Quote Originally Posted by Xheight View Post
    nonsense? Read the hyperbole that babyblob is perpetuating - terrorists? Criminalizing dissent is an old establishment strategy. That W has joined up in this tarring of the constituency that ousted establishment Goppers should tell one enough that this is not about party but groundswell, and suppressing it.
    The fact that you excuse and are okay with Terrorists who attack police and try to attack law makers while shouting "Hang Mike Pence" and building gallows and wearing racist symbols while said law makers were doing their duty in certifying a fair and legal election says way more about you then it ever will about myself and others who are upset by those actions. And I find that there is no productive debate with people who believe the big lie and the the 6th is okay. So I am not going to debate this any more. I will say good day to you and your views.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I think anytime that a side goes out and comes up with means to "round up" votes they are going to be open to charges of harvesting, faking, soliciting and cooking ballots.
    Yeah, that's what Qpublicans do all right.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

I don't dispute that that he was stopped for a legit reason but what prompted that search - the politics of paranoia? Who knows indeed what crime he might have committed in our ever increasing "Precrime" world but we do know that in the city of DC just about anything that can be thought of as dangerous is made illegal already so it wouldn't take much to arrest anyone opposing the the government with anything more than a blog. I can see too that ranting in public is already a near crime to you blob.
    The last 4 years of this country and who the President was.
    Along with the fact guys with certain symbols and material have gotten violent with data to back it up.

Lets not forget how many have used the idea on precrime on black males and had ZERO issues with cops being called on.

Elijah McClain says HI.
    Trayvon Martin says HI.

What crimes were they committing? Because folks had ZERO issues with cops being called on them.

What crime could Elijah do? Ski Masks in a state that is COLD is not a crime. Nor is flailing your arms.
    I did not Arizona Tea and Skittles could be used as weapons.

The man was in a car with questionable symbols and near a political location. At a time we got people stalking places to assaults medical folks over masks. A President told a group to stand down and stand by.

Yeah cops are going to be called. He is LUCKY to be arrested. Some folks don't get that.

Mighty Member

I recall reading an article at CounterPunch about how it's time for us to abolish the U.S. Senate because it stands in the way of equality and progress. I know the author really stacked the deck in favor of making the Senate look like a bunch of rich, evil, entitled, white-racist plutocrats but...

the Senate isn't ALWAYS evil, right? deciding that we don't want or need the Senate anymore is kind of a big deal. personally, I'm against abolishing the Senate because... we still have the House of Representatives... and, honestly, it's worked out well enough for hundreds of years.

BANNED

Sounds about right in protecting the interests of that state and its people from Gross democracy; what was intentionally blunted in establishing a republic and protecting minority rights.
    Well, not minority rights. Maybe the right to keep minorities as property.

It is not land per se but the life, culture and interests of the people that are different. Steamrolling them with the masses is what part of "equity"?
    Equal value of votes. Equal representation.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    So what your saying is, going with Tami's example of Wyoming vs. NYC, that someone in Wyomings vote should be worth 15 peoples worth of people living in NYC?
    It's a weird position to have to defend.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    I recall reading an article at CounterPunch about how it's time for us to abolish the U.S. Senate because it stands in the way of equality and progress. I know the author really stacked the deck in favor of making the Senate look like a bunch of rich, evil, entitled, white-racist plutocrats but...

the Senate isn't ALWAYS evil, right? deciding that we don't want or need the Senate anymore is kind of a big deal. personally, I'm against abolishing the Senate because... we still have the House of Representatives... and, honestly, it's worked out well enough for hundreds of years.
    Well the original idea of the Senate was to be a respected body of elder statesmen that could be a check on shortsighted policies adopted by the House. The fact that small states would be overrepresented was not considered to be an issue since Senators were not directly elected and thus weren't expected to be partisan, and could thus be free to vote their conscience rather than being pressured into towing a party line. Of course, none of this quite worked out because politicians turned out to be far more strategic than the founding fathers had anticipated, and EVERY last one of their noble institutions were quickly filled up with partisan hacks. And the idea of protecting the rights of small states became an absolute farce as the country expanded westward, where states are less naturally formed communities of like-minded citizens, and more just literal rectangles drawn on a map without regard for either geography or demography.

That being said though, abolishing the Senate is another one of those ideas like abolishing the electoral college or packing the courts that is sort of putting the cart before the horse. If the left in this country somehow actually had the power to enact sweeping reforms to all of these rotten political institutions, then why should we stop there and not try to directly enact all of the actual policies we're advocating for? Abolishing the Senate would be much harder than passing Medicare for all or immigration reform, and accomplish much less, so why even bother entertaining the idea?

Something I saw a few days ago. Apparently Al Franken mentioned in an interview that he hasn't ruled out the possibility of running for political office (he didn't say which office).

Maybe he should consider running for Mayor of Minneapolis.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Biden Declassifies Secret FBI Report Detailing Saudi Nationals' Connections To 9/11

The Biden administration has declassified a 16-page FBI report tying 9/11 hijackers to Saudi nationals living in the United States. The document, written in 2016, summarized an FBI investigation into those ties called Operation ENCORE.

The partially redacted report shows a closer relationship than had been previously known between two Saudis in particular — including one with diplomatic status — and some of the hijackers. Families of the 9/11 victims have long sought after the report, which painted a starkly different portrait than the one described by the 9/11 Commission Report in 2004.

While the commission was largely unable to tie the Saudi men to the hijackers, the FBI document describes multiple connections and phone calls.

Years ago, the commission wrote that when it came to the Saudi diplomat Fahad al-Thumairy, "We have not found evidence that Thumairy provided assistance to the two hijackers." A decade later, it appears FBI agents came to a different conclusion. The report says Thumairy "tasked" an associate to help the hijackers when they arrived in Los Angeles and told the associate the hijackers were "two very significant people" more than a year before the attacks.

Maria Teresa Kumar: the attack on voting rights is an orchestrated operation

There are different types of extremists in this world: the ones who ploughed planes into the World Trade Center and the ones who stormed the Capitol on January 6th. They both have the same goal in mind: to prevent democracy in America. The Trump-led insurrection has morphed into an attack on voting rights and it’s happening at a state house near you. Despite certifying a fair election last year, Republican states are enacting further restrictions on voting. But this is not a grassroots effort led by citizens concerned with the sanctity of the voting booth. It’s an orchestrated, astroturf, multimillion dollar effort funded by the ultra conservative groups like the Heritage Foundation Action Fund - a sister organization to the Heritage Foundation. Mother Jones reports, “in a private meeting with big-money donors, the head of a top conservative group boasted that her outfit had crafted the new voter suppression law in Georgia and was doing the same with similar bills for republican state legislators across the country.” Wealthy, conservative groups have found a way to rig the system.

The California recall has failed.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Another overlooked facet of the the series of events leading up to 9/11 is tied to Sarasota county in Florida.

The hijackers Mohammed Atta and Marwan al-Shehhi rented a house in Venice in Sarasota county for part of the time leading up to 9/11. Both of them went to Huffman Aviation in Venice with a briefcase containing $20,000 in cash to pay for flying lessons. Most of the 19 hijackers didn't even speak English. After the events of 9/11 many began to wonder how this group carried out this plan.

Florida Sen. Bob Graham, who led the Senate Intelligence Committee that investigated 9/11, said crucial information was never provided to Congress or the public. He fought for 15 years to get classified documents released.

“Did these 19 people, most of whom did not speak English, most of whom had never been in the United States before, most of whom were not well educated, did they carry out this sophisticated attack alone, or did they have some form of support while they were in the United States?” Sen. Graham said in a speech to the National Press Club in 2016 after the federal government declassified 28 pages that were redacted in the original 9/11 Commission Report.

Graham believes a family that lived in the upscale, gated Prestancia neighborhood in Sarasota was involved.
    excerpt from an article in The Herald Tribune (Sept 9 2021)

PRESTANCIA HOUSE

A family from Saudi Arabia said to have connections to the Saudi Royal Family, fled their posh Sarasota home hurriedly two weeks before 9/11 and left behind clothes, jewelry, and cars. Logs from the community's gate showed that the three hijackers were frequent visitors to the home. None of the information was ever included in the "9/11 Commission Report" and since the FBI has yet to release to the public the full unredacted report, the entirety of this Sarasota connection to 9/11 remains unknown. For years, Bob Graham, a former Florida governor and U.S. senator, pushed to successfully have portions of the reports on the family declassified.
    Why is this full story about this connection to the Saudi Royal Family still being hidden?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Another overlooked facet of the the series of events leading up to 9/11 is tied to Sarasota county in Florida.

The hijackers Mohammed Atta and Marwan al-Shehhi rented a house in Venice in Sarasota county for part of the time leading up to 9/11. Both of them went to Huffman Aviation in Venice with a briefcase containing $20,000 in cash to pay for flying lessons. Most of the 19 hijackers didn't even speak English. After the events of 9/11 many began to wonder how this group carried out this plan.

excerpt from an article in The Herald Tribune (Sept 9 2021)

Why is this full story about this connection to the Saudi Royal Family still being hidden?
    I thought it just was declassified. What else is missing?

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    was this ever really a thing? I live in one of the more conservative areas of California, and I didn't feel any energy for this recall.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    was this ever really a thing? I live in one of the more conservative areas of California, and I didn't feel any energy for this recall.
    Considering Newsom is winning right now with an almost 2 to 1 margin... it doesn't seem to be a thing, no.

It was likely a combination that the loudest people calling for it were being overreported on by the media, and polls weren't accurate because people are just being shy about supporting Democrats... maybe because people on the right are becoming more demonstrably violent these days. (See 6th, January).
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Considering Newsom is winning right now with an almost 2 to 1 margin... it doesn't seem to be a thing, no.

It was likely a combination that the loudest people calling for it were being overreported on by the media, and polls weren't accurate because people are just being shy about supporting Democrats... maybe because people on the right are becoming more demonstrably violent these days. (See 6th, January).
    The rss feed headline I remember was "Democrat was in for close race until Republican started talking."
    Dark does not mean deep.