I think the thing that's also important to is that because of the two party system, we've essentially got the Nazi party and the party of everybody else. The Nazi party will lockstep vote for whatever the Fuhrer tells them to, where as the Dems have a huge ideological range, going from people like AOC all the way to what used to be Republicans like Manchin. I think this is one of the big reasons why this kind of stuff never gets passed/takes to long, they only want to go for a sure thing on such a big issue and don't want to have the same thing that's been happening with Manchin/Sinema to happen, that just leaves wasted time, potential lost voters, and a huge blow to enthusiasm. Now, don't get me wrong, i'm frustrated as hell with the Dems too on a lot of this, and have been disappointed more than a few times since Biden took office(I always expected Biden to be a speedbump on the road to facism and not a reversal anyway) but...kind of a damned if you do damned if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Because anonymity allows people to reveal their true nature without fear of repercussion. In person (and without a crowd to amplify their bad urges) people are manageable. Once you get online though...
    There are plenty of people willing to sign their names to disgusting comments, so it's not just anonymity.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Okay so a minor soapbox here.

I saw a story that a group of Democratic Law makers here in Ohio are going to introduce a bill protecting abortion rights. it is sure to fail in the GOP lead State. The Democrats also tried to introduce a bill like this on the federal level. What really bothers me is they are all freaking out and wanting to get this done because of the SC leak. And they are all yelling about how they are the protectors of woman's rights. But why did it take a SC leak to even start this process? These are bills that should have been introduced time and time again over the last few decades. The GOP has always been up front about their plans to over turn Roe V Wade if they got the SC. But so many Dems did nothing for years at least not in a serious way to pass a law in congress. Now that they see it is too late they are trying harder now then they ever have on both the state and Federal level and some of them want to be hailed as heroes for the too little too late approach. It irks me.
    I wonder if they were worried that efforts to prepare for an overturning of Roe VS Wade might have contributed to legal arguments for an overturning of Roe VS Wade.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    In some good news, Madison Cawthorne appears to have lost his primary.

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/statu...41238803836928
    That's what happens when you snitch on the cocaine orgies.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Here in Pennsylvania:

Despite have suffered a minor stroke which NOBODY knew about until the news leaked a few days ago, former lieutenant governor John Fetterman won the Democratic primary for the Senate. No word yet on who he’ll face from the other side.

Meanwhile, unabashed Trumper and “Big Lie” proponent Doug Mastriano (who was part of the mob at the Capitol on 1/6) won the Qpublican primary for governor and will face Democrat and former state Attorney General Josh Shapiro who ran unopposed.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

PHYSICIAN/PSYCHIATRIST WAKANDA FOREVER!'s Avatar

Not sure where he is from. His name was Colion Noir. Tucker spent the first part of his show using the "Biden is going to take your guns because of this." GOP Playbook.

Edit - Yes he is from Texas.
    Yep. I knew it. Thanks.

Despite the GOP trying to make Roe v Wade about the rights of unborn children, the law is essentially about people's right to privacy. If Roe is overturned and made a state-rights issue, it also opens the door to possible state legislation mandating the use of birth control for teenagers and state digital databases of firearms owners and weapons sales.
    Democrats need to remind Republicans that this is a double-edged sword.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Ultimate Member

Wow, that's really serious.

The young man must have really irked his party members.

Has it been officially called? Because last I saw he was behind slightly, but there were still some precincts to report in.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Has it been officially called? Because last I saw he was behind slightly, but there were still some precincts to report in.
    He conceded.

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/sta...54400991072257
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Yeah, just saw that. Good riddance.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Okay so a minor soapbox here.

I saw a story that a group of Democratic Law makers here in Ohio are going to introduce a bill protecting abortion rights. it is sure to fail in the GOP lead State. The Democrats also tried to introduce a bill like this on the federal level. What really bothers me is they are all freaking out and wanting to get this done because of the SC leak. And they are all yelling about how they are the protectors of woman's rights. But why did it take a SC leak to even start this process? These are bills that should have been introduced time and time again over the last few decades. The GOP has always been up front about their plans to over turn Roe V Wade if they got the SC. But so many Dems did nothing for years at least not in a serious way to pass a law in congress. Now that they see it is too late they are trying harder now then they ever have on both the state and Federal level and some of them want to be hailed as heroes for the too little too late approach. It irks me.
    Actually, that's not entirely correct. Congresswoman Judy Chu has tried several times since 2013.

Women's Health Protection Act of 2013 H.R. 3471, S. 1696
    Women's Health Protection Act of 2015 H.R. 448, S. 217
    Women's Health Protection Act of 2017 H.R. 1322, S. 510
    WomenÂ’s Health Protection Act of 2019 H.R. 2975, S. 1645
    WomenÂ’s Health Protection Act of 2021 H.R. 3755, S. 1975
    Women's Health Protection Act of 2022 S. 4132
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%...Protection_Act

Before that there was the Freedom of Choice was introduced in 2004 and 2006, and 2007, with earlier versions in 1989 and 1993.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_Choice_Act

And then there was the passage of the ERA constitutional amendment 50 years ago, which STILL hasn't been ratified and arguably could provide some protection for abortion rights. And honestly, I think this may be the best chance, short of winning a super majority or doing away with the filibuster, to regain abortion rights.

So, no, this isn't a recent thing. It's something that Democrats have been trying to codify for decades. But, it IS a hot issue, so politicians have repeatedly done the math to see if it "worth" spending the political capital -- especially as time went on and Roe was settled precedent.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Awesome news! One down, and another 100 to go!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    That's what happens when you snitch on the cocaine orgies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Wow, that's really serious.

The young man must have really irked his party members.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Yeah, just saw that. Good riddance.
    It ain't even as complicated as all of that.

Dude's "Clown Shoes..." nonsense was making it so a hard working Republican politician at the Federal level wasn't even going to be able to make a buck off of holding Federal office.

You start doing that?

You're gonna have to go. One way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Despite the GOP trying to make Roe v Wade about the rights of unborn children, the law is essentially about people's right to privacy. If Roe is overturned and made a state-rights issue, it also opens the door to possible state legislation mandating the use of birth control for teenagers and state digital databases of firearms owners and weapons sales.
    Democrats need to remind Republicans that this is a double-edged sword.
    There is an "Actually 'In Writing...'..." Right that would trump that at the Federal level in The Second Amendment...

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    There is an "Actually 'In Writing...'..." Right that would trump that at the Federal level in The Second Amendment...
    Really? A digital database of firearms owners seems to fit right in with the "Well regulated" clause as far as I'm concerned.
    Watching television is not an activity.