Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electi...United_States)

That is how 1st Tuesday of November became a tradition. It all began when America was still an agricultural country. Besides Sunday is the day when many voters attend church. Many people, including me, don't attend church mass on Sundays. But there is still a lot of people, including many Democrats, who attend church on Sundays, so why move the election day to Sunday that would conflict with their churchgoing schedule unless you want to prevent the evangelical Republicans from voting.
    As tempting as that is, many pastors now actively preach conservative Fox News culture wars crap and would urge their flocks to skip church and hit the polls to stop the heathen abortion approving lgbtq loving Dems from gaining power and doing Satan's work on earth.
    And I really wish I was kidding, but I'm pretty sure I'm not that far off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    On Bernie, I agree with him on most things and see myself as very progressive. But I see the country as not. I do not think he can get enough support from the whole country to win the Presidency. And even if he did, he would not get enough of Congress to pass his agenda. This is more an condemnation of many of the voters here than of where Bernie sounds. It's about realpolitics rather than policy.
    I voted for Warren in 2020
    Yes, as much as I hate to admit it, we progressives unfortunately are indeed outnumbered. But that doesn't mean we should vote for a less progressive candidate because they have better chance of winning than their progressive counterparts.

I liked many of Senator Elizabeth Warren's ideas but Senator Bernie Sanders is more progressive.

Unless there's some stupid church rule that says you can't do ANYTHING AT ALL EXCEPT CHURCH!!!! for the entire Sunday, Election Day on a Sunday would not prevent them from voting at all.

Its not a matter of changing the day. It is a matter of letting people do it and making it easier to vote on the assigned day.

Make it a federal day off, Have local transit companies have a couple of busses used for only taking people to voting places. Have better access to ballot drop off boxes. I saw one idea of having them in the lobbies of local police stations or other government buildings.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Its not a matter of changing the day. It is a matter of letting people do it and making it easier to vote on the assigned day.

Make it a federal day off, Have local transit companies have a couple of busses used for only taking people to voting places. Have better access to ballot drop off boxes. I saw one idea of having them in the lobbies of local police stations or other government buildings.
    Problem is the conservatives will kill it because they know that would put them at a disadvantage.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electi...United_States)

That is how 1st Tuesday of November became a tradition. It all began when America was still an agricultural country. Besides Sunday is the day when many voters attend church. Many people, including me, don't attend church mass on Sundays. But there is still a lot of people, including many Democrats, who attend church on Sundays, so why move the election day to Sunday that would conflict with their churchgoing schedule unless you want to prevent the evangelical Republicans from voting.
    It’s not like people are in the pews from sunup to sundown, so saying there’s scheduling conflicts is bull. I should know, we have a church on our block, and the faithful are there for four, maybe five hours at most, leaving plenty of time to vote after services, or even before since polling places in Pennsylvania open at seven a.m., and the church folk don’t start arriving until after nine. There is absolutely NOTHING preventing churchgoers from either side of the political aisle from voting on Sunday.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    There is absolutely NOTHING preventing churchgoers from either side of the political aisle from voting on Sunday.
    Republicans in Georgia intentionally stopped Sunday early voting day because it was too popular with Black people who were going to vote after church.

Yes, as much as I hate to admit it, we progressives unfortunately are indeed outnumbered. But that doesn't mean we should vote for a less progressive candidate because they have better chance of winning than their progressive counterparts.

I liked many of Senator Elizabeth Warren's ideas but Senator Bernie Sanders is more progressive.
    So you would rather have Trump or DeSantis as President if it means we have a progressive candidate?

I would rather have some change than go backwards with the GOP. And BTW, Bidens agenda was quite progressive, but the moderates and less than moderate Dem Senators pared it down. I'd rather have the change we can get than no change because it is not progressive enough.

I have also lived through Nixon and Reagan, both Bushes and TFG. I see what damage any GOP president can cause. I would rather have any Dem.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Problem is the conservatives will kill it because they know that would put them at a disadvantage.
    My aunt and her friends in the cult dont even hide this fact any more.

When I talk about voter restriction or Making sure voting is easy for everyone. They openly answer that there are some people who just shouldn't be voting. And if you know some one is not going to vote for your side why should you make it easy for them?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

How in hell could those lunkheads possibly relate to a trust fund baby who grew up on third base with a silver spoon in his mouth and lived in a Fifth Avenue skyscraper penthouse? How could they relate to Trump who wouldn’t so much as piss on the lot of them if they were on fire? I gotta say Trump sure bamboozled those idiots.
    Ive lost track of how many times I have heard

"Trump has the touch of the common man. He is one of us. He knows what it is like."

