Page 268 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 1682182582642652662672682692702712722783183687681268 ... LastLast
Results 4,006 to 4,020 of 75153
    "Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Here's Matt Gaetz being a complete idiot again. Here he is thinking he is dunking on Ron Perlman.

This racial justice warrior had no problem in Hollywood portraying the White Supremacist leader of a motorcycle gang. #SOA

Revealed: The Family Member Who Turned on Trump

Donald Trump’s niece, his deceased brother’s daughter, is set to publish a tell-all book this summer that will detail “harrowing and salacious” stories about the president, according to people with knowledge of the project.

Mary Trump, 55, the daughter of Fred Trump Jr. and Fred Trump Sr.’s eldest grandchild, is scheduled to release Too Much And Never Enough on August 11th, just weeks before the Republican National Convention.
    One of the most explosive revelations Mary will detail in the book, according to people familiar with the matter, is how she played a critical role helping The New York Times print startling revelations about Trump’s taxes, including how he was involved in “fraudulent” tax schemes and had received more than $400 million in today’s dollars from his father’s real-estate empire.

As she is set to outline in her book, Mary was a primary source for the paper's Pulitzer Prize-winning investigation, supplying Fred Trump Sr.’s tax returns and other highly confidential family financial documentation to the paper.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

What has really gotten me was after those cops pushed down 75 year old Martin Gugino, leading him to bleeding out after cracking his skull, and one cop trying to help him up but was pulled back by another cop, the president of the Buffalo Police Benevolent Association said:

“Our position is these officers were simply following orders from Deputy Police Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia to clear the square. It doesn't specify clear the square of men, 50 and under or 15 to 40. They were simply doing their job. I don't know how much contact was made. He did slip in my estimation. He fell backwards." - https://buffalonews.com/2020/06/05/5...e-team-resign/

Rhetoric like “simply following orders” and “They were simply doing their job.” is just asking for the comparisons to be made echoing back to the trials at Nuremberg. This has for me has made more clear to me just how corrupt many police departments have gotten that even statistics regarding disproportionate arrests of black people, as well as Latino people, after getting hostile confrontations from cops couldn’t have done justice in determining what exactly the police have become. What I used to think was, at worst, a case of some police departments getting out of control to the point of causing disproportionate arrests and needing reform from the leaders has now lead me to think that many of the leaders, including police chiefs, have soaked in too much corruption like a sponge soaking up liquid poison, to the point that it very much seems that the militarized police, as a whole, are at war with black people, as well as Latino people and anyone else that makes them the least bit uneasy like news reporters that attempt expose their corruption.

Suffice to say, the public at large should be concerned, not just because it’s important to improve the quality of black life, but also because corruption isn’t obligated to have limits, and that corruption that grows bigger and bigger cares less and less about who gets hurt.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 06-14-2020 at 05:52 PM.

Ultimate Member

You go, girl!

I remember reading how Trump cut off medical insurance to his nephew when he was an infant. Why hasn't that made more news?

All-New Member

Default Interesting News

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    You go, girl!

I remember reading how Trump cut off medical insurance to his nephew when he was an infant. Why hasn't that made more news?
    I also recall Clinton being in Court, with no media coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmBoy View Post
    I also recall Clinton being in Court, with no media coverage.
    Huh? What "Court"? When? Where?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Well now, isn’t this interesting. So, there isn’t universal harmony within the Trump family orbit. I’m sure that has President Snowflake fuming, to which I say....GOOD!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Do any of the potential VP candidates make you feel 'Excited'? I'm not sure, and I saw it mentioned in an opinion piece. So I thought I'd ask.

Chris Wallace, Insider and Outlier at Fox News

Chris Wallace is a registered Democrat who hosts “Fox News Sunday,” a child of two Jews who keeps a rosary by his bedside, a Washington wonk who has vacationed in Italy with George Clooney.

A son of the renowned correspondent Mike Wallace, he was schooled at Hotchkiss and Harvard and worked at NBC and ABC (including as host of “Meet the Press”) before landing at Fox News, an organization founded in part to bedevil the pieties of the Eastern establishment that had shaped him.

Presidents of both parties have regarded him with suspicion. Bill Clinton once accused him of having a “little smirk on your face,” Barack Obama avoided his program for eight years, and President Trump declared him “nasty & obnoxious” and a “Mike Wallace wannabe.”

