Mets really is never gonna live down t--shirtgate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I wouldn't expect anyone to let me forget something like that if I had not only done it but defended it after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Waiting the Republican take on that…

But guess it will go something like:-

Q: What stops a bad man with a gun?
    A: A good man with a gun.
    Q: What stops a good man with a gun?
    A: Bureaucratic red tape, specifically those handicapping police

Conclusion: Let’s make it harder to sue police service, etc, etc
    The Republican take is that the cops screwed up.

One problem with policy solutions to really messed up situations is that bad cases can make bad laws. What's done to encourage cops to take more risks could lead to situations where they feel pressure to be more aggressive.

On the Mad Dogs and Englishmen podcast, there was an interesting point about Democratic and Republican gun policies. Democrats generally want to make it harder for law-abiding citizens to obtain guns, with the main argument that this keeps guns out of circulation. But they're not really willing to enforce existing gun laws, to prosecute straw purchases or to search people in high-crime areas for weapons they're not licensed to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    No, you never explained why you felt that way which was the question I'd asked, just said it seemed that way to you. Then you excused your defending of the Don't Say Gay people by saying you were more familiar with them. I know Florida is on the opposite side of the country from you but you're still a Teacher, wouldn't you be more familiar with them? I'd still like to know WHY you jumped to that decision specifically, as that would require you to analyze your own thoughts - thus I joked. We should all try to think about why we think and feel the way we do, especially if we're in any position of authority. It's not like there was any evidence of these teachers being malicious rather than being cautious, not even a Tshirt, so it would seem to me that it shouldn't be claimed to be so unless it is very obvious. Mitch McConnell has more than proved he does things maliciously afterall.

This isn't about not calling out anyone's side or about Dobbs, so it'd be polite not to skew off subject.
    I did explain why I thought it was likely malicious compliance. Incidentally, I've mentioned before the distinction between "malicious" and "malicious compliance." You responded to those posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    "Malicious compliance" is distinct from "malicious intent" or "maliciousness."

I thought I answered the question, that it just seems to me from the description that this is people saying they're following their interpretation of a policy to the letter rather than making a sincere effort to implement the policy effectively.

It just seemed from the comments that they were trying to use edge cases to shut down the policy, rather than to improve it.

As for how I responded to other people, a big part of that is that I'm familiar with where they're coming from, thanks to interviews and commentary.

I suspect I'm familiar with the left-wing argument thanks to the people in this thread, but I'm also well-informed enough to be familiar with the DeSantis arguments.
    If you want me to go into more detail, in the article they mentioned that the policies in schools were going beyond what the law required, so that raises the question of why they would do that. An alternative is incompetence, but that wasn't the sense I had.

As for why I chose a topic, I was responding to something someone else had to say with a take that no one else on this forum had shared. Education is an important topic, as the development of the next generation is one of the most important issues in America.

I'm familiar with current political commentary enough that I know that situations are more nuanced than some of the left-wing criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    It is a very weird position that a guy who was a member of congressional leadership, and Vice-Chairman of the DNC (after a unanimous vote meaning every single DNC member believed this person should be an important voice in the party) does not in any way reflect the Democratic party, and that to suggest otherwise is something that should be called out years later.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

It is a very weird position that a guy who was a member of congressional leadership, and Vice-Chairman of the DNC (after a unanimous vote meaning every single DNC member believed this person should be an important voice in the party) does not in any way reflect the Democratic party, and that to suggest otherwise is something that should be called out years later.
    It was a t-shirt, Mets. You want us to put more stock in the 'serious questions' that a t-shirt raises than the things actual members of your party say and do, something you still are apparently willing to do to this day. It's pretty typical for the GOP to take one relatively anodyne statement, however, and try to gin it up into something that raises 'serious questions' about Democrats.

Please, spare us. It was ridiculous when you tried it back then, it's even more ridiculous now.

Is the whole tee shirt mess that guy who wore the Open Boarders tee shirt? I remember that. The GOP went nuts about that and because oft hat one guy every Democrat wanted Open Boarders. Unless there is another Tee Shirt the GOP was up in arms about.

And yet we have the GOP elected officials posing for pictures with hate groups and their members and yet those many members do not represent GOP policy for some reason. Or the GOP Cult members on the 6th that had the words 6 Million is not enough shirts and the rebel flag shirts. yet the GOP doesnt say crap about those shirts.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I did explain why I thought it was likely malicious compliance. Incidentally, I've mentioned before the distinction between "malicious" and "malicious compliance." You responded to those posts.

If you want me to go into more detail, in the article they mentioned that the policies in schools were going beyond what the law required, so that raises the question of why they would do that. An alternative is incompetence, but that wasn't the sense I had.

As for why I chose a topic, I was responding to something someone else had to say with a take that no one else on this forum had shared. Education is an important topic, as the development of the next generation is one of the most important issues in America.

I'm familiar with current political commentary enough that I know that situations are more nuanced than some of the left-wing criticism.
    That's the post I linked to alright, saying that your only explanation was that it seemed off. Quoting from the story:

Some of the measures appeared to be far outside what the law actually forbids, as it focuses primarily on mental health monitoring and classroom curriculums.
    -----
    “During the presentation, administrators posed hypothetical scenarios based upon the new statutes and verbal answers were provided based on the limited guidance from the Florida Department of Education,” the spokesman wrote. “Once further guidance is received from the Florida Department of Education, the district will provide formal guidance to administrators and staff.”

In a separate conversation, an OCPS official said the district needed to err on the side of caution until state officials provided more clarity. The strict interpretations, they said, were necessary to protect both students and teachers. The latter could have their teaching licenses revoked if they run afoul of the law, the official said.
    So as I said multiple times, there's nothing firm to deal with yet regardless of what critics say. The story doesn't go into anything like you describe, and if you are diving into the comments section I'm not going into that hellhole. Considering the many stories of crazy school board meetings, elections, and other anti-teacher campaigns that have been reported just in this thread over the last several years it is not malicious to try and make sure that Teachers don't just lose their jobs but their ability to earn a living with their lost license.

So with no evidence and their livelihoods on the line, why do you continue to insist they are complying maliciously instead of being cautious?

BTW the Tshirt is and will continue to be BS regardless of how often you defend it.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Is the whole tee shirt mess that guy who wore the Open Boarders tee shirt? I remember that. The GOP went nuts about that and because oft hat one guy every Democrat wanted Open Boarders. Unless there is another Tee Shirt the GOP was up in arms about.

And yet we have the GOP elected officials posing for pictures with hate groups and their members and yet those many members do not represent GOP policy for some reason. Or the GOP Cult members on the 6th that had the words 6 Million is not enough shirts and the rebel flag shirts. yet the GOP doesnt say crap about those shirts.
    You got it in 1!

Republicans have been claiming "the left" or "Democratic elites" have been doing all this child sex trafficking that isn't happening, while ignoring folks like Matt Gaetz who ARE doing that...

Well, I was a few days away from writing a profile on Jon McGreevey, aka Ryan Dark White, a GOP candidate for U.S. Senate in Maryland.

McGreevey has been charged with making a false police report after accusing a local bookstore of child sex trafficking... one that he has been working at, and claimed it's because he was "undercover".

McGreevey has also been campaigning alongside a GOP candidate for Sheriff of Baltimore County, Andy Kuhl, who has made unproven accusations of multi-state child sex trafficking on the campaign trail. While current Sheriff of Baltimore County, Jeff Gahler, did not mention Kuhl by name, the entire false report seems to been engineered to help Kuhl make a stink about a child sex ring that the incumbent wasn't doing anything about, and Kuhl & his buddy McGreevey were gonna "expose the whole thing", and by that, I mean, "tell lies to make people pissed off enough to elect you before they even look into the deception."

F***ing GOP s***heels. And also, nice to see it when they face consequences for their lies.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Republicans have been claiming "the left" or "Democratic elites" have been doing all this child sex trafficking that isn't happening, while ignoring folks like Matt Gaetz who ARE doing that...

Well, I was a few days away from writing a profile on Jon McGreevey, aka Ryan Dark White, a GOP candidate for U.S. Senate in Maryland.

McGreevey has been charged with making a false police report after accusing a local bookstore of child sex trafficking... one that he has been working at, and claimed it's because he was "undercover".

McGreevey has also been campaigning alongside a GOP candidate for Sheriff of Baltimore County, Andy Kuhl, who has made unproven accusations of multi-state child sex trafficking on the campaign trail. While current Sheriff of Baltimore County, Jeff Gahler, did not mention Kuhl by name, the entire false report seems to been engineered to help Kuhl make a stink about a child sex ring that the incumbent wasn't doing anything about, and Kuhl & his buddy McGreevey were gonna "expose the whole thing", and by that, I mean, "tell lies to make people pissed off enough to elect you before they even look into the deception."

F***ing GOP s***heels. And also, nice to see it when they face consequences for their lies.
    I remember discussing an article I'd read once with some co-workers which mentioned that GOP politicians get convicted of crimes more often than democrats but spend more time accusing democrats of commiting crimes.

https://rantt.com/gop-admins-had-38-...rats-1961-2016

Naturally they told me to shut up and that national statistics are always fixed. Sometimes, I hate living in Indiana.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

It's really easy to say both sides when you equate what some SF school board members said (and then were recalled by the Democratic voters) and what the GOP President, Senate Leader and House Leader says.

Both sides!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    The Republican politicians are following what they believe to be the will of their constituents. The constituents are reacting to what they're being told on Fox News and social media. Since it's not possible to censor what's being said, the only option is to demonstrate how wrong the misinformation actually is by dialing back the aggressive political rhetoric and appealing to people's better natures.

If you or anyone here has a better more realistic option for restoring stability to government and society at large that doesn't involve forced censorship of conservative media or forced suppression of conservative policies I'd like to hear it.
    Like I said...appealing to people's better natures is pure BS with the current Republican base. Screwing over everyone else in the idiotic hope the conservatives will suddenly stop being such vile people is not the way to go.

BANNED

So then the answer is....?

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    Like I said...appealing to people's better natures is pure BS with the current Republican base. Screwing over everyone else in the idiotic hope the conservatives will suddenly stop being such vile people is not the way to go.
    So is the alternative to "forced censorship of conservative media or forced suppression of conservative policies" just trying to motivate voters on the left?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

So is the alternative to "forced censorship of conservative media or forced suppression of conservative policies" just trying to motivate voters on the left?
    Hmm we wouldnt want to censor the GOP. They never do anything to censor views they dont agree with.

I dont agree at all with censorship. But hearing a member of the Republican party saying they are against it makes me laugh.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Hmm we wouldnt want to censor the GOP. They never do anything to censor views they dont agree with.

I dont agree at all with censorship. But hearing a member of the Republican party saying they are against it makes me laugh.
    Qpublicans whine like colicky infants about “cancel culture” tactics by the left, but it’s right wingers who ban books, censor news they dislike and practice revisionist history when it comes to unpleasant topics like slavery.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

The Republican take is that the cops screwed up.

One problem with policy solutions to really messed up situations is that bad cases can make bad laws. What's done to encourage cops to take more risks could lead to situations where they feel pressure to be more aggressive.

On the Mad Dogs and Englishmen podcast, there was an interesting point about Democratic and Republican gun policies. Democrats generally want to make it harder for law-abiding citizens to obtain guns, with the main argument that this keeps guns out of circulation. But they're not really willing to enforce existing gun laws, to prosecute straw purchases or to search people in high-crime areas for weapons they're not licensed to have. .
    Such a polite way to say stop and frisk, which we know has several issues.