Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    It's one thing to penalize people who elect to terminate a pregnancy, but to punish someone who biologically couldn't maintain a fetus?

You know how hard hearted and malicious that sounds?

My mother (God rest her soul) had two miscarriages before giving before to me and two older siblings.
    I understand what you are saying.
    But penalizing women for terminating their pregnancy is barbaric.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Oklahoma Attorney General Mike Hunter abruptly resigns, cites ‘certain personal matters’

Oklahoma Attorney General Mike Hunter on Wednesday said he would resign, citing the risk of distractions from “personal matters that are becoming public.”

The Republican Hunter’s sudden resignation, effective next Tuesday, came two days after he filed for divorce from his wife, Cheryl, after 39 years of marriage, The Oklahoman newspaper reported Wednesday.

That newspaper reported that it “submitted questions to Hunter on Tuesday night about an extramarital affair that the newspaper confirmed through people familiar with the situation.”
    “The sources said the affair was with a state employee, who did not work in the attorney general’s office,” The Oklahoman reported.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Cena took a stand against going to Saudi Arabia after the Kashoggi killing ordered by MBS, if I recall.

So between that and his work with Make a Wish and how vocal he was about supporting the troops during both Iraq & Afghanistan, he's normally on the right side of things... it would be sad to see him not take the high ground against China given their human rights abuses against the Uyghurs and their stance on Hong Kong.

Can't get it right all the time, I suppose. It's just disappointing.
    There are a lot of people who are otherwise on the right side of things who won't touch the China/Taiwan thing. China apparently has quite a bit of pull in Hollywood as well as in Washington.
    Watching television is not an activity.

I guess it takes China to finally get Cena to put somebody over.

Am I in the wrestling or politics thread!?

"Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Just when you thought the GQP couldn't possibly sink any lower, they find new depths to plumb, and this is as barbaric and inhumane as it gets. I'm ashamed, though not surprised Qpublican asshats from my state dreamed up this madness. Like WBE said, Governor Tom Wolf will veto this nonsense quick, fast and in a hurry, but these fiends will keep on trying. This isn't about pro-life, never was, never will be, the objective is control over a woman's body, plain and simple, and the GQP will stop at nothing to achieve it.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Isn't it the stated policy of both mainland China and Taiwan that in fact Taiwan is not a separate country? It always used to be the case that both governments claimed that there was a single China; they just disagreed about which one was its legitimate government. Taiwan has never asserted that it is independent, has it?

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I guess it takes China to finally get Cena to put somebody over.

Am I in the wrestling or politics thread!?

The list is like... China and AJ Styles.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

American Workers Earn About Half What They Deserve

Still, it is hard to fathom how unbalanced the situation really is. Last fall, the RAND Corporation released a groundbreaking study that documented the full extent of the income shift since the early 1970s to the wealthiest Americans.

A full-time worker currently earning the national median wage of $50,000 would be making close to $100,000 now — if the country’s economic growth had continued to be shared over the last 45 years the way it was in the decades after World War II.

This income transfer has had a devastating impact on workers at all levels — the poor, the working class, the middle class and even parts of the upper-middle class — making it harder to pay the rent, put groceries on the table and raise a family. It has also left tens of millions of Americans vulnerable to surprise expenses like the breakdown of their vehicle or unexpected medical expenses. In the big picture, the loss of relative income has affected people’s ability to pay fast rising housing costs, buy homes, pay off old mortgages or even fend off bankruptcy.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I agree. I'm just steamed at punishing people for miscarriages cause you're so absorbed in "pro-life" bullshit that you ignore not all pregnancies are going to be successful anyway.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Did your mom ever recover from it mentally?

I ask because my mother had 3 between my sister and I (we're seven years apart) and she's still not over it in her 70s.

The legislation is just sick, sick, sick.
    Honestly... I don't know.

She lived a very rough life, and to be honest, I think dealing with those only stressed her out even worse. She never sought help about it, either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Isn't it the stated policy of both mainland China and Taiwan that in fact Taiwan is not a separate country? It always used to be the case that both governments claimed that there was a single China; they just disagreed about which one was its legitimate government. Taiwan has never asserted that it is independent, has it?
    It's true that there are some blurred issues but the point is that Cena didn't apologize to Taiwan, he apologized to China reflexively and de-facto affirmed PRC's claim over Taiwan, which the Taiwanese people emphatically do not accept.

Tsai-Ing Wen the current President of Taiwan (and a social democrat) was re-elected in 2020 and she has said that she considers Taiwan an independent country and that she doesn't want to reunify with China under its current system, especially after Hong Kong. So she has a mandate and is super-popular in Taiwan right now. Taiwanese would like to reunite with China, but they don't want to trade a democracy for a one-party totalitarian state no matter the fact that the people share a common language and culture. That's just a hard-pass.

At the same time, there are factions inside Taiwan, oligarchical factions who'd probably trade democracy in favor of capitalist bribes from the CCP, and there's potential fifth-columnists there, but they're not open to activation. Geopolitically, the best scenario for China would be to start a civil war in Taiwan and make sure the pro-China faction won and then submitted to joining China but Taiwan has experienced stable democracy for some thirty years now and that's not on the table. Xi Jinping is an impatient guy who wants to be Deng and Mao combined, and he's looking for a history-defining achievement, and integrating Hong Kong and Taiwan would give him one over his predecessors since it would restore China to a Pre-Opium Wars, Pre-Sino Japanese War status-quo. So that's why he's making many aggressive moves thanks to Trump f--king up and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    American Workers Earn About Half What They Deserve

Still, it is hard to fathom how unbalanced the situation really is. Last fall, the RAND Corporation released a groundbreaking study that documented the full extent of the income shift since the early 1970s to the wealthiest Americans.

A full-time worker currently earning the national median wage of $50,000 would be making close to $100,000 now — if the country’s economic growth had continued to be shared over the last 45 years the way it was in the decades after World War II.

This income transfer has had a devastating impact on workers at all levels — the poor, the working class, the middle class and even parts of the upper-middle class — making it harder to pay the rent, put groceries on the table and raise a family. It has also left tens of millions of Americans vulnerable to surprise expenses like the breakdown of their vehicle or unexpected medical expenses. In the big picture, the loss of relative income has affected people’s ability to pay fast rising housing costs, buy homes, pay off old mortgages or even fend off bankruptcy.
    Somewhere, Bernie Sanders is thinking "Hey... I Coulda Told You That..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    That's one side of the coin...

On the other side?

There actually are folks that believe that life begins at conception and that we all actually have a soul.

Accounting for that, is it that hard to buy into that they see terminating a pregnancy as a barbaric act?

Before the whole "Look, It's A Republican!..." bit kicks in?

I'm saying that as a child of a rape survivor who would not have though less of his mother if she had changed her mind about deciding to have kids years later and terminated that pregnancy.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Somewhere, Bernie Sanders is thinking "Hey... I Coulda Told You That..."
    Elizabeth Warren had made the connection between productivity and wages during her first few months in the Senate.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/eliza...wage_n_2900984
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I think I'll be moving him into the queue at some point by the end of 2022 (I really, really wish some of these ass-clowns would stop getting re-elected so I can wrap the project up).
    This is the queue that never ends, it goes on and on, my friend. You started profiling loons not knowing what it'd become and continue it forever just because...