Really does he?
    I still say the role that denial and fear-of-humiliation play in a con job should be taken into account - especially given how obviously Trump’s con is, and especially especially given everyone else pointing it out when he started his run for office. The reason some con artists can rely on pure audacity and sheer gall (popularly illustrated with The Emperor’s New Clothes fable) is because sometimes the “mark” becomes an enthusiastic if self-sabotaging accomplice… or else they’d have to admit “being a sucker.”

And Trump has had decades to hone his audacity-based con-job, and it’s been his main focus and passion (as disgusting as that is) for most of his adult life. His entire public persona is trying to brute force his self-image into his audience’s mind. It’s why he’s so concerned with how “central casting” his cabinet and “his” generals looked.

And as much as New Yorkers have ostensibly known this for years… that was where he made his bones as a con artist and pseudo-celebrity decades before getting into politics. So he had plenty of practice at reading his audience, even if he lacks true empathy.

Add in how a lot of people lie to themselves about how racist, sexist, elitist, and paranoid their real values are… and you get someone who can’t admit to being the sucker for a con man who obviously lies to their face about the things they actually need, and only shares their worst traits.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

How in hell could those lunkheads possibly relate to a trust fund baby who grew up on third base with a silver spoon in his mouth and lived in a Fifth Avenue skyscraper penthouse? How could they relate to Trump who wouldn’t so much as piss on the lot of them if they were on fire? I gotta say Trump sure bamboozled those idiots.
    Ive lost track of how many times I have heard

"Trump has the touch of the common man. He is one of us. He knows what it is like."

Really does he?
    The only things the orange buffoon has in common with the trailer park trash and rednecks is their skin color and their IQ.

Most of his voter base couldn't afford to rent a room in his tower buildings.

Unlike most of them, he is a second-generation German/Sottish American whose family never served their country in wartime. He is so rich that he never has to live off the streets or in a homeless shelter. He is so rich that he goes to bed every night with his belly completely full.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Republicans in Georgia intentionally stopped Sunday early voting day because it was too popular with Black people who were going to vote after church.
    North Carolina as well.
    Dark does not mean deep.

https://www.theroot.com/nba-will-pau...-fa-1849424481

As great an idea as this is for the NBA, most of their weeknight games are at night, after the polls have closed in many districts, so I'm not sure what this really accomplishes, unless they use the opportunity to have players and other league representatives to publicly encourage people to vote.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The only things the orange buffoon has in common with the trailer park trash and rednecks is their skin color and their IQ.

Most of his voter base couldn't afford to rent a room in his tower buildings.

Unlike most of them, he is a second-generation German/Sottish American whose family never served their country in wartime. He is so rich that he never has to live off the streets or in a homeless shelter. He is so rich that he goes to bed every night with his belly completely full.
    And Trump himself dodged service in Vietnam via his infamous “bone spurs”. As for his base, most of those lemmings wouldn’t be allowed IN his buildings, yet they were willing to risk prison in his name when they stormed the Capitol. Astonishing.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I think a lot of people just saw him as a joke. I saw him as a guy that amused me a bit when he showed up in the WWE, but other than that, I had no interest in him. I honestly can't explain where this cult of personality around him came from, though. I guess it's enough that he allows people to be the worst versions of themselves.
    He was a cartoon version of the '80s yuppie up-and-comer, like Maxwell Lord in the JLI (the only thing they got right in Wonder Woman 84, sadly including the rest of Max). Then Wall Street quickly realized he was a fraud and blowhard, the local New York media that had fawned on him eventually figured it out (though, like today, good for eyeballs), and he faded into the background like a benign orange tumor making the occasional media appearance before the Republican Party had devolved enough for a showman/con-man to waltz in and take it over and now here we are.

And Trump himself dodged service in Vietnam via his infamous “bone spurs”. As for his base, most of those lemmings wouldn’t be allowed IN his buildings, yet they were willing to risk prison in his name when they stormed the Capitol. Astonishing.
    Said it before, will say it again, I don't fault him for dodging the draft. I fault him (or anyone) when he decides to s##t on a former POW after having also dodged the draft that got that guy captured and tortured for years. The glaring open wound of insecurity he had on that subject was obvious to see, though apparently not to the Party more likely to actually fly a POW/MIA flag. Like the Evangelicals, those who vote Republican based on their support for the military and traditional American values should have deep shame for backing this POS.