BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Xheight View Post
    I think you are following the same racial politics of the Democrats which recruits by race and color not by values and and aspirations. Personally I would like a party in the US that identifies by class but unfortunately we do not. A populist working class party that didn't share tickets with suburban voters like Working Families does here is just more progressive compromise.
    I'm not sure you quite understand how voting works, a party system that pitted the 99% against the 1% would have predictable results. The only way the GOP in its current configuration is able to win elections is by appealing to poor whites' sense of racial solidarity against the horde of colored mongrels, and hoping that this matters more to them than class solidarity with their fellow working class Americans. But who knows, maybe next you'll suggest that we need to bring back literacy tests or property qualifications so that unproductive moochers don't get to vote.
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 09-28-2021 at 09:53 AM.

In case you didn't follow the FL race in 2020 the "latino" vote wasn't the monolith that Democrats hoped it would be.

https://www.as-coa.org/articles/char...ntial-election
    Oh please. Everyone knows that Cuban immigrants and their offspring in Florida tend to vote Republican. But Florida Latinos from Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Venezuela, etc. tend to vote Democratic.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Straw purchases are illegal. It's just not enforced often enough.

https://www.npr.org/2015/12/09/45905...t-away-with-it

One problem is that many of the suspects will be otherwise sympathetic people (IE- a felon's retired aunt.)
    Another, larger problem is that the ATF has been defunded and hobbled by Republican lawmakers to the point where it can’t possibly audit gun dealers and track their sales.
    Thanks to some arcane legal trickery they aren’t even allowed to maintain a digital database of dealers and owners. All of their records must be on paper. The volume is so great they must be stored in shipping containers in the ATF office parking lot.
    I’d provide links but I’m on my phone right now.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    I'm not sure you quite understand how voting works, a party system that pitted the 99% against the 1% would have predictable results. The only way the GOP in its current configuration is able to win elections is by appealing to poor whites' sense of racial solidarity against the horde of colored mongrels, and hoping that this matters more to them than class solidarity with their fellow working class Americans. But who knows, maybe next you'll suggest that we need to bring back literacy tests or property qualifications so that unproductive moochers don't get to vote.
    Exactly that. Or, to quote Lyndon Johnson: "If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Exactly that. Or, to quote Lyndon Johnson: "If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."
    And this is the entire foundation that they are fundraising off of right now. "Their country" is being taken away from them. Minorities need to be put in their places with voter suppression bills, gerrymandered district lines. The sheer amount of money trump is still able to get off these people with voter fraud lies and rallies is staggering.

Meanwhile they happily take the covid relief funds that their party didn't even want to give to use for their broke ass states prisons instead of relief it was intended for. Alabama trying to use COVID relief funds for new prisons

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Oh please. Everyone knows that Cuban immigrants and their offspring in Florida tend to vote Republican. But Florida Latinos from Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Venezuela, etc. tend to vote Democratic.
    Please what? Are Cubans now not Latin because they voted Republican. Next you will be telling me that Puerto Ricans aren't white. https://shadowproof.com/2011/07/24/%...hite%E2%80%9D/

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    As opposed to a party which convinces a portion of racial minorities that it represents the working class where most of them reside despite being vested in the wealthy suburbs and oligarchies that finance the big businesses that exploits them?
    so we have Bezos that owns the Washington Post and the anti labor Amazon?

I won't deny the GOP have racist adherents but they don't have a monopoly on a cynical racial strategy that pits people against each other.

Ultimate Member

I think you are following the same racial politics of the Democrats which recruits by race and color not by values and and aspirations.
    Where is this evidence of Democrat recruiting by race or color?

Were they not the racist party in this country at one point? Who OWNED the South and helped abuse Black folks?

It was the Civil Rights that attracted people not choosing based on race or color. Led by Franklin Roosevelt-the party attracted not just Blacks but other races and some religions.

Who were attracted by the call of equal rights and liberties for everyone and not one set of people.

Meanwhile the other party was the opposite. They allowed those folks to drift to the Democrat party.

The issue with the Republican party is they use PANDERING nonsense to appeal to a certain demographic. They tell them what they want to hear. FEARMONERING.

Example Dan Patrick- blaming black folks for the virus spikes in Texas. How is that possible in counties where there are few black folks?

Instead of just saying it's the unvaccinated? Which is backed up by DATA.

Democrats don't HAVE to recruit by color, because Republican policies do active harm to communities of color, and they're intelligent and do not want to do the political equivalent of continuing to touch a hot stove.

Republicans sure do put a hell of a lot of effort into trying to restrict those same people of color from voting, though. Almost like they know what they've done, and why those communities won't support them.

Pretty simple.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    At least for blacks and Hispanics, the GOP tries to recruit a handful of token faces to try and deflect criticism, however unconvincing they might be. But Asians are not considered an important demographic to warrant this, and the party actively tries to distance themselves from the handful of Asian supporters they have, whose enthusiasm even the Trump base finds to be a bit unhinged. Typical hallmarks of these folks is a dogged insistence that everything wrong with the country is proof of communist infiltration, and that colonization was good actually, because embracing Western capitalism enabled them to build a moderately successful chain of nail salons, which evidently invalidates all of the harm done by that process.

As opposed to a party which convinces a portion of racial minorities that it represents the working class where most of them reside despite being vested in the wealthy suburbs and oligarchies that finance the big businesses that exploits them?
    so we have Bezos that owns the Washington Post and the anti labor Amazon?

I won't deny the GOP have racist adherents but they don't have a monopoly on a cynical racial strategy that pits people against each other.
    I like how Republicans have this vague sense that big business is bad for society and that workers' rights should be protected, but then in the same breath will claim that communism is the root of all evil and that we all ought to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps.
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 09-28-2021 at 11:59 AM.

The equation that GOP=white is not accurate.
    You are correct. Less than 1 in 5 Republicans identifies as non-white.
    Last edited by 4saken1; 09-28-2021 at 12:38 PM.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Democrats don't HAVE to recruit by color, because Republican policies do active harm to communities of color, and they're intelligent and do not want to do the political equivalent of continuing to touch a hot stove.

Republicans sure do put a hell of a lot of effort into trying to restrict those same people of color from voting, though. Almost like they know what they've done, and why those communities won't support them.

Pretty simple.
    Exactly! When 95 % of a particular race is against a certain political Party, one can assume that either that entire race is stupid, or the political Party in question has and continues to do harm to that community. Given that most Republicans continue to deny that the latter is even a possibility, it is easy to see why the racist label fits so well.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    You are correct. Less than 1 in 5 Republicans identifies as non-white.
    "By the 2000 Census, however, 80.5% of Puerto Ricans identified as white. In other words, more than four out of five Puerto Ricans were white in 2000." A study titled “How Puerto Rico Became White”, by Mara Loveman and Jeronimo Muniz

Labeling people racist is what the Democratic party is about these days so that better explains why the label fits so well. Republicans having a southern strategy 60 years ago hasn't helped but that the Jim Crow south right up to then were once Democrats is much more quickly forgot. My point here is the neither party has a reliable history on race so why vote with that as a consideration.
    Last edited by Xheight; 09-28-2021 at 01:08 PM.

Regarding the recent news involving Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter and the VA, he doesn't have much to do with the comics division of Marvel, does he? I know he no longer has any control over the movies. I figure given his somewhat reclusive nature he's kind of hands off and is mainly concerned about other departments (especially given the generally progressive stories in the comics these days) such as the merchandising (I read that he was heavily involved in the FF/X-men merchandising issues, since he wasn't too happy with Fox).

I don't normally post about politics but just kind of curious.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

"By the 2000 Census, however, 80.5% of Puerto Ricans identified as white. In other words, more than four out of five Puerto Ricans were white in 2000." A study titled “How Puerto Rico Became White”, by Mara Loveman and Jeronimo Muniz

Labeling people racist is what the Democratic party is about these days so that better explains why the label fits so well. Republicans having a southern strategy 60 years ago hasn't helped but that the Jim Crow south right up to then were once Democrats is much more quickly forgot. My point here is the neither party has a reliable history on race so why vote with that as a consideration.
    I love how Republicans always act like they've uncovered some long buried secret when they point out that the Democrats were the party of Jim Crow, but that's pretty much common knowledge to anyone with a passing familiarity with US history. And even if you ignore the southern strategy entirely, the pre-Nixon Republican party was a bunch of fancy pants Ivy League types, whose policies largely favored entrenched business interests and wouldn't be very appealing to most minorities, or anyone these days really.