Biden to Begin New Asia-Pacific Economic Bloc With a Dozen Allies

TOKYO — President Biden has enlisted a dozen Asia-Pacific nations to join a new loosely defined economic bloc meant to counter China’s dominance and reassert American influence in the region five years after his predecessor withdrew the United States from a sweeping trade accord that it had negotiated itself.

The alliance will bring the United States together with such regional powerhouses as Japan, South Korea and India to establish new rules of commerce in the fastest-growing part of the world and offer an alternative to Beijing’s leadership. But wary of liberal opposition at home, Mr. Biden’s new partnership will avoid the market access provisions of traditional trade deals, raising questions about how meaningful it will be.

“We’re writing the new rules for the 21st-century economy,” Mr. Biden said on Monday in Tokyo during the launch for what he has termed the Indo-Pacific Economic Framework. “We’re going to help all of our country’s economies grow faster and fairer.”
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    It is odd to see the different reaction from the fanbases, I'm not a fan of the Harry Potter series/Rowlingverse but I have many friends who are and there's almost universal disappointment and sadness among those who are aware of her stances. The only complaints I hear from Chapelle fans tends to be he's not funny anymore, and is doing more of a storytelling Henry Rollins deal rather than stand-up.
    Well, J.K. Rowling is not a comedian. As a writer, she had the reputation to speak with her heart: when she spoke, you believed her.

Comedians, funny people can say awful things just to make fun…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

The problem I have with JK Rowling is why she could only tell us, after the fact, that Dumbledore was gay all along. I mean, seven novels, over 5,000 pages, and she couldn't devote a chapter to a flashback showing Dumbledore as gay, or even a page or two of Dumbledore giving Harry advice by mentioning a crush he had on another boy during his years as a student at Hogwarts? I guess Joann forgot that showing beats telling.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Well, J.K. Rowling is not a comedian. As a writer, she had the reputation to speak with her heart: when she spoke, you believed her.

Comedians, funny people can say awful things just to make fun…
    I think that hits the nail on the head. I also think that for many people in the LGBT community, Harry Potter provided a safe space for them. There's a lot of comfort in reading a story about a kid who is whisked away from their miserable life where what makes them different and a pariah is actually what makes them special. There's something to be said for that.

I don't think many Chappelle fans have that same relationship with his work.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    No one is villainizing Chapelle. He's doing that himself.
    then why are so many people complaining about him?

"villainize" is to treat or revile somebody as a villain. to speak ill of, to disparage someone as a villainous person. it's an act of passing moral judgement, and saying so, about a person within the context of a larger cultural situation or a narrative.

does it -really- look like he's doing that to himself?

so, by that line of argument, when Trump supporters villainize Hilary Clinton that's just Clinton doing that to herself?

deciding that people are base, crude, or evil is something that every culture and person does. which is why I said that if people want to villainize him that's their right.

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    then why are so many people complaining about him?

"villainize" is to treat or revile somebody as a villain. to speak ill of, to disparage someone as a villainous person. it's an act of passing moral judgement, and saying so, about a person within the context of a larger cultural situation or a narrative.

does it -really- look like he's doing that to himself?

so, by that line of argument, when Trump supporters villainize Hilary Clinton that's just Clinton doing that to herself?

deciding that people are base, crude, or evil is something that every culture and person does. which is why I said that if people want to villainize him that's their right.
    Oh for god's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I think that hits the nail on the head. I also think that for many people in the LGBT community, Harry Potter provided a safe space for them. There's a lot of comfort in reading a story about a kid who is whisked away from their miserable life where what makes them different and a pariah is actually what makes them special. There's something to be said for that.
    Many of us who grew up with that series also got some of our moral principles from it. It always stressed how you should stand up for those who are at a disadvantage and that prejudice is wrong. Which is why we have been so upset when Rowling basically revealed herself to be Umbridge in real life.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Many of us who grew up with that series also got some of our moral principles from it. It always stressed how you should stand up for those who are at a disadvantage and that prejudice is wrong. Which is why we have been so upset when Rowling basically revealed herself to be Umbridge in real life.
    It’s probably not going to be a popular view…but I’ve been surprised that there hasn’t been more sympathy for her (JK Rowlings) views, albeit they are unpalatable in one specific area.

Assuming that her overall comments are true (and I think she’s an essentially truthful person) I’d argue that her blind spot on trans rights is down to fear (because of specific personal circumstances) rather than hatred.

