Page 61 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 1151575859606162636465711111615611061 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    The evidence is that "politically imcorrect" posts are what led to the reset of this forum.

Conversely there are far more complaints about "political correctness" than any real problems caused by those espousing it.

It's the equivalent of saying "antifa" whenever right-wing violence is addressed.
    People can simultaneously believe that liberals often go too far in the name of political correctness, and that some people go way too far in the other direction. The situation with the forum reset occurred because some people were threatening a guest contributor with rape and assault.

https://www.cbr.com/out-with-the-old...cbr-community/

We can all agree that that is disgusting. However, things that fall far short of that can still be considered politically incorrect.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Is trump basically saying that private companies deleting content they don't like from their platforms is illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Is trump basically saying that private companies deleting content they don't like from their platforms is illegal?
    No. He is only saying that deleting right wing content should be illegal. Deleting left wing content is something he would like to make mandatory under penalty of law.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    People can simultaneously believe that liberals often go too far in the name of political correctness, and that some people go way too far in the other direction. The situation with the forum reset occurred because some people were threatening a guest contributor with rape and assault.

We can all agree that that is disgusting. However, things that fall far short of that can still be considered politically incorrect.
    I remember when this happened. I never knew how bad it was til this post by Weiland then and it was wrong. I never ever attack creators on CBR or elsewhere. Its not right and that type of behavior I agree should have led to a reset of forums and all. I do remember how a lot of sweeping changes was kinda stupid though (force closing Rita's and smashing everyone together in a mega chat thread (which didn't last as now chat threads exist outside) , ruining the Classics Comics board and a bunch leaving). Now I liked to joke and push the line comically at times. My one critique was , how far in New CBR could I go with joking threads and what set of rules we had now ?

It was one of my deals , I like to joke around a lot and I didn't want to push things too far with New CBR then.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Spectacular Member Maine Starfish's Avatar

People can simultaneously believe that liberals often go too far in the name of political correctness
    what’s an example of someone going to far in the name of political correctness?

This is a loaded question in that it assumes a lot of things that have not quite been established. It's not meant to be taken literally or seriously.
    But it is established. The majority of Republicans today are exactly what WBE said they were. It doesn't matter that there are a few Republicans here and there who are respectable or that there were a lot of respectable Republicans decades ago. Both those facts are irrelevant to the question asked.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Ultimate Member

Except that you rarely if ever address said disgusting behavior within your party or on the "right" in general.

Instead you focus your criticism on the "left" and posit strawman arguments against "political correctness".

I'd even go so far as to say that many who rail against political correctness find that kind of behavior acceptable and even enjoyable as a visit to almost any non-moderated forum would quickly prove.

The constant "both sides" arguments don't hold up in the face of real evidence -- it's just more proof that you support Trump's ideologies more than you are willing to acknowledge.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-17-2020 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I don't know. Choice of luxury room, all you can eat, a view to die for. There are probably worse ways to isolate.
    Plus, he has no family to murder with an axe, which is a plus.

This is a loaded question in that it assumes a lot of things that have not quite been established. It's not meant to be taken literally or seriously.
    No, it's pretty well established by this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    But it is established. The majority of Republicans today are exactly what WBE said they were. It doesn't matter that there are a few Republicans here and there who are respectable or that there were a lot of respectable Republicans decades ago. Both those facts are irrelevant to the question asked.
    And a lot of those Republicans have left the party over the last few years, if not longer.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I was gone during the time of the reset but, from what I've heard, what happened here was not anti political correctness but downright rudeness, crudity and obnoxious behavior. To me, anti PC and I mean true anti PC is a reaction against a sub-culture that mines every word and thought for something to be construed as sexist, etc., basically hyper-sensitivity and actively looking for something to be offended by combined with the belief that your feeling of being offended should shut down all discussion of anything you don't agree with. When you are outright demeaning, insulting and threatening women, that is NOT being anti PC. That is being a sexist, belligerent jerk. The very idea of comparing what happened here to simply being anti PC is itself an illustration of the problem.
    It began over a woman columnist, forgot her name but she was awesome, outlined her disgust of a cover of Teen Titans (?) from a feminist perspective. People who wanted the fan service took this personally. Doxxed her, turned the forums into a war zone. Think of it as a precursor to Gamergate. That's why it's linked with "political correctness."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maine Starfish View Post
    what’s an example of someone going to far in the name of political correctness?
    Depends on who you are.

