For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    When could they have done that? Which filibuster proof majority with a Democratic President could have done that? And tell me how they could have done it without the Republicans reversing it once they took power? Or do you want a Constitutional Amendment with 3/4 the States voting for it? Do you think that could have ever happened?
    Let me know when you have a solid answer of when and how it could have been done.

But you see what the GOP just did and now blame the Democrats. Sheesh!
    Dems had a supermajority in 2009, but folks refuse to vote in the PRIMARIES in 2010, that definitely didn't help either.
    Last edited by Madam-Shogun-Assassin; 06-24-2022 at 03:34 PM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    Living in Indiana already sucks.

We've effectively eliminated all the legal hurdles to gun ownership, and there will be a special session next week that's going to fast track any abortion ban.

It's a conservative hellhole, and we choose to live this way.
    I'm in the same boat up here in NW Indiana. As to gunownership, I live not far from a notorious site for straw purchases, Westforth Sports. The FBI has been slow prosecuting the case against them but just this week a straw purchaser, who is a decorated veteran, got probation.

Earlier this week the paper had a couple of shootings, one in a Gary nightclub where there has been gun violence in the past. The mayor is ordering to be closed permanently. And as you probably already know, many straw purchases from this one small store have been used in many of the gang shootings in Chicago.

My suspicion is that there's not much concern for gun control when black people are the ones getting killed by gun violence.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-24-2022 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    I don’t need to be told Republicans want to restrict abortion rights. I know. We all know. They told us. I need to be told why in almost 50years Democrats never codified it into law? Let me know when y’all have a solid answer for that without flimsy excuses.
    When could they have done that? Which filibuster proof majority with a Democratic President could have done that? And tell me how they could have done it without the Republicans reversing it once they took power? Or do you want a Constitutional Amendment with 3/4 the States voting for it? Do you think that could have ever happened?
    Let me know when you have a solid answer of when and how it could have been done.

But you see what the GOP just did and now blame the Democrats. Sheesh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Yeah, that I don't understand. We knew we had a reason to be worried when Obama was cheated out of a Supreme Court choice by the loathesome Mitch McConnell. And people not voting for Hilllary gave us Trump who lucked into 3 Supreme Court justices. It also didn't help when Ruth Bader Ginsburg decided to tough it out and she passed away. The GOP got another pick in there and she was barely in the ground.
    I'm thinking...

"Right Around When Former President Obama promised that it would be the first thing that he did as President in front of Planned Parenthood...

https://twitter.com/ManuclearBomb/st...obama-abortion

https://www.indy100.com/politics/roe...obama-abortion

Obama reminded of what he said about abortions in 2009 after Roe v Wade is overturned

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    I'm thinking...

"Right Around When Former President Obama promised that it would be the first thing that he did as President in front of Planned Parenthood...

https://twitter.com/ManuclearBomb/st...obama-abortion

https://www.indy100.com/politics/roe...obama-abortion
    No one person can do it alone. By alone, I mean including the voters. You get what you vote for, or what the majority of others vote for.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Ohio says Hi and we know your pain.
    Missouri says 'Hold my beer.'

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Dems had a supermajority in 2009, but folks refuse to vote in the PRIMARIES in 2010, that definitely didn't help either.
    They barely got Obamcare passed and that was only with votes from Lieberman and Manchin, who refused to support the Publc Option. What makes you think they could have passed an abortion law?

And yes, it's the voters who forgot what a disaster Bush was two years after he fucked the economy. So again, how could the Dems have done this?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    I don't know why I bother posting in here, no-one seems to give a **** about much that I have to say so maybe this is pointless but I have a question:

How do y'all still believe the U.S is a democracy? It seems closer to an oligarchy to me. Anyway, onward we go...
    I definitely believe that elections and our government are set up in such a way that favors the rich. I also believe that when enough people throw up their hands and decide not to vote, things only shift further in that direction.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

So Obama said he was for the bill in 2007, then in 2009 said it wasn't his top priority. Hmm.? I guess saving the country from a total economic collapse should have taken a back seat.
    And as 30 would say, politely, it wasn't going to pass the frigging Senate. Not all 60 Dem and Independents were in favor.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Missouri says 'Hold my beer.'
    I've seen Boomtown once in person.

That was all the Missouri I could take in one lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    No one person can do it alone. By alone, I mean including the voters. You get what you vote for, or what the majority of others vote for.
    BUT HE PROMISED!!! He should have pulled a magic wand out of his ass and just changed the Constitution because HE PROMISED (despite the fact that he never used the word promise)! Maybe he assumed too much in thinking that certain people understood it to mean that he would sign the Bill once it passed Congress (which it never did), and not that he had the ability to just circumvent the whole legislative process.

More than a majority vote, though, the way our government is rigged against the majority.
    Last edited by 4saken1; 06-24-2022 at 04:54 PM.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Astonishing Member

They barely got Obamcare passed and that was only with votes from Lieberman and Manchin, who refused to support the Publc Option. What makes you think they could have passed an abortion law?

And yes, it's the voters who forgot what a disaster Bush was two years after he fucked the economy. So again, how could the Dems have done this?
    THANK YOU. People seem to conveniently forget political capital. Of course we WANT the Democrats to fix EVERYTHING and want it right now. But, the reality is Obama had to save us from a recession, he had to spend all his political capital on Obamacare when people prior to that were at the mercy of pre existing conditions.

And voters didn't turn out in midterms crippling further agenda items and leaving Mitch to deny him his SC nominee for a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Funny...

He did not let that stop him from promising that it would be the first thing that he would do.

Eventually?

It wound up on the same back burner as Card Check.

It is perfectly reasonable for folks to point out the degree to which his administration even attempted to take a run at doing what he promised would be the "First Thing..." he would do.

Mighty Member

The sad fact is, Progressives only dream about "The Revoloution", but conservatives went ahead and did it!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    The sad fact is, Progressives only dream about "The Revoloution", but conservatives went ahead and did it!
    I mean it's the truth. Their candidates do not even need to run on actual policies anymore. They just use fearmongering and promising to own the libs and put those minorities in their places.
    Their voters lap it up and vote for all elections. Hate and legislating the rest of the libs is a powerful motivator.