Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
I think the answer to that is yes. Yes they should get more. Teachers always should be making more than they do. So we can attract more and better qualified teachers. They shouldn't be barely making ends meet. There is always this argument that actual everyday people making money is somehow bad. Or there just isn't enough to go around when it comes to taking care of regular people. But somehow corporations making billions in profits in a pandemic is fine.
One problem with all of this: the public education system isn't a for-profit corporation. If teachers' salaries are raised, it comes out of a budget that is supplied in part by local tax payers. So it's a bigger balancing act when it comes to raising teachers' salaries without a significant raise in how much more in taxes the parents and other people will have to pay to cover the raises.

And for the record, I definitely agree that teachers should be better compensated in many places around the country. I worked for several years as a substitute teacher in one community (the one where I currently live, though I wasn't a resident in the town when I was working there), so my sympathies are with the educators and others that support the kids (like the special education aides, etc.). But how do you find that magic number where the teachers make enough $'s without raising the taxes to a level that make it a hardship for the average taxpayer?