Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Capitalists and Kleptocrats never want to hear “It’s hard for a rich man to go to heaven.”
    I wonder if whoever wrote the bible wrote that passage so people would give their money to the church instead of hoarding it.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I understand the argument that any politician who takes any steps against laws that are seen to be in favor of the lgbtq+ community is beyond the pale. I don't think it's a realistic view, but I can get where the people are coming from.

When I described the view "A moderate Republican should not consider voting for any candidate who supports bans of trans athletes in girls sports" I got some pushback on the board that this isn't the Anti-DeSantis argument. I fully appreciate that different people will have different lines in the sand, so that it might be enough for some people, but that others think he's gone further.

My question was about quality and not quantity. I was looking for the nastiest stuff he's said and done. The basic metric is that these are the specific things he's done that are so bad a reasonable person can conclude no moderate Republican should consider voting for DeSantis over Biden as a result.

This is a high standard, but it is in response to a tough claim, unless it was meant to be understood as hyperbole.
    ...it's not a high standard. If a politician supports anti-gay laws then a moderate would not support them. It's as simple as that.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

https://apnews.com/article/florida-t...93a4c0685969b2

The law also contains language that she said could scare off doctors who would be otherwise willing to treat trans patients, such as a 20-year statute of limitations to sue over care they provide.
    Some more accounts of the same things i've described, though it doesn't contain the new extra rules about not losing your care if you have to change your dosage, effectively making it 100% banned at the moment, and that DeSantis' hand picked committee is intentionally slow rolling getting the "informed consent" form together by 6 months(originally supposed to be prepared within 60 days of the bill being signed).

I understand the argument that any politician who takes any steps against laws that are seen to be in favor of the lgbtq+ community is beyond the pale. I don't think it's a realistic view, but I can get where the people are coming from.

When I described the view "A moderate Republican should not consider voting for any candidate who supports bans of trans athletes in girls sports" I got some pushback on the board that this isn't the Anti-DeSantis argument. I fully appreciate that different people will have different lines in the sand, so that it might be enough for some people, but that others think he's gone further.

My question was about quality and not quantity. I was looking for the nastiest stuff he's said and done. The basic metric is that these are the specific things he's done that are so bad a reasonable person can conclude no moderate Republican should consider voting for DeSantis over Biden as a result.

This is a high standard, but it is in response to a tough claim, unless it was meant to be understood as hyperbole.
    No reasonable person can be for laws whose soul purpose is to make other people's lives harder and more miserable. You're talking about quality? The nastiest things he's done? Every law he's made that targets a minority to make things harder for them to live their lives and their truths should be considered automatically to be of such a quality of nastiness to bar support. There's nothing moderate about oppression, and DeSantis' laws are oppression. Laws whose sole aim is to target and harm a community someone hates is oppression, that's not hyperbole or exaggeration, it is literally, not figuratively, actual factual oppression. DeSantis engages in oppression.

I don't know what your argument is here. Once someone engages in intended oppression of others as DeSantis has quite clearly done then that high standard is passed.

Continuing to amp up the rhetoric: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-N...7891685892325/
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JT221 View Post
    Of course, they want to help their buddy Trump

You asked me if I thought social contagion explains the increase in trans identification, not about whether social contagion is real as a concept.

It seems relevant to point out that even if social contagion is real and has a significant effect on teen girls, it doesn't mean that it connects to another development.
    It is relevant to point out that we are specifically talking about "another development" when you think it's relevant to double down on "social contagion" being this huge societal concern.

It is not the internet, or Tiktok, or impressionable teenagers who have developed standards of transgender care. No, there is an entire field of science devoted to study of the human mind and behavior. Mental health professionals spend their entire lives devoted to helping people; and the standards of care that Republicans seek to stop are what those professionals have deemed best.

I think a "reasonable person" follows the science. And the science is not applying transgender care to "social contagion". Given that, I think it's harmful to continue discussing the two as if they're somehow related.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Love how conservatives want to talk about social contagion, but never about the social panic. It's because they benefit from and spread the latter.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    Ascol claims that his words weren't interpreted correctly

Even if one were to buy into this not just being Ascol backpedaling after how much backlash he has received for his comments, it never ceases to amaze me how crassly many conservatives dismiss the damage their words can have in emboldening violence against the communities that their hateful words target.
    And the back pedaling doesn't make much sense. What standard is he asking for? That Cruz should condemn the bible as well?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Now THIS is a book ban I can get behind, or, what's good for the goose is good for the gander:

A Utah school district removed the Bible from some school libraries. Now it’s received a request to review the Book of Mormon

A Utah school district that recently pulled the King James Bible from elementary and middle school libraries has now received a request to review the Book of Mormon for removal, according to school officials.

Christopher Williams, director of communications and operations at the Davis School District, said the district received a request Friday to review the Book of Mormon for “sensitive material” as well. The Book of Mormon is the religious text used in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which is headquartered in Salt Lake City.

The Salt Lake Tribune reported the request calls for the book to be reviewed because it contains violence, including battles, beheadings, and kidnappings.

Williams told CNN he has not seen the request and does not know the grounds on which it was made.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Now THIS is a book ban I can get behind, or, what's good for the goose is good for the gander:

A Utah school district removed the Bible from some school libraries. Now it’s received a request to review the Book of Mormon
    It's the same principle at a school, isn't it? School gives children to tools to function in a society...the moral code comes from outside that structure. Or at least it should in a perfect world.

Quote Originally Posted by JT221 View Post
    It's the same principle at a school, isn't it? School gives children to tools to function in a society...the moral code comes from outside that structure. Or at least it should in a perfect world.
    Technically schools also provide moral structure. Morals are not just from religious texts. Schools have long and often taught against drug use and speak about anti-bullying and name calling.

A high school in Florida will offer refunds and reprints to parents and students who argued its yearbook featured “disgusting and wrong” LGBTQ+ content.

Students at Lyman high school in Seminole county received their yearbooks a few weeks ago. Several conservative parents complained.

Related: Utah school district that banned Bible considers removing Book of Mormon

Among 256 pages, two pages highlighted LGBTQ+ students. In addition to pictures of smiling students, the pages featured terms including “genderfluid”, “sexual orientation”, “queer” and “nonbinary”, as well as the rainbow Pride flag.

Quotes from students included: “I think it’s important for you to help others understand you. You should show them who you are, how you feel and what you identify as because it’s not wrong. It is you literally just living your life.”

In a Facebook post reviewed by the Daily Beast, one parent wrote: “This gender ideology crap has parents in an uproar because it’s disgusting and wrong for an adult to sexualize a minor …
    Florida continues to prove what this is all really about. Erasing gay people. Erasing trans people. Erasing the LGBTQ community.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-s...060005493.html

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Florida continues to prove what this is all really about. Erasing gay people. Erasing trans people. Erasing the LGBTQ community.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-s...060005493.html
    All that concern about adults sexualizing minors, but nary a peep from those idiots about cops, priests and other authority figures, all allegedly straight as the day is long abusing kids. Yeah, this is all about a full scale attack on the LGBTQ community, the purpose being to eliminate it.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!