Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    Of course it is. A maths book with official statistics that show that, proportionately, black people commit more crimes than white people would be what? Reality or indoctrination?
    Here is reality for you...

A question like that would never be in a textbook for any kid to read.

Because it would have been AXED the moment it was seen.
    What folks don't understand is there is a process for that text book to even reach a student.

It starts at the state level.

The head of education at the state level, the state house and senate and the PUBLIC including educators, parents, activists and so on all are give opportunity to look over and review every single book being offered for submission by publishers.

There is no voting for book approval until that period of review during Spring Break and March (at least here in Texas).
    Once approved.

The same process happens again with the local school board, community and activists.
    This is suppose to be the same process for every state. To prevent mess like that from getting to kids.

The certain GOP here in Texas tried that mess with trying to erase Hilary Clinton, Helen Keller and claiming from 2009-2017 the USA had no President. It was approved and that lasted 2 days before it was overturned.

And a question like that is a RABBIT HOLE question. It would open a bigger can of worms on racism and all that stuff that the GOP wouldn't want opened. Because certain black folks would LOVE to explain why that stat is reality and indoctrination.

Ultimate Member

I’m getting confused - is the racial bias table from Pearson fake or real? Or you don’t know/ not sure? Simple question. If you state that it’s fake then obviously I’d like to see proof of that (it’s a simple request)
    I never made any argument that the table was "fake" or "real" -- just that DeSantis was using fake examples that weren't in the books as shown in the video.

That's just a fact.

Anyway, I tried to be patient but I've already wasted too much time with this -- find your own proof instead of continually asking others to do it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Exactly -- it's clear that this is an argument from a place of ignorance.

Which gets to the larger issue of them dishonestly equating things that are generally taught in college with things that are being taught to first through third graders.

Also have to point out just how obviously hypocritical it is to claim that "sexuality" can't be discussed in class yet heterosexual relationships are in no way censored.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 03-18-2023 at 01:29 PM.

Ultimate Member

Statistically and factually you are obviously wrong, FBI data 2019 (can find more recent data, if needed):
    https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ables/table-43

Cross this with the % of population by race in the US and you get statistical proportion. How would you like to see this in a maths textbook for kids? How would this be even relevant for maths exercises? (Statistics on perceived racial bias are also not relevant for maths exercises)

According to that chart black folks only murder and rob more than white folks-who lead in every other stat.

Yet the GOP or Fox News won't talk about that.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Statistically and factually you are obviously wrong, FBI data 2019 (can find more recent data, if needed):
    https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ables/table-43

Cross this with the % of population by race in the US and you get statistical proportion. How would you like to see this in a maths textbook for kids? How would this be even relevant for maths exercises? (Statistics on perceived racial bias are also not relevant for maths exercises)

These are statistics without any context or background. Much needed context or background to the FBI statistics above would be something like “african americans are discriminated, targeted by the police and suffer more economic hardships”. See where I’m trying to get at?
    Those statistics don't say what you, and racists, think they say which is why presenting them as you did is indoctrination.

Race and violent crime have NO correlation.

Full Stop.

Despite the fact that there is a higher percentage of African Americans convicted of violent crimes in relation to their percentage of the overall population, there is no evidence that skin color has any relation to propensity towards violent crime.

Now poverty and violent crime? There is a correlation there...and there is a larger percentage of African Americans who happen to be at or below the poverty line in the US which would go towards explaining why that population happens to be over represented in crime statistics. And I say "towards" because there are other very obvious and numerous institutional reasons in addition to poverty leading to desperation that also impact the over representation issue.

So again, if you think there is any value to the statistics you presented but see it is blatantly absurd to say that the color of a car has bearing on its speed then you have a very serious disconnect that you really need to evaluate.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 03-18-2023 at 01:25 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Because it would have been AXED the moment it was seen.
    What folks don't understand is there is a process for that text book to even reach a student.

It starts at the state level.

The head of education at the state level, the state house and senate and the PUBLIC including educators, parents, activists and so on all are give opportunity to look over and review every single book being offered for submission by publishers.

There is no voting for book approval until that period of review during Spring Break and March (at least here in Texas).
    Once approved.

The same process happens again with the local school board, community and activists.
    This is suppose to be the same process for every state. To prevent mess like that from getting to kids.

