Page 380 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 2803303703763773783793803813823833843904304808801380 ... LastLast
Results 5,686 to 5,700 of 75153
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMan View Post
    I know there is going to be a LARGE chunk of minority communities who will refuse to take it

and not surprising as the medical profession tends to inadvertently harm minority communities
    I am not anti-vax at all. But, I am concerned with the Operation Warp Speed process in general. I'll need to know way more about the Fast Track process and understand what process and testing etc. they skipped to speed it up.

And that will be a lot of people I imagine having the same concerns. I sure as hell am not going to get it cause the trump administration says its ready assuming its before he's out of office.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMan View Post
    I had the Jeep, the Motorcycle, and the T Bird
    I desperately wanted the T-Bird.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    This will mean fewer patents and fewer Nobel prizes for the US in the future.
    That order is already being challenged in the courts. Unless it moves through the courts at warp speed, it's likely that it wouldn't be decided until after the election. And in the meantime, I'd think the courts would put the order on hold. If all of that happens, and Biden wins in November, he'll simply reverse that order.

Surprised he didn't sample from Howard the Duck and run as a member of the 'All-Night Party'.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Because the GOP was following Trump's lead when he intentionally slow walked the government's initial response to the virus because he feared it would negatively affect his reelection chances, then called it a hoax created by Democrats. Even something as simple as wearing a mask was turned into a mess because Trump steadfastly refused to wear one (the cynic in me suspects that's because he worried that the orange **** he slathers on his face would rub off on one). The GOP and right wingers looked at what Trump had done and decided his way was the right way, even though it was the wrong way in every sense of the word, and that's why things are so screwed up today.

It's not cynical. We can see that orange **** rubbing off on his collar every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    What will happen when large segments refuse to take the vaccine when it’s available?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    I am not anti-vax at all. But, I am concerned with the Operation Warp Speed process in general. I'll need to know way more about the Fast Track process and understand what process and testing etc. they skipped to speed it up.

And that will be a lot of people I imagine having the same concerns. I sure as hell am not going to get it cause the trump administration says its ready assuming its before he's out of office.
    That is a good point. And now I'm worried about taking the first vaccine that is released.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Sam Acho’s plan to convert an Austin liquor store to a food mart gets the backing of Mayor Lori Lightfoot and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell

NFL linebacker Sam Acho and other local athletes have continued their mission to help Chicago’s Austin neighborhood by buying a liquor store they plan to turn into a grocery store.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot and police Superintendent David Brown attended an event Tuesday at the site of the future store. The athletes raised $500,000 so they could convert the liquor store to a food mart after learning about the food desert in Austin last month.
    The idea came about last month when Acho recruited several local pro athletes to meet with Chicago children and police officers to discuss the country’s protests against racism. Part of the day, held in conjunction with By the Hand Kids Club, included a bus tour of Austin when a local teenager asked that they see the day as more than a field trip.

The conversations with the kids moved the athletes to try to create change in the neighborhood.
    While that article is kind of vague on that specific aspect, it is kind of odd to buy into that the folks mentioned were not aware that there was a food desert in Austin until last month.

Great that they are stepping in and getting involved, but how would you not know anything about that?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    While that article is kind of vague on that specific aspect, it is kind of odd to buy into that the folks mentioned were not aware that there was a food desert in Austin until last month.

Great that they are stepping in and getting involved, but how would you not know anything about that?
    Because they weren't paying attention or looking close enough. It's hard to see the desert when you live in an Oasis of wealth and luxury.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    So what were those parents doing all the OTHER months when schools were closed???

FYI to everybody-Trump can toss out that threat but for most school districts that federal funding boils down to at least 10% of a school district's budget.

Those fedearl programs include free lunch, some special education aides, bilingual programs and a few other programs.

Also it's not his place to decide on a school district opening-that falls to the state level.

While a school district like Allen ISD could careless about federal funding as it doesn't that much. Some schools in Chicago it would be an issues at some schools.

Excluding Texas-Teachers can strike and stay home.

Also social distancing can not be done at a large school.

Dallas Skyline has 6000 kids. Let that sink in.

I went to an ART school-dance, visual arts, music and theater can't do social distancing.

A lot of classes are not just sitting at a desk. The school I work at now-those kids cook, run a restaurant, do dry cleaning, learn about child care, build stuff and visit/ go to work in retail or hotels.

And school districts like mine are MIGRATE where kids move around.
    Parents have had a variety of options during scheduled breaks like summer vacation. However, some of those options are unavailable when we also have shelter in place orders.

Even though kids have always had summers, and already lost the last few months of the school year, it doesn't have to reason that a few more months without in-person instruction is going to be fine. It might end up being necessary, but it would be a terrible outcome.

There are some options they're considering to make social distancing better, like having groups of students come in on different days.

That's a positive idea. It also brings attention to something that will be helpful to the community.

Look, I understand that parents are hamstrung if they can't go to work if their kids are stuck at home, and that kids aren't getting the full schooling experience while at home, I get all that. But, the virus is still out there, it hasn't gone away, hell, there's still a threat of a second surge of cases, if there's no rock solid guidance to protect kids and teachers if schools are reopened, then nothing changes from the way things are right now.

Well, of course Trump made it a partisan issue, he wasn't about to go in any other direction. In his warped world, if you don't kiss his ass, you're the enemy, no compromise, no second chance, no shades of gray.
    On this, we seem to largely be in agreement that it sucks that schools are closed, there are significant tradeoffs to reopening the schools, and that Trump is making things worse by the way he's inserting himself into the argument, as well as the lack of guidance for local jurisdictions.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Because they weren't paying attention or looking close enough. It's hard to see the desert when you live in an Oasis of wealth and luxury.
    Could be.

It's just that the reality of that there are food deserts in a lot of Chicago neighborhoods is like the reality that people regularly get shot in a lot of Chicago neighborhoods.

Kind of hard to buy into that even folks who were actually attempting to stay unaware could do so.

Oh, brother Kanye... .. part white evangelical claptrap, part hotep claptrap, part only-child-with-too-much-time-on-his-hands-claptrap.. sheesh. Just absolutely ridiculous. Not going to be helpful for anyone except himself.

Which is why I suggested that other states may wait and watch for a time before deciding to head in that direction. I think it's a very good direction to head in, however, it is a somewhat new idea and implementation could run into a few speed bumps or potholes.

By the end of 2021, assuming that Biden is elected, this will probably spread through the country or it might be made national.
    There is a question of how necessary it is, considering that filing a false report is already a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Its going to backfire majorly. What people don't realize is that people call 911 all the time about people just existing regardless of race. Its just that you only hear about it when there is a racism angle.

For instance, just a sampling of calls I've gone on and in each one of these the "suspects" were white or unknown race:

- "There is a strange car parked in front of my house and no one has gotten out." I'm worried they are casing my house and going to break in." This one happens constantly. The most recent one I went on was a white girl who had pulled over to take an important cell phone call as she didn't have bluetooth and its illegal to talk on the cell phone while driving.

- "Someone knocked at my door and I'm too scared to go see who it is." This call happens CONSTANTLY. They don't even know that its anything bad at the door, they literally feel like they have to call 911 because they got an unexpected knock at the door.

- "There are two people breaking into my neighbors house and I think the neighbors are on vacation." The people were in fact the homeowners adult daughter and husband and they "broke in" with a key and were there to feed the cats while the parents were on vacation.

I could go on but the fact is that daily every cop goes on these kinds of bullshit calls where there is no crime and some busy body exaggerates facts or makes up facts about what is happening. Most of the time it has nothing to do with race, its just someone being a Karen, someone being mentally ill (the paranoid ones who can't even peek out their window to see who is at the door), or people being cautious.

Lets take the example I gave of the adult daughter there to feed the cats. What if she had been black? Is she a victim under this new law? Or do you want your neighbors looking out for your house while your gone? What if they had actually in fact been burglars? Most happen in the daytime and many go in through the front door as this is actually less suspicious. Many are not going to be as obvious as Central Park Karen who on video was making up stuff about the guy birdwatching.
    Some of these are BS calls that should be discouraged. If there's a knock on your door, that's not cause for calling the cops.

But you do have a good point that it's going to be hard to prove that there's an explicit racial angle.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    These are all different from the "I'm white and I'm afraid of the black person I'm harassing" calls that Karens keep making.
    Will prosecutors guided to put more Karens in jail always make that distinction?

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    The sun might burn out tomorrow. I wouldn't waste anyone's time on the forum arguing that something that highly unlikely might, nor be silly enough to pretend it was.

Or get angry and start pretending that the people who call out silly things that might happen are somehow wrong for not letting me have my ridiculous fantasies about what might happen. There are bigger things to worry about, like how the Republican Party is now full of white nationalists, and their presidential ticket is running on a campaign of white grievances and white nationalism, for example.

But some folks like to overlook that because they still think it's a thing that maybe they might worry about at some point. I've stopped expecting them to.
    The possibility of the eventual diminishment of a political movement that spun off of the idea that Trump is doing some big heroic stuff behind the scenes is fortunately higher than the possibility that the sun will burn out tomorrow.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Oh, brother Kanye... .. part white evangelical claptrap, part hotep claptrap, part only-child-with-too-much-time-on-his-hands-claptrap.. sheesh. Just absolutely ridiculous. Not going to be helpful for anyone except himself.
    It probably doesn't help him either.

Could be.

It's just that the reality of that there are food deserts in a lot of Chicago neighborhoods is like the reality that people regularly get shot in a lot of Chicago neighborhoods.

Kind of hard to buy into that even folks who were actually attempting to stay unaware could do so.
    While people were aware of food deserts, getting a celebrity involved is a way to get more attention and support to this specific store, which might help avoids the pitfalls of someone with a lower profile doing the same thing.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post

I agree with this. Anyone who thinks Trump isn’t pressuring companies to speed up production of the vaccine because he thinks it’ll save his ass come November hasn’t been paying attention. Just like with computer software, you don’t jump onboard to use a Beta version of something as crucial as a vaccine.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I agree with this. Anyone who thinks Trump isn’t pressuring companies to speed up production of the vaccine because he thinks it’ll save his ass come November hasn’t been paying attention. Just like with computer software, you don’t jump onboard to use a Beta version of something as crucial as a vaccine.
    What if not using the software could get me killed?

Totally get not having much faith in government/Big Pharma. Plenty of meds that go through the whole nine yards as far as testing before they hit the market still wind up having issues.

All that said, this is a situation where the thing is shifting back up into a higher gear and I don't even see solid "Treatment..." options for the groups of people that it will hit hard/kill.

At some point, you've got to realistically weigh a situation where you can not even be aware that you have something and are transmitting it versus what you think could be wrong with a vaccine.

What if not using the software could get me killed?

Totally get not having much faith in government/Big Pharma. Plenty of meds that go through the whole nine yards as far as testing before they hit the market still wind up having issues.

All that said, this is a situation where the thing is shifting back up into a higher gear and I don't even see solid "Treatment..." options for the groups of people that it will hit hard/kill.

At some point, you've got to realistically weigh a situation where you can not even be aware that you have something and are transmitting it versus what you think could be wrong with a vaccine.
    There's a healthy middle ground. Given this is a world wide pandemic any Vaccine that comes from Big Pharma is likely to get a good deal of scrutiny from other western powers. If it it's approved for world wide use, happy days. If not, well skepticism is more firmly justified.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There is a question of how necessary it is, considering that filing a false report is already a crime.

Some of these are BS calls that should be discouraged. If there's a knock on your door, that's not cause for calling the cops.
    And yet, none of that has gotten people charged (beyond Cooper) for it and black men are still killed by weaponized reporting.

I think we should spare our concern for the black men unjustly murdered before anything else.

#Antimaskers
    #Antivaxxers
    #Covididiots
    #___Karens

Knuckleheads
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

‘They’ll Kill Me’: Transcripts Show George Floyd Pleaded For Air More Than 20 Times

“It takes a heck of a lot of oxygen to talk,” Minneapolis officer Derek Chauvin told Floyd before he died. Chauvin and three other cops have been fired and charged. There was NO need for this horrible incident to have happened....PERIOD!

Republican Group’s New Ad Hits GOP Senators Who ‘Chose Trump’ Over America

“Learn their names. Remember their actions. And never, ever trust them again,” The Lincoln Project video warns. Lincoln Project pulled ZERO punches with this latest ad!

Trump’s Florida Convention Could Be The First That Actually Helps Lose A State

Trump yanked the Republican convention from North Carolina because it wouldn’t let him give a speech to a packed house. Now coronavirus is spiking in Florida.

Only Policing Probe Launched By Trump DOJ Finds ‘Routine’ Excessive Force, Lying

Narcotics unit officers in Springfield, Massachusetts, likely engaged in a pattern or practice of excessive force, the Justice Department said.

Trump’s Tulsa Rally ‘Likely’ Source Of Coronavirus Surge: Health Official

Tulsa City-County Health Department Director Dr. Bruce Dart said the president’s campaign rally last month “likely contributed” to a dramatic surge in new COVID-19 cases. Big surprise, right?

GOP Rep. Becomes Weirdly Violent With Mask, Rants About Nazis In Bonkers Video

Louisiana state Rep. Danny McCormick claims people who don’t wear masks will be like Jews in Nazi Germany. Oh, WBEEEEEEEE....!
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 07-09-2020 at 01:30 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!