I’m not suggesting that people shouldn’t make their disagreements known…but I have certainly been surprised at the way that a fair number of actors who saw their massively successful careers launched on the back of her story telling ability have commented on her in such a dismissive way…as if she’s a thoroughly evil person, rather than regard her as a decent person with a couple of significant weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    It’s probably not going to be a popular view…but I’ve been surprised that there hasn’t been more sympathy for her (JK Rowlings) views, albeit they are unpalatable in one specific area.

Assuming that her overall comments are true (and I think she’s an essentially truthful person) I’d argue that her blind spot on trans rights is down to fear (because of specific personal circumstances) rather than hatred.

I’m not suggesting that people shouldn’t make their disagreements known…but I have certainly been surprised at the way that a fair number of actors who saw their massively successful careers launched on the back of her story telling ability have commented on her in such a dismissive way…as if she’s a thoroughly evil person, rather than regard her as a decent person with a couple of significant weaknesses.
    That is why it's called transphobia.

The problem with her is mainly that she is of course free to express her opinions, but she has been completely dismissive of anyone who tried to get her to see the other side of it (I don't like to use the word "educate" because people tend to have a knee-jerk reaction to it and I get why, but that's basically what people tried to do). She just kept doubling down on, without apparently giving any thought to how much damage she can cause because of her influence. From my perspective she seems rather stubborn and childish and I expected better from her.

And that is aside from how she wanted credit for supporting LGBT+ rights because of Dumbledore and then being ok that there was no explicit confirmation on screen in the previous Fantastic beasts movie.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

My guess is not throwing out the ballots of poor and minority folk, or urban folk, or anyone likely to vote for Biden over Trump. Every election is pre-rigged now. Every election they win is won despite being rigged against them. They're in their bubble, and if people like her get their way there will be no Blue Georgia or meaningful voice of minority voters come this fall and especially in 2024.
    Actually looked at the clip a couple of times...

She pointed out that they were the highest "Constitutional Officers..." or something along that line before she got off on a tangent about how cops at all levels could be an issue.

It felt a lot like the "Ammon Bundy..." sort of angle.

If that's where you are at?

You need to either be "In..." or "Out..."

Just not a lot of middle ground there.

Astonishing Member

Russian sentenced to life in Ukraine's 1st war crimes trial

KYIV, Ukraine -- A captured Russian soldier who pleaded guilty to killing a civilian was sentenced by a Ukrainian court Monday to life in prison — the maximum — amid signs the Kremlin may, in turn, put on trial some of the fighters who surrendered at Mariupol’s steelworks.

Meanwhile, in a rare public expression of opposition to the war from the ranks of the Russian elite, a veteran Kremlin diplomat resigned and sent a scathing letter to foreign colleagues in which he said of the invasion, “Never have I been so ashamed of my country as on Feb. 24."
    In the first of what could be a multitude of war crimes trials held by Ukraine, Russian Sgt. Vadim Shishimarin, 21, was sentenced for the killing of a 62-year-old man who was shot in the head in a village in the northeastern Sumy region in the opening days of the war.

Shishimarin, a member of a tank unit, had claimed he was following orders, and he apologized to the man's widow in court.
    Russia will definitely retaliate and make up some charges for any soldier they capture.

That is why it's called transphobia.

The problem with her is mainly that she is of course free to express her opinions, but she has been completely dismissive of anyone who tried to get her to see the other side of it (I don't like to use the word "educate" because people tend to have a knee-jerk reaction to it and I get why, but that's basically what people tried to do). She just kept doubling down on, without apparently giving any thought to how much damage she can cause because of her influence. From my perspective she seems rather stubborn and childish and I expected better from her.

And that is aside from how she wanted credit for supporting LGBT+ rights because of Dumbledore and then being ok that there was no explicit confirmation on screen in the previous Fantastic beasts movie.
    I actually didn’t mention the term “transphobia”.

But definition of various phobias can imply hatred as well as fear.

But if you believe that it does imply just irrational fear (rather than hatred): then why don’t you have sympathy for some one with an irrational fear?

Ultimate Member

It is odd to see the different reaction from the fanbases, I'm not a fan of the Harry Potter series/Rowlingverse but I have many friends who are and there's almost universal disappointment and sadness among those who are aware of her stances. The only complaints I hear from Chapelle fans tends to be he's not funny anymore, and is doing more of a storytelling Henry Rollins deal rather than stand-up.
    One built a franchise that spawned an empire.

The other didn't.

One started the careers of a TON of folks.

The other didn't.

One has stuff everywhere from books to games to movies to toys that still make money.

The other? Tried to stop his first tv show Buddies (Home Improvement spinoff) from being released on dvd. Control freak behavior of locking up cell phones is probably a HUGE turnoff-I wouldn't pay to see him.

One can reach way more folks.

The other doesn't.

One is slightly hurting their franchise.

The other? SOMETHING is hurting Netflix's numbers.

Astonishing Member

David Perdue on Stacey Abrams: “Let her go back where she came from .. She doesn’t care about people from GA .. She is demeaning her own race.”

Good lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Oh, so they should be thankful for being compared to white people wearing blackface?
    The material about his friendship with Daphne was moving. I don't think there's anyone listening to that who is convinced to beat up trans people.

So far the only assault inspired by Chapelle's shows was the guy who ran up on stage to attack him, claiming that he was triggered.

https://www.thewrap.com/dave-chappel...owl-interview/

That goes both ways. If people should only come to a stand-up comedy if they are ready to feel insulted, then people should also only come to a discussion about politics if they are ready to be called on their arguments.

If we go with the theory that people who attack those they percieve as weaker then them, either individuals who are physically smaller or minorities, are actually insecure themselves and just need that feeling of superiority because they can't achieve anything meaningful by themselves. Then how insecure does someone have to feel to target the minority that is by all acounts at the very bottom of the social ladder?
    When it comes to what people should expect, part of it is about the culture of a climate and what's said explicitly.

With comedy clubs, there is an understanding that comedians will sometimes try out material that just isn't going to work.

We can easily be mistaken when trying to mindread someone's motivations. It could very well be a response to positions taken by cultural tastemakers, who are powerful people.

I'm not going to go with that theory. we're talking about a comedian who makes millions of dollars a year. his parents were both successful and well-established people living in Washington D.C. he already HAS done plenty of things that are "meaningful" in the usual sense of that word. this is purely speculation on your part.

I've met a lot of guys over the years where insulting people is basically the ONLY way they know how to make jokes. (two of my three bosses are like this)

there are plenty of stand-up comedians that indulge in this sort of behavior... so, I would argue that even going to a comedy club automatically puts you "at risk"... if not from the comedians, then from the other people in the venue at the very least. when Mister Mets suggests that a comedy club is NOT a good environment for this sort of sensitive person he didn't appear to be making the 'grow a pair' argument to me. maybe I don't know him well enough to read between the lines.

now, people are at liberty to complain about Chapelle and villainize him as much as they want. just don't expect everybody to respond in the same way. for every person that decides to "cancel" the fellow there will be another that decides that they like him even more. some people, who were previously ambivalent, might decide that they admire him because they share his views on a particular issue.

this is why I argued that it would be better to ignore Chapelle instead of asking people to retweeting about his words and behavior as much as possible.
    Yeah, this person and their sister were too sensitive for a comedian like John Mulaney. They don't need to seek out those kind of potentially traumatic experiences.

Honestly, I'm against the whole idea of reading between the lines. That's the easiest way to get things wrong about other people, which is going to make it harder to persuade them.

Fingers crossed she'll lose the primary to either the incumbent Republican Governor or the former Senator backed by Trump.

Rowling has a much larger audience, and it starts broader.
    Chapelle is great at what he does, but woke scolds would have recognized he's not for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    The problem I have with JK Rowling is why she could only tell us, after the fact, that Dumbledore was gay all along. I mean, seven novels, over 5,000 pages, and she couldn't devote a chapter to a flashback showing Dumbledore as gay, or even a page or two of Dumbledore giving Harry advice by mentioning a crush he had on another boy during his years as a student at Hogwarts? I guess Joann forgot that showing beats telling.
    Here I think you're blaming Rowling for failing to stick to today's standards in a book series that concluded in 2007. It wasn't until 2019 that the Marvel Cinematic Universe, to go with a project with a similar scope and cultural impact, had an openly gay character in the films.

LOL, how gracious and polite of you.

at least he thought the author was sincere.

"grow a pair" sounds somewhat better than "is this person a delusional idiot or a feckless liar?" (which, I have to admit, was my first reaction to reading that stuff)

if people don't like Chapelle then they shouldn't be giving him free publicity complaining about him on social media! they should focus on other stuff that they like. life is too short. it's not like all of those people who complained about "Married with Children" or "South Park" ever got them taken off the air.
    I do take them literally and seriously. If the person was lying, it would be a shitty thing to do. In that case, they're either trolling sensitive progressives, or exaggerating their pain, which makes their side less credible.

I'll note a difference response to sensitivity in spaces going after Chapelle when it comes to their responses to parents objecting to material in schools. There's limited ideological consistency.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets