Page 373 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 2733233633693703713723733743753763773834234738731373 ... LastLast
Results 5,581 to 5,595 of 75153
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I think that's a little unfair. I think it boils down to reliance on trope as a short-hand versus any real difficulty doing so in media. The revolution isn't really talked about itself at all and is simply used as a way to talk about *some other thing*.

We understood they overthrew their king, hear 'let them eat cake', and think about poor Marie Antoinette because those are the popular images of the revolution. 'The Reign of Terror' is definitely almost never really gone into beyond the most general idea of it like what PwrdOn had in this here thread. 'Oh so they killed a bunch of aristocrats who probably deserved it'.

The sheer chaos surrounding the revolution, with armies marching towards Paris, is harder for us to grasp, I think.
    Actually, in the western Anglo-phone world, I’d say a Tale of Two Cities, the Scarlet Pimpernel, and other references to the French Revolution often embrace its bloodier, Terror-centered aspects as well, and a surface level perusal always ends with Napoleon’s rise.

In general, I think it’s understood that it began “well” then ended “badly.” It’s the how and the why between the two that is difficult to get on screen. Stuff like the Terror, the bread riots, Napoleon’s rise to power, and the see-saw power struggle between royalists and revolutionaries is frankly too nuanced and too human. In a social contract theory of the period, it might be accurate to surmise that everyone who signed the contract wound up getting screwed over by other signees, until eventually the entire generation pretty much needed to pass away in order for a new beginning.

I mean, the Ancien Regime sucked hard. In *EVERY* way. It needed to go, and there was an entire hierarchy that needed to go with it. It’s just that there was no easy way to do that, and the guys who pulled it off turned in each other in the end.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Actually, in the western Anglo-phone world, I’d say a Tale of Two Cities, the Scarlet Pimpernel, and other references to the French Revolution often embrace its bloodier, Terror-centered aspects as well, and a surface level perusal always ends with Napoleon’s rise.

In general, I think it’s understood that it began “well” then ended “badly.” It’s the how and the why between the two that is difficult to get on screen. Stuff like the Terror, the bread riots, Napoleon’s rise to power, and the see-saw power struggle between royalists and revolutionaries is frankly too nuanced and too human. In a social contract theory of the period, it might be accurate to surmise that everyone who signed the contract wound up getting screwed over by other signees, until eventually the entire generation pretty much needed to pass away in order for a new beginning.

I mean, the Ancien Regime sucked hard. In *EVERY* way. It needed to go, and there was an entire hierarchy that needed to go with it. It’s just that there was no easy way to do that, and the guys who pulled it off turned in each other in the end.
    Why is it that so many of these "common man," revolts wind up devolving into something just as bad as what they topple. I think it's because they tend to be so emotionally driven, and aimless, once you dig past generalities.

If they don't morph into dictatorship, they tend to collapse horribly. I often like to think about stuff like the "occupy movement, and the Arab Spring. I feel the way those movements fell apart proves how unorganized they were. They seemed more like emotional outbursts, then political movements sometimes. I think it's because leftwing movements tend to be very fractured. Oddly their greatest strength (diversity) can be their greatest weakness. A group of many peoples, often with different values, trying to form a coalition.

Oh, certainly, but I wouldn't call those things products of modern, mainstream American/Canadian media, which I'd presumed you meant and was the context of my reply to you.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Why is it that so many of these "common man," revolts wind up devolving into something just as bad as what they topple. I think it's because they tend to be so emotionally driven, and aimless, once you dig past generalities.

If they don't morph into dictatorship, they tend to collapse horribly. I often like to think about stuff like the "occupy movement, and the Arab Spring. I feel the way those movements fell apart proves how unorganized they were. They seemed more like emotional outbursts, then political movements sometimes. I think it's because leftwing movements tend to be very fractured. Oddly their greatest strength (diversity) can be their greatest weakness. A group of many peoples, often with different values, trying to form a coalition.
    Zealotry, of course, is a primary driver behind that transformation. Certainty can easily lead to monstrosity.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 07-06-2020 at 10:40 PM.

ICE, finding new ways to inflict cruelty in the midst of a Pandemic.

Abolish it.

International students could be forced out of the country if they take too many online only courses this fall — even though many universities are planning on using remote education to slow the spread of COVID-19.

The requirement could pressure international students to transfer to schools that are still planning on holding classes in-person despite the coronavirus pandemic.

“Nonimmigrant F-1 and M-1 students attending schools operating entirely online may not take a full online course load and remain in the United States,” Immigration and Customs Enforcement announced in a press release Monday, referring to the visa classifications for academic and vocational students.

“Active students currently in the United States enrolled in such programs must depart the country or take other measures, such as transferring to a school with in-person instruction to remain in lawful status,” ICE’s announcement added.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/i...ommentsWrapper

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The economy is in the toilet, millions are out of work while 130,000 and counting died from the virus Trump intentionally slow walked in the beginning and now appears to have walked away from. Hate and fear is all he has left to sell to his gullible base.
    They're so lost, and it's so bad their plan now is just telling us to live with it, get numb to the death, and if they stop talking about it, hopefully we just forget about it.

I don't care what your personal politics are, this administration is just incompetent. All of them have no business being in the offices they're in.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    They're so lost, and it's so bad their plan now is just telling us to live with it, get numb to the death, and if they stop talking about it, hopefully we just forget about it.

I don't care what your personal politics are, this administration is just incompetent. All of them have no business being in the offices they're in.
    In fairness, that's been the conservative answer to all our problems for years now. It's why they don't even want us to have the language to be able to describe a problem in the first place. If you lack the language to be able to identify a problem or describe it, then there IS no problem!

And they never did. From the jump.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Stephen Miller definitely found a kindred spirit.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MaddowBlo...067611136?s=19

In both 2015, as well as 2016, "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" published profiles of Christopher Shank, a former Maryland State Senator who in his time in the Maryland State Assembly, opposed LGBTQ rights in every way, shape, and form, fighting against authorizing same sex marriages for years, even to the extent that he wanted same sex partners banned from being allowed to visit their loved ones in the hospital or be allowed decision making into their loved ones' well being. What got him special notice was arguing against a transgender discrimination bill because while he did acknowledge they were discriminated against... he thought that minority groups that faced discrimination would then start coming forward, and also want to be protected. He also voted numerous times over the past several years against minimum wage increases, and even voted against the repeal of an outdated part of the Maryland state Constitution that barred atheists from holding public office, saying that it was "a little offensive" him as a Christian to even suggest doing so. When we last reported on Shank, he was serving in Gov. Larry Hogan's administration in the Office of Crime Control and Prevention and has not yet shown any sign that he will be running for an elected office in the near future, mercifully.

On this date in 2017, 2018, as well as 2019, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” published profiles of Clay Higgins, the U.S. House Representative from Louisiana’s 3rd Congressional District after an improbable win in the 2016 elections where he finished second in the “jungle primary”, but came from behind to defeat fellow Republican Scott Angelle with 56% of the vote. That won Higgins, a guy nicknamed “the Cajun John Wayne”, the right to go to Washington, D.C. and replace Congressman Charles Boustany, (whose own bid for U.S. Senate failed, due to the unsavory rumors about him soliciting prostitutes that popped up).

Anyway, when we say that Clay Higgins’ victory in the 2016 elections was improbable, we aren’t joking around. Scott Angelle was considered a favorite in that race for months, and as of February of 2016, Higgins was still serving as a sheriff in St. Landry Parish, making appearances on the “Crime Stoppers” show where he would not just ask the community for help in finding felons, but would start berating and mocking them in segments on the show. That got him some notoriety, particularly from the right, because over time, Higgins’ rants started to get… well, a little alarming, and kind of racist. So, of course he had a few guest spots on Fox and Friends in 2015. But as Higgins continued to get more and more over-the-top in his segments on Crime Stoppers, he went viral when he asked for help with “The Gremlins gang”, seventeen individuals who just so happened to be African Americans who he referred to as “heathens”, “thugs” and “animals” while threatening them to turn themselves in with a contingent of officers in SWAT gear and with rifles because, "You will be hunted, you will be tracked. And if you raise your weapon to a man like me, we'll return fire with superior fire."

Making things even more troubling was that the seventeen men had their annoyed families come forward to wonder why the hell the Cajun John Wayne was threatening their loved ones, because they weren’t even aware of their family being in any “Gremlins” gang, saying that it may have been referring to an attempt by some of them to start a rap group years earlier. Higgins tried defending the police’s information on the “gang” by saying his department had “read it on the internet”, which sounds a lot like Donald Trump, come to think of it. Oh, he also insisted his video wasn’t racist because each of the officers in it also was standing near an African American community leader (similar to the “we have black friends” defense).

Well, after his boss let Higgins know he’d gone too far, he gave a public resignation, saying he “don’t do well reined in” and that he would “rather die” than sacrifice his principles by… I guess conducting himself professionally? Fox and Friends and other right-wing allies began to rally around poor, poor Clay Higgins for having his free speech quelled (even though the First Amendment doesn’t allow you the right to speak without punishment from your employer on television while representing them). He parlayed the criticism against him into being the victim and started his campaign for Congress instead.

And then, once Clay Higgins advanced to the final two in the GOP Primary, partially due to receiving a large contribution from fellow fascist-lunatic and former Congressman Allen West, the local media started doing its job, and digging at the sudden political star that could end up in Washington, D.C. They noted that back in 2007, Clay Higgins previously had resigned from the Opelousas Police Department to avoid receiving disciplinary measures after he was accused of using excessive force, and giving false statements in the ensuing investigation. But even more damning was when a public records request was made with the Lafayette County Sheriff’s Office that discovered Higgins wasn’t just dismissed because of the “Gremlins Gang” video… his superiors had become appalled at how Higgins had begun trying to exploit his appearances on Crime Stoppers as a new means of getting revenue, using government e-mail to sell mugs and t-shirts with his likeness to fans of the show, and book himself on whatever talk shows would have him on to appear… as long as they paid him in cash. The “cash preferred” nature of his bookings was because Higgins had the IRS garnishing money from his wages to pay back taxes and keeping payments off the books would prevent the IRS from getting their hands on it. Higgins even had dreams of appearing on his own reality show called “American Justice” where they would carry out SWAT raids, with him leading the charge, and talking trash to the crooks as they brought them in.

Okay… so that’s a month before the election. There’s Scott Angelle, a moderate Republican, and Clay Higgins, an arguably pretty racist, over-aggressive, fame-seeking, wannabe-fascist nut who seems to want to evade paying taxes. In 2016… that’s the same formula that got Donald Trump elected, and Louisiana’s 3rd followed suit when presented with the same kind of candidate to represent them in the U.S. House of Representatives. Higgins’ website featured issue stances that were a hot bed of crazy, including an argument against all gun control because it didn’t really exist prior to the 1960s (it did, and a need from rifles available to the public tending more towards the semi-automatic and automatic), and referring to the Affordable Care Act as follows:
    2,800 pages of unintelligible psychobabble. It’s the most egregious seizure of power and treasure from the American people in history. It’s the worst idea in an elaborate history of bad ideas. It’s a book of lies, based on lies, sold by liars. Obamacare must be repealed. Period.”
    Now, here’s the thing… the “Gremlins gang” video was a pretty clear indicator that Clay Higgins might be a bit of a bigot, and that he would overreact to threats. Well, if anyone had any doubts of if that was a fluke, we can be pretty sure it isn’t now, because after a terror attack in London in June 2017, Clay Higgins responded a day later by calling for Christendom to go to war against “Radical Islam”, and giving the level-headed assessment that we should just “kill them all.

Last edited by worstblogever; 07-07-2020 at 01:40 PM.

Rep. Higgins made no apologies after people were shocked, and blamed the negativity on his comments on “political correctness”. Because of course he did. He still wasn't done, though. In 2018, he drew the ire of Jewish groups by filming a political video in the Auschwitz gas chambers without the permission of the museum, using the symbol of the Holocaust as a prop to defend his desire to increase United States military spending. Jewish leaders were, predictably, not pleased. On the upside, for all their long-standing grievances, at least Muslims and Jews can come together and agree, Clay Higgins is an ***hole.

Since Clay Higgins arrived in Congress, he's also outed himself as a climate change denier in August of 2017, Louisiana’s 3rd District choosing an “outsider” has not served them well, and even outside of his voting record. So far this term, Higgins has yet to learn his lesson about making ridiculous and inappropriate comparisons to World War II (as if the Auschwitz video wasn’t enough of a teaching moment), deciding to announce in the middle of a hearing on immigration where Democrats were grilling Kirjsten Nielsen for her family separation policy by declaring that “We have D-Day every month on our southern border.

That was slightly a better job than Higgins did than in the Michael Cohen hearing, when he tried to snare Cohen in a “gotcha” moment and only snagged his own ass for about ten minutes straight, obsessively asking Cohen “WHAR BOXES?” in regards to evidence Cohen had returned to him by federal investigators that he brought documents before the House Intelligence Committee for. (And thus making us all ask if Clay Higgins has been placed on the House Intelligence Committee ironically.) Higgins was of course, more apoplectic about the location of these boxes than the fact that what was contained in them detailed a series of financial crimes by Donald Trump, because of course he was.

Which isn’t to say Higgins, the “Cajun John Wayne” has been on top of crimes committed by people within his own party, or even his own orbit. He was apparently unaware that one of his top aides liked to frequent massage parlors where victims of human trafficking were prostituting themselves for sexual favors. No word on if Higgins is planning an episode of Crime Stoppers for the rest of his staff.

Anyway, his voting record is equally as embarrassing thus far in this term of Congress:

Clay Higgins is currently being a counter-productive imbecile during the Covid-19 pandemic, declaring face masks as “bacteria traps” in a CNN interview on May 28th, and claimed that masks don’t work because “you can smell through them”. Higgins has been calling for the country to “re-open” since March. Unless, of course, you want to protest police violence carried out by brutal, vicious cops like Higgins, in which case he’d like you to disperse and go home.

No racism or hypocrisy there. Nope, none at all.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Try selling that to the families of victims who died from the virus, not to mention the rest of the populace, perpetually worried they might contract COVID. That's a tough road to hoe for Republicans.

I'd say it's more, MUCH more in the way of cruelty than incompetence. Sure, there's been plenty of stupidity from the administration, but, at the end of the day, they choose to be malicious to anyone and everyone, and that's not by accident.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Oh yeah, they're absolute monsters.

Trumps presidency has been nothing but cruelty from day one. Remember way back in the before times when they were just taking food away from poor, hungry children? Ah, how quaint it all was.

This is two weeks old, but some positive news that isn't really discussed right now is that the United States has had a decline in poverty during COVID-19, largely due to all the relief programs.

https://money.yahoo.com/us-poverty-d...170035995.html

The coronavirus pandemic prompted an unprecedented decline in economic activity, with millions of job losses hitting low-income households particularly hard. But during those challenging times, over 6 million Americans have been lifted out of poverty, thanks to increased government support.

The poverty rate declined by 2.6 percentage points from 10.9% in January and February before the pandemic started to 8.3% in April and May when millions of jobs were already lost due to the outbreak, according to a new paper by the Becker Friedman Institute at the University of Chicago. In the last 20 years, there’s been only one decline larger than 1 percentage point.

“It’s enormous for a month or two,” said Bruce Meyer, professor at the University of Chicago Harris School of Public Policy and co-author of the paper.

The decrease in poverty is driven by the government’s response to the pandemic and the distribution of stimulus checks and additional unemployment benefits under the CARES Act.

“These are unprecedented transfers from the government to household income,” said James Sullivan, professor at the University of Notre Dame and co-author of the paper. “Nearly $260 billion to households in the U.S. and the unemployment insurance program provided more than $140 billion in April and May.”

In addition to the declining poverty level, personal income was also up more than 10% in April and some Americans are getting closer to earning a living wage than before, but the supports that made this happen — mainly stimulus checks and unemployment benefits — were one-time or set to expire soon. That means all those gains may be lost.

“That's a sizable decline in poverty, but there's a lot of questions around whether it will persist,” Sullivan said. “More than all of it is driven by the government response, some of that which was temporary in the form of one-time payments, and the expansion of weekly unemployment insurance benefits expires at the end of July.”
    This can change, as we're living in unprecedented and unpredictable times. There are also still serious concerns about the economy, and how well the country can function going forward, with so many people not allowed to go to work (and the likelihood of massive waves of illness if everyone does go to work.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

The way that it's always presented in American textbooks, our revolution is the nice and clean one that achieved all of its objectives without much fuss, whereas the French Revolution was the crazy one that went off completely off the rails and ended up overthrowing a king only to crown an emperor. Of course, this is a pretty typical oversimplification, because regardless of how autocratic Napoleon may have been, it's an oversimplification to claim that his rule was somehow worse than what the people had endured under the Louises. The revolution enshrined a whole new set of ideas and reforms within society and really created our modern conception of politics as the struggle between competing sets of ideological principles, rather than just the endless feudal conflict between the interests of different groups of wealthy people who couldn't give less of a crap about right and wrong. It also forced just about every other country in Europe to take notice and start to implement pre-emptive reforms of their own lest they find themselves on the chopping block as well. By contrast, the American Revolution wasn't so much a revolution as it was just a change in management. In some ways, the new government was actually more tyrannical than the one they had thrown off, because it endorsed a more aggressive policy of expansion on the Western frontier, clearing natives out of their land to make room for plantations. And it's difficult to imagine America becoming a proper modern nation without absorbing many of those Enlightenment influences first brought to the forefront by the French. There's a lot to learn from the French Revolution, but the lesson to take away from it is certainly not "oh well lots of people ended up dying so let's not ever try anything like that and just hope that things get better on their own."
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 07-07-2020 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I'm sure he has no idea either. The cynic in me suspects this is nothing more than a publicity stunt to bolster sales of an upcoming album. That fool needs to just go away.

====================

Trump Blames China For COVID-19 Spread At Crowded Independence Day Celebration

The president, who was not wearing a mask, claimed without evidence that 99% of U.S. coronavirus cases are “totally harmless” at the National Mall event. Meanwhile....

More Than 11 Million Coronavirus Cases Confirmed Worldwide

The latest grim milestone follows several record-setting days in the U.S.

Betsy Ross, Jackie Robinson And Antonin Scalia — Trump Seeks “Garden of American Heroes”

President Trump has proposed a monument featuring 30-plus figures from American history, at a time when many Americans are grappling with tributes to controversial icons of the past. A diversion from the statues of LOSERS from the Confederacy still standing.

Ivanka Trump’s ‘Gaslighting’ Fourth of July Coronavirus Advice Backfires

“The absolute and total lack of shame is breathtaking. Just an utter inability to hear herself,” one Twitter user responded. Well, that comes from the fact that Ms. Complicit, just like dear daddy, don't give a **** about the virus.

Is Congress Ready For QAnon?

The Republican Party has a conspiracy cult problem. And it’s not going away. Those nutbags make Tea Partiers look sane.

Critics Mock Trump For Choking On ‘Totalitarianism’ In Mount Rushmore Diatribe

“He used OUR Independence Day to tell a majority of our country that we are not welcome here in America,” snapped one.
    QAnon might be going away just because these lunatics generally believe that Trump is playing some kind of game that ends in the arrest of all the evildoers in the deep state.

If Trump loses the election, I'd imagine QAnon support will be the equivalent to believing the world will end in 2012, or that George W Bush is going to be a Hitlerian fascist. Some diehards will stick around, but most will be disappointed.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets