, and social economic discrimination is not allowed, it did not happen and does not happen in their view.

They passed these despite most of the parents in the district being in favor Diversity day and teaching about Discrimination the school board still rejected it. And they are in the process of hiring a Superintendent for the school district but only one who will up hold these bans.

So the GOP "We want the parents to decide what our schools teach their kids." That is full of ****.
    Last edited by babyblob; 06-27-2022 at 08:57 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Another thought, these Justices aren't "originalists" they are Confederate. The think State's Rights take precident over Federal Law and that the State's should decide what is constitutional.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The SC does more to knock down the wall for separation of Church and State. Ruling in favor of the coach that prayed on the field before football games.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/27/polit...2026%2C%202022.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Even when something is popular the GOP still wont let it be taught if they dont agree with it.

Here in Ohio. Fairfield High School has had Diversity for the last 3 years. But this year it was postponed and then cancelled. Not just for the year but cancelled for future years. it will not happen in school.

The also passed that teaching about Gender, race, and social economic discrimination is not allowed, it did not happen and does not happen in their view.

They passed these despite most of the parents in the district being in favor Diversity day and teaching about Discrimination the school board still rejected it. And they are in the process of hiring a Superintendent for the school district but only one who will up hold these bans.

So the GOP "We want the parents to decide what our schools teach their kids." That is full of ****.
    As with masks in schools, the reason this keeps happening is because the Republicans successfully whip up their base do anything to get it. It doesn't matter if 90% of the parents want it when the 10% doesn't tells the board members they know where they live.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    As with masks in schools, the reason this keeps happening is because the Republicans successfully whip up their base do anything to get it. It doesn't matter if 90% of the parents want it when the 10% doesn't tells the board members they know where they live.
    This coach and others will now ask players "who want to" come and pray with him. And that puts no pressure on the kids that need him to keep them in the game, does it?

It is hard to say what decision will do the most damage to this country, but the cumulative affect will be a downward spiral into Christo-fascism.

Astonishing Member

The SC does more to knock down the wall for separation of Church and State. Ruling in favor of the coach that prayed on the field before football games.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/27/polit...2026%2C%202022.
    The only thing that irks me about it is "insisted on audible prayers at the 50-yard line with students ... (and) announced in the press that those prayers are how he helps these kids be better people.". And my issue would be what if some of them didn't want to do it? As long as any that didn't want to do it could opt out or didn't feel uncomfortable I guess its a wash.

But, I have been on the receiving end of what "conservative teacher" expected in terms of standing for the pledge for example. She expected it and I never had an issue with it until one day I was behind on homework and had to continue finishing it up for my next class instead of standing for the pledge. And she got livid. Grabbed me, yelled, talked about my upbringing and questioned my church habits. It was insane. And after that I never stood again out of principal.

I say all that because I don't think children should be FORCED to participate. Or made to think they aren't "good people". Unless its a private "religious school" and those were the rules their parents signed up for and pay them for of course.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

[QUOTE=Kirby101;6098305]About this "why didn't the Dems codify Roe BS. First nothing would stop this Court from declaring any such act of Congress unconstitutional. So it's really a nonissue. Second;

Debunking the Myth: Obama's Two-Year Supermajority

[QUOTE]The President's cause was helped in April when Pennsylvania's Republican Senator Arlen Specter switched parties.

That gave the President 59 votes -- still a vote shy of the super majority.

But one month later, Democratic Senator Byrd of West Virginia was hospitalized and was basically out of commission.

So while the President's number on paper was 59 Senators -- he was really working with just 58 Senators.

Then in July, Minnesota Senator Al Franken was finally sworn in, giving President Obama the magic 60 -- but only in theory, because Senator Byrd was still out.

In August, Senator Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts died and the number went back down to 59 again until Paul Kirk temporarily filled Kennedy's seat in September.

Any pretense of a supermajority ended on February 4, 2010 when Republican Scott Brown was sworn into the seat Senator Kennedy once held.Do you see a two-year supermajority?

I didn't think so.

And that majority included some Democrats that would not have voted to codify Roe over a filibuster. And it was a supermajority in name only, and only for 4 months at that. But keep blaming the Democrats for crap the GOP is responsible for.
    And, unless I’m mistaken, codifying Roe wasn’t going to happen after Biden took over mainly because of Manchin and Sinema.

Meanwhile, there’s boatloads of self-righteous pro-lifers who, while popping their jerseys over the repeal of Roe, are saying that if women want to avoid getting pregnant, all they have to do is choose to say no, or, to quote crude language used on Twitter, keep their legs closed. That’s all well and good, but, what about women who, through no fault of their own are raped, or 12 year old girls who are sexually assaulted? What choices did they have? And if rape victims or sodomized kids are forced to bring babies into this world to satisfy sanctimonious right wingers and bible thumpers, will those groups be happy to see their tax dollars used to feed, clothe, house, educate and keep said infants healthy while providing much needed services to those reluctant mothers? I think we all know that answer to that question which can be best summed up by this legendary line from a George Carlin rant:

“If you’re pre-birth, you’re fine. If you’re pre-school, you’re fucked!”
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 06-27-2022 at 09:27 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Even more ways the GOP is two faced. After the SC made their ruling and Celbs in Hollywood speaking out against it they were all

"They need to shut up. They are paid to act not push our views."

But they wont stop showing that Kevin Sorbo Tweet Life Wins and talked too him about how great this is. I thought Hollywood needs to shut up and stay out of it?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    It... it was a pat on this back.
    Again, see that "pat on the back" from some mouth-breather wearing a MAGA hat on Pelosi or Hillary and let's see how easy it is to laugh off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Let's agree the guy should not have touched him. Do you agree it is Felony Assault as Rudy and many on the Right are saying?
    Of course not. But it is wrong, and it hands the right a minor victory in that it's a story Fox can run with every hour on their news cycle that isn't devoted to the repeal of Roe vs Wade or any of the other Supreme Court decisions. It's the sort of thing a reasonable middle of the road person can look at and say, "yeah that was a a bad thing that person did" and again distract from the very important real conversation we should be having.

Is there a cynical and wrong part of me that would like to see horrible things happen to Trump or the Justices who made this decision? Sure, I'm a flawed human being. But I also know it's wrong, so like road rage or momentary irritation I might encounter in my day I let that anger come and then I let it go. I don't defend it when I see someone who's not able to do that in real life, and I don't laugh it off.

Because I know there are a lot of folks who would like to do that to Biden/Bernie/Hillary/Pelosi/etc. Heck, there was just a story I responded to on the board about a Republican politician assaulting his Democratic rival. That's where we are in the country. We don't want to do anything to further legitimize or minimize the impact of that. When you blur the line it makes it much easier for some a##hole to cross it. And, sympathies with his intent or no, this guy fits that bill.

Astonishing Member

It looks like we are going to get screwed. This administration has done zilch to motivate their voters.

More than 1 million voters switch to GOP in warning for Dems

A political shift is beginning to take hold across the U.S. as tens of thousands of suburban swing voters who helped fuel the Democratic Party's gains in recent years are becoming Republicans.

More than 1 million voters across 43 states have switched to the Republican Party over the last year, according to voter registration data analyzed by The Associated Press. The previously unreported number reflects a phenomenon that is playing out in virtually every region of the country — Democratic and Republican states along with cities and small towns — in the period since President Joe Biden replaced former President Donald Trump.

But nowhere is the shift more pronounced — and dangerous for Democrats — than in the suburbs, where well-educated swing voters who turned against Trump's Republican Party in recent years appear to be swinging back. Over the last year, far more people are switching to the GOP across suburban counties from Denver to Atlanta and Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Republicans also gained ground in counties around medium-size cities such as Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; Raleigh, North Carolina; Augusta, Georgia; and Des Moines, Iowa.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    It looks like we are going to get screwed. This administration has done zilch to motivate their voters.

More than 1 million voters switch to GOP in warning for Dems
    yea that tv show Outnumbers on Fox is right now crowing about this. And going on and on about how they are the wave of the future.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Even more ways the GOP is two faced. After the SC made their ruling and Celbs in Hollywood speaking out against it they were all

"They need to shut up. They are paid to act not push our views."

But they wont stop showing that Kevin Sorbo Tweet Life Wins and talked too him about how great this is. I thought Hollywood needs to shut up and stay out of it?
    Silly goose. That only counts when actors say stuff the GQP doesn’t like, otherwise, it’s open mike night for trolls like Sorbo, Scott Baio and James Woods.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!