I would say going too far is pretty much saying anything a POC or LGBTQ does is because of PC.

Black panther winning Oscars is because it was a black movie and no one was brave enough to say they didn't like it. because no one wanted to be called racist.

Let take that cover issue that got the forum reset.

We get a rest over how Wonder Girl looked and how trolls went nuts after someone called out how sexualized we see many women. Funny thing is Dwayne McDuffie bought that up too with Dc censoring Static #25 over being too sexual yet that same month Legionaries had a white female showing her Kardashian behind.

Years later we saw that same issue again with Riri Williams-a variant by J Scott Campbell. Funny how folks behaved on that.

We have seen folks elsewhere throw fits towards how women should look. Netflix She Ra say HI. So does the black girl and fat girl on New Warriors. We even saw it done to Squirrel Girl and She Hulk. With comments of this is not how you drawn women.

It's a battle of all females should come in one shape and form.

Ultimate Member

Those who don't learn from their mistakes etc, etc.

-----
    "Political correctness: how the right invented a phantom enemy"

"For 25 years, invoking this vague and ever-shifting nemesis has been a favourite tactic of the right – and Donald Trump’s victory is its greatest triumph"

"...around a quarter of the American population elected a demagogue with no prior experience in public service to the presidency. In the eyes of many of his supporters, this lack of preparation was not a liability, but a strength. Donald Trump had run as a candidate whose primary qualification was that he was not “a politician”. Depicting yourself as a “maverick” or an “outsider” crusading against a corrupt Washington establishment is the oldest trick in American politics – but Trump took things further. He broke countless unspoken rules regarding what public figures can or cannot do and say.

Every demagogue needs an enemy. Trump’s was the ruling elite, and his charge was that they were not only failing to solve the greatest problems facing Americans, they were trying to stop anyone from even talking about those problems. “The special interests, the arrogant media, and the political insiders, don’t want me to talk about the crime that is happening in our country,” Trump said in one late September speech. “They want me to just go along with the same failed policies that have caused so much needless suffering.”

Trump claimed that Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton were willing to let ordinary Americans suffer because their first priority was political correctness. “They have put political correctness above common sense, above your safety, and above all else,” Trump declared after a Muslim gunman killed 49 people at a gay nightclub in Orlando. “I refuse to be politically correct.”

What liberals might have seen as language changing to reflect an increasingly diverse society – in which citizens attempt to avoid giving needless offence to one another – Trump saw a conspiracy.

Throughout an erratic campaign, Trump consistently blasted political correctness, blaming it for an extraordinary range of ills and using the phrase to deflect any and every criticism. During the first debate of the Republican primaries, Fox News host Megyn Kelly asked Trump how he would answer the charge that he was “part of the war on women”.

“You’ve called women you don’t like ‘fat pigs,’ ‘dogs,’ ‘slobs,’ and ‘disgusting animals’,” Kelly pointed out. “You once told a contestant on Celebrity Apprentice it would be a pretty picture to see her on her knees …”

“I think the big problem this country has is being politically correct,” Trump answered, to audience applause. “I’ve been challenged by so many people, I don’t frankly have time for total political correctness. And to be honest with you, this country doesn’t have time either.”

Trump used the same defence when critics raised questions about his statements on immigration. In June 2015, after Trump referred to Mexicans as “rapists”, NBC, the network that aired his reality show The Apprentice, announced that it was ending its relationship with him. Trump’s team retorted that, “NBC is weak, and like everybody else is trying to be politically correct...”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...y-donald-trump
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-17-2020 at 05:35 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Well, those scumbags are part of his base, so that comes as no surprise. But hey, her emails....!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Perhaps trivial or perhaps an example of how a lot of people tend to perceive liberals including a lot of liberals. Note, all these issue are important, very important. But a lot of it has been trivialized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
    Power with Girl is better.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Perhaps trivial or perhaps an example of how a lot of people tend to perceive liberals including a lot of liberals. Note, all these issue are important, very important. But a lot of it has been trivialized.
    And this is how many on the "right" are perceived based on both their behavior and actions.

Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-17-2020 at 06:10 PM.