All that is to say that Mr. Wallace, 72, is comfortable being a bit of an enigma. For every Trump loyalist who views him as a heretic, there is a liberal who wishes he’d denounce colleagues like Sean Hannity. (To be clear: He won’t.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I think I'll put a list of Northern Perspective films from the Civil War.

Glory - this is probably the best known of them, while the unit (and Matthew Broderick's Col. Shaw) is real, the majority of the characters in the film are fictional.

The Red Badge of Courage - based on a book written before the Lost Cause took root.

Horse Soldiers - yes, a John Wayne film actually makes it onto the list.

There is a civil war segment in How the West Was Won, featuring Harry Morgan as Grant and John Wayne (!?) as Sherman. That part of the film was directed by John Ford.

Gettysburg shows both sides, but also has an epic scene on Little Round Top.

There are other films set against the war but not really about it, like Lincoln and Gangs of New York.

This is another thing we can blame Jim Crow for - early in the silent era most civil war films were told from the Union perspective, but then D. W. Griffith happened, and that was pretty much the end of that.
    While I'm never sure just how central the "Union Versus Confederacy..." aspect is, Escape From Fort Bravo is set in a Union prison camp.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    If the Haitians had not massacred the slave owners, they would have used every dirty trick in the book to retain their former wealth and power, likely with more than a little assistance from foreign powers who had no interest in seeing any country being governed by former slaves. Quite frankly, we would not be in the predicament we are in today if we had simply thrown the Confederates to the mercy of their former slaves.
    Let's not forget that Free Blacks were also slave owners and were very much wanting to continue Slavery too. Hell some which were in France were advocating for it to continue. There's more to the Haitian Revolution than slavery. You have to see how the french revolution affected it.

Spectacular Member Kuro no Shinigami's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Let's not forget that Free Blacks were also slave owners and were very much wanting to continue Slavery too. Hell some which were in France were advocating for it to continue. There's more to the Haitian Revolution than slavery. You have to see how the french revolution affected it.
    The Free Blacks were not the only slave owners. Jews and Native Americans also owned slaves in America. They also fought for Confederacy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand_Watie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judah_P._Benjamin

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    The series I watched mentions that the messenger from France often didn't even have time to arrive before a new one was dispatched with an entirely different message.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro no Shinigami View Post
    The Free Blacks were not the only slave owners. Jews and Native Americans also owned slaves in America. They also fought for Confederacy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand_Watie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judah_P._Benjamin
    But we Are talking about Haiti and not the US. And yes a number of minorities have owned slaves.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Do any of the potential VP candidates make you feel 'Excited'? I'm not sure, and I saw it mentioned in an opinion piece. So I thought I'd ask.
    If a VP candidate is competent, capable, knowledgeable and emphatic, then yeah, that would excited me. Choosing candidates for the highest office in the land and his immediate subordinate shouldn't be reduced to a crass and moronic reality show concept.

====================

Police Video Shows Rayshard Brooks Sobriety Test Quickly Turning Deadly

The officer who shot and killed Brooks was fired and another placed on administrative duty. His death has prompted renewed protests over police brutality. Short and sweet: That tragedy shouldn't have happened.

White House Adviser: No ‘Transparency’ Promise Ever Made Over Billions In Loans

Larry Kudlow contradicted a promise made by Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin to disclose the companies that received billions in coronavirus relief loans. We ARE talking about OUR tax dollars. The American people SHOULD know who got that money, plain and simple!

Ben Carson Tells U.S. To ‘Grow Up’ Over Racist Gripes; Stacey Abrams Calls Him ‘Infantile’

“We’ve reached a point in our society where we dissect everything and try to ascribe some nefarious notion to it,” the HUD secretary groused. It's been awhile, but Trump's "Black Friend" made an ass of himself yet again.

Meanwhile, you-know-what is still around....

Florida Hits Biggest Daily COVID-19 Jump As It Gears Up For GOP Convention

New cases jumped 35% in a single day, but Gov. Ron DeSantis shrugged off the bad coronavirus numbers. Shrug off those numbers to your peril, Ron.

Health Expert Calls Trump’s Tulsa Rally ‘Extraordinarily Dangerous Move’

The Trump campaign, in recognition of the risk, has tried to protect itself from lawsuits with a waiver about the coronavirus on its registration website. So, Trump went from calling COVID-19 a Democratic hoax to distancing himself from lawsuits if his lemmings contract the virus.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!