1. #45151
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,458

    Default

    Three Democratic voters in Wisconsin, including two who served as electors for President Biden in 2020, filed suit Tuesday against 10 supporters of Donald Trump in the state, arguing the group engaged in a civil conspiracy to violate state and federal law when they declared themselves presidential electors in 2020 even though Biden won the state’s popular vote.

    The group also sued two lawyers who worked with Trump’s campaign and advised Trump’s electors to meet in states Biden had won and declare themselves properly elected.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...rump-electors/

  2. #45152
    Extraordinary Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    7,539

    Default

    Okay so a minor soapbox here.

    I saw a story that a group of Democratic Law makers here in Ohio are going to introduce a bill protecting abortion rights. it is sure to fail in the GOP lead State. The Democrats also tried to introduce a bill like this on the federal level. What really bothers me is they are all freaking out and wanting to get this done because of the SC leak. And they are all yelling about how they are the protectors of woman's rights. But why did it take a SC leak to even start this process? These are bills that should have been introduced time and time again over the last few decades. The GOP has always been up front about their plans to over turn Roe V Wade if they got the SC. But so many Dems did nothing for years at least not in a serious way to pass a law in congress. Now that they see it is too late they are trying harder now then they ever have on both the state and Federal level and some of them want to be hailed as heroes for the too little too late approach. It irks me.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  3. #45153
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    9,739

    Default



    In minute 4.01 you can see the side by side of the Buffalo's shooter's quotes and the nonsense that Tucker Carlson has been spewing.

    It's almost literally the same thing.

  4. #45154
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    11,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Okay so a minor soapbox here.

    I saw a story that a group of Democratic Law makers here in Ohio are going to introduce a bill protecting abortion rights. it is sure to fail in the GOP lead State. The Democrats also tried to introduce a bill like this on the federal level. What really bothers me is they are all freaking out and wanting to get this done because of the SC leak. And they are all yelling about how they are the protectors of woman's rights. But why did it take a SC leak to even start this process? These are bills that should have been introduced time and time again over the last few decades. The GOP has always been up front about their plans to over turn Roe V Wade if they got the SC. But so many Dems did nothing for years at least not in a serious way to pass a law in congress. Now that they see it is too late they are trying harder now then they ever have on both the state and Federal level and some of them want to be hailed as heroes for the too little too late approach. It irks me.
    Democrafts never want to do anything that would rock the boat. They won't take steps to enact real change unless their backs are at the wall.

  5. #45155
    Extraordinary Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    7,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Democrafts never want to do anything that would rock the boat. They won't take steps to enact real change unless their backs are at the wall.
    When it comes to abortion we agree on this. It is too late to do any thing on a national level and in the states that are controlled by the GOP like Ohio and Kentucky. Yet they are trying to pass these bills knowing they are going to fail. It should have been tried long before now. And the thing that really bugs me about it is how self righteous some of them are being about it. We are trying to protect woman's rights. No you are making a too little too late political show and wondering why everyone is not kissing your butts about it.

    The vote for us to protect woman's rights ship has sailed at this point. Not on a state level in some places but darn sure on a national level. The GOP has made no secret for decades on what they wanted to do. And the Dems made no real attempts to stop them. And it angers me. And next is Gay and trans rights. We are already seeing it on voting rights for minorities and how the GOP is stripping them away.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  6. #45156
    Mighty Member useridgoeshere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Democrafts never want to do anything that would rock the boat. They won't take steps to enact real change unless their backs are at the wall.
    True. They’re the status quo party.

    A lot of people took it for granted that Roe was untouchable. They figured judges might chip away at it but never go this far. And here we are.

  7. #45157
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    19,248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post


    In minute 4.01 you can see the side by side of the Buffalo's shooter's quotes and the nonsense that Tucker Carlson has been spewing.

    It's almost literally the same thing.
    *ucker Carlson must be so proud of this kid. And his reward will be to go on trial, be convicted and hopefully become some guy's "wife" in prison.

  8. #45158
    Extraordinary Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    7,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    *ucker Carlson must be so proud of this kid. And his reward will be to go on trial, be convicted and hopefully become some guy's "wife" in prison.
    Guys after tonight we can stop calling Tucker a racist. he was talking about Biden calling for a ban on Assault riffles. And yes Tucker was talking about how that is impossible and did the 2nd amendment crap. And he had on a 2nd Amendment rights advocate. But that Advocate was an African American. And Tucker was all smiles and called the man sir.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  9. #45159
    The Nature Boy AnakinFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Saint Ann, MO
    Posts
    4,384

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Okay so a minor soapbox here.

    I saw a story that a group of Democratic Law makers here in Ohio are going to introduce a bill protecting abortion rights. it is sure to fail in the GOP lead State. The Democrats also tried to introduce a bill like this on the federal level. What really bothers me is they are all freaking out and wanting to get this done because of the SC leak. And they are all yelling about how they are the protectors of woman's rights. But why did it take a SC leak to even start this process? These are bills that should have been introduced time and time again over the last few decades. The GOP has always been up front about their plans to over turn Roe V Wade if they got the SC. But so many Dems did nothing for years at least not in a serious way to pass a law in congress. Now that they see it is too late they are trying harder now then they ever have on both the state and Federal level and some of them want to be hailed as heroes for the too little too late approach. It irks me.
    The thing is, they never expected Roe to be overturned. Even with people sounding the alarm as McConnell stacked the court with conservative, barely-qualified judges, they still didn't believe the Court would overturn Roe due to precedent. And abortion, like Social Security, has been the third rail of politics for over 50 years. As long as Roe was in place, nobody wanted to mess with abortion rights- Liberals, because they feared it would cost them votes; and Conservatives, because they could fundraise to their heart's content with the pro-life crowd.

    But now that the leak has shown that the court will probably be overturning Roe, they can't ignore it any longer. Now they are holding these votes to get everyone on the record, so they can have clear lanes of attack in the fall. And if the Democrats are wise, they will start hammering Republicans early and often on this issue.

  10. #45160
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    27,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Guys after tonight we can stop calling Tucker a racist. he was talking about Biden calling for a ban on Assault riffles. And yes Tucker was talking about how that is impossible and did the 2nd amendment crap. And he had on a 2nd Amendment rights advocate. But that Advocate was an African American. And Tucker was all smiles and called the man sir.
    “Advocate”. Pfft! More like a sellout (there’s a worse term, but that would get me banned), which is ANY person of color who chooses to support the GQP and their vile policies which would put their collective feet on the necks of people like me.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  11. #45161
    Extraordinary Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    7,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    The thing is, they never expected Roe to be overturned. Even with people sounding the alarm as McConnell stacked the court with conservative, barely-qualified judges, they still didn't believe the Court would overturn Roe due to precedent. And abortion, like Social Security, has been the third rail of politics for over 50 years. As long as Roe was in place, nobody wanted to mess with abortion rights- Liberals, because they feared it would cost them votes; and Conservatives, because they could fundraise to their heart's content with the pro-life crowd.

    But now that the leak has shown that the court will probably be overturning Roe, they can't ignore it any longer. Now they are holding these votes to get everyone on the record, so they can have clear lanes of attack in the fall. And if the Democrats are wise, they will start hammering Republicans early and often on this issue.
    I hear this get them on the record all the time. We need to get the GOP on the Record for Trumps impeachment, we need to get them on the record for police reform, for Abortion rights. They are on the record. if they have an R next to their name on the ballet we know where they stand on these issues 100 percent. Its not like them being on the record is going to hurt them. In fact it makes them heroes. "Look at me. I voted to stop abortion! I am God's Champion of the Unborn. I stopped police Reform! I fight the Woke Libs! I am a champion of Guns! I voted to stop minorities from voting. No more stolen elections!"

    To me the "We didnt think they would really do it." even though for decades this has been an open GOP plan is an excuse on why they never took a stand that would have cost them votes and they did not want that. So when gay marriage is ripped away and more rights for Trans and Minorites are taken away are we still going to hear

    "Well we never thought they would it." Even though they are so open right now about wanted to roll back and block rights.

    I agree I hope the Dems hammer and really beat the crap home in the mid terms and 2024. I dont want them to fall back into the take the high road and here Biden's greatest hits "I feel we can work with them. We are just going to talk with them some more."
    Last edited by babyblob; 05-17-2022 at 06:26 PM.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  12. #45162
    PHYSICIAN/PSYCHIATRIST WAKANDA FOREVER!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    ARKHAM ASYLUM
    Posts
    816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Guys after tonight we can stop calling Tucker a racist. he was talking about Biden calling for a ban on Assault riffles. And yes Tucker was talking about how that is impossible and did the 2nd amendment crap. And he had on a 2nd Amendment rights advocate. But that Advocate was an African American. And Tucker was all smiles and called the man sir.
    Babyblob, what's the advocate's name? Is it the dude from Texas?

  13. #45163
    Extraordinary Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    7,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WAKANDA FOREVER! View Post
    Babyblob, what's the advocate's name? Is it the dude from Texas?
    Not sure where he is from. His name was Colion Noir. Tucker spent the first part of his show using the "Biden is going to take your guns because of this." GOP Playbook.

    Edit - Yes he is from Texas.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  14. #45164
    Astonishing Member CSTowle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    4,525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    You were talking of people ignoring reality in favor of what they want to be true, and people that have gone that far down the hole are incredibly hard to reach. While not all politically related I've dealt with several people like that in my life and I've learned that it's like arguing with a brick wall, or someone pretending to be one. I don't mind discussing things with people who are willing to listen and genuinely respond, but I've learned that far too many come here just to antagonize or outright lie and spread whatever misinformation they can that enforces the story they want told. It's like the difference between our recent russian propagandist and babyblob, one came aggressively from the beginning and when their views were questioned doubled down at every opportunity. BB came willing to talk and discuss and has since come to see the same sort of intransigent person in his life as his views have evolved. I've lived my entire life in one red state or another so I've dealt with many I disagree with but I only seem to get in heated arguments here online.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Because anonymity allows people to reveal their true nature without fear of repercussion. In person (and without a crowd to amplify their bad urges) people are manageable. Once you get online though...
    Was going to say the same thing. It's why I'm hopeful that people can be made to see reason, as they're not (most of them, at least) mustache-twirling villains but people with ignorance/blind spots who may not have had to consider them, or are privileged not to have to examine the way certain laws/conditions/systems impact people who aren't like them. Screaming matches and judgment won't get them to reconsider though, it's just likely to get them to double down/turtle up.

    But on arguing with the other side I also would add that it doesn't have to be an "a-ha!" moment where you nail the landing on your argument and the veil falls from their eyes. It's a constant struggle, and again while the hope is the hardcores might eventually reconsider their extremism and soften there's also the idea that (less so here, but in general on social media) for everyone posting on the other side you have a larger number who drive-by and read the conversation. Giving them the best side of the argument from our perspective might be enough to *drip*drip*drip* and tip the scales towards what we believe is the better way for society, whether that's on abortion/guns/election laws/etc.

    It's also why the kind of advocates who screech in anger when confronted with injustice only to become popular 4chan/right-wing humor memes are destructive to their own cause. When you respond to being poked by poking back (not you specifically, royal/"when one" you) instead of trying to be the adult in the room (as frustrating and seemingly thankless as that position might seem, and certainly not as fun as swinging back hard) then you sink to their level and again turn off those who are just passing through and might be swayable.

    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Okay so a minor soapbox here.

    I saw a story that a group of Democratic Law makers here in Ohio are going to introduce a bill protecting abortion rights. it is sure to fail in the GOP lead State. The Democrats also tried to introduce a bill like this on the federal level. What really bothers me is they are all freaking out and wanting to get this done because of the SC leak. And they are all yelling about how they are the protectors of woman's rights. But why did it take a SC leak to even start this process? These are bills that should have been introduced time and time again over the last few decades. The GOP has always been up front about their plans to over turn Roe V Wade if they got the SC. But so many Dems did nothing for years at least not in a serious way to pass a law in congress. Now that they see it is too late they are trying harder now then they ever have on both the state and Federal level and some of them want to be hailed as heroes for the too little too late approach. It irks me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Democrafts never want to do anything that would rock the boat. They won't take steps to enact real change unless their backs are at the wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    True. They’re the status quo party.

    A lot of people took it for granted that Roe was untouchable. They figured judges might chip away at it but never go this far. And here we are.
    Didn't want to also quote Anakin to avoid a super-long post, but also agree. Enshrining it into Federal Law despite having Roe would have seemed like overkill and doubling down over what was until recently considered a given seemed like it would only antagonize the right on what is already a complicated and sensitive issue. It is also the sort of thing that is going to be a hard sell without a super-majority (which would be hard to maintain on an issue like this in a world with center-left and pure centrist Democrats), even with our backs against the wall.
    Formerly finfangfool

  15. #45165
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,129

    Default

    In some good news, Madison Cawthorne appears to have lost his primary.

    https://twitter.com/Redistrict/statu...41238803836928
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •