Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Bottom line: Qpublicans are whining like spoiled children that social media platforms denied them their First Amendment right to spread outright lies, disinformation and, in the case of Trump, fire up his lemmings to storm the Capitol Building. This doesn’t have jack **** to do with politics, but right wingers breaking rules with their abhorrent behavior on those aforementioned platforms. Short and sweet, screw ‘em!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    And no Social Media is not a human right. No one has a right to Twitter, Snapchat, or Instagram. Those are luxuries and rather silly ones at that.

The Internet yes, job sites, new sites yes. Social Media? No. The internet and Social Media are not the same.

I can do all I need to do with my Mental health scheduling, shopping, Doctors, Social Security, etc... All without going on to Facebook or Twitter.
    Yeah because you happen to live in a place that had widespread internet access before the advent of social media, but in a lot of poorer countries where people have started getting online only recently, it's pretty typical to schedule an appointment through WhatsApp or do your shopping through Facebook groups. It's a lot easier for business or government agency to just make a social media profile than to design an entire website, and since most people in these countries access the internet through their phone rather than a computer, there's really not much point to having a website that isn't optimized for how most people will use your service.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Yeah because you happen to live in a place that had widespread internet access before the advent of social media, but in a lot of poorer countries where people have started getting online only recently, it's pretty typical to schedule an appointment through WhatsApp or do your shopping through Facebook groups. It's a lot easier for business or government agency to just make a social media profile than to design an entire website, and since most people in these countries access the internet through their phone rather than a computer, there's really not much point to having a website that isn't optimized for how most people will use your service.
    To be honest this is true. I am not in other countries so I dont know how that is. Facebook I can see more then Twitter and Snap Chat and Insta being a human right. But here in The USA they are mostly used for dumb crap. I honestly cant speak for the uses of other countries. If they found a way to make them useful good for them.

But it is still a much better idea for the private social media companies to decide what is best on their site rather then the government.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

To be honest this is true. I am not in other countries so I dont know how that is. Facebook I can see more then Twitter and Snap Chat and Insta being a human right. But here in The USA they are mostly used for dumb crap. I honestly cant speak for the uses of other countries. If they found a way to make them useful good for them.

But it is still a much better idea for the private social media companies to decide what is best on their site rather then the government.
    It honestly doesn't make much sense to go through the time and effort to design, host, and maintain a separate website these days, when making a basic social media profile gives you a far cheaper and easier way to have an online presence. Given the sheer volume of users and just how much people depend on them, it is hard to argue that social media companies should have any more control over what happens on THEIR platform than power companies have over what happens on THEIR grid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    No, because more people use FB. A newspaper can choose what articles or letters to print, whether it's the NY Times or the local paper in a small town
    Why can't FB police it's platform?
    No on has a right to use Twitter.

You aren't rude, you are just wrong.
    Politely, you ain't even anywhere near the ballpark there...

Take a minute...

Since the restart, think about the most out there nonsense you have seen someone post here.

Again...

"Apple..."/"Orange..."

There is no need to police crime that is not taking place.

So...

What is in blue?

You kinda look like you are hunting for people who are saying that even though there was nothing like that in the quoted post.

It honestly doesn't make much sense to go through the time and effort to design, host, and maintain a separate website these days, when making a basic social media profile gives you a far cheaper and easier way to have an online presence. Given the sheer volume of users and just how much people depend on them, it is hard to argue that social media companies should have any more control over what happens on THEIR platform than power companies have over what happens on THEIR grid.
    Well these are world wide companies with a massive amount of employees, and like most world wide companies couldnt they just have standards for the regions they are in? Like they could have an American division, a EU division, etc.. So it wouldnt be American standards of political hate speech or whatever being enforced in the IK where things may be different.

But there are standards of hate Speech that are world wide. Slurs racial or sexual should not be allowed any where in the world. Advocating violence should not be okay any where in the world. Those are not American standards those should he human standards. If a political party ion the UK is planning or advocating a Jan 6th style coup on social media then they should be banned.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

Well these are world wide companies with a massive amount of employees, and like most world wide companies couldnt they just have standards for the regions they are in? Like they could have an American division, a EU division, etc.. So it wouldnt be American standards of political hate speech or whatever being enforced in the IK where things may be different.

But there are standards of hate Speech that are world wide. Slurs racial or sexual should not be allowed any where in the world. Advocating violence should not be okay any where in the world. Those are not American standards those should he human standards. If a political party ion the UK is planning or advocating a Jan 6th style coup on social media then they should be banned.
    You're opening up a whole another can of worms now, because the scope of acceptable public demonstration is not really a settled issue. Social media is used to plan protests around the world, and despite what we would like to believe, these are never entirely peaceful. Should Facebook just ban ALL of these protestors, or only those whose aims conflict with the geopolitical interests of the country where it is headquartered? In many countries there really isn't that much of a difference between an anti-government protest and a race riot, do you really trust Mark Zuckerberg to draw the line on that in some country he's never even heard of?
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 09-11-2021 at 04:30 PM.

You're opening up a whole another can of worms now, because the scope of acceptable public demonstration is not really a settled issue. Social media is used to plan protests around the world, and despite what we would like to believe, these are never entirely peaceful. Should Facebook just ban ALL of these protestors, or only those whose aims conflict with the geopolitical interests of the country where it is headquartered? In many countries there really isn't that much of a difference between an anti-government protest and a race riot, do you really trust Mark Zuckerberg to draw the line on that in some country he's never even heard of?
    I darn sure dont Trust the QOP in my country to make a law defining what is and what is not hate speech or a speech intended to advocate violence. I cant think of anyone who in their right mind would trust the QOP to do this.

I like how we're now so casually referring to the Republican Party as the GQP or QOP. I wonder how much of a meme that's becoming in other corners of the internet.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I like how we're now so casually referring to the Republican Party as the GQP or QOP. I wonder how much of a meme that's becoming in other corners of the internet.
    Think about how often you hear anyone who isn't Mark Levin say "Democrat..." party.

It has most likely caught on to a comparable degree.

It's becoming a real thing. GQP Urban Dictionary
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    It's becoming a real thing. GQP Urban Dictionary
    Well now! That’s pretty damn cool!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

American politics have been a meme for the last 6 years. Hell long before that. if they could have a meme on a lithograph it would have happened.

BANNED

American politics have been a meme for the last 6 years. Hell long before that. if they could have a meme on a lithograph it would have happened.
    It only got to be like this because the social media platforms waited until AFTER something happened to start banning people, even though everyone had known for years that they were being used to spread disinformation and propaganda, because of course trying to tamp down on this before it gets problematic would be aUtHoRiTaRiAn ThOuGhTcRiMeS.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

It's now easier than ever to prove the types of coordination that would swing a state legislative race, to say nothing of a statewide race which requires fabricating/ altering/ erasing more votes.

This can change if we go with stupid laws (IE- if we ensure that there's less of a paper trail.)
    Still waiting for a list of states where this election fraud has been occurring.
    Since the election security legislation seems to be concentrated in Republican-controlled states should I assume those are the culprits?
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe