Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post

Sure, so how about we not give that validity? I said he was more popular than Bernie, and he did beat Trump by a lot. It was a blowout, Biden switched conservative strongholds like Georgia and Arizona.

While I was gonna just tune this out, some of what you are on about is really starting to trip over it's own feet.

If what you are saying in blue is indeed the case?

You yourself are shooting the idea that Bernie is some sort of folk hero that will one day have tributes written about him like the one Woody Guthrie wrote for Pretty Boy Floyd all to pieces.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Lawmakers Face Threat Of Second Capitol Attack Ahead Of Impeachment, AP Reports

Death threats against members of Congress have prompted Capitol Police to insist thousands of National Guard troops remain in Washington.

Anthony Fauci Says Trump Used To Scold Him For Not Being ‘More Positive’ About COVID-19

Trump Peddled Misleading COVID-19 Charts To The Public: Dr. Birx

Why am I not surprised this madness happened?

Rand Paul Refuses To Say Election Wasn’t Stolen, Whines About Being Fact-Checked

The Republican senator hit back at ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos for debunking Trump’s baseless voter fraud claims. Yet another assclown who has no business in Congress.

10 Billionaires Made Enough Money During The Pandemic To Vaccinate The Entire World

They could save millions from poverty with what’s left over, according to a new Oxfam report on inequality and the coronavirus.

Release Blocked For Capitol ‘Zip Tie Guy’ After FBI Reveals Weapons Cache

Eric Munchel and his mom allegedly talked of stashing weapons outside the Capitol, a pre-trial memo noted. GOOD! In my opinion, NONE of those insurrectionists should be released! NONE OF THEM!

Trump Trolled With ‘Pathetic Loser’ Sky Banner Near Mar-A-Lago

Another banner called him the “worst president ever.” Heh! I approve of this!
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 01-25-2021 at 02:36 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    While I was gonna just tune this out, some of what you are on about is really starting to trip over it's own feet.

If what you are saying in blue is indeed the case?
    Don't move the goal posts, it's about how the popularity is wielded by Bernie's followers not that every politician being popular is bad.

You yourself are shooting the idea that Bernie is some sort of folk hero that will one day have tributes written about him like the one Woody Guthrie wrote for Pretty Boy Floyd all to pieces.
    Bernie passed this stage in his career in 2016. He's not a folk hero to his followers, he's a god. An idea that is a perfect manifestation of his cult of personality too many within his fandom, the fact others in the supporters find this acceptable and don't question it is alarming. They learnt nothing from Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post

Bernie passed this stage in his career in 2016. He's not a folk hero to his followers, he's a god. An idea that is a perfect manifestation of his cult of personality too many within his fandom, the fact others in the supporters find this acceptable and don't question it is alarming. They learnt nothing from Trump.
    Something that you are on about is a non-starter...

On the one hand?

You saying that the guy isn't really popular enough to ever get to whatever position that we should be afraid that he will get to.

On the other hand?

You're telling us that he is some sorta Ian Astbury warrior king to his supporters.

If the former is the indeed the case?

The latter is a non-issue that we shouldn't even be bothering with listening to. Never mind thinking over if we should be taking it seriously.

Grand Jurors in Breonna Taylor Case Seek Impeachment of Daniel Cameron, Say He Lied to Them and Public

A number of the jurors have come out to challenge Cameron’s initial description of the guidance prosecutors gave them regarding what charges could be laid against the cops involved in Taylor’s killing. According to the Louisville Courier Journal, now three of those jurors have filed a petition to the Kentucky House of Representatives outright accusing Cameron of lying to them and the public, and asking him to be impeached as a consequence.

As you’ll remember, none of the officers from the Louisville Metro Police Department who fatally fired on the 26-year-old multiple times after entering her home on a no-knock warrant nearly a year ago have faced criminal consequences for her death. When announcing last year that neither Detective Myles Cosgrove or or Sgt. John Mattingly would be indicted in the incident, Cameron emphasized that the grand jury was walked through “every homicide offense” and was “ultimately the one that made the decision” to only charge one officer, former Detective Brett Hankinson, with wanton endangerment for shooting into a neighboring apartment.

But the three jurors who filed for Cameron’s impeachment say in their petition that “neither Cameron nor anyone from his office mentioned any homicide offense to the grand jury. Not only were no homicide offenses presented as alleged, no charges of any kind were presented to the Grand Jury other than the three wanton endangerment charges against Detective Hankinson.”
    https://www.theroot.com/grand-jurors...-of-1846121020

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I don't know, I still think it's blown out of proportion. I suppose it might be different now since I got out in 1999 and things in the military change quickly but I still think it's fucked up that people are calling him out on not being a ranger when he earned the right to wear the ranger tab.
    Okay, but did he 'serve as an army ranger'? That's the claim that's under scrutiny here. It's not about the tab, it's about him implying that he served as a ranger early on. It may be a more critical distinction for people who served as rangers than either of us, to be honest.

Ultimate Member

I can't read through the multiple pages of the thread but what about Bernie Sanders?

Is it about the memes and all that?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I can't read through the multiple pages of the thread but what about Bernie Sanders?

Is it about the memes and all that?
    It's about grudges and bitter feelings and grievances and posturing. That's all.

The Bernie memes are innocent and light and fun, and some people want to make a to-do about it.

I have been a harsher critic of Bernie's die-hard supporters than of Bernie himself. But I have had criticism for Senator Sanders.

And this meme? It's a nice fun thing that exists without commentary, and seems to just be celebrating that he's kind of curmudgeonly. Like Larry David really is the perfect guy to be doing an impression of him. So it's just a nice thing.

Let's just enjoy a nice thing while it lasts and not read too much into it.

Also, let's enjoy it if now that he's the Senate Budget Committee Chairman, that he shuts down Republicans who want to suddenly whine about the annual budget deficit that they multiplied by 8 under Trump.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Okay, but did he 'serve as an army ranger'? That's the claim that's under scrutiny here. It's not about the tab, it's about him implying that he served as a ranger early on. It may be a more critical distinction for people who served as rangers than either of us, to be honest.
    In my opinion, from what I'm used to what a ranger is, yea he served in Iraq as an army ranger.

Federal Law Enforcement Might Let Some Capitol Attackers Get Away Without Charges for Insurrection

https://www.theroot.com/federal-law-...ker-1846121287

A Capitol Stormer Who Tweeted 'Assassinate AOC' Was Arrested

https://theslot.jezebel.com/a-capito...res-1846122087

In my opinion, from what I'm used to what a ranger is, yea he served in Iraq as an army ranger.
    He finished Ranger school, but did not serve as a Ranger. He was not in the 75th Ranger Regiment. He was in other divisions.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...-army-vet.html

So his claim "My experience as a U.S. Army Ranger in Iraq and Afghanistan and my experience in business will put me in very good condition." is misleading, since he was not in either country as a Ranger. Considering his good service record, this falsehood seems unnecessary.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

From the article in question...

Messner told the Post that his claim had never been closely examined until he ran for Senate, and provided five statements from retired officers saying that anyone who graduated from the school had the right to call themselves a Ranger. Kessler went to the retired colonel who headed the Ranger School between 2014 and 2016, who said the difference was indeed a matter of debate, but concluded: "Should [Messner] say he was 'Ranger-qualified' in his ads? Probably. Maybe."
    If the person heading the Ranger school seems to be saying that it is up for debate?

That is probably where the buck should stop.

I'd certainly take that perspective over any of ours.

Never mind that more than one retired officer seemed to be fine with someone doing so.

Whether or not Tom Cotton deserves to be able to call himself an Army Ranger...

We can say he deserves to be labeled as a fascist, given the op-eds he's written. And that really should have been enough to end his career.

On this date in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, as well as 2020, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day posted profiles of Josh Miller, a member of the Arkansas House of Representatives and one of the biggest hypocrites you're ever going to find on the issues of government-assistance in regards to healthcare. You see, Miller managed to get himself in a drunk driving accident at the age of 22 where a pickup truck when tumbling off into a ravine that left his good friend dead, and himself paraplegic. Now, the bill for his recovery exceeded $1 million, but he got by because luckily the social safety net like Medicaid was there to catch him. And that's why it was baffling in February of 2014 to see Miller vote to block the Medicaid expansion in Arkansas, and deny tens of thousands of people the same hope that he once needed. If that wasn't enough to convince you Miller may have bonked his head tumbling down that ravine, he also is so pro-life that he supported a measure that would have required a criminal investigation whenever a mother had a miscarriage, voted for TRAP laws to attempt to close all the abortion clinics in Arkansas by deliberately enacting impossible-to-meet restrictions upon them, and is so hung up on guns that he voted to allow firearms on college campuses and inside churches (because Jesus wants people packing heat while they pray). Not to mention, Miller supports stricter Voter ID measures to combat the statistically non-existent problem of "voter fraud" that disenfranchises tens of thousands of voters, and used his paralysis as his justification, saying if he can get registered to vote, why can't naysayers?

And after trying to deny money to sick people in need by denying the Medicaid Expansion, perhaps it should be noted that Miller moved to amend Arkansas State Law so he could still keep his own government aid, even though he accepts rental payments (in other words, he still wants government assistance, even though he’s financially well off between his salary as a legislator, and what he earns renting properties). But if there was any chance that we were about to forget Josh Miller’s hypocrisy, that went out the window when he shared this delightful rant on Facebook regarding his vote against the Medicaid Expansion in April of 2016:

AR Works is the title of the new law and this is what it consists of.
    1. Continuing the Private Option. (A disaster of a program that has made a few insurance companies millions at the expense of future taxpayers.) The Private Option has also made it more difficult for our most vulnerable population (the recipients of traditional Medicaid) to find a doctor because more and more medical providers have stopped taking new Medicaid patients. They have opted to accept the state funded private insurance recipients because the insurance companies pay a little more than Medicaid. Doesn't sound too bad unless you're disabled and have to travel many miles away from home to find a doctor who will see you.
    2. Sending "Work Referrals" to able bodied individuals who make 0 income. This sounds like a novel idea until you hear more about it. This will consist of a pamphlet (no doubt mailed to those folks at the expense of the taxpayers) that will tell this population (over 100,000) where to go to get training on how to get a job. I'm sure this training will include instructions like these...
    A. Set your alarm
    B. Get out of bed
    C. Get dressed
    D. Go look for a job
    E. If offered a job, take it
    F. Do your best to do your job
    G. Repeat steps A, B, C, and F every day of your employment.
    I am not kidding about this. My feeling is that these adults (who are able bodied and healthy but are earning $000.00) don't want a job. Many of them have it figured out that they can stay unemployed and have their needs met by those who do believe in the principles of hard work. I'm sure that their lifestyle isn't what they might want it to be but, hey - they don't have to work 40+ hours a week to make ends meet like the taxpayers do. I honestly don't mind helping people who are trying to help themselves but I have a hard time giving the fruits of hard labor to those who CHOOSE to sit at home and do nothing
    .”
    In the past year, Miller has missed more votes than the average legislator in Arkansas, by far, and when he has shown up, he’s voted against legislation as extreme as a ban on abortion at 18 weeks.

There are no limits to this guy’s hypocrisy or lack of self-awareness, based on his own history. Josh Miller was re-elected in 2016, 2018, and 2020 based on the benefit that he ran unopposed. He’s not term-limited in the Arkansas Legislature until 2028, so unless someone bothers running against him, he won’t be returning to being one of the people he hates so much living off of government checks. Pity, that.