The certain GOP here in Texas tried that mess with trying to erase Hilary Clinton, Helen Keller and claiming from 2009-2017 the USA had no President. It was approved and that lasted 2 days before it was overturned.

And a question like that is a RABBIT HOLE question. It would open a bigger can of worms on racism and all that stuff that the GOP wouldn't want opened. Because certain black folks would LOVE to explain why that stat is reality and indoctrination.
    So much that the books were indeed rejected, changed by the publishers and submitted for approval again.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    I never made any argument that the table was "fake" or "real" -- just that DeSantis was using fake examples that weren't in the books as shown in the video.

That's just a fact.

Anyway, I tried to be patient but I've already wasted too much time with this -- find your own proof instead of continually asking others to do it for you.

Exactly -- it's clear that this is an argument from a place of ignorance.

Which gets to the larger issue of them dishonestly equating things that are generally taught in college with things that are being taught to first through third graders.

Also have to point out just how obviously hypocritical it is to claim that "sexuality" can't be taught in class yet heterosexual relationships are in no way censored.

Anyone who supports that kind of nonsense is already showing their bias -- it's not even a matter of debate.
    I'm obviously not going to try to prove what you're asserting or not asserting, if you're unable of unwilling to do so!

According to that chart black folks only murder and rob more than white folks-who lead in every other stat.

Yet the GOP or Fox News won't talk about that.
    Proportionality, proportionality...!!!!! Are you able to put those stats in per capita context? Tip: about 13.6% of americans are black/ identify as black

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Those statistics don't say what you, and racists, think they say which is why presenting them as you did is indoctrination.

Race and violent crime have NO correlation.

Full Stop.

Despite the fact that there is a higher percentage of African Americans convicted of violent crimes in relation to their percentage of the overall population, there is no evidence that skin color has any relation to propensity towards violent crime.

Now poverty and violent crime? There is a correlation there...and there is a larger percentage of African Americans who happen to be at or below the poverty line in the US which would go towards explaining why that population happens to be over represented in crime statistics.

So again, if you think there is any value to the statistics you presented but see it is blatantly absurd to say that the color of a car has bearing on its speed then you have a very serious disconnect that you really need to evaluate.
    So putting those stats on a book - even though it's factual stats - would be indoctrination, correct?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

So putting those stats on a book - even though it's factual stats - would be indoctrination, correct?
    In the way you presented them?

Yes.

But that is very different from what you, and those Florida folks presented.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Ultimate Member

I'm obviously not going to try to prove what you're asserting or not asserting, if you're unable of unwilling to do so!
    I asserted that DeSantis provided false examples and attached a video as evidence.

An opinion regarding "indoctrination" is not going to be proven by a few questions in a math book -- there's no way to "prove" that argument one way or the other based on such limited evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    In the way you presented them?

Yes.

But that is very different from what you, and those Florida folks presented.
    Telling how you almost always see this argument come up in exactly this same manner when people want to talk about "stats" -- it's practically the standard playbook at this point.

Says more about them than anything else that might be argued.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 03-18-2023 at 02:06 PM.

New Emerson GOP Florida presidential primary poll has Trump leading DeSantis by 3 points. That must hurt.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    I asserted that DeSantis provided false examples and attached a video as evidence.

An opinion regarding "indoctrination" is not going to be proven by a few questions in a math book -- there's no way to "prove" that argument one way or the other based on such limited evidence.

Telling how you alway see this argument come up when people want to talk about "stats" -- it's practically the standard playbook at this point.
    Exactly.

The state is alleging something that we haven’t seen. And the actual examples provided don’t support the state’s case at all.

This is the same Florida that had the AP African-American placement course curriculum changed because of stupid reasons.

It is what it is though. The modern GOP consists of buzzwords without any actual meaning or in some cases truths. That’s how grifters like George Santos get elected.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    New Emerson GOP Florida presidential primary poll has Trump leading DeSantis by 3 points. That must hurt.
    I still say the hope GOP donors and members have for Trump to self-destruct is foolish; the narrative of Trumo is what his supporters care about more than the man hismelf, because they’re part of the narrative.

A lot of his current supporters initially turned to him somewhat reluctantly, telling themselves they were choosing the best candidate they could of two bad ones, and were told by even other Republicans that they were wrong, and thus staked their own self-respect for their ability to judge others on being right.

Now, they can’t tolerate the idea of being wrong, because it’s not an “oopsie, I supported a subpar GOP candidate,” but instead a “oh ****, I supported an Un-American, Pharisee-like hypocrite who would totally sell out or betray our nation if he weren’t also an incompetent buffoon” type of realization to have.

In a weird way, Trump’s obvious malice, incompetence, and lack of character pushes his supporters to see him as a paragon because of the “Emperor Has No Clothes” rule.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

The state is alleging something that we haven’t seen. And the actual examples provided don’t support the state’s case at all.

This is the same Florida that had the AP African-American placement course curriculum changed because of stupid reasons.

It is what it is though. The modern GOP consists of buzzwords without any actual meaning or in some cases truths. That’s how grifters like George Santos get elected.
    It's easy to see it for what it is: attack black people (and black history) and the LGBT community in order to get the votes of racists and homophobes.

They'll never admit it but it's obvious to everyone -- including their base who will vote accordingly.

One of the main reasons we can't resolve this problem within the Republican party is because they choose this path.

They could have listened to Colin Powell but instead they set their fortunes with Trump -- once they saw him insult Mexicans, Muslims and black people and get away with it, Republicans knew he was their man.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 03-18-2023 at 02:32 PM.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Last night I had a really....interesting discussion with a friend. It spun off "woke" and how every time an entertainment company does something in a TV or film , it has people attack it for woke. I basically was like....If you don't enjoy something....STOP WATCHING more or less and save yourself the anger. Then it went to.... climate change policies. And he sent me this UK comedian and his bizarre speech.

I even asked...what is woke about climate change policies like lower emissions etc ? Where is it woke at ? In the video this dude throws out these figures he has gotten (likely online) as people applaud him in comments section. What is missing is how a college kid TWICE there raises his hand to ask a question obviously about his figures and he SHUTS IT DOWN.

Lets be honest , if your gonna go to a University and teach da WOKE as you claim...maybe you should actually take questions from the very people there. Instead the guy came off weirdly ranting about these figures and woke and ...well its like...where the f-ck is it woke at ? Your not telling us anything besides... "Poor people don't care ..." and some insane comparison to a father choosing to save his baby and pushing a button.

Then I looked at his "Its not a big deal in UK" percentage wise deal he pushes. And well....as this article explains IT IS A BIG DEAL and I can see why he wouldn't take questions on it.

https://eciu.net/insights/2021/why-t...LkOce3OFzwrBlw

In all it was a bizarre deal that now climate change is considered woke it seems.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Last night I had a really....interesting discussion with a friend. It spun off "woke" and how every time an entertainment company does something in a TV or film , it has people attack it for woke. I basically was like....If you don't enjoy something....STOP WATCHING more or less and save yourself the anger. Then it went to.... climate change policies. And he sent me this UK comedian and his bizarre speech.

I even asked...what is woke about climate change policies like lower emissions etc ? Where is it woke at ? In the video this dude throws out these figures he has gotten (likely online) as people applaud him in comments section. What is missing is how a college kid TWICE there raises his hand to ask a question obviously about his figures and he SHUTS IT DOWN.

Lets be honest , if your gonna go to a University and teach da WOKE as you claim...maybe you should actually take questions from the very people there. Instead the guy came off weirdly ranting about these figures and woke and ...well its like...where the f-ck is it woke at ? Your not telling us anything besides... "Poor people don't care ..." and some insane comparison to a father choosing to save his baby and pushing a button.

Then I looked at his "Its not a big deal in UK" percentage wise deal he pushes. And well....as this article explains IT IS A BIG DEAL and I can see why he wouldn't take questions on it.

https://eciu.net/insights/2021/why-t...LkOce3OFzwrBlw

In all it was a bizarre deal that now climate change is considered woke it seems.
    One of the amorphous applications of “woke” by angry contrarians that they really don’t like to be called out on is when they use “woke” to stand in for “any virtue I don’t want to be bothered with right now - including common sense.”

In a way, it’s handily given outright misanthropes, the reckless, and the self-destructive a way to excuse themselves by claiming some sort of pseudo-libertarian perspective. It’s being so fragile to any criticism that claiming idiocy as an ideal becomes attractive.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Of course it is. A maths book with official statistics that show that, proportionately, black people commit more crimes than white people would be what? Reality or indoctrination?
    Neither, it would be racist.