Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    My only solace is that maybe we can at least speed up climate change a bit and sink Florida faster.
    Except the rest of us are paying for it. I know it would never happen but I would love for a bunch of Reps to pull a Cruz and hold up federal money for Florida and Texas. Let them tax their residents and use that money. The federal government is spending billions in Key West alone.

https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/s...99382943272960

NEW: President Biden says he would support changing the filibuster rules to codify Roe v. Wade.
    While nothing will come of this (thanks to Manchin and Sinema), it's important that Biden came out and said this. People want to see Biden fight.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    So if we don't have progressive candidates that don't appeal to the middle swing voters, we lose? Again, how does that work.
    At some point, the Democratic Party has gotta abandon the idea of "appealing" to swing voters if they want to see substantial change. It feels like the desire to stay as close to centrist policies as possible is alienating younger voters who feel like their votes are meaningless and irrelevant as they are only allowed to elect candidates who want to keep things the way they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post

While nothing will come of this (thanks to Manchin and Sinema), it's important that Biden came out and said this. People want to see Biden fight.
    Yup, exactly. I think showing exactly why we can't get things done rather than explaining why is important to get people to actually vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post

How would this codify anything if Republicans could just change it back next time they get into office, in addition to opening the door for Republicans to stuff any legislation that they want down our throats next time they are in power? Not to mention that this Supreme Court that we are stuck with for the next 20 years will undoubtedly overturn such legislation as a matter of state's rights!
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    At some point, the Democratic Party has gotta abandon the idea of "appealing" to swing voters if they want to see substantial change. It feels like the desire to stay as close to centrist policies as possible is alienating younger voters who feel like their votes are meaningless and irrelevant as they are only allowed to elect candidates who want to keep things the way they are.
    That's a huge issue they have. It's like their Achilles heel. That's why I always bring up that MLK quote. Moderates and centrists aren't some kinda holy political baramater. They've done almost just as much to stagnate progress as Republicans
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    How would this codify anything if Republicans could just change it back next time they get into office, in addition to opening the door for Republicans to stuff any legislation that they want down our throats next time they are in power? Not to mention that this Supreme Court that we are stuck with for the next 20 years will undoubtedly overturn such legislation as a matter of state's rights!
    Don't vote for Republicans if you don't want bad laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I profiled Tricia Derges back on March 20th. But nice to know she is going to jail for her crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    I can name a few others, and add one from the writer of Blackhawk Down, Mark Bowden, during one of Trump's interviews with Playboy Magazine...

Trump, in a rage, saw a water fountain on his Mar-a-Lago tennis court he didn't recall being there, and in a fury, attacked it, damaging it and rupturing the water line to it, sending a geyser of water shooting up and flooding the whole court (likely because he probably also grifted the cheapest person he could find to install it and never paid them).
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

The bolded part is pretty funny. It doesnt matter what the Dems do. The GOP will still stuff down any legislation they want when they are in power even if the people do not want it. It doesnt matter what the Dems do or wont do.

The Dont do this because then the Gop will do that is kind of getting old. The GOP will do what they want anyway. They wont just sit on their racist hateful agenda because the Dems didnt try and do what they wanted to do. They will do it any way. So the if the Dems dont push then the GOP wont push is false as Hell.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Personally I'd say any idea that the Republicans would operate in good faith was destroyed when McConnell blatantly stole a supreme court seat, but I think if you want to go further, I think once a sitting Republican president attempted to overturn the election, with support from sitting Republican senators and congressmen, and then after it failed the Republicans largely choose not to impeach him, any assumption that they won't break any norm or try any illegal tactic to further there consolidation of power should be permanently dead.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Hitting women and children? Sure, that's in character. Putting hands on muscular, young, and well-trained men with guns because he just had to be in the ****? Not a f##king chance. I get it, you guys want this to be the smoking gun that's finally going to nail him. It's not. The sooner you realize that the better for your mental health going forward. Take a beat, engage with reality, then work on supporting Democratic candidates for the upcoming election. Daydreaming about Trump in cuffs or exiled from running is a pleasant distraction at best, and a destructive one at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Opinion Democrats must stop promoting Republican extremists

I thought doing this was a minor experiment, but maybe it is getting out of hand.
    Why not, worked for the Clintons with encouraging Trump to run and shake things up a little in the boring little ol' GOP.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The bolded part is pretty funny. It doesnt matter what the Dems do. The GOP will still stuff down any legislation they want when they are in power even if the people do not want it. It doesnt matter what the Dems do or wont do.

The Dont do this because then the Gop will do that is kind of getting old. The GOP will do what they want anyway. They wont just sit on their racist hateful agenda because the Dems didnt try and do what they wanted to do. They will do it any way. So the if the Dems dont push then the GOP wont push is false as Hell.
    I see your point. My fear is in seeing what Republicans are capable of WITH the filibuster in place, I can't even imagine what they would be able to get through if it wasn't there. The whole discussion is moot, though, because SCOTUS WILL block any such legislation.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

I see your point. My fear is in seeing what Republicans are capable of WITH the filibuster in place, I can't even imagine what they would be able to get through if it wasn't there. The whole discussion is moot, though, because SCOTUS WILL block any such legislation.
    The thing is, the GOP rely on the filibuster as a means by which they don't have to pass legislation their base wants but would be massively unpopular. Look at the reaction to the overruling of Roe V. Wade. The GOP utilizes the filibuster so they don't have to govern and then use it to stop everyone else from governing also. It's an instrument of paralysis and institutional rot at this point.

While it will always be an instrument of minority rule, the Senate needs to be able to function and a majority ought to be enough to pass things instead of the de facto supermajority that McConnel has instituted.

We need to uncap the House and nuke the filibuster. Doing both those things would go a long way to making our legislative bodies functional again.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 06-30-2022 at 08:39 AM.

The thing is, the GOP rely on the filibuster as a means by which they don't have to pass legislation their base wants but would be massively unpopular. Look at the reaction to the overruling of Roe V. Wade. The GOP utilizes the filibuster so they don't have to govern and then use it to stop everyone else from governing also. It's an instrument of paralysis and institutional rot at this point.

While it will always be an instrument of minority rule, the Senate needs to be able to function and a majority ought to be enough to pass things instead of the de facto supermajority that McConnel has instituted.

We need to uncap the House and nuke the filibuster. Doing both those things would go a long way to making our legislative bodies functional again.
    I'm not the only one who thinks the GOP will nuke the filibuster for the express purpose of a nationwide ban on abortion should they retake the White House and both Houses of Congress. We've already heard the idea bandied about.

Agreed, the GOP's strongest weapon is obstruction, make sure nothing can be fixed and let everything they can rot so they can point out how useless the government is.