Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    No shutdown....at least for 45 days.
    Virginia GOP was s***ting their pants about their chances in the off-year election if Gaetz and the goon squad shut down the federal government in the state with more federal workers than any other.

Conveniently, this potential shutdown is averted until after the election takes place.

I don't know if you believe in coincidences, but I don't.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

And it looks like Rand Paul did not seize the opportunity to be Rand Paul and didn't try and stop something nearly everyone else wanted.

Mark that down, it doesn't happen every day.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Rep. Bowman under investigation for pulling fire alarm as McCarthy compares it to Jan. 6

So this is just baffling, and not a good look for the Democrats. That said, of course McCarthy just had to take it that one step too far, comparing it to January 6.

"When you think about how other people were treated when they come in and wanted to change the course of what was happening in the building," McCarthy said.[

Bowman's staff aren't helping anything with their 'explanation' either.

So he didn't know pulling the fire alarm would trigger an alarm for the whole building? What exactly did he think would happen?
    He tried to use an emergency only exit, which triggered the alarm. The sign on the exit has been posted on social media and is a bit confusing.
    The exit he usually used was locked because Congress was working after hours. Also, it wasn't even inside the Capitol, but a House office building he was trying leave. The alarm would never have interrupted Congress' work.

Nothingburger.
    Last edited by CaptainEurope; 09-30-2023 at 08:54 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post

Yet openly promoting white nationalism, supporting insurrection and unconstitutionally targeting black, Latino and LGBT Americans doesn't make that list for you.
    Thank you for bringing it up. I was going to myself.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    And it looks like Rand Paul did not seize the opportunity to be Rand Paul and didn't try and stop something nearly everyone else wanted.

Mark that down, it doesn't happen every day.
    There’s a slight smell of some of the usual suspects fearing they’d get the blame for the shutdown in spite of their usual propaganda, either because Dems successfully turned enough of the political narrative to do so, or because they simply realized that they haven’t *ever* gotten a boost from any of the shutdowns and usually take the heat eventually anyway.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/...spapers-office

Mayor suspends police chief who led raid of rural Kansas newspaper’s office
    The police chief who led a highly criticized raid of a small Kansas newspaper has been suspended, the mayor confirmed to The Associated Press on Saturday.

Marion Mayor Dave Mayfield in a text said he suspended Chief Gideon Cody on Thursday. He declined to discuss his decision further and did not say whether Cody was still being paid.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    Thank you for bringing it up. I was going to myself.
    It says a lot that certain people feel they can show so little concern for LGBT Americans, women and people of color in this country without consequence.

And for all his talk about civility and being polite he has little criticism when others break those rules and directly insult those he disagrees with.

As stated before however -- it's always good to know where people stand especially when they spend much of that time pretending to be "allies".

Even Bernie Sanders learned enough over the past few years to speak out against racism, sexism, homophobia and bigotry directly.

This is just another reminder that many of his "followers" only real concern is for the rights of straight white males -- not women, LGBT citizens or people of color.

Notably -- even when Democrats win elections and place individuals like Sanders in a position of power he still criticizes them and not Republicans.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 09-30-2023 at 11:07 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    He tried to use an emergency only exit, which triggered the alarm. The sign on the exit has been posted on social media and is a bit confusing.
    The exit he usually used was locked because Congress was working after hours. Also, it wasn't even inside the Capitol, but a House office building he was trying leave. The alarm would never have interrupted Congress' work.

Yet 30 is claiming he should lose his place in congress without knowing any of the facts.

Hypocrisy -- plain and simple.

Especially considering he has made comparatively few such complaints regarding even worse Republican behavior -- including the actual shutdown itself.

Setting off a fire alarm is a worse political offense than targeting "minorities" with unconstitutional policies -- for those who support Republicans.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 09-30-2023 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Virginia GOP was s***ting their pants about their chances in the off-year election if Gaetz and the goon squad shut down the federal government in the state with more federal workers than any other.

Conveniently, this potential shutdown is averted until after the election takes place.

I don't know if you believe in coincidences, but I don't.
    Yeah. I was kind of wondering why it was 45 days and not 30 or 60. Delaying it until after local elections makes a perverse sort of sense.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Yeah. I was kind of wondering why it was 45 days and not 30 or 60. Delaying it until after local elections makes a perverse sort of sense.
    Of course. It was just to try and save their own skins rather than because shutting down the government like this is an objectively stupid thing to do. The second they're no longer at risk, they'll be right back to trying to shut things down.

And for all his talk about civility and being polite he has little criticism when others break those rules and directly insult those he disagrees with.

On this one particular element...

This thread went off of the rails a long ways back when it comes to that. Happens on both sides with each side seemingly being unwilling to take as much as a moment to seriously look at if they are doing what they accuse the other of doing.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Personally...

I am uncomfortable with the way folks have been "Protecting..." their own personal property with firearms here as of late.

Business getting tossed onto that pile?

There has to be a better way.

Have my doubts about if America will ever find any better way, but that it is a different discussion.

Because Republicans.

On this one particular element...

This thread went off of the rails a long ways back when it comes to that. Happens on both sides with each side seemingly being unwilling to take as much as a moment to seriously look at if they are doing what they accuse the other of doing.
    Yet you usually only call out "one side" for doing so -- even when they aren't insulting people and are simply pointing out facts.

It's not an "insult" to point out blatant political hypocrisy -- especially when it often has racist and homophobic overtones.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 09-30-2023 at 11:38 PM.

Yet you usually only call out "one side" for doing so -- even when they aren't insulting people and are simply pointing out facts.

It's not an "insult" to point out blatant political hypocrisy -- especially when it often has rasict and homophobic overtones.
    Another example of exactly what I am talking about.

Probably not a whole lot to discuss past that.

Past that though...

This supposed other "Side..."?

Could I have a list of exactly how man folks make that supposed "Side..." up?

Don't even need user names, mind you.

Just a number of exactly how many folks we are talking about.

Ultimate Member

Just a number of exactly how many folks we are talking about.

Make your own list -- that question is irrelevant when the issue at hand is hypocrisy and who is engaging in said behavior.

Another example of exactly what I am talking about.

Probably not a whole lot to discuss past that.
    Right -- no need to discuss attacks on minorites by Republicans because "those people" are not your real concern.

Regardless -- pointing out known rhetorial "tricks" -- whether intentional or otherwise -- is not an insult.

To the contrary it is often necessary to prevent wasting time engaging in bad faith arguments.

The same applies to those who repeatedly engage in political hypocrisy and feel that they shouldn't be held accountable for their own words.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 10-01-2023 at 07:36 AM.