Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Not so sure. Polls even in Netanyahu-friendly newspapers in Israel seem to show the people put some of the blame on him, for failing to prevent the attacks.
    I saw a report yesterday about a former cabinet member who was partly responsible for the previous government breaking up. She visited a hospital and got basically kicked out, doctors yelling at her that it was her fault they had that horrible government.
    I think Netanyahu’s a scumbag so I’d be happy to be wrong. We’ll see how it plays out in coming weeks.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Astonishing Member

Hamas plans on broadcasting hostage executions. I hope the platforms they use promptly take down these videos.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    The Hamas attack was arguably a godsend for Netanyahu. He went from being on trial for multiple charges of corruption and having to withstand months of protests at his hobbling of the Judiciary to becoming a hero to his people. The pledges of support in funds and resources from other countries is a huge bonus on top of having an opportunity to eliminate any potential conflicts with Hamas and the Palestiniansin general.
    The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that his intel knew the attack was coming but kept quiet about it to distract from his crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    For what it's worth, I have read it or a similar one, and that is indeed what they claim. My point being that unless they simply abandoned the children and left the area, it's highly unlikely that "100%" of patients treated were children. Unless 100% of the population of Gaza are children. Very suspicious from an odds perspective.
    Nobody said the only people injured were children. They said the only people treated were children. Insisting that others must have been treated assumes the necessary resources to treat everyone, which would not be the case. Doctors Without Borders isn't going to be some well stocked and staffed medical facility. In an active military conflict with a continuous influx of injured, treatment could really be little more than triage.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

It would make sense that the children would be treated first.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Nobody said the only people injured were children. They said the only people treated were children. Insisting that others must have been treated assumes the necessary resources to treat everyone, which would not be the case. Doctors Without Borders isn't going to be some well stocked and staffed medical facility. In an active military conflict with a continuous influx of injured, treatment could really be little more than triage.
    For the record, a doctor who is there estimates anywhere from 20% to 40% of patients he's treating are children, both of which are far from 100%. And let's face it, what you suggest isn't how medicine is done. Even where children are concerned, triage rules the day. For example, an adult who might survive will probably be treated before a doomed child is. And a lightly injured child will be treated after a more seriously wounded adult.

For the record, a doctor who is there estimates anywhere from 20% to 40% of patients he's treating are children, both of which are far from 100%. And let's face it, what you suggest isn't how medicine is done. Even where children are concerned, triage rules the day. For example, an adult who might survive will probably be treated before a doomed child is. And a lightly injured child will be treated after a more seriously wounded adult.
    I appreciate the random unsourced statistic, thank you. Your infallible expertise in these matters is certainly valuable to the forum.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Not so sure. Polls even in Netanyahu-friendly newspapers in Israel seem to show the people put some of the blame on him, for failing to prevent the attacks.
    I saw a report yesterday about a former cabinet member who was partly responsible for the previous government breaking up. She visited a hospital and got basically kicked out, doctors yelling at her that it was her fault they had that horrible government.
    The polls are brutal.

https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/article-767880

86% in a Jerusalem Post poll say the surprise attack was a failure of leadership.

56% call for Netanyahu's resignation at the end of the war.

For what it's worth, I have read it or a similar one, and that is indeed what they claim. My point being that unless they simply abandoned the children and left the area, it's highly unlikely that "100%" of patients treated were children. Unless 100% of the population of Gaza are children. Very suspicious from an odds perspective.

In other news, it doesn't look like the Gazans can evacuate to any Arab nation; they simply don't want them, as they've had a habit of fomenting attempted revolutions in the Arab countries who have accepted them in the past. Egypt certainly won't let them in, nor would Jordan, which fought a war against them at one point. Way to go burn bridges, guys. And of course, they've seen what Hamas has done, and want none of that.
    It seems inevitable that at the end of all of this, Gaza will have less self-determination than they had a week ago.

The simple goalpost is whether it's reasonable for a doctor to say that everyone treated at a standard medical clinic in a 24 hour period was a minor.

If he's lying, it's propaganda for one of the worst organizations on the planet.

It also seems that anyone commenting on this who is respected from Gaza should recommend everyone in Hamas surrender immediately, and everyone else fight against Hamas.

There are few situations where it is as clear who the bad guy is. In this case, it's Hamas. They are pretty close to the modern equivalent of Nazis, and we should consider it in that context.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member

I appreciate the random unsourced statistic, thank you. Your infallible expertise in these matters is certainly valuable to the forum.
    Not a stat, an estimate by a British/Palestinian doctor who is there, treating them. Oh, and unlike some, I never claimed to be infallible. And it is valuable to the forum, I'm glad you understand that.
    Last edited by achilles; 10-12-2023 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    It seems recent news has come out that a volunteer is saying they saw dead children but the government is saying they can't confirm it, and the can't confirm story is dated today.

I think I'll wait before I chose to believe either side definitively, and even if it were 100% verified it still has no effect on what I've said about the civilians in Gaza and how they're being treated. One of the most basic things we are taught when growing up is that "2 Wrongs Don't Make A Right", along with the Golden Rule of "Treat others how you'd want to be treated".
    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Why are you shocked that people want the news to be true?

Regarding that claim by the IDF (about what happened), I'm still waiting for the Israeli government to confirm.

That to me is the sensible thing to do.

I was watching MSNBC tonight, and Ari Melber actually showed proof of babies being killed and burned alive. Not to be gratuitous, but to set the record straight.

Meanwhile, will the Republicans again be incompetent idiots with the Speakership? My Magic 8-Ball says "The Odds Favor It".
    Well, Scalise just pulled out of the Speaker race, so here we are.

I hope that innocent Palestinians are spared, especially considering how large a percentage of them are children and teens, but I also want those baby killers all dead because that's just beyond the pale into the most horrendous **** I've ever heard in my goddamn life. **** Hamas.

Anyone hear anything about this so called Day of Jihad that is being called for for Friday? My aunt said she saw it being talked about on Fox News. Some kind of follow up to the Hamas attack where terrorists all over the world are going to stage attacks?

Has anyone else heard of this from a real source or is Fox News just doing their basic fear mongering ratings grabs again?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Anyone hear anything about this so called Day of Jihad that is being called for for Friday? My aunt said she saw it being talked about on Fox News. Some kind of follow up to the Hamas attack where terrorists all over the world are going to stage attacks?

Has anyone else heard of this from a real source or is Fox News just doing their basic fear mongering ratings grabs again?
    This is true.

A former Hamas leader called for a Day of Jihad tomorrow.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle...el-2023-10-11/

"Jihad" officially means struggle, so the term includes both a holy war and protests.

https://www.learningforjustice.org/m...-and-practices

So it can be argued that he is just calling for protests. And material support for his allies in Gaza.

But he is on the side of monsters who butchered babies, so I can understand why some are not going with a generous interpretation of his call to action on behalf of one of the worst organizations on the planet, a group that is already doing terrible things on a level that is pretty much unparalleled in the 21st Century.

This worries some teachers on a New York City Department of Education stuff Facebook group I frequent, and some students are concerned about it as well. You'll often have concerns due to weird rumor-mongering, and I don't think it's worth shutting down schools or anything, but this is different than the Ebola panics a few years back.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 10-12-2023 at 05:41 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    This is true.

A former Hamas leader called for a Day of Jihad tomorrow.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle...el-2023-10-11/

"Jihad" officially means struggle, so the term includes both a holy war and protests.

https://www.learningforjustice.org/m...-and-practices

So it can be argued that he is just calling for protests. And material support for his allies in Gaza.

But he is on the side of monsters who butchered babies, so I can understand why some are not going with a generous interpretation of his call to action on behalf of one of the worst organizations on the planet, a group that is already doing terrible things on a level that is pretty much unparalleled in the 21st Century.
    Thanks for the link. When I hear something of Fox I kind of take it with a grain of salt.

Isreal feels they were attacked in an act of war. They will respond to eliminate those who attacked, Hamas. But in war it matters not if the civilians support their leaders or not. As we didn't with Germany or Japan in WWII. I am not saying this is right or just. It is the nature